Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England v West Indies 2017

Comments

• Disappointed that Cook in particular bit also Root slowed down right when the ball amd the conditions were supposed to be at their easiest. The ball was old and not moving but hadn't completely deteriorated and it was the middle session, 2 set batsmen, should be time to cash in before the next new ball and fading light. But they slowed down. It's not a major issue but as I said above the reports are that this pink ball is very tough to bat against for 10-15 overs then gets much easier. You have to cash in when the going gets easier otherwise you make it much harder when the next new ball appears.

Overall pretty happy though. If we can see off the new ball and Stokes/ Bairstow can have a go tomorrow we should pass 550 then stick them in. Give our swing bowlers (Jimmy and TRJ) the new ball and hope to have them 4 down early.

I know what you mean .. BUT .. remember the Ozzies are next up and our batsmen have been .. a) slated for lack of 'test match' application and b) getting out to frivolous strokes/mediocre bowlers .. I would hope that Capn and VCapn were out to set a good example of not giving it away unnecessarily even against bowlers who'd find it hard to get into a decent standard league club side .. I hate to say it, but this series should act as a good set of practice matches/morale boosters for the trip down under .. and Westley, Malan and Stoneman still need to prove that they are 'real' test quality
    I think you mean EX captain and captain :-)
  • 200 up for Cook

Malan has 50
  • This isn't much of a contest. More like an exhibition game
  • I fear that these two Tests against the Windies will worsen our chances of picking the right tour party for Oz or at best will leave us none the wiser.
  • I still struggle to take in how much the Windies have deteriorated in recent times. Having grown up watching Lloyd, Richards, Marshall, Holding (the list is endless) terrorise us it's bizarre. I know these things go in cycles, but from what you hear people in the Caribbean just aren't into cricket like they used to be, it's all basketball nowadays.
  • England starting to make a pigs ear of this. I'm all for putting their foot down, but just lost 3 wickets for hardly any runs - Stokes, Bairstow & Ali all out without adding more than 30 between them/
  • Cook out for 243. England declare 514-8
  • England starting to make a pigs ear of this. I'm all for putting their foot down, but just lost 3 wickets for hardly any runs - Stokes, Bairstow & Ali all out without adding more than 30 between them/

It's called throwing your bat at the ball to get some quick runs before declaring.

I reckon we'll have at least 3 of them out before cop and hopefully 4 or 5.
  • edited August 2017
    0-1 Braithwaite out, caught Bairstow, bowled Anderson

It's called throwing your bat at the ball to get some quick runs before declaring.

I reckon we'll have at least 3 of them out before cop and hopefully 4 or 5.
    Ahem.
  • Sponsored links:

• Get TRJ on. Isn't it obvious. The ball only swings for 10-15 overs. Why not bowl both your swing bowlers then?
    That would be too simple for England.
  • Broad's swinging it though!
  • And TRJ is more of a seamer who gets it to bounce...
  • TRJ would swing it more.
  • 47-4 Anderson responsible for all 3 wickets today
  • This session 6 overs, 3 runs, 3 wickets
  • been impressed with TRJ - another player who has found the step up to Test cricket not quite a 'chasm'. Queue Nomadic to come on and say its 'only' the Windies.
  • Sponsored links:

• Its been bugging me for some time trying to remember who it is that TRJ's bowling action is like, and it just came to me...Martin Bicknell.
  • edited August 2017
    Marais Erasmus is overruled yet again .. as an umpire he makes a good statue
  • Marais Erasmus is overruled yet again .. as an umpire he makes a good statue

Doesnt get many wrong.
  • Some youngsters may think this West Indies side is terrible but about twenty years ago they were worse. Remember Gough and Caddick ripping through them, Caddick took four wickets in an over in one match. I am sure bowled them out for fifty odd.
  • Need 171 to avoid follow-on
  • cfgs said:

Some youngsters may think this West Indies side is terrible but about twenty years ago they were worse. Remember Gough and Caddick ripping through them, Caddick took four wickets in an over in one match. I am sure bowled them out for fifty odd.

Just googled it and it was 2000, that WI side contained some very great players at the end of their careers as well.