Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Have we supporters won?

13»

Comments

• Options

Nug said:

They will think they have won. No one has won, the club is fractured, thousands of fans are missing. We have the makings of a decent League One team and have won a couple of games. Roland Out.

Are thousands of fans missing? Looking at the home attendances so far I would not expect any more for the opening games of a season in league 1.

I said this on another thread the other day and that is I feel as if I am the only one still boycotting, I am sure I am not.
    5000 lost season ticket holders suggests thousands of fans are missing.
    A few more performances and results like we've seen so far and those missing fans and more will be filling the Valley
    Some will return.
    And others will take their places if the team looks like it's making a credible challenge for promotion, that's football and there's a lot of fans that went to the Valley when we were a winning team once before. It's why the boycott was flawed...
    How can a boycott be flawed when the people boycotting are individuals who've made a personal decision? Or are you suggesting that there has been a plot to mass boycott? Because there hasn't.
    It's flawed because it took place at a time when the team was shit and got relegated. Every team loses support when that happens. Now the team is looking like it could do something special crowds will go to the Valley to watch it. Nobody will notice there has been a boycott.
  • Options

Nug said:

They will think they have won. No one has won, the club is fractured, thousands of fans are missing. We have the makings of a decent League One team and have won a couple of games. Roland Out.

Are thousands of fans missing? Looking at the home attendances so far I would not expect any more for the opening games of a season in league 1.

I said this on another thread the other day and that is I feel as if I am the only one still boycotting, I am sure I am not.
    A few more performances and results like we've seen so far and those missing fans and more will be filling the Valley
    Some will return.
    And others will take their places if the team looks like it's making a credible challenge for promotion, that's football and there's a lot of fans that went to the Valley when we were a winning team once before. It's why the boycott was flawed...
    How can a boycott be flawed when the people boycotting are individuals who've made a personal decision? Or are you suggesting that there has been a plot to mass boycott? Because there hasn't.
    It's flawed because it took place at a time when the team was shit and got relegated. Every team loses support when that happens. Now the team is looking like it could do something special crowds will go to the Valley to watch it. Nobody will notice there has been a boycott.
    There was no official boycott.
    I've never been into the protests, but as we go on our magical promotion run this season we will still notice the gaps .
    There are probably hundreds maybe running into the 1000s who are not going to return under this ownership.
  • Options

Nug said:

Some will return.
    Mmmmm, a very sweeping statement ltgtr.
    Yes, of course the crowds will get bigger, that's only to be expected .......but by how much is questionable.
  • Options
    edited August 2017

Nug said:

Some will return.
    Meire and Duchetalet have noticed that people have been keeping away in their droves, that's why we have a better squad and manager.
  • Options

Nug said:

Some will return.
    Meire and Duchetalet have noticed that people have been keeping away in their droves, that's why we have a better squad and manager.
    It could be argued we have a better squad because the law of averages meant that we'd eventually get a manager who would want to put together a team that attacks rather than one that invites the opposition to constantly attack it.
  • Options

Nug said:

Some will return.
    It could be argued we have a better squad because the law of averages meant that we'd eventually get a manager who would want to put together a team that attacks rather than one that invites the opposition to constantly attack it.
    Yes, that could be true.

I still think though that CAFC is a vanity project for Duchetalet to give Meire an English football club. That said, he is a businessman and he will want bums on seats and money trickling in.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Nug said:

Some will return.
    Luzon played attacking football. Difference is Robinson wasn't sacked after his first bad run, he's signing his own players, appointing his own coaches, has his own scouts and has much more experience in English football.

I struggle to see how all that could have happened without action from the fans (protests, boycotts, whatever else) and instead just happily clapped along and accepted as owner RD could run the club however he wanted to.
    For one glorious moment, Luzon's team played what was probably one if the best bits of football ever by a charlton team. Unfortunately it wasnt sustained and his game plan, once it stalled, went into freefall
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We will know the answer to this in a week, but still, it is dangerous to under-estimate the enemy.

Keep Kashi
    Keep Konsa
    Buy a striker

This will tell us whether the Belgians want success or are just playing Monopoly with the club.
  • Options
    Have we won...? We are all losing; the cloob, the fans and the team!

Roland out
  • Options
    We've known for a considerable time that one day we would get the who won discussion.

Generally speaking as we are all individuals, the fans who are anti RD will always feel their actions have made a difference.

The fans that are generally pro RD, will be more inclined to say that the fans actions made no difference and he came to his own conclusions/decisions, no matter what the fans did.

It will always be thus and so we are wasting our time debating it imo.

Personally, I've felt for sometime that what RD would like, before he sells up, is to see the Academy completed.

It has always been about the Academy, it is more important to him than the first team, so I believe he would like the satisfaction of seeing it completed before he sells up and I can understand that, as we have a reasonable understanding of what he is trying to achieve.
  • Options

We've known for a considerable time that one day we would get the who won discussion.

Generally speaking as we are all individuals, the fans who are anti RD will always feel their actions have made a difference.

The fans that are generally pro RD, will be more inclined to say that the fans actions made no difference and he came to his own conclusions/decisions, no matter what the fans did.

Personally, I've felt for sometime that what RD would like, before he sells up, is to see the Academy completed.

It has always been about the Academy, it is more important to him than the first team, so I believe he would like the satisfaction of seeing it completed before he sells up and I can understand that, as we have a reasonable understanding of what he is trying to achieve.

You make him sound like a philanthropic old man. Why would he want the academy finished if he wasn't then going to milk it afterwards?
  • Options
    Uboat said:

You make him sound like a philanthropic old man. Why would he want the academy finished if he wasn't then going to milk it afterwards?
    You have misunderstood me. I mentioned nothing of philanthropy.

I'm simply saying that what appears most important to RD is the training ground project and then Charlton being able to continue to produce young players. This seems more important than how our first team gets on.

So my personal view is that he would probably like to see the training ground completed for his own satisfaction, before he sells up. It's just a feeling I've had now for about a year.
  • Options
    What I can never understand is that RD is supposed to be an intelligent man, how could you make the money he has if he wasn't?, how come if he is so intelligent, it took him all this time to realise he was making a complete cock-up of our club. I do not buy he isn't interested in the football, he is interested in making money. How can he make money by letting us get relegated?
  • Options
    edited August 2017

Uboat said:

You have misunderstood me. I mentioned nothing of philanthropy.

I'm simply saying that what appears most important to RD is the training ground project and then Charlton being able to continue to produce young players. This seems more important than how our first team gets on.

So my personal view is that he would probably like to see the training ground completed for his own satisfaction, before he sells up. It's just a feeling I've had now for about a year.
    Slightly worrying is that were he to complete it, he may wish to continue with the next phase of his mad experiment.
    I ask myself why would he wish to complete it if he wasn't going to use it? I can't see that he would get a return even on the building costs by merely selling up once finished.....maybe someone could come up with the cost effectiveness of selling uncompleted or completed?
    Of course I realise it will be priced as to what building stage it was/is at at time of sale.....so that makes it rather difficult to ascertain at this stage.
    Nothing but nothing is ever straightforward with this guy!
  • Options
    Worryingly, Roland Out will want to recoup his outlay and the rumours on placing houses on the valley plus renting the valley keeps nagging me. Also worrying is the land issue with our troublesome neighbours and the likelihood they will have to move [Millwall chief executive Steve Kavanagh says the club may relocate if they are forced to sell land near their stadium.] Groundsharing makes financial sense and as Roland Out doesnt understand UK football or local rivalry or our history, he (or his dolly) is likely to explore this as part of a business venture.

Roland Out!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2017
    clb74 said:

Nug said:

Some will return.
    There was no official boycott.
    I've never been into the protests, but as we go on our magical promotion run this season we will still notice the gaps .
    There are probably hundreds maybe running into the 1000s who are not going to return under this ownership.
    Indeed, clb74.

Faithful supporters have boycotted in their droves - many of whom are in my age group & who may have already been wondering how long they could continue to a) travel to matches, b) afford to attend and c) suffer the fortnightly angst . RD's shennanigans would have assisted in making up their minds- not only have they been lost prematurely but also the family/grandkids who have always looked forward to their footballing day together. A domino effect, in effect!

Others have invariably been worn down over the past 3 years or more by the regime's ineptitude, gross misconduct in managing their football club, the disrespect shown to them by all concerned & the inevitability of the swift downturn in on the pitch success. For some, albeit with CAFC emblazoned on their hearts, enough was enough. They will question how any supporter can bear to see their beloved club dismantled before their very eyes ( Thanks, TT) As difficult as it may be, their physical support has been put on hold until this slow death is halted on the departure of the Belgians. And who can blame them ?

The protests gave the faithful a vehicle in which to show their anger & more. And, IMHO , have played a hugely significant part in "educating" the regime. Others have already elaborated on this issue so suffice to say, I'm proud to have supported CARD /WAR in their creative & highly successful initiatives...and will continue to do if/when the call to arms comes again.

So, where do we go from here ?

Has stalemate been achieved ? ie RD has been forced to change his modus operandi in an effort to gain promotion to the Championship where he is more likely to recoup some of his outgoings , whilst those continuing to attend matches at The Valley are finally witnessing some decent football under a better quality of manager, which will inevitably draw SOME of the boycotters back to their seats.

I still have my doubts as to whether The Rat will sell if we are promoted...

In an ideal world, a contract would be drawn up between RD & the fans for the remainder of the current season.

For RD's part, he would agree to continue funding Robbo in order to achieve promotion by May when he WOULD sell the club.

For the fans' part, they would agree to attend home games( if possible) to support the team to the max , hence reducing the amount of income lost in the season whilst also making The Valley a difficult place to come to for the visitors, by enhancing the volume of noise etc.

I know, I know.....The BH sun has clearly fried my remaining grey cell.

But I can dream.....

...and picture a benevolent, smiling Roland , handing out free rolls of duck/duct tape to his "children" as we all come together post match for the fortnightly Funky Chicken.

Throw another bucket of cold water over me, Richaaard !

:smile:
  • Options
    Roland's original project was to run Charlton as part of his Network, with THomas Driesen doing the scouting, and managers getting parachuted in from his other clubs. He appears to have givenup this mad idea, but I'd say that he did this because it was failing badly, not because of any victory by anybody. I've participated in all the protests including the Belgian one, I've stopped buying a S/T, but still go to a few home and away games, and don't feel the slightest sense of victory.
  • Options

Have we supporters won?
    cafcfan1990, it's way way too early to be asking this question.

I didn't
  • Options
    Solidgone said:

Worryingly, Roland Out will want to recoup his outlay and the rumours on placing houses on the valley plus renting the valley keeps nagging me. Also worrying is the land issue with our troublesome neighbours and the likelihood they will have to move [Millwall chief executive Steve Kavanagh says the club may relocate if they are forced to sell land near their stadium.] Groundsharing makes financial sense and as Roland Out doesnt understand UK football or local rivalry or our history, he (or his dolly) is likely to explore this as part of a business venture.

Roland Out!

These scenarios have been done to death and ruled out, they aren't going to happen.
  • Options

Solidgone said:

Roland Out!

These scenarios have been done to death and ruled out, they aren't going to happen.
    Thanks for the reassurance but I just don't trust the Regime or that anybody on here knows what he us up to. Unless you know something?

Roland Out.
  • Options
    edited August 2017

Have we supporters won?
    cafcfan1990, it's way way too early to be asking this question.

I didn't.
    Well............ imagine you did.
  • Options
    Positivity 100% Support
  • Options

Nug said:

Some will return.
    I'll say it again, the people boycotting have taken a personal decision, there was no organised boycott. I said this in the post you quoted yet you chose to ignore it so thought it was worth repeating.