Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v West Indies 2017

Comments

• Options
    England batted for a day and a half, an entire session was lost to rain, and it didn't even make Day 4
  • Options
    Leuth said:

England batted for a day and a half, an entire session was lost to rain, and it didn't even make Day 4

A bit like the 70s only the other way round
  • Options
    edited August 2017

Leuth said:

A bit like the 70s only the other way round
    No, they batted longer than that :smiley:
  • Options

Its been bugging me for some time trying to remember who it is that TRJ's bowling action is like, and it just came to me...Martin Bicknell.

Another who was only played for England late in their career.

Bickers was dropped too early by England. Let's home they give Tobias Skelton Roland-Jones a better chance.
  • Options
    Dismal performance by the Windies, but entirely predictable. Not sure how they can justify a 3 Test match series.
  • Options
    I wonder if it's possible that The Windies could lose their test status ?
    They quite clearly haven't been up to the job for at least a decade now .
  • Options
    edited August 2017

I predict the game will be all over inside 3 days. we will get 550+ & the W Indies will be out for under 250 in both their innings.

I don't get much wrong.........
    Apart from this...

England starting to make a pigs ear of this. I'm all for putting their foot down, but just lost 3 wickets for hardly any runs - Stokes, Bairstow & Ali all out without adding more than 30 between them/

;-)

• Options

I wonder if it's possible that The Windies could lose their test status ?
    They quite clearly haven't been up to the job for at least a decade now .

I don't think there has been a precedent but I wonder how they compare to Ireland, Bangladesh, Zimbabwe etc. I see Michael Vaughan is advocating two divisions. That could be tough for borderline teams like NZ and, frankly, England at times over the last 20 odd years.
  • Options

70,000 through gates for first 3 days - day/night test matches here to stay.

Novelty factor big here. The number of people who left 2 or 3 hours before the end on days 1 and 2 says a lot. As someone who goes to test matches I really hope not. however TV audiences will probably dictate whatever ticket sales. next year v India timings probably make it unlikely I would think.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thing is, because of the northern hemisphere longer twilight, day/night games in England will omly work in August/September.
    As you say, with regards to India they will no doubt flex their financial muscle and ensure there isnt any, because a day/night game here will be finishing at 4am in India.
  • Options
    Whats the opinion on the pink ball?
  • Options
    redman said:

Novelty factor big here. The number of people who left 2 or 3 hours before the end on days 1 and 2 says a lot. As someone who goes to test matches I really hope not. however TV audiences will probably dictate whatever ticket sales. next year v India timings probably make it unlikely I would think.
    We actually only had 1 proper late finish, day 2 had an early close, while day 3 had an earlier finish as England wrapped the game up.

A real test would be to see how many remained late if the opposition were grinding along at 150-2
  • Options

Not sure there's a great correlation, the ticket prices being only £20? probably more of a factor!
    Yes, for £20 you've got value in just the first session.
  • Options
    Once the lights kicked in proper I could not see the pink ball on TV after it had pitched until it hit the boundary, which happened a lot in our innings.
  • Options

Whats the opinion on the pink ball?

It's shit
  • Options
    Oakster said:
    Very interesting, a strange (and sad ) tale
  • Options
    Cricket's on
    England batting

Another day of toil for WI I fear.
  • Options
    Why the blazing fuck wasn't Gabriel playing in the first Test? Was he dropped as punishment for losing the Pakistan series?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:

Why the blazing fuck wasn't Gabriel playing in the first Test? Was he dropped as punishment for losing the Pakistan series?

i think he was injured
  • Options
    Gabriel gets Cook out

In terms of Ashes preparation, it's probably not a bad thing that Cook isn't there to hold things together, the new players need testing
  • Options
    Making a fist of it to be fair

Westley gone!
  • Options
    Westley will need some second-innings runs to be sure of an Ashes squad place (or indeed a go in the next Test), probably. Root will be itching for his pal Gaz Baz :worried:
  • Options
    37-2

Gabriel was injured for the first Test. West Indies make two changes from the side that were heavily beaten at Edgbaston.

Leg-spinner Devendra Bishoo and fast bowler Shannon Gabriel comes in for pacemen Alzarri Joseph and Miguel Cummins.
  • Options
    37-3

Stoneman c Dowrich b Roach 19 (inside edge)
  • Options
    Root dropped at 1st slip !!!! Easiest chance you can get. A let off there for England.
  • Options
    Root is dropped, could be VERY costly!
  • Options
    Root dropped at 1st slip off Gabriel. It was an absolute dolly.
  • Options
    I'd have caught that! Bloody hell