Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Public displays of grief for someone you don't know

Comments

• Options
    The minutes silence can be incredibly powerful and in respect of those who have made the ultimate sacrifice for their country it carries real power. If it's trivialized then I fear it will lose its significance.

I like the memorial at Charlton where we applaud those who have departed us as for me it reflects our community.
  • Options
    How about when Elvis or John Lennon died?

Both I felt a connection with, don't recall actually shedding tears but was nevertheless deeply saddened and moved.
  • Options
    Is my memory playing tricks or did we have a min silence for Glen Hoddles Dad during the prem years?
  • Options
    I gather Oldham are staging one for Bruce Forsyth this Saturday.
  • Options
    Amazing thread for football fans who like and dislike, adore and hate and vilify people they don't know and have never met.
  • Options

Both I felt a connection with, don't recall actually shedding tears but was nevertheless deeply saddened and moved.

Agree on this, I was quite young at the time and felt shocked at both deaths. I am a sentimental sod, but the fact that some people still get emotionally involved about Diana twenty years on is a bit mawkish.
  • Options
    Worst thing about it all being on tv again is The fact that it brings out vermin like Paul Burrell to the centre of attention again is enough to make me want to kick a hole in his head

My Rock

No your a fucking cock money grabbing bullshitting wanker
  • Options
    Not quite someone, but something.
    Usually my football coupon at 16:50 every Saturday
    I know I'm not the only one on here who is shit at football predictions, so maybe a carpet ban on posting between 16:5-16:51 every Saturday?
    A simple remembrance to all those fallen accumalators
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I gather Oldham are staging one for Bruce Forsyth this Saturday.

Should be a Good Game.
    It'll be nice to see you.
  • Options
    To see you nice
  • Options
    I think Oldham will score 3. What do the audience think?
  • Options
    Walked past the statue of Pope Saint John Paul II in Paris yesterday, and a woman was sat in front of it bawling her eyes out and completely consumed by grief. I found that especially weird considering he died a decade or so ago
  • Options
    Might have been from North Korea and only just heard about it.
  • Options
    Maybe tears of laughter as she read about his 'miracles'
  • Options
    edited August 2017

I've always thought it says a lot more about the people that have an issue with the feelings of others.

Seems some people appear to be in almost permanent meltdown getting annoyed, wound up, cynical etc at emotions that other people feel or state, or seek to publicly state their coldness of a situation equally as much as others seek to publicly share their grief.

Weird.

Agree.
    I wasn't particularly moved by the death of Diana beyond normal sadness on learning a of a death and feeling for her sons but was surprised that in the hysteria people were demanding that the royal family grieve in a certain, public way as if they didn't show emotions in public they weren't grieving enough or in the "right" way.
    Yes, it was disgusting. To me, it shows how easily manipulated people can be. What right do we have to tell antbody how they should grieve? I was sad Diana died in the same way I am sad when anybody that doesn't deserve to dies. Children are dying every minute - that is very sad. When Bruce forsyth died, I was sad because he gave me special memories as a child, not because I knew him and it didn't affect me day to day - I gave him my respect rather than grief - that should be for people who new him.
  • Options
    Not so much a display of grief but I did have to go to the toilet at work to compose myself when I saw that Yann had been sold.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Not so much a display of grief but I did have to go to the toilet at work to compose myself when I saw that Yann had been sold.

Did your bowels move on?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Let's check the scores in the doors
  • Options
    I will grieve for Yann if he joins the Scum.
  • Options

Lennon is a funny one, cos it upset a lot of people obviously, despite him being a pretty horrible person! Still, it's not like he was as evil as Mother Theresa.
  • Options
    Theresa May?
  • Options

LOWER LOWER!!
  • Options
    I think there will be a lot of public grief when George Cole finally leaves us
  • Options

I seem to recall going on a beano (pre planned) on the day of Lady Di's funeral.

I'd expect nothing different from you to be honest.
  • Options
    John Lennon's death was shocking because of the violence but I wasn't grief stricken, I have no recollection of where I was or what I was doing when I found out.
    Diana's death permeated in a way I haven't seen before or since. I hadn't seen or heard any news overnight and awoke that Sunday morning with an unfamiliar sense of restless disquiet. For 8am on a Sunday with many windows open around the flat everything was unusually quiet. Completely out of character and for the sake of something to do I put the radio on, Sunday morning radio at the time was unlistenable. The BBC was just playing moopy instrumental music with the occasional announcement to the effect of "normal programming has been suspended in light of the overnight news", no mention of what that news was. I could only think that HMQ herself had popped off, so put on the telly. My initial reaction was "no, that's clearly not right, what are they talking about?" I wasn't grief stricken, like a family member had died but it was definitely affecting.
    The atmosphere at work that week was unprecedented, there was little conversation and only one topic if it wasn't work related. There was one notable exception to the general quiet reflectiveness in the one colleague who lacked any empathy for anyone ever and was firmly convinced that her father-in-law had her dispatched, quite rightly in his view.
    While I find the extremity of some people's reactions bewildering, especially when they can only have 'known' Diana through the tabloid press; I don't doubt that the majority of their feelings are sincere. A few cranks, fantacists and parasites will always float to the surface. The atmosphere for the whole day of the funeral the following Saturday was bleak. The quiet for the hours before and during the funeral was astonishing, more so even than that first Sunday. The sheer numbers who felt compelled to go to London was bewildering but I don't doubt their sincerity.
    Only one other time has the death of someone I had never met caused emotion one might call 'grief'. I saw the announcement of John Peel's death on an Evening Standard hording as I walked through an underground station on my way home from work. My initial reaction was the same as to the news of Diana's death: "that's obviously not right".
    I was never a devotee of Peel's. His presence on Radio 1 had been near enough permanent from when I was first aware of Radio 1. I'd heard more of his Radio 4 'Home Truths' programs than his late night eclectic music shows. I was certainly aware of the regard in which he was held by people across the contemporary music spectrum. But I didn't seek out his music shows. Seeing that hording stopped me in my tracks, baffled. When I got hold of a later edition of the standard, details were few but my reaction was definitely one of loss, bereavement, grief, call it what you will. I don't understand it but there it is.
    As for getting wound up by the saturation coverage of all this wailing and nostalgic grieving, I always find that the OFF switch is the best way to deal with programming I don't like.