Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

CRYSTAL PALACE HAVE SCORED A GOAL

Comments

• Stig, that's a brilliant post. If this was Reddit I'd give you Gold.

Also, I took the average required point target to survive in the PL for the last five years - it's 36!
  • Stig said:

JiMMy 85 said:

The current table isn't the point. They are not 4 points from safety when there's 32 games to go. At least wait until the teams have played each other once each.

They had 38 games to get about 35 points. Now they have 32 games to get to that total. And they haven't scored a goal. This is a brilliant start. I want us to keep enjoying it, but I can't handle the "they are only XX points from safety!" for the next 7 months!

I like your thinking Jimmy. Using your figures we can produce an index figure along the lines of a cricket run rate; if you don't keep up with the required rate it goes up and becomes harder to achieve. Using your 35 points as a likely survival target, from the start of the season they needed to pick up 0.92 points per game. Six games in and they now need to average 1.09 points per game. Keep losing and this figure will keep going up. Already one draw per game is not enough.

A variation of this is to look at the percentage of points available that they need. You get bigger numbers that way so it looks funnier. At the start of the season they needed 31% of all points available in order to survive; now it's 36%.

I'm enjoying this game. I don't understand people who say don't laugh at them because we're in a worse position than them. This is schadenfreude folks, you've got to take it anywhere you can. It's not about us, it's about them and I for one am thoroughly enjoying their pitiful start to the season.
    This has to be done :smiley:
  • edited September 2017
    stonemuse said:

Stig said:

JiMMy 85 said:

The current table isn't the point. They are not 4 points from safety when there's 32 games to go. At least wait until the teams have played each other once each.

They had 38 games to get about 35 points. Now they have 32 games to get to that total. And they haven't scored a goal. This is a brilliant start. I want us to keep enjoying it, but I can't handle the "they are only XX points from safety!" for the next 7 months!

Already one draw per game is not enough.
    This has to be done :smiley:
    This, already, is wonderful, one draw per game is not enough.
  • Hodgson was an excellent manager but football has changed. I think he was a modern coach in the 70s and 80s, but isn't adaptable. I was quite pleased when Palace chose him.
  • Stig said:

JiMMy 85 said:

I like your thinking Jimmy. Using your figures we can produce an index figure along the lines of a cricket run rate; if you don't keep up with the required rate it goes up and becomes harder to achieve. Using your 35 points as a likely survival target, from the start of the season they needed to pick up 0.92 points per game. Six games in and they now need to average 1.09 points per game. Keep losing and this figure will keep going up. Already one draw per game is not enough.

A variation of this is to look at the percentage of points available that they need. You get bigger numbers that way so it looks funnier. At the start of the season they needed 31% of all points available in order to survive; now it's 36%.

I'm enjoying this game. I don't understand people who say don't laugh at them because we're in a worse position than them. This is schadenfreude folks, you've got to take it anywhere you can. It's not about us, it's about them and I for one am thoroughly enjoying their pitiful start to the season.
    Give yourself a promote!
  • edited September 2017
    Might try to make money from their plight
  • Stig said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Woy has just signed up the out of contract Duckworth-Lewis. With Autumn round the corner, the rain is bound to come.
  • Might try to make money from their plight

I was thinking, they've done Chelsea before at home. They could rally for that, get the crowd up for it and storm to a surprise win. But then I pictured Roy Hodgson. Pictured him trying to gee up the players. Imagined what young players must think of him, especially after last year.

And I can't see it. I just can't see them turning it round in those games under him. Maybe he can get them more organised for the winter, but the near future looks so very bleak!
  • JiMMy 85 said:

I was thinking, they've done Chelsea before at home. They could rally for that, get the crowd up for it and storm to a surprise win. But then I pictured Roy Hodgson. Pictured him trying to gee up the players. Imagined what young players must think of him, especially after last year.

And I can't see it. I just can't see them turning it round in those games under him. Maybe he can get them more organised for the winter, but the near future looks so very bleak!
    I was thinking of going for the 20/1 that they won't score in the next four games.....
  • Sponsored links:

• Nothing to see here, move on.

JiMMy 85 said:

I was thinking of going for the 20/1 that they won't score in the next four games.....
    Don't tempt fate by putting money on it. The satisfaction derived from them not scoring in the next 4 games is worth far more than mere money.
    If me pointing my finger at various parts of an iPhone in order to place a bet had the power to affect the outcome of events that don't involve me, then I wouldn't need to bet in the first place.
  • Shirley Lambert would prefer League 1 to the Prem?
  • In relation to Freddie Ladapo:

"Yet last season he struggled when sent on loan to League One. With Oldham Athletic, he scored just two goals in 17 games. With Shrewsbury Town, he got four in 15."

It gave me great pleasure to read this, but then I had a very real vision of Karl Robinson announcing his arrival at CAFC on loan on the last day of the January transfer window.

"Premier League experience blah blah blah. The sort of player who'll excite our fans blah blah blah. Another bargain bin signing who can't hit a cow's arse with a banjo blah blah blah."

Honestly, I reckon he'll be Dodoo's replacement when he goes back to Rangers.
  • Please let them sign Chamakh back, shite player.

Surely they will just play Townsend up top or something.

Or Dann, his finishing was spot on v Burnley.
  • Sponsored links:

• What I love is the fact they're considering either Lambert | Rossi | N'Gog on Free Transfer

I know its not Ben Reeves we're talking about here but it is the Premier League, they're going to be signed on a Contract (regardless) yet are going to take a few weeks to get up to the speed and fitness required at the top level.

Means more wages they're forced to pay out and hopefully the more fucked they'll be when relegated next Summer
  • What I love is the fact they're considering either Lambert | Rossi | N'Gog on Free Transfer

I know its not Ben Reeves we're talking about here but it is the Premier League, they're going to be signed on a Contract (regardless) yet are going to take a few weeks to get up to the speed and fitness required at the top level.

Means more wages they're forced to pay out and hopefully the more fucked they'll be when relegated next Summer

The wages for a short term player wouldn't be a problem, but it's shocking that a PL team should be scrounging around for free agents in September! By the time such a player is up to speed, surely Benteke would be near fitness anyway?

• Didn't Schlupp used to play up top? Got to be better than Carlton Cole surely.
  • From what i've read they played Sako up front in a league cup tie and he scored so i'm pretty sure he'll play there
  • Loftus-Cheek is ineligible for the Chelsea game as well.