Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton vs Northampton Post match views

Comments

• edited August 2017

rananegra said:

i don't know if its just me but after a win why do we have to milk the absolute shit out of it, its a win its 3 points on the board but its league 1 and i dont know how much i can take of the magical valley and were doing it for them etc between now and the end of the season

( this doesn't mean i enjoy us losing, just seems overkill )

I see where you're coming from, but what was different about Saturday was that it was an enjoyable win, not without it's proper Charlton moments of not finishing a team off in the 90 and allowing them to think they were back in it, but...

That was the best football I've seen at The Valley in ages. OK Northampton aren't that great. But we were rubbish against teams without a win in ages last season. We got turned over by a string of drab teams from small northern towns. Saturday we won. And we won well, playing with intent and there was a sense that Charlton might have remembered that football is meant to be entertaining. I know we won't play that well every week, but that was a good team playing attacking football and playing like a team. It doesn't mean I think Robinson is the messiah, but he deserves credit for not only winning but setting us up to be entertaining.

of course i cant comment on that match itself because i wasnt there only have seen the goals from the videos, i'm glad when we win and for the freinds and fans that are there seeing it, i just fear that a couple of wins and the good times are back - which there not.
    If the style of play is the same as that of the first three games then The Valley is going to be a much nicer place to visit than it has been for some years.

We will lose some that's for sure but I don't care if the football can excite the fans. It will be fun to attend again.

• rananegra said:

i don't know if its just me but after a win why do we have to milk the absolute shit out of it, its a win its 3 points on the board but its league 1 and i dont know how much i can take of the magical valley and were doing it for them etc between now and the end of the season

( this doesn't mean i enjoy us losing, just seems overkill )

I see where you're coming from, but what was different about Saturday was that it was an enjoyable win, not without it's proper Charlton moments of not finishing a team off in the 90 and allowing them to think they were back in it, but...

That was the best football I've seen at The Valley in ages. OK Northampton aren't that great. But we were rubbish against teams without a win in ages last season. We got turned over by a string of drab teams from small northern towns. Saturday we won. And we won well, playing with intent and there was a sense that Charlton might have remembered that football is meant to be entertaining. I know we won't play that well every week, but that was a good team playing attacking football and playing like a team. It doesn't mean I think Robinson is the messiah, but he deserves credit for not only winning but setting us up to be entertaining.

of course i cant comment on that match itself because i wasnt there only have seen the goals from the videos, i'm glad when we win and for the freinds and fans that are there seeing it, i just fear that a couple of wins and the good times are back - which there not.
    If the style of play is the same as that of the first three games then The Valley is going to be a much nicer place to visit than it has been for some years.

We will lose some that's for sure but I don't care if the football can excite the fans. It will be fun to attend again.

That is what RD is aiming for, you see, he does know what he is doing :wink:
  • Dazzler21 said:

Missed It said:

Missed It said:

If "cover" is provided by a kid, is the test is, is that kid ready next week to step in and play 20 games if the incumbent is injured.

So for me the question is whether you can confidently say "yes" to Dijksteel. Maybe, I am not qualified to have an opinion.

They thought KAG was cover season before last. I am not sure he has recovered from that. That is the danger.

We all know, of course, that RD is obsessed with kids ( including at the dancing) but he understands football no better than any of us, and his obsession may be more business driven than a belief that it will bring results on the pitch.

If "cover" is provided by a kid, is the test is, is that kid ready next week to step in and play 20 games if the incumbent is injured.

So for me the question is whether you can confidently say "yes" to Dijksteel. Maybe, I am not qualified to have an opinion.

They thought KAG was cover season before last. I am not sure he has recovered from that. That is the danger.

We all know, of course, that RD is obsessed with kids ( including at the dancing) but he understands football no better than any of us, and his obsession may be more business driven than a belief that it will bring results on the pitch.

Blooding youngsters is a fine art and one which our current manager is well respected for. Hard to say exactly when it's right for a kid to be thrown in but it's definitely not right that the whole purpose of the club is to showcase kids just to sell on at the earliest oportunity.

That's what we have with Roland and that's what's wrong with our club. Until the purpose is to build, strengthen and progress as a club we will always be left wanting.

So we don't play youngsters in case they are any good and we have to sell them? We are a selling Club, just like all the other Clubs. Develop, play and enjoy them while we can.

Charlton aren't a selling club because they have to sell. The owner is a multi-millionaire. Charlton are selling club because they want to sell. It's about Roland making money, not building a competitive Charlton team.

Did you enjoy all of Joe Gomez's 21 games? Probably not as much as you enjoyed Scott Parker's 128 games I'd guess.
    Wasn't we a premiership club with Parker therefore we wouldn't have to sell with the TV money and gate receipts coming in. Gomez conducted himself in a far more professional manner as did Lookman when he left the club rather than Parker who threw his toys at the pram and stitched the club up.
    Point is, Parker contributed to the club's success. Gomez's appearances were nothing more than an ad campaign for the club to cash him in (too cheaply!)
    Parker contributed the clubs success? The same Parker that wanted out when we were forth in the premiership and could have got into Europe if he had stayed meaning that we could attracted a better player and pushed us on further.
    Liverpool activated a clause in the contract of Joe Gomez and both parties conducted themselves in a,professional unlike some clubs when trying to get a player and unsettle him, and to be fair who can blame Joe and now is on there starting 11.
    Lookman was a great deal, however he now appears to have dropped down the pecking order and may move on loan so all in all good business.

First team position in the game against Hajduk Split? Could be playing tonight too?

If that's dropping down the pecking order, I'm sure he'll want to drop a bit more.
    When did he last start a match in the premiership ??? rumours still circulate about Derby County. I take it you don't agree that 11 million was good business as well ???
    Good business? Depends on who you mean for? Because we lost a great little player and didn't see it reinvested.

Of course it was good for the ownership. It will heat RD's swimming pool for a few years and KM gets a few lunches out of it.
  • KAG 6 , JFC 12 and Pearce 4 is I think fanciful

Magennis 18 is fanciful
  • Dazzler21 said:

Missed It said:

Missed It said:

Blooding youngsters is a fine art and one which our current manager is well respected for. Hard to say exactly when it's right for a kid to be thrown in but it's definitely not right that the whole purpose of the club is to showcase kids just to sell on at the earliest oportunity.

That's what we have with Roland and that's what's wrong with our club. Until the purpose is to build, strengthen and progress as a club we will always be left wanting.

So we don't play youngsters in case they are any good and we have to sell them? We are a selling Club, just like all the other Clubs. Develop, play and enjoy them while we can.

Charlton aren't a selling club because they have to sell. The owner is a multi-millionaire. Charlton are selling club because they want to sell. It's about Roland making money, not building a competitive Charlton team.

Did you enjoy all of Joe Gomez's 21 games? Probably not as much as you enjoyed Scott Parker's 128 games I'd guess.
    Wasn't we a premiership club with Parker therefore we wouldn't have to sell with the TV money and gate receipts coming in. Gomez conducted himself in a far more professional manner as did Lookman when he left the club rather than Parker who threw his toys at the pram and stitched the club up.
    Point is, Parker contributed to the club's success. Gomez's appearances were nothing more than an ad campaign for the club to cash him in (too cheaply!)
    Parker contributed the clubs success? The same Parker that wanted out when we were forth in the premiership and could have got into Europe if he had stayed meaning that we could attracted a better player and pushed us on further.
    Liverpool activated a clause in the contract of Joe Gomez and both parties conducted themselves in a,professional unlike some clubs when trying to get a player and unsettle him, and to be fair who can blame Joe and now is on there starting 11.
    Lookman was a great deal, however he now appears to have dropped down the pecking order and may move on loan so all in all good business.

First team position in the game against Hajduk Split? Could be playing tonight too?

If that's dropping down the pecking order, I'm sure he'll want to drop a bit more.
    When did he last start a match in the premiership ??? rumours still circulate about Derby County. I take it you don't agree that 11 million was good business as well ???
    Good business? Depends on who you mean for? Because we lost a great little player and didn't see it reinvested.

Of course it was good for the ownership. It will heat RD's swimming pool for a few years and KM gets a few lunches out of it.
    It paid for the losses made in the previous year. Of course much of that was due to terrible transfer decisions, paying massive wages to flops or paying off failures, but there's no way that owning Charlton will have given RD any profit
  • Dazzler21 said:

Missed It said:

Missed It said:

It paid for the losses made in the previous year. Of course much of that was due to terrible transfer decisions, paying massive wages to flops or paying off failures, but there's no way that owning Charlton will have given RD any profit
    Of course it was a joke. Yes the losses have not been helped by terrible running of the club.

All of the above contribute to the declining attendances and general revenue which increase the club's losses. I don't think we can ask RD to put the Lookman money into the club, but a portion of it would help us have a shot of promotion.

Let's not forget that Lookman wasn't the only sale either, JBG, Cousins, Pope and Fox all went too.
  • No-one's mentioned Solly - was he better this week?

A poor cross but otherwise fine imo
    JamesSeed said:

Family stand. (Not as good a view of the match as I normally get from my position in the directors' box.) Me and a couple of friends. No kids. Friend's kid was 'jetlagged'. Tommy 'felt unwell' at the last minute. Boo.

Arsenal season ticket holder friend there for his 3rd match at the Valley reckons we're waaaay better than last season and really enjoyed the match. The other, a Fulham fan, said he thought the football was very similar to what he watches in the Championship. Hmmm. Maybe?

Really pleased that Amos had such a good game. So much better than his previous efforts.

Didn't realise how little money KR has spent to improve the side. Kudos to him for that. Haven't we won 7 of our last 9 league matches? You'd think he'd be rewarded with some cash for a striker. But probably won't be. Josh and Novak won't really do it for us over a whole season if we want promotion imho.

We were so lively today and created regular openings, and yes we could quite easily have had more than four.
    Grimes looked quality in his first appearance for the Cobblers.
    KAG looked extremely good when he came on and boy, is he quick.
    Konsa looked great too.

Downsides:
    We broke away on at least four of five occasions, but made nothing of them. Need to be more clinical in those situations.
    We let them create too many chances, so it wasn't really a shock when they scored. But their forwards were poor.
    Spent twenty minutes in the press room looking for two VHS tapes of Ha'way the Lads, a drama doc about the early life of Jimmy Seed.
    Thanks to George for finding them upstairs. I don't think Olly is speaking to me though.
    Made in 1976 by Thames TV it went out nationally on a Saturday night on ITV, ten years after his death. Thanks to @Henry Irving it's being shown at the Bromley film festival in September. Come along, it's quite good! More details to follow.
    And then, heading home on a crowded tube a French girl offered me her seat. Never happened before.

You can go to Bromley but we're showing it at the White Swan in Charlton as part of the Charlton and Woolwich free film festival.

11 September and it's free, obviously
    The wife's birthday. I'll ask her if she wants to go :smile:
  • edited August 2017
    That's not the sort of result that'll please Herr Dutchelet back in the bunker...

• Sponsored links:

• Lovely finishes there. Said it in the summer, expecting a big season from JFC.
  • SDAddick said:

Sorry to do that thing where I quote myself, but wanted to give a shout out for Konsa. He was only on for 7 minutes plus another 5 or 6 of stoppage time, but he was excellent. Showed a great turn of pace and drive from midfield. He's clearly bulked up. He's very unlucky to be behind two excellent center backs and two excellent central midfielders at the moment. Would get into just about any other team in the division.

From my player marks:
    Konsa: Fuck n/a. 8.5. Came on and changed the game. Was seemingly playing in the #10 role as a sort of reverse pivot to put pressure on their defense and midfield. Alternatively, Robinson said to him "Ez, go out there and run around a bit." Was excellent on the ball. Set up the third. Probably should have won a penalty (didn't look nearly as stonewall to me as it did to others but I didn't have a replay). A wonderful performance.

So you're saying Konsa's sub performance was better than Watt's v Rovers ? :wink:
  • Good vlog of the game here https://youtu.be/3vF6cO54Avo

He was right near me filming that.
  • Robinson does deserve credit but this time last year we beat Shewsbury 3 - 0 at the Valley and similar things were being said.

Premature evaluation then and now.

Yes, but last season v Shrewsbury, Holmes did it all by himself.

I backed us quite heavily (for me) for us to finish top half after Bristol R and I can't see how we could possibly not.

I reckon we should make the play offs and if we get in a decent striker or two, we could make the top 2.

• Solly gave away or should I say continues to give away a lot of fouls. It's disappointing as it leaves us in a position where we are weakened... I did have a laugh watching some of our clearance attempts... Against a stronger side it wouldn't have been so enjoyable.
  • Amos: still looked shaky on high balls and no reliable communication with CB's
    Solly: hardly troubled
    DaSilva: this kid's gonna be very good, if we keep hold past January we'll be lucky
    Bauer: troubled only once and then cobblers scored
    Pearce: troubled only once and then cobblers scored
    Kashi: too many passes without looking, caught in possession couple of times, lucky to get away with it, bit complacent perhaps
    Forster-Caskey: until his goals I'd barely noticed he was there
    Holmes: busy as ever, good strike for goal
    Clarke: often involved but to little positive effect until near the end
    Fosu: needs to get his head up, willing, able but his inexperience is evident, he'll come good soon with a little guidance
    Magennis: effective as ever first half, looked dead on his feet 2nd half but the FSG left him on of course
    KAG: was the last thing Cobblers needed by that stage and he made good use of the space afforded him
    FSG: his one-eyed, one dimensional method was too much for a piss poor cobblers team, who managed their only goal of the season so far nonetheless, gobby's substitutions made slightly more sense than last time but only just, his continual risking of the knackered Magennis is fucktarded and asking for more injury problems JM could barely move after 60 minutes but the flabby gobshitter leaves him on and shores up the completely untroubled midfield with Konsa instead FFS - up against halfway competent sides with adequate managers gobby's half-baked ill-thought drivel is going to be savagely exposed, here's hoping 8 or 10 other teams are as hopeless as both BrizzleRovers and these Cobblers.
  • I gather StigThundercock you are not KR's favourite fan :wink:
  • I think Stig is being unnecessarily harsh on KR but I think he has a point about Magennis. We are light up front so we perhaps didn't need to keep him on when he started tiring. Having said that, the win wasn't a given until the 3rd.
  • Regular as clockwork, my favourite post of the week - the 400-word Thundercock spew in which the word 'gobshitter' is used often and with increasing irony
  • Sponsored links:

• StigThundercock did you actually watch any of the game? Slating Clarke!? He provided an assist to Holmes on the hour mark and was pretty much involved in everything positive we were doing on the pitch. Not forgetting breaking up play etc. Clarkey put in a man of the match performance.
  • Leuth said:

Regular as clockwork, my favourite post of the week - the 400-word Thundercock spew in which the word 'gobshitter' is used often and with increasing irony

pot, kettle, black comes to mind with Stig and his constant gabbling of pure horseshit at KR's erm, gabbling of pure horseshit.
  • I know who gabbles more horseshit
  • My main worry for this season is that we have a brilliant footballing team, probably the most attractive in the division, but one lacking height and strength.

When we come up against physical teams, where everyone is over 6 foot, will our aerial weakness cost us?
  • My main worry for this season is that we have a brilliant footballing team, probably the most attractive in the division, but one lacking height and strength.

When we come up against physical teams, where everyone is over 6 foot, will our aerial weakness cost us?

Just play them off the park and take our chances tbh

Did you not see the height of some of the Northampton players. Their no.22 looked about 7 foot tall
  • No-one's mentioned Solly - was he better this week?

A poor cross but otherwise fine imo
    JamesSeed said:

Family stand. (Not as good a view of the match as I normally get from my position in the directors' box.) Me and a couple of friends. No kids. Friend's kid was 'jetlagged'. Tommy 'felt unwell' at the last minute. Boo.

Arsenal season ticket holder friend there for his 3rd match at the Valley reckons we're waaaay better than last season and really enjoyed the match. The other, a Fulham fan, said he thought the football was very similar to what he watches in the Championship. Hmmm. Maybe?

Really pleased that Amos had such a good game. So much better than his previous efforts.

Didn't realise how little money KR has spent to improve the side. Kudos to him for that. Haven't we won 7 of our last 9 league matches? You'd think he'd be rewarded with some cash for a striker. But probably won't be. Josh and Novak won't really do it for us over a whole season if we want promotion imho.

We were so lively today and created regular openings, and yes we could quite easily have had more than four.
    Grimes looked quality in his first appearance for the Cobblers.
    KAG looked extremely good when he came on and boy, is he quick.
    Konsa looked great too.

Downsides:
    We broke away on at least four of five occasions, but made nothing of them. Need to be more clinical in those situations.
    We let them create too many chances, so it wasn't really a shock when they scored. But their forwards were poor.
    Spent twenty minutes in the press room looking for two VHS tapes of Ha'way the Lads, a drama doc about the early life of Jimmy Seed.
    Thanks to George for finding them upstairs. I don't think Olly is speaking to me though.
    Made in 1976 by Thames TV it went out nationally on a Saturday night on ITV, ten years after his death. Thanks to @Henry Irving it's being shown at the Bromley film festival in September. Come along, it's quite good! More details to follow.
    And then, heading home on a crowded tube a French girl offered me her seat. Never happened before.

You can go to Bromley but we're showing it at the White Swan in Charlton as part of the Charlton and Woolwich free film festival.

11 September and it's free, obviously
    The wife's birthday. I'll ask her if she wants to go :smile:
    You'll be lucky!
  • I think Stig is being unnecessarily harsh on KR but I think he has a point about Magennis. We are light up front so we perhaps didn't need to keep him on when he started tiring. Having said that, the win wasn't a given until the 3rd.

Magennis was kept on mainly because of his aerial ability, defensively that is. The Cobblers were MASSIVE.

We just have?
  • JamesSeed said:

My main worry for this season is that we have a brilliant footballing team, probably the most attractive in the division, but one lacking height and strength.

We just have?
    Well they pulled one back through out-jumping Solly at the back post, which was also how Plymouth scored the crucial opening goal against us. That's not having a go at Solly, but our only height is from our CBs and Josh.