Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton vs Northampton Post match views

Comments

• redman said:

Dijksteel is being giving the thumbs up on one performance. However he has not been playing at right back for the youth teams. He might be able to fill in for the odd game or two but I would be worried about him being found out if Solly was out for any serious length of time.
    I think KAG can play a good role for us this season coming on as sub against tiring defences, much as he did yesterday. However I think if he was forced to play 20 games on the trot due to an injury to Holmes or Fosu we would not get the best out of him and it would damage him longer term.
    Konsa is definitely a diamond but I suspect Robbo is not quite sure what to do with him (bit like Parky and Jonjo). Whether he could fill in for either Solly or Kashi if they got long term injuries I am not sure.

If KAG gets damaged by 20 games in Div 1, then he probably isn't going to cut it at pro level. I'd say KAG actually needs 20 games at this stage of his career. He's 20 in a few weeks time and has been involved in a fair amount of 1st XI football....it shouldn't faze him and I have a feeling it won't, as long as he isn't relied upon to get regular goals.
  • The only concern regarding Konsa is keeping him.
    If he is to leave the money will go into paying for the losses created by this regime the Training Ground, due to be completed in 2035.
  • I would like us to put something to bed. Despite not having much to spend - Robinson has bought well. We started last season with an inadequate midfield and now it is strong -We are a much better side. It will be a shame if they can't just back him a bit, but whilst I want the owner out as much as ever, I definitely want Robinson to stay. He made mistakes last season, but it is how you address the issues and like Powell before him - he knew what to do.

I am still a little concerned about goals in the side - when you look at the three goalscorers, they are the three players we know have goals in them. It is time for one or two more to chip in and then we are on course.

Made mistakes.
    Whatever manager comes in they should be given a season even if I don't like a manager.
    Why is it fans want instant success
  • edited August 2017

Missed It said:

Missed It said:

If "cover" is provided by a kid, is the test is, is that kid ready next week to step in and play 20 games if the incumbent is injured.

So for me the question is whether you can confidently say "yes" to Dijksteel. Maybe, I am not qualified to have an opinion.

They thought KAG was cover season before last. I am not sure he has recovered from that. That is the danger.

We all know, of course, that RD is obsessed with kids ( including at the dancing) but he understands football no better than any of us, and his obsession may be more business driven than a belief that it will bring results on the pitch.

If "cover" is provided by a kid, is the test is, is that kid ready next week to step in and play 20 games if the incumbent is injured.

So for me the question is whether you can confidently say "yes" to Dijksteel. Maybe, I am not qualified to have an opinion.

They thought KAG was cover season before last. I am not sure he has recovered from that. That is the danger.

We all know, of course, that RD is obsessed with kids ( including at the dancing) but he understands football no better than any of us, and his obsession may be more business driven than a belief that it will bring results on the pitch.

Blooding youngsters is a fine art and one which our current manager is well respected for. Hard to say exactly when it's right for a kid to be thrown in but it's definitely not right that the whole purpose of the club is to showcase kids just to sell on at the earliest oportunity.

That's what we have with Roland and that's what's wrong with our club. Until the purpose is to build, strengthen and progress as a club we will always be left wanting.

So we don't play youngsters in case they are any good and we have to sell them? We are a selling Club, just like all the other Clubs. Develop, play and enjoy them while we can.

Charlton aren't a selling club because they have to sell. The owner is a multi-millionaire. Charlton are selling club because they want to sell. It's about Roland making money, not building a competitive Charlton team.

Did you enjoy all of Joe Gomez's 21 games? Probably not as much as you enjoyed Scott Parker's 128 games I'd guess.
    Wasn't we a premiership club with Parker therefore we wouldn't have to sell with the TV money and gate receipts coming in. Gomez conducted himself in a far more professional manner as did Lookman when he left the club rather than Parker who threw his toys at the pram and stitched the club up.
    Point is, Parker contributed to the club's success. Gomez's appearances were nothing more than an ad campaign for the club to cash him in (too cheaply!)
    Parker contributed the clubs success? The same Parker that wanted out when we were forth in the premiership and could have got into Europe if he had stayed meaning that we could attracted a better player and pushed us on further.
    Liverpool activated a clause in the contract of Joe Gomez and both parties conducted themselves in a,professional unlike some clubs when trying to get a player and unsettle him, and to be fair who can blame Joe and now is on there starting 11.
    Lookman was a great deal, however he now appears to have dropped down the pecking order and may move on loan so all in all good business.

Yes, but why did Parker behave so badly? The club didn't want to sell him.

Difference is, now the club can't sell our youth players quick enough. It is their express intention - regardless of the requirements of the first team.
  • Missed It said:

Missed It said:

Missed It said:

Blooding youngsters is a fine art and one which our current manager is well respected for. Hard to say exactly when it's right for a kid to be thrown in but it's definitely not right that the whole purpose of the club is to showcase kids just to sell on at the earliest oportunity.

That's what we have with Roland and that's what's wrong with our club. Until the purpose is to build, strengthen and progress as a club we will always be left wanting.

So we don't play youngsters in case they are any good and we have to sell them? We are a selling Club, just like all the other Clubs. Develop, play and enjoy them while we can.

Charlton aren't a selling club because they have to sell. The owner is a multi-millionaire. Charlton are selling club because they want to sell. It's about Roland making money, not building a competitive Charlton team.

Did you enjoy all of Joe Gomez's 21 games? Probably not as much as you enjoyed Scott Parker's 128 games I'd guess.
    Wasn't we a premiership club with Parker therefore we wouldn't have to sell with the TV money and gate receipts coming in. Gomez conducted himself in a far more professional manner as did Lookman when he left the club rather than Parker who threw his toys at the pram and stitched the club up.
    Point is, Parker contributed to the club's success. Gomez's appearances were nothing more than an ad campaign for the club to cash him in (too cheaply!)
    Parker contributed the clubs success? The same Parker that wanted out when we were forth in the premiership and could have got into Europe if he had stayed meaning that we could attracted a better player and pushed us on further.
    Liverpool activated a clause in the contract of Joe Gomez and both parties conducted themselves in a,professional unlike some clubs when trying to get a player and unsettle him, and to be fair who can blame Joe and now is on there starting 11.
    Lookman was a great deal, however he now appears to have dropped down the pecking order and may move on loan so all in all good business.

Difference is, now the club can't sell our youth players quick enough. It is their express intention - regardless of the requirements of the first team.
    Parker was tapped up by Chelsea after we beat them 4-2 on the boxing day at the Valley. Chelsea were to blame as they dragged on with the transfer offering silly money and the intent to unsettle the player, leaving it till the last minute meant that the club were unable to reinvest the money within the January window.
    The club has made no secret that they intend to give the academy players a chance and is something i would rather see than some journeyman. It is also refreshing to see players come threw the system and representing them at high profile clubs as well as in international tournaments.
    I don't think the club will sell the youngsters as cheaply anymore, i remember when we were mugged for Paul Elliot and Paul Walsh from Luton Town. If the player, parents and agent are worth there sort they will know that it is best to sit tight for a few years, establish yourself as a key player and then get the move rather than do a Jenkinson.
  • Sponsored links:

• Good team performance. It was one of those days where the videprinter should have been spelling out our score.

We got away with it yesterday but some days we'll be punished for our wastefulness.

As we were last week at Argyle.
  • There are a number of academy players who OUGHT to be more involved in the first team now. The likes of KAG and RCC got thrown in far too young, but are now around 20, along with Djiksteel, Hanlan and Barnes (and Konsa). They aren't 17 year olds

I'd be very happy for a young full back to be thrown into action, as long as there are experienced heads like Pearce to guide him.
  • We have to establish an away process that works consistently.
    It is early days but only being any good at home will end up costing us.

• I am still a little concerned about goals in the side - when you look at the three goalscorers, they are the three players we know have goals in them. It is time for one or two more to chip in and then we are on course.

4 competitive games into the season and 6 players have scored so far
    I was counting the League Cup as a reserve match. Being serious, I think other players are going to have to chip in with goals. If we score over 70 goals, I think it is likely we will be in the mix - over 80 automatic mix - dependent on defence not being too leaky. I think our defence is above average for the level so here is how I think we might get to say 86 goals with a good wind:

Magennis 18
    Holmes 14
    JFC 12
    Fosu 8
    Clarke 6
    Reeves 6
    Bauer 6
    Pearce 4
    KAG 6
    Novak (or replacement) 6
    Sarr
    Solly 1
    DaSilva 1

This would be on the verges of automatic form, but we will need the above players to chip in, and those that go under need to be compensated by another player going over.

• Missed It said:

Missed It said:

Missed It said:

Parker was tapped up by Chelsea after we beat them 4-2 on the boxing day at the Valley. Chelsea were to blame as they dragged on with the transfer offering silly money and the intent to unsettle the player, leaving it till the last minute meant that the club were unable to reinvest the money within the January window.
    The club has made no secret that they intend to give the academy players a chance and is something i would rather see than some journeyman. It is also refreshing to see players come threw the system and representing them at high profile clubs as well as in international tournaments.
    I don't think the club will sell the youngsters as cheaply anymore, i remember when we were mugged for Paul Elliot and Paul Walsh from Luton Town. If the player, parents and agent are worth there sort they will know that it is best to sit tight for a few years, establish yourself as a key player and then get the move rather than do a Jenkinson.

I'm not sure the post match views thread is the right place for this discussion so I'll finish by saying that the club has changed from being one that develops its own players with the purpose of building a competitive first team to a club that develops players as products to be sold for a profit. That is a fundamental difference and one I don't believe is in the best interest of Charlton Athletic - it's in the best interest of Roland and Staprix profits.

Yes, I know Charlton have always ended up selling their players, I know how these things work. The original post I responded to suggested Charlton always sell their players and we should just accept it and enjoy watching "the premier league stars of de future" while we can. If you honestly, truly believe that that's OK then there's not much more I can say. I saw Joe Gomez play maybe 10 games for Charlton and Lookman not many more than that. Not much enjoyment to be had there.
  • Missed It said:

Missed It said:

First team position in the game against Hajduk Split? Could be playing tonight too?

If that's dropping down the pecking order, I'm sure he'll want to drop a bit more.

• I am still a little concerned about goals in the side - when you look at the three goalscorers, they are the three players we know have goals in them. It is time for one or two more to chip in and then we are on course.

4 competitive games into the season and 6 players have scored so far
    I was counting the League Cup as a reserve match. Being serious, I think other players are going to have to chip in with goals. If we score over 70 goals, I think it is likely we will be in the mix - over 80 automatic mix - dependent on defence not being too leaky. I think our defence is above average for the level so here is how I think we might get to say 86 goals with a good wind:

Magennis 18
    Holmes 14
    JFC 12
    Fosu 8
    Clarke 6
    Reeves 6
    Bauer 6
    Pearce 4
    KAG 6
    Novak (or replacement) 6
    Sarr
    Solly 1
    DaSilva 1

This would be on the verges of automatic form, but we will need the above players to chip in, and those that go under need to be compensated by another player going over.

But we'll concede 87

• edited August 2017
    I didn't include Kashi because of the way he plays - I mean like he is going to score from the half way line! But if he gets one, that is one less for somebody else to get.

Sheff Utd got 92 goals last season - Bolton only 63 but Scunthorpe in third got 80. Southend and Rochdale were the highest scorers missing out on a top six place with 71 and 70. We scored 60. I think we will be there or there abouts if we manage 70 plus. Much too early, but we are currently on course to score 76.6666666
  • KAG 6 , JFC 12 and Pearce 4 is I think fanciful
  • edited August 2017
    I was putting the figures as targets - meeting them is another matter. Like I said, I think we would need a good wind.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2017

I was putting the figures as targets - meeting them is another matter. Like I said, I think we would need a good wind-up.

Corrected it for you

& you forgot to add Amos to the list of charlton players that should score a goal
  • Dazzler21 said:

Missed It said:

Missed It said:

First team position in the game against Hajduk Split? Could be playing tonight too?

If that's dropping down the pecking order, I'm sure he'll want to drop a bit more.
    When did he last start a match in the premiership ??? rumours still circulate about Derby County. I take it you don't agree that 11 million was good business as well ???
  • Oggy Red said:

Unfortunately, this fantastic performance was preceded by an inept display at Plymouth. so what will the next one be !

But it wasn't an inept display at Plymouth - just a stack of clear chances missed against a team that resolutely defended in depth, before we conceded at a set piece and got caught on the break right at the end.

Another day, we'll play much worse and win.

Indeed. Really ought to be three from three.

Not that I'm complaining - two from three is a promising enough start.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Missed It said:

Missed It said:

When did he last start a match in the premiership ??? rumours still circulate about Derby County. I take it you don't agree that 11 million was good business as well ???

What is your source for that figure, and what needs to happen before the final figure (whether 11 or less) is actually paid? I don't know, just wondering if you have inside info, as opposed to some vaguely sourced media comment. Or a recycled tweet.Which is where these figures usually come from.

As to whether it is good business, there are two things to consider:

1. What has the overall market done in 2017? Answer, gone beserk, with £50m being routine

2. What has been done with the funds received? Has it been reinvested in the playing squad, (as the Carl Jenkinson money was, to brilliant effect) or has it gone the way the Standard Liege big money transfers appear to have gone?

Which comes back to the key point..we need to strengthen, especially up front. Do that, and the investment is likely to pay off.

• just because we beat a side ( which i dont think are a top table side) 4-1 please please don't be under the illusion the squad is fine as it isn't, we will not get through the season without injuries or suspensions.

i think playoffs we are about 90% to get, automatic can be achieved but with 43 games still to play who knows.

our next 5 league games are

Rotherham United A

Oldham Athletic A

Southend United H

Wigan Athletic H

Gillingham A

Get 9/12 points out of that lot and we are well on our way i think.

of course Sheffield united after 4 matches had 1 point so could mean nothing, but certainly we seem to be better than last year, i just wish Roland would back Karl but then again i don't think he will ever change, and i dont understand throws money around on gimmicks ( season ticket packaging, family fun days ) 3 million and you could probably clear a space in the trophy cabinet for the league 1 title.

i don't know if its just me but after a win why do we have to milk the absolute shit out of it, its a win its 3 points on the board but its league 1 and i dont know how much i can take of the magical valley and were doing it for them etc between now and the end of the season

( this doesn't mean i enjoy us losing, just seems overkill )
  • last 4 seasons 94 is the highest required for autos,

72 should guarantee you playoffs.

if were somewhere in between them then its progress.
  • rananegra said:

i don't know if its just me but after a win why do we have to milk the absolute shit out of it, its a win its 3 points on the board but its league 1 and i dont know how much i can take of the magical valley and were doing it for them etc between now and the end of the season

( this doesn't mean i enjoy us losing, just seems overkill )

I see where you're coming from, but what was different about Saturday was that it was an enjoyable win, not without it's proper Charlton moments of not finishing a team off in the 90 and allowing them to think they were back in it, but...

That was the best football I've seen at The Valley in ages. OK Northampton aren't that great. But we were rubbish against teams without a win in ages last season. We got turned over by a string of drab teams from small northern towns. Saturday we won. And we won well, playing with intent and there was a sense that Charlton might have remembered that football is meant to be entertaining. I know we won't play that well every week, but that was a good team playing attacking football and playing like a team. It doesn't mean I think Robinson is the messiah, but he deserves credit for not only winning but setting us up to be entertaining.

of course i cant comment on that match itself because i wasnt there only have seen the goals from the videos, i'm glad when we win and for the freinds and fans that are there seeing it, i just fear that a couple of wins and the good times are back - which there not.
  • edited August 2017

Ricky needs a song (it's prolly been said before but never sung) and I've got it to the tune of oh Mickey you're so fine

Oh Ricky , you're so fine
    You're so fine you blow my mind, hey Ricky,
    Hey Ricky
    Repeat repeat ....then clap ourselves at the end if we manage to sing a song

That's one for the teenagers
  • the only sad thing with a win like saturdays is the seemingly constant divide and opinion that if you oppose roland your anti charlton which is complete bollocks, so many comments of if you care about the club you should be at the valley etc, admitedly these are the clowns that as soon as we lose ( potentially tomorrow night ) will be cheers karl we didnt want a cup run anyway. tossers and its a shame we have something in common.