Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Public displays of grief for someone you don't know

Comments

• Options
    it depends on the person and the circumstances .. it's up to every individual to decide on his own level of 'grief' .. I do think that nowadays, public outbursts of wallowing in grief at every possible opportunity are overdone ..
    I have spoken to young people who can't relate to WW1 remembrances .. 'so long ago, let's move on' .. makes you wonder how long 11/11 will remain a 'sacred' day .. Christians at Easter mourn the death and rebirth of a man who's existence let alone his good works are unproven .. we are all gonna die, no-one gets out alive ... let's rejoice and remember the lives of our own beloved and the unknown to us regarded as the good and the 'famous' and then let's get over it and carry on
  • Options
    iainment said:

limeygent said:

iainment said:

limeygent said:

It's not for any of us to be judgemental of how others grieve. We're all different emotionally and should be tolerant of those reacting differently from us. If you're being asked to be silent for a minute to acknowledge a life or lives that's not a lot to ask, is it?

It is if you have no respect for whoever died.
    How about respect for those who ARE grieving?
    It still depends who it is. What if it's some mass murderer who has a following? Would that be something you should respect?
    Like when Rudolph Hess died in Spandau prison...
  • Options

iainment said:

limeygent said:

iainment said:

limeygent said:

It's not for any of us to be judgemental of how others grieve. We're all different emotionally and should be tolerant of those reacting differently from us. If you're being asked to be silent for a minute to acknowledge a life or lives that's not a lot to ask, is it?

It still depends who it is. What if it's some mass murderer who has a following? Would that be something you should respect?
    Like when Rudolph Hess died in Spandau prison...
    or Lenin, embalmed and worshipped by the murderous soviet state that he founded, or Mao Tse Tung, another psychotic murderous bastard who was worshipped as a state founding 'wonderman' .. could even argue that most military men who have had statues raised in their memory were mass murderers
  • Options

I didn't cry but I was moved by Diana's death, whether I got swept along with the public grief,maybe, but I don't think so. I even went and laid some flowers in Ken Gardens, admittedly it's on my doorstep, so didn't go out of my way.

I'm not a royalist far from it but she did seem the exception from the vile others and while I'll except, she probably was equally manipulated to suit a particular image, I still felt she had a genuine feel to her, if one can ever say that about a royal.

Public figures who do the odd bit of charity work are hardly worthy of praise compared to the poor bastards working as care workers etc on minimum wage with a zero hours contract.

I thought Diana was as manipulative as the rest of the royasl and she seemed to pave the way for the celebrity culture that we're now submerged in.

I genuinely didn't recognise my own country with the hysterical reaction to her death - I found it embarrassing to behold. I didn't realise that this was just the start of it.

Social media seems to be making hysterical overreaction the norm and I find it a little worrying.

Mine wasn't a comment on how worthy she was or not or making a comparison with those who work at ground level.

It's probably at best a token gesture from a royal but glad to the point that at least she did it.

I also said she was probably equally manipulated into the figure she was but that's public and celebrity life for ya!

I find the way the media and social media stir up grief and direct people's emotions to be very worrying - when it happened with Diana I was genuinely shocked and since then we have had a massive growth in celebrity worship.

Mass hysteria was something which I thought wouldn't take hold in Britain but I was obviously very wrong. Grief seems to be increasingly trivialized and I do question long term how healthy it is for our society - we seem to have gone from one extreme to another. Some people seem more able to grieve for a person they haven't met and know nothing about than they do for their own family.

A bit of cynicism is a healthy thing.

Well C L has its R I P threads and I do often wonder why we have them, they crop up so frequently, I find them at times quite morbid, probably because, death is round the corner for all of us. Some maybe quicker than others:(

And a lot of them I've never heard of.
  • Options

I was more pissed off that my Sunday morning match was called off due to respect what the fuck was that all about

At least you could get wankered on the Saturday night without feeling guilty.
  • Options
    iainment said:

limeygent said:

iainment said:

limeygent said:

Dont think we'd be asked to stand for a minutes silence in that case, do you, seriously?
  • Options
    seth plum said:

I will frequently shed a year or two privately for all manner of things that move me.
    I have to confess tho, that when watching Diana's funeral, with the speeches by her brother and Tony Blair, and the song by Elton John I was taken by the large red carpeted space at the alter end and thought 'what we need now is a group of beautiful smiling Irish youngsters to come in and do a Riverdance number.

Weren't a fan of Di meself, but wtf are you on about?
  • Options
    Well I was moved to tears with her death and it's aftermath.

I remember the sombre mood as I travelled up the city each day.

My wife and I went up on the eve of the funeral to pay our respects. I am by inclination a republican but I thought she was an extraordinary woman. Complex yes. Flawed yes but extraordinary. She was the most famous woman in the entire world at her death.

I am an emotional person and I do cry but this was something different. I believed then and still do that the establishment wanted shot of her and she refused to go quietly.

Personally I think that the levels of grief were because every one felt connected to her. Indeed I think most were fond of her. She was beautiful, vulnerable and a giver at the same time - a compelling combination.
  • Options
    Good grief!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2017
    limeygent said:

iainment said:

limeygent said:

iainment said:

limeygent said:

Dont think we'd be asked to stand for a minutes silence in that case, do you, seriously?
    The followers might ask. Let's see what happens when Blair dies. We were asked for Thatcher and Churchill after all.
  • Options

Good grief!

I assume that comments aimed at me. I was just addressing the issue honestly.

Of course not everyone felt the way that I did but I am sure they were the minority.

I think she touched most people that's why the outpouring of grief was so great and so public.
  • Options

Well I was moved to tears with her death and it's aftermath.

I remember the sombre mood as I travelled up the city each day.

My wife and I went up on the eve of the funeral to pay our respects. I am by inclination a republican but I thought she was an extraordinary woman. Complex yes. Flawed yes but extraordinary. She was the most famous woman in the entire world at her death.

I am an emotional person and I do cry but this was something different. I believed then and still do that the establishment wanted shot of her and she refused to go quietly.

Personally I think that the levels of grief were because every one felt connected to her. Indeed I think most were fond of her. She was beautiful, vulnerable and a giver at the same time - a compelling combination.

I think that's what I was trying to say but you said it better.
  • Options

seth plum said:

I will frequently shed a year or two privately for all manner of things that move me.
    I have to confess tho, that when watching Diana's funeral, with the speeches by her brother and Tony Blair, and the song by Elton John I was taken by the large red carpeted space at the alter end and thought 'what we need now is a group of beautiful smiling Irish youngsters to come in and do a Riverdance number.

Weren't a fan of Di meself, but wtf are you on about?
    Making use of the available space of course!
  • Options

Good grief!

Of course not everyone felt the way that I did but I am sure they were the minority.

I think she touched most people that's why the outpouring of grief was so great and so public.
    I'd like to single you out mate but sorry no can do.

That was exasperation that Di, one of the biggest self publicists of her generation, has still got everyone "wibbling" over her 20 years after her death. Tragedy? yes of course, a man loses a wife and two young boys lose a mother. Also a whole fucking nation loses it's ability to rationalise and get a fucking grip!

Good grief!

I'd like to single you out mate but sorry no can do.

That was exasperation that Di, one of the biggest self publicists of her generation, has still got everyone "wibbling" over her 20 years after her death. Tragedy? yes of course, a man loses a wife and two young boys lose a mother. Also a whole fucking nation loses it's ability to rationalise and get a fucking grip!
    This!

• Options
    iainment said:

limeygent said:

iainment said:

limeygent said:

Woah, look, a straw man, GET IT!
  • Options
    I think it is easy to undertsand why people do it, but there are so many people dying, and many, many of them children that you do have to build a protective wall. I suppose somebody who means something to you, even if you don't know them, breaks through that wall.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I've always thought it says a lot more about the people that have an issue with the feelings of others.

Seems some people appear to be in almost permanent meltdown getting annoyed, wound up, cynical etc at emotions that other people feel or state, or seek to publicly state their coldness of a situation equally as much as others seek to publicly share their grief.

Weird.

You fucker, that's really wound me up.
  • Options

I've always thought it says a lot more about the people that have an issue with the feelings of others.

Seems some people appear to be in almost permanent meltdown getting annoyed, wound up, cynical etc at emotions that other people feel or state, or seek to publicly state their coldness of a situation equally as much as others seek to publicly share their grief.

Weird.

Spot on Danny.
  • Options

Weird.

I was gonna say, what's worse, someone mourning the death of a complete stranger, or someone celebrating it
  • Options
    Unifying national figures Churchill and Diana I can understand, (Thatcher I can't) , remembrance for war dead I can understand, for a victim of terrorism who was killed not far from the ground, I can understand. Someone who contributed to the club, I can understand but a minutes silence for a well remunerated celebrity or another club's chairman devalues the tribute that is paid to the few that actually deserve it. We will be having a minutes silence for somebody with a million likes on social media next.

We as a club need to get to grips with it, we as a nation need to get to grips with it and realise what is important to our nation. It isn't A list celebs, road traffic accidents, natural disasters in outer mongolia nor is it 96 people who died in Hillsborough (do the Liverpool supporters remember those at Heysel?).
    We are becoming a society whose values are dictated by the rolling 24 hour news agenda (when there is nothing else happening repeat and emphasis) rather than any underlying ethical culture.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Never understood this kind of thing? Certainly not for a single person.

Sure after a terrorist attack or huge accident, but not for Diana or any other 'celebrity' sure it's sad when anyone dies, but i'm not going to cry over those I never knew.

However each and every person has a human right to grieve. I respect that.
  • Options
    Each to their own, surely?
  • Options

Someone mourning the complete death of a stranger and weeping buckets over it is seriously weird and a bit worrying. Lady Di was a privileged young woman who did a bit of charity work yet when she died half the country went into meltdown which is a bit disturbing.

The herd mentality is something I find disturbing and this has got worse with the advent of social media.

The point I'm trying to make is that grieving is almost becoming like a spectator sport. The obsession with celebs that people don't know is not healthy and I just think the whole grieving process is becoming trivialized.

i agree to a certain extent, v similar to the pray for hashtags after a atrocity, it doesn't do anything it just makes some people look like they care.