Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The influence of the EU on Britain.

Comments

• Karen Bradley admits ignorance of Northern Ireland politics

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/sep/07/karen-bradley-admits-not-understanding-northern-irish-politics?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

I find this simply astonishing. The sheer ignorance and stupidity of senior ministers in this Tory government, a government leading the country in the most perilous times since WW2, is truly truly shocking!

I agree.....staggering how some MP's get ministerial jobs.

As an aside.......Newsnight did a piece on NI tonight saying that a Referendum on a united Ireland could go yhe way of the Nationalists.

Now that would be a way to solve "the Irish problem"......let them unite & join the EU. Wont need to worry about a border then.
  • If only it were that simple. I suspect it would cause more problems and violence.
  • Like this tweet from Mallow News.

"Karen Bradley Admits She Thought IRA and UDA Were The Jewish Couple Who Lived ‘Two Doors Down"

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/sep/07/karen-bradley-admits-not-understanding-northern-irish-politics?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

I find this simply astonishing. The sheer ignorance and stupidity of senior ministers in this Tory government, a government leading the country in the most perilous times since WW2, is truly truly shocking!

That's all well, but what about that time Diane Abbot got her figures wrong in the umpteenth interview she'd done that day though?

Now that really proves who's the thickest in UK politics.

That's how it works I think...
  • Great to see your support for a middle class Cambridge graduate who worked and fought for Robert Maxwell.

Great to see yours for government that is engaged in killing it's own people TODAY.
    Where?
    #FakeAlgarvenotnews

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/number-of-homeless-people-dying-more-than-doubles-in-five-years-figures-show-a8298981.html

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/aug/27/thousands-died-after-fit-for-work-assessment-dwp-figures

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/tory-austerity-deaths-study-report-people-die-social-care-government-policy-a8057306.html

If only 10% is true, that's still 12'000 people too many being killed by government policy, now.

As an aside.......Newsnight did a piece on NI tonight saying that a Referendum on a united Ireland could go yhe way of the Nationalists.

Now that would be a way to solve "the Irish problem"......let them unite & join the EU. Wont need to worry about a border then.
    It's going to pain me, but I do feel obliged to defend Karen Bradley to a certain degree.

All she was doing was being honest.

It is common, and always has been, for incoming Secretaries of State for Northern Ireland to not understand politics here before their appointment.

Generally speaking, people like Peter Hain might have been an exception (but he still had a very specific view of Northern Ireland, so some will have argued that he did not understand their perspective), UK politicians have had no interest in Northern Ireland, other than to limit the potential for violence (either real or threatened), which is why Northern Ireland was allowed be created and maintained for half a century as a sectarian statelet.

Secretaries of State do come to understand the politics here, a process closely linked to increasing feelings of depression (very much so in the non-medical understanding of the word), incomprehension and negativity, and a desperate willingness to be anywhere else.

It's going to pain me, but I do feel obliged to defend Karen Bradley to a certain degree.

It is common, and always has been, for incoming Secretaries of State for Northern Ireland to not understand politics here before their appointment.

Generally speaking, people like Peter Hain might have been an exception (but he still had a very specific view of Northern Ireland, so some will have argued that he did not understand their perspective), UK politicians have had no interest in Northern Ireland, other than to limit the potential for violence (either real or threatened), which is why Northern Ireland was allowed be created and maintained for half a century as a sectarian statelet.

Secretaries of State do come to understand the politics here, a process closely linked to increasing feelings of depression (very much so in the non-medical understanding of the word), incomprehension and negativity, and a desperate willingness to be anywhere else.
    I can categorically state that I knew and understood more about the history and politics of Northern Ireland when I was 16 than this idiot who has been the Northern Ireland secretary for the last 9 months. There is no excuse for this. You cannot seriously expect us to believe there have been previous Northern Ireland secretaries with anywhere near this level of rank stupidity and ignorance. I would love to ask her how she thinks the protestants came to be living in Northern Ireland in the first place. She probably thinks there must have been a geological incident in the 18th century that resulted in Ireland detaching from Great Britain!

Gavin Williamson, Liam Fox and this idiot in the same government cabinet involved in making monumental decisions about our country's future! Morons elected by morons. I am glad I am as old as I am. I have lost all hope for the future of this country.

I can categorically state that I knew and understood more about the history and politics of Northern Ireland when I was 16 than this idiot who has been the Northern Ireland secretary for the last 9 months. There is no excuse for this. You cannot seriously expect us to believe there have been previous Northern Ireland secretaries with anywhere near this level of rank stupidity and ignorance. I would love to ask her how she thinks the protestants came to be living in Northern Ireland in the first place. She probably thinks there must have been a geological incident in the 18th century that resulted in Ireland detaching from Great Britain!

Gavin Williamson, Liam Fox and this idiot in the same government cabinet involved in making monumental decisions about our country's future! Morons elected by morons. I am glad I am as old as I am. I have lost all hope for the future of this country.
    Fail to see any reason for a flag here.

It wasn't you being called a moron.
  • @Stu_of_Kunming

You have flagged my last post. I don't give a toss about people giving me flags, especially when they are from serial flaggers like you. But I would really be interested in what motivated this flag. I originally wrote "retard" instead of "idiot" but elected to change it because I thought that word might cause offence. Why are you wasting moderators time. I know you have spent many years living in China, a country where free speech and criticism of government and ruling elites is not tolerated. Do you think, sub consciously you have been affected by living under this regime and so think you have to constantly urge moderators of a football forum in a free democratic country in the western world to scrutinise and censor every post you think is contentious and you seek to take offence to?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2018

Karen Bradley admits ignorance of Northern Ireland politics

Ha, I didn't realise that was the offense you took. You do realise some leaders in the western world are regularly referred to as morons and the voters who vote for them are referred to as morons? Do you not have access to late shows in the US. Or commentators such as Bill Maher?

Ha, I didn't realise that was the offence you took. You do realise some leaders in the western world are regularly referred to as morons and the voters who vote for them are referred to as morons? Do you not have access to late shows in the US. Or commentators such as Bill Maher?
    Yes I do, I find being called a moron to be offensive, the fact you originally used the word retard shows me everything I need to know about your mindset.
  • @Stu_of_Kunming

You have flagged my last post. I don't give a toss about people giving me flags, especially when they are from serial flaggers like you. But I would really be interested in what motivated this flag. I originally wrote "retard" instead of "idiot" but elected to change it because I thought that word might cause offence. Why are you wasting moderators time. I know you have spent many years living in China, a country where free speech and criticism of government and ruling elites is not tolerated. Do you think, sub consciously you have been affected by living under this regime and so think you have to constantly urge moderators of a football forum in a free democratic country in the western world to scrutinise and censor every post you think is contentious and you seek to take offence to?

Do you mean those same moderators who have asked you several times not to use personal insults? Id say it's you wasting their time, not me.

I know I sometimes post similar things, but I don't cry about it when those posts get flagged.
  • edited September 2018

Ha, I didn't realise that was the offence you took. You do realise some leaders in the western world are regularly referred to as morons and the voters who vote for them are referred to as morons? Do you not have access to late shows in the US. Or commentators such as Bill Maher?
    Yes I do, I find being called a moron to be offensive, the fact you originally used the word retard shows me everything I need to know about your mindset.
    Bit of an effort to assume I was specifically calling you a moron in that post in order that you could take offense. But, fair enough, you have answered the question. I will await and accept my punishment from the moderators when they respond to your complaint. Maybe they can set up a special safe place on CL where you can be protected from posters like me.
  • Get flagged all the time treat them as CLasbo's..
  • @Stu_of_Kunming

Do you mean those same moderators who have asked you several times not to use personal insults? Id say it's you wasting their time, not me.

I know I sometimes post similar things, but I don't cry about it when those posts get flagged.
    I have over a hundred flags and never complained about any. I was just intrigued about the motivation for this flag. I seriously, initially, could not understand why you flagged the post.
  • I didn't flag it.

In fairness to her, what she was saying was that she did not realise that politics in Northern Ireland were as polarised as they are, and so different from what she knew as a candidate.

She wasn't claiming that she had known nothing, but that she had not been aware the extent to which many politicians in Northern Ireland do not even seek to persuade those with different opinions, and that to even try is often a waste of time - in contrast to her own experience of seeking to win over voters who may have supported Labour or the Lib Dems.

I'm not trying to say that she is brilliant, or even competent, but she is honest enough to recognise and admit that she was not prepared for the reality of Northern Irish political divisions as expressed at the ballot box (and, IMHO, she is not unique in her lack of prior knowledge).

In fairness to her, what she was saying was that she did not realise that politics in Northern Ireland were as polarised as they are, and so different from what she knew as a candidate.

She wasn't claiming that she had known nothing, but that she had not been aware the extent to which many politicians in Northern Ireland do not even seek to persuade those with different opinions, and that to even try is often a waste of time - in contrast to her own experience of seeking to win over voters who may have supported Labour or the Lib Dems.

I'm not trying to say that she is brilliant, or even competent, but she is honest enough to recognise and admit that she was not prepared for the reality of Northern Irish political divisions as expressed at the ballot box (and, IMHO, she is not unique in her lack of prior knowledge).
    Quite frankly it’s quite an admission that she wasn’t aware of the polarised views and entrenched positions in NI. I would agree with @Red_in_SE8 on this occasion that it seems incredulous that any British politician, particularly one seeking office of state could be so ignorant.

It’s pretty obvious though that her situation is not unique within the government on a range of issues where a detailed knowledge of the brief is sadly lacking.

• Get flagged all the time treat them as CLasbo's..

Bloody hell...another one from Ormiston...shocked.
  • Sponsored links:

Quite frankly it’s quite an admission that she wasn’t aware of the polarised views and entrenched positions in NI. I would agree with @Red_in_SE8 on this occasion that it seems incredulous that any British politician, particularly one seeking office of state could be so ignorant.

It’s pretty obvious though that her situation is not unique within the government on a range of issues where a detailed knowledge of the brief is sadly lacking.

For what it's worth, I don't believe that many other Secretaries of State or direct rule Ministers/Junior Ministers have been anything other than blithely unaware of the detail of political life here prior to appointment - if for no other reason than that it wasn't something that they had to concern themselves with until being appointed.

There are significant numbers of voters in Northern Ireland who vote for either Sinn Fein or the DUP who, in the rest of the UK would not gravitate to the extreme edge of the political spectrum. There is not the same fluidity of voting intentions in the middle ground, even amongst those middle class/professional groups that might be believed to be willing to compromise.
  • edited September 2018

For what it's worth, I don't believe that many other Secretaries of State or direct rule Ministers/Junior Ministers have been anything other than blithely unaware of the detail of political life here prior to appointment - if for no other reason than that it wasn't something that they had to concern themselves with until being appointed.

There are significant numbers of voters in Northern Ireland who vote for either Sinn Fein or the DUP who, in the rest of the UK would not gravitate to the extreme edge of the political spectrum. There is not the same fluidity of voting intentions in the middle ground, even amongst those middle class/professional groups that might be believed to be willing to compromise.
    I’m assuming that as part of the “coalition” she (Bradley) would have had the pleasure of doing business with the DUP ? I would have thought that even the most peripheral involvement would have been enough to make her think that NI politics is not quite the same as those found in Maidenhead South or wherever.

What is of interest is that it has been announced that she is "blocking" N.Ireland assembly elections for fear of triggering the GFA provision for a referendum on reunification. This is escalating into a crisis and has obviously been the Sinn Fein agenda all along.

And to add to the controversy there are polls all over the place on the reunification question and no reliable benchmark whatsoever. Some will push on what they think is an open door but then find it blocked...

Well done Cameron and Farage!

I’m assuming that as part of the “coalition” she (Bradley) would have had the pleasure of doing business with the DUP ? I would have thought that even the most peripheral involvement would have been enough to make her think that NI politics is not quite the same as those found in Maidenhead South or wherever.

I have no doubt that she was fully aware that the political environment of, and the type of politicians representing, Northern Ireland differ from England and Wales, but, reading her comments, it seems clear to me that she was making the point that Northern Ireland doesn't have the same possibility of floating voters that can be enticed across the boundary, so that the Unionist and Nationalist parties are effectively only targeting other Unionist and Nationalist party voters: she was making clear that unlike centrist Labour or Conservative voters, who might be tempted to vote across the divide, no such possibility really exists in Northern Ireland (if it did, the Alliance Party would probably be much stronger).

What her admission highlights, however, is that, for all the talk of "shy Unionists" among the Catholic middle class, political support at local, Assembly and General Elections would support the continuing use of a crude sectarian headcount as a barometer for political support here. So, while polling has often suggested that the "shy Unionists" would not support dissolution of the Union, it may not mean that they would vote to retain the Union, should there be a border poll, particularly because the campaigning (just as, for the most part, the Brexit divisions have) would be likely to retreat back into sectarian (dis)comfort zones.
  • I think you might be giving her too much credit.

What is of interest is that it has been announced that she is "blocking" N.Ireland assembly elections for fear of triggering the GFA provision for a referendum on reunification. This is escalating into a crisis and has obviously been the Sinn Fein agenda all along.

And to add to the controversy there are polls all over the place on the reunification question and no reliable benchmark whatsoever. Some will push on what they think is an open door but then find it blocked...

Well done Cameron and Farage!
    To be quite honest, there's no point in calling Assembly elections because, unless something dramatic happens, the result would be simple restating of the current situation and would solidify the current impasse. I accept that it is what should be done under the GFA (but then, so are regular meetings of the inter-governmental conference), but it would just be a waste of money and would be doing something, just to be seen to be doing something.

Now, if it actually looked as if Sinn Fein would gain more seats than the DUP, there might be a return to Stormont, but, as the Electoral Commission appears to have taken on board DUP (and only DUP) objections when discussing redrawing electoral boundaries in Northern Ireland, perhaps Mrs Foster is playing a longer game.

There is a perfect storm developing in Northern Ireland, which could seriously undermine the political settlement here, there doesn't appear to be any chance of anything actually happening to improve matters (the best we can hope for is that nothing will happen to make things worse).
  • I think you might be giving her too much credit.

I'm definitely not suggesting that she is either effective or competent. Just that her published statements are not a demonstration of particular ignorance or stupidity.
  • Great to see your support for a middle class Cambridge graduate who worked and fought for Robert Maxwell.

Great to see yours for government that is engaged in killing it's own people TODAY.
    Where?
    #FakeAlgarvenotnews

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/number-of-homeless-people-dying-more-than-doubles-in-five-years-figures-show-a8298981.html

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/aug/27/thousands-died-after-fit-for-work-assessment-dwp-figures

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/tory-austerity-deaths-study-report-people-die-social-care-government-policy-a8057306.html

If only 10% is true, that's still 12'000 people too many being killed by government policy, now.

No.
    Do keep up.
    You accused me of supporting the Tories.
    I'll say it again.
    Where?
    #fakelies
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!