Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ludlow Hospital refuses funding

Comments

• Options
    In the contemporary world where far too many people are too easily offended and indeed seem to go out of their way to be offended and to find offence in everyday situations, men dressing up as women, so long as said men are not 'coming out' as trans-gender, could be construed as being offensive to women and trans-gender people (I hope I have used the current correct noun) as well as in this case offensive to nurses.
    People in authority, in this case the hospital/NHS managers, have to adhere to many guidelines dealing with all manner of situations. In this case, they would be/have been damned for taking the cash and damned for refusing it, depending on the opinion of the damner. Cliché time, they are between a boulder and a landslide.
    Personally, I have sympathy for the managers who have criticised this ostensible piece of fun. Nurses have been the butt of far too many jokes, especially on 'saucy' seaside postcards and do deserve to be treated with respect as the hard working skilled people they are in 'real life'.
    Perhaps next year the chaps concerned could dress as polar or koala bears. Everyone loves polar and koala bears and such outfits should attract little or no controversy, but I wouldn't bank on it
  • Options
    Maybe they should have contacted the trust beforehand and told them of their intended method of fundraising. I would have thought the same people who contributed would do the same regardless of what costume was chosen by the fundraisers. Maybe it's a little eye catching but I find it cringeworthy, like those on stag weekends or sporting events. Shame really, good cause, well intentioned but poorly received, the trust could have told the men to stop from the start but chose to make the point after the event.
    Personally I've never found fancy dress remotely amusing nor would it influence a donation from me one way or another. Dressed like a carry on nurse I would say demeans the individual.
  • Options
    good job the CAFC Community Trust didn't think it demeaning people raising funds for the Upbeats whilst wearing Charlton kits.
  • Options

Addickted said:

1StevieG said:

it's not often that you hear charity donations being deemed insulting.

Not what was being said though is it.
    Yes it is.

Bunch of humourless wankers.

Us Brits have a tradition of doing stupid and ridiculous things to raise money for charity and long may it continue. People are spending their own time and money to raise money for charity and they have it thrown back in their faces. Pathetic.

Who cares what they do to raise money, as long as it's not illegal?

No the donation was not seen as demeaning.

The way the money was raised was seen as demeaning. Big difference.

Anyway, according to "PC gone mad" rules so often used on here youre not allowed to be "offended" on other people's behalf and none of you is a nurse.
    I'm pretty sure most people use hospitals, ie the intended recipients of the donation.
  • Options

Addickted said:

1StevieG said:

Yes it is.

Us Brits have a tradition of doing stupid and ridiculous things to raise money for charity and long may it continue. People are spending their own time and money to raise money for charity and they have it thrown back in their faces. Pathetic.

Anyway, according to "PC gone mad" rules so often used on here youre not allowed to be "offended" on other people's behalf and none of you is a nurse.
    I'm pretty sure most people use hospitals, ie the intended recipients of the donation.
    Typical leftie pc response.

• Options
    Avoiding the issue doesn't really make it any less ridiculous.

Not that it matters to me, I have private medical insurance, so I'm alright.
  • Options

**Breaking News**

Organisers of next years London Marathon have announced that all runners must do so suitably attired and cannot raise funds for charity so as to not offend anyone's sensibilities.

What if you want to run dressed as an athlete?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

**Breaking News**

Organisers of next years London Marathon have announced that all runners must do so suitably attired and cannot raise funds for charity so as to not offend anyone's sensibilities.

What if you want to run dressed as an athlete?
    suitably attired you mean?

• Options
    This is simple madness.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

1StevieG said:

Yes it is.

This with stockings & suspenders on!!
  • Options
    To quote Captain Blackadder. "It's bollocks"
  • Options
    Generation Snowflake in full effect, offended on behalf of.....

Funnily enough I never take offence if a bird wants to wear pair of jeans or trousers.
  • Options
    F***ing feminists!
  • Options

Avoiding the issue doesn't really make it any less ridiculous.

Typical Tory privitise the NHS response

Good also to see a late "offended on others behalf"

My irony clearly too ironic so I'm out
  • Options
    what would be the reaction if (say) the men had 'blacked up' to collect cash for a good cause ? .. nowadays that could be nigh on a criminal offence .. where is the line to be drawn?
  • Options
    Have the RCN made a statement on this or are they keeping us in suspenders ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think Hartlepool fans dressed as Bob Marley for one of their end of season games but were told that it would be an offence if they blacked up.
  • Options

what would be the reaction if (say) the men had 'blacked up' to collect cash for a good cause ? .. nowadays that could be nigh on a criminal offence .. where is the line to be drawn?

imo that would be unacceptable, as would dressing as the KKK, but blokes dressed as nurses? Better ban stag do's whilst we are at it.

• Options

Not really the same as dressing as nurses, to raise money for a hospital, is it.
  • Options

Do we need a line drawn, FFS we are talking about a few blokes dressing up and raising money for a good cause. Surely common sense is enough to deal with matters such as this without the need for "lines to be drawn"
  • Options

Addickted said:

1StevieG said:

Yes it is.

Neither were the fundraisers.

They were blokes dressed in comedy outfits.

• Options

BUPA nurses welcoming private patients.

• Options
    iainment said:

Isn't the issue that the NHS shouldn't need funding like this.

That's one of the issues. The other is that this silly trust will be spending more dealing with the fall-out from this than the donation was worth. A pathetic waste of resources which should come straight out of the CEO's annual bonus.
  • Options
    I wonder whether this money would have been snaffled if it was to top up Ms Ditheridge's end of year bonus?