Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Public displays of grief for someone you don't know

1235»

Comments

• Options
    maybe we should have a thread about outpourings of happiness when someone you dont like pegs it
  • Options

lolwray said:

maybe we should have a thread about outpourings of happiness when someone you dont like pegs it

I'd expect CL to groan under the weight of delight if the decrepit belgian fucktard so much as stubbed his toe. We can confidently look forward to a bandwidth crisis should some serious misfortune befall the mad old arsehole.
    i dunno people who sit on the fence eh ?
  • Options
    I don't think I have ever had grief for someone I didn't know.

Last non family or friend death that upset me was the little boy who drowned at height of migrant crisis in Greece. But grief no.
  • Options
    I think it's just paying respect. And I think that's a good thing. In my opinion it's a shame that some people can't just take it as that.
  • Options
    Rob said:

I think it's just paying respect. And I think that's a good thing. In my opinion it's a shame that some people can't just take it as that.

That is fine, but not what I judge this thread to be about. The title says it all. Public grief and paying respect are different things.
  • Options
    A slightly different topic but it's the same for me as when a celebrity/royal has a kid - good for them but don't expect me to wildly celebrating. Equally when a celebrity/royal dies it's obviously sad but no more so than when anyone dies & so I won't be weeping in public and certainly not taking to the streets with flowers
  • Options
    Jade Goody - a no mark who had 15 minutes of fame, on a cheap, live, television show, who ended up on the front pages of the largest domestic newspaper, in terms of sales, in the UK, when she died.

What really angered me, is she died a couple of months after my Mum had died.

Why didn't my Mum, who had done far more in her life than Jade Goody, get front page spreads in the national press?
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    All of us are driven by our emotional responses. Even if we aren't directly conscious of them.

For an event such as the death of Diana to have affected so many says much about us as individuals and her impact on each of us.

Of course not everyone was either emotionally effected by her death or actually cried. To belittle that extrordinary outpouring of grief is itself disrespectful to those were moved enough to pay their own tribute's and display emotion.

My wife and I travelled up by train from Tunbridge Wells on the eve of her funeral. The carriage was filled with ordinary people - singles, couples, friends and families with children quiet and reflective, clutching flower's, cards and gifts to lay. There were many many children being helped by parents to find some closure over the fairytale princess who had been so cruelly taken down in the prime of her life.

Whether you liked her, hated her or were completely indifferent to her, she was without doubt the most famous woman in the entire world and an iconic figure. That's a fact. I doubt as a nation we will ever have such an outpouring of grief as we did at that time.

I can't help also but reflect that our country was much less divided then than it is now sadly.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Rob said:

That is fine, but not what I judge this thread to be about. The title says it all. Public grief and paying respect are different things.
    Agreed. The thread has deviated from that though so I was addressing that.

Regarding the original topic. To me, people do build up emotional attachments to people they don't know personally but 'know' because they are in the public eye. It naturally happens and it does bring on sadness when those people die. From an emotional perspective it's not too dis-similar to people feeling sad and teary eyed during a movie or TV show when a character they like dies in some way. Regarding the public displays of grief for this - I can't see any problem in it. It's just showing respect for someone you do know (indirectly) and feel sad about.
  • Options
    edited September 2017

All of us a driven by our emotional responses. Even if we aren't directly conscious of them.

For an event such as the death of Diana to have affected so many says much about us as individuals and her impact on each of us.

Of course not everyone was either emotionally effected by her death or actually cried. To belittle that extrordinary outpouring of grief is itself disrespectful to those were moved enough to pay their own tribute's and display emotion.

My wife and I travelled up by train from Tunbridge Wells on the eve of her funeral. The carriage was filled with ordinary people - singles, couples, friends and families with children quiet and reflective, clutching flower's, cards and gifts to lay. There were many many children being helped by parents to find some closure over the fairytale princess who had been so cruelly taken down in the prime of her life.

Whether you liked her, hated her or were completely indifferent to her, she was without doubt the most famous woman in the entire world and an iconic figure. That's a fact. I doubt as a nation we will ever have such an outpouring of grief as we did at that time.

I can't help also but reflect that our country was much less divided then than it is now sadly.

I have no intention of belittling anybody on this site but I must say that I was totally baffled by the outpouring of grief over the death of Diana and was ashamed of my country because of it. I realise that grief is an emotional response but any rational analysis of her life would surely show that she was unworthy of such adoration. She did heighten acceptance of people suffering with HIV and was much more touchy feely around African orphans than the other royals and that is all to the good. I accept that she was badly treated by her husband and the rest of his ghastly family. However she spent much of her time trying to seduce husbands of other women and screaming down the phone at them when they rejected her advances. She died, as she mostly lived, on holiday.

I agree she was an iconic figure. So was Linda Lovelace.
  • Options
    jams said:

A slightly different topic but it's the same for me as when a celebrity/royal has a kid - good for them but don't expect me to wildly celebrating. Equally when a celebrity/royal dies it's obviously sad but no more so than when anyone dies & so I won't be weeping in public and certainly not taking to the streets with flowers

I've been doing cartwheels in the street for the last two days
  • Options

Why so much angst from some of you?
    We are all different and nothing more so than in expressing ones sorrow at someone's passing (who ever they are), it's a personal emotion.
    You don't feel it, that's fine......but to criticise folk who are affected differently is pretty disrespectful if you ask me.
    We aren't all cut from the same cloth.......fortunately!

But by imposing on tens of thousands of football fans there it does not respect there right to not grieve
  • Options

it depends on the person and the circumstances .. it's up to every individual to decide on his own level of 'grief' .. I do think that nowadays, public outbursts of wallowing in grief at every possible opportunity are overdone ..
    I have spoken to young people who can't relate to WW1 remembrances .. 'so long ago, let's move on' .. makes you wonder how long 11/11 will remain a 'sacred' day .. Christians at Easter mourn the death and rebirth of a man who's existence let alone his good works are unproven .. we are all gonna die, no-one gets out alive ... let's rejoice and remember the lives of our own beloved and the unknown to us regarded as the good and the 'famous' and then let's get over it and carry on

Jesus is a proven historical figure
  • Options
    holyjo said:

it depends on the person and the circumstances .. it's up to every individual to decide on his own level of 'grief' .. I do think that nowadays, public outbursts of wallowing in grief at every possible opportunity are overdone ..
    I have spoken to young people who can't relate to WW1 remembrances .. 'so long ago, let's move on' .. makes you wonder how long 11/11 will remain a 'sacred' day .. Christians at Easter mourn the death and rebirth of a man who's existence let alone his good works are unproven .. we are all gonna die, no-one gets out alive ... let's rejoice and remember the lives of our own beloved and the unknown to us regarded as the good and the 'famous' and then let's get over it and carry on

Really?
  • Options

I realise I'm in a minority nowadays but this trend that started with the death of Lady Di really does my head in. It's been a great boost for florists but it does my nut in.

Watching the Diana doc with Tony Blair talking about the 'people's princess' is like a spoof.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1H913UqQ6w
    Wow. Got 3 minutes into it and had to give up! Did that audience actually have to pay for a ticket to see that comedy?
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

limeygent said:

Do we have to meet somebody for them to touch our lives in some important way, or for us to grieve their passing? Maybe as we get older our outlook changes? I've certainly shed a tear or two for people I've never met.

Totally agree.

Two that spring to mind for me where I shed genuine tears of grief - John Lennon and Muhammad Ali.
    DIY SOS does it for me!!!
  • Options

I didn't cry but I was moved by Diana's death, whether I got swept along with the public grief,maybe, but I don't think so. I even went and laid some flowers in Ken Gardens, admittedly it's on my doorstep, so didn't go out of my way.

I'm not a royalist far from it but she did seem the exception from the vile others and while I'll except, she probably was equally manipulated to suit a particular image, I still felt she had a genuine feel to her, if one can ever say that about a royal.

Public figures who do the odd bit of charity work are hardly worthy of praise compared to the poor bastards working as care workers etc on minimum wage with a zero hours contract.

I thought Diana was as manipulative as the rest of the royasl and she seemed to pave the way for the celebrity culture that we're now submerged in.

I genuinely didn't recognise my own country with the hysterical reaction to her death - I found it embarrassing to behold. I didn't realise that this was just the start of it.

Social media seems to be making hysterical overreaction the norm and I find it a little worrying.

Mine wasn't a comment on how worthy she was or not or making a comparison with those who work at ground level.

It's probably at best a token gesture from a royal but glad to the point that at least she did it.

I also said she was probably equally manipulated into the figure she was but that's public and celebrity life for ya!

I find the way the media and social media stir up grief and direct people's emotions to be very worrying - when it happened with Diana I was genuinely shocked and since then we have had a massive growth in celebrity worship.

Mass hysteria was something which I thought wouldn't take hold in Britain but I was obviously very wrong. Grief seems to be increasingly trivialized and I do question long term how healthy it is for our society - we seem to have gone from one extreme to another. Some people seem more able to grieve for a person they haven't met and know nothing about than they do for their own family.

A bit of cynicism is a healthy thing.

Well C L has its R I P threads and I do often wonder why we have them, they crop up so frequently, I find them at times quite morbid, probably because, death is round the corner for all of us. Some maybe quicker than others:(

And a lot of them I've never heard of.
    Don't necessarily think they're morbid. Just more of a competition for who can be the first to start an RIP thread, often remembering someone really obscure.
  • Options
    holyjo said:

True.

He did Similar tricks to Paul Daniels.