Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v West Indies 2017

Comments

• Options
    Re the ashes, boycott used to say about twenty years ago that you should pick three openers for a test down there as usually lose an early wicket.
  • Options

redman said:

Playing 5 seamers makes no sense. What can a captain do with them? Obviously if Stokes can't bowl then that is different. Hopefully he can be given a good rest before the Ashes series.

As for the batting we do have options. Both Hales and Ballance are getting runs and this is now their favoured position. As 2 and 3 it hasn't worked for them but they have both got a hatful of runs and deserves to be given a chance in their now favoured position if Malan continues to fail.

I think Bairstow has good technique and could do a good job at 3 (or even 2). This may mean taking the gloves off him but we have some good options here.

It makes sense if they are getting wickets. We are not getting enough runs so need to get wickets. Stokes 6, Ali 7 and Woakes 8 is decent anyway, with TRJ chipping in from 9. Possibly could go with 2 spinners as Rashid is a good Number 9. Hales and Ballance are decent players, but neither have done all that at test level. Would go with Hales over Ballance, he's been tried now and doesn't do it, whether that's 3, 4 or 5, he hasn't scored runs.
    I'm not his biggest fan but I'd pick Bell over either Ballance or Hales. Would the selectors eat that much humble pie though?
    Bell is in terrible form though. Gave up Warwickshire captaincy to Trott to find some form though so might end the season well.
    Doubt it. His form has been symbolic for over 2 years now. I doubt he has it still in him. Anyone who's seen him or followed county cricket knows he's not got it any more.
    We either punt on a player who is bang out of form but who single handedly won a series a few years ago or go with players who have such glaring issues with their technique that they'll get ripped to pieces down under. We're pretty much at the stage where our only other options are still playing for their school XI.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Re the ashes, boycott used to say about twenty years ago that you should pick three openers for a test down there as usually lose an early wicket.

Think that's why a lot of people would play Hameed at 3.
  • Options

MrOneLung said:

It's a shame he's only got a few weeks to find a bit of form.
  • Options

MrOneLung said:

It's a shame he's only got a few weeks to find a bit of form.
    yeah not actually my opinion, just seen a fair few who would play him there. But as you said, lack of form is worrying. But picking the form players isn't working that well so not sure what the answer is to be honest.
  • Options
    Back to the Test match.........

The morning session is going to be key. If we can get to lunch losing no more than 2 wickets & are around 80 ahead then we still have half a chance of winning. We need to get at least 350 & probably over 400 to have a chance - anything less and the Windies will only need to get 180-200 to win, which I'm sure they'll do.
  • Options
    I have visions of the Windies being set 150 to 200 to win, and collapsing under the pressure of what would be a massive win for them, for less than 100
  • Options
    I think a target of 200+ will be enough. Thin if we get to 350 ish we could be ok. Might be reliant on Root to get a ton though, reckon Malan will go early.
  • Options

I think a target of 200+ will be enough. Thin if we get to 350 ish we could be ok. Might be reliant on Root to get a ton though, reckon Malan will go early.

Stokes will get another ton, and celebrate by shouting "get f*cking in there" thus getting banned from the Lord's test
  • Options

Stokes will get another ton, and celebrate by shouting "get f*cking in there" thus getting banned from the Lord's test
    certainly wouldn't be against that! Don't want him banned for an Ashes test.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

certainly wouldn't be against that! Don't want him banned for an Ashes test.
    If he gets a demerit point in the Lord's test, the ban will apply for the T20s which would be fine also!
  • Options
    Goes to show it's all about playing the conditions
  • Options
    Massive innings this for Malan.
  • Options

Massive innings this for Malan.

SSSHhhhhhhh !
  • Options
    Poor shot from Root.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    230-4 England lead by 61 runs.

It's looking like this game may go to a 5th day !
  • Options
    Stokes 50
  • Options
    300-4
    Stokes 56 no
    Malan 60 no
  • Options
    Really gritty fight back by England. How many extra runs would we have if all of Gabriel's no balls were called?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Stokes gone 303-5
  • Options
    Milan bowled for 61, 312-6
  • Options
    need a 50 partnership between Bairstow and Ali and then I would say we are favourites.
  • Options
    All the bounce in the pitch seems to have disappeared in the last 15 minutes, apart from the odd ball which takes off.

It could be really interesting tomorrow. I do enjoy Headingley Tests.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Bairstow out 18, reverse sweep, played onto his wicket, 327-7
  • Options
    Unless they bay appallingly we are quite short of where we need to be. Ali, Woakes and Broad need to add quite a few more.
  • Options
    I think the WI could struggle to get 200 and quite honestly anything over 150 may be difficult for a rudderless team with little fight or pride.

Cue captain Jason Holder just strolling off the pitch. He is clueless and a terrible leader.
  • Options
    England 8/13 WI 11/4.
  • Options
    355-7. Ali 21 off of 26 balls going well, a lead of 186
  • Options
    I've just stuck £20 on England to win.