Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

ParkRun / Running Thread

Comments

• edited October 2018
    Been running on and off for the last few years, but really stepped it up last year.
    Did 5 half marathons between Sept and June this year. Did another one on Sunday. Will then do Dec, Feb, March and April (Auckland Half Marathon Series). Still trying to get sub 2 hours.
    Won't happen for a while.
    I've often considered if I should try a marathon. But to be frank, after running 21k, I couldn't see myself doing another lap. Just too tired. I know it comes down to training, but don't think I could be bothered.

(Running isn't good for my knees though, as I currently weigh 18 stones).
  • Did the Southwark one last weekend and managed 5k running non-stop for the first time. Would have been faster if I hadn't had drank loads of lager the night before, but you've gotta seize those small victories.

Back at Hilly Fields tomorrow. Hoping to get around all the south-east London ones at some point, been eyeing up Danson Park (Bexley parkrun) for a while (partly because I've never set foot in the place, which is a bit mad).
  • I’ll be at Avery Hill in the morning so if anyone fancies it give me a shout and we can have a pre race hello

No quoting and changing the hello Mehmet!
  • Bloke at work is 20 days into doing 30 half marathons in 30 days for charity.

I was at work at 715 this morning and he had already done today’s half marathon!!
  • MrOneLung said:

Bloke at work is 20 days into doing 30 half marathons in 30 days for charity.

I was at work at 715 this morning and he had already done today’s half marathon!!

Love stuff like that. Good on him. Post his donation link when you get the chance
  • edited October 2018
    JiMMy 85 said:

I started doing the couch to 5k (I wasn't a couch potato but figured it shouldn't preclude me).

Only doing it on a machine in the gym, so it's not quite as hard. But fuck me, my knees.... is this what getting old is? My knees shouldn't hurt this much... should they!?

1. Treadmills are liars. Always add at least 1.5% incline.

2. Get proper trainers following a gait analysis.
  • Felt I'd done better today as my legs weren't as heavy but breathing wasn't as good as usual. Had a few walk spells. I knew I'd had a good first lap as I was lapped a lot further along than normal by the leaders. 3rd lap was tough though and I was just 2 seconds off my PB.
    @AFKABartram goes sub 25min!
  • First thing I did was look for your time, gutted you were so close to PB. Next week mate, but getting out there and getting miles in the bank is the real achievement, not the time.

How did everyone else do this morning?
  • Knocked 30 seconds off pb today and thought I was gonna keel over afterwards. Joined a running club and it's really helped.
  • Six seconds off my brockwell pb, but had to do my shoelaces half way round. Very frustrating. Got a half next week so another crack at it in a fortnight
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2018
  • Didnt get into the marathon
  • Two weeks to my Great South Run 10 Miles for Cats Protection League, thanks to those from CL who have sponsored me. I did my first ever 10 mile from Blackheath>Charlton>Greenwich via Thames Path (YAY)>Blackheath at the weekend. Will never be fast but at least i did it.
  • Just finished my second 10k. 1hr5, so 2 mins faster. Very happy, though my legs are a bit wobbly
  • Good luck this morning boys and girls, looks a lovely day for it.

Avery Hill here we come
  • Just getting ready now. Had a few ciders last night, so if I run a pb its because I'm in a hurry to get to the bogs
  • edited October 2018
    Parkrun is too early, I managed it once 2-years ago, who wants to be not sleeping at 8am on a Saturday morning?
  • That was really hot! Thought I spend round, though it turns out I hadn't, came 428th in just under half an hour oh well. Really packed as usual and bottlenecks at the start... But great fun!

Just had breakfast in the garden to top it all off
  • Fumbluff said:

Parkrun is too early, I managed it once 2-years ago, who wants to be not sleeping at 8am on a Saturday morning?

One of my boys was up today at 5.51 so a 9am start is virtually lunchtime!

Seriously though, my attitude has changed as I’ve got older. I work long hours all week so there is no way I want to waste the weekend in bed. Even if I do sneak a lay in I’ll still be up 7ish. Get up, get active, get on with your day :-)
    Well it's obviously working as you PB'ed again today!

44:58 for me, poor. Couldn't get my breathing going and walked about 60%.
  • Sponsored links:

• went for my 3rd time this morning....very rough night after a tough week at work...shattered...thought I was really struggling on the way round and had to have a word with myself on the second lap (Danson Park), but knocked 1.30 or so off last week's time... Starting to think i could enjoy it if I actually did some training during the week... Lovely, lovely morning for it.
  • edited October 2018
    That’s great work CC, the tick up in temperature I thought made it harder today. Looking down the results list of Avery Hill, two weeks ago there were 60+ PBs, last week 51, today just 28. So to post such a big drop is really impressive. You’ll be top 100 next run, that’s your next target.

I found this mornings run really hard. I went out too hard last week and really suffered in second half. Today I deliberately went out slower and...really struggled in second half! I kept my Pb run going by the thinnest of 1 second margins. Was genuinely delighted with that as I gave absolutely everything and was completely spent after (still am), so great feeling knowing it was worthwhile.

Hoping to get some new trainers some point this week.

Well done @McBobbin anyone else get out this morning? How did you get on?
  • Parkrun no 22 today and for some reason was one of my worst, started out aiming to beat my pb 24.45 , was overtaken by pacers 25,26,27;28 and 29 finishing 29.30 , felt ill at the end and not much better now, maybe been over doing the running this week , I’ll try again in two weeks
  • Entered Eastbourne half marathon for March 2019. Competing against my Millwall supporting mate for South London bragging rights, as well as a small wager.
  • I haven't done a Parkrun (or much other running) since Apr 17. This thread has wet my whistle again, so I've been out a few times in the last couple of weeks, and may be tempted by Danson Park this Saturday. (it wont be quick but I'll get round and will look to improve as the weeks go by). I'll look out for Charlton Charlie. AFKA, impressive times around Avery hill.
  • I haven't done a Parkrun (or much other running) since Apr 17. This thread has wet my whistle again, so I've been out a few times in the last couple of weeks, and may be tempted by Danson Park this Saturday. (it wont be quick but I'll get round and will look to improve as the weeks go by). I'll look out for Charlton Charlie. AFKA, impressive times around Avery hill.

The next CIFC reunion won’t be at Coldharbour, it’s gonna be enroute at the London Marathon
  • Great work @McBobbin

I’m injured at the mo and hugely peed off
  • @DaveStorry hello mate - I won't be there this weekend....am up in Yorkshire and so will be running in beautiful Dalby Forest for the next two weekends... Everest will be there on the 27th.

I'll be back at Danson for 10th Nov...(NYC on the 3rd, where I'll be doing no running whatsoever)... I look forward to a pootle round the lake with you in a few weeks :smile: