Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The influence of the EU on Britain.

Comments

• Options
    I cant see how ending freedom of movement will make our popululation greater & suggesting that unemployed people wont be able to go abroad to find work when most wont move half way across the country its plain stupid (or more project fear).

As for what you should have voted for ; no idea.....depends how strong your views were on why you wanted to leave the EU.......but I thought it was perfectly clear that leaving the EU meant ending free movement of people. If you didn't like that aspect it might have been better to vote remain.
  • Options

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

No border, no brexit.

May was hinting at a customs union so perhaps that’s not true @""seth plum"
    Only problem of course is that Davis, Mogg et al won’t accept it. Suits the DUP though so it could come to a very close vote if the rest of what’s on the table satisfies Labours six tests.

Personally I now think David Davis will be PM before the end of March. That way the Tories survive because they won’t under any circumstances call a general election.

Until the extreme brexiteers say a customs union is not brexit.
    If David Davis ends up in charge perhaps he will magic up the easiest trade deal ever as he promised.
    Incidentally regarding the land border in Ireland, Davis has lined up firmly behind the non existent, and unworkable 'technological' solution, dressed up with these ridiculous 'trusted trader' ideas, and local exemptions. That all translates into Davis has no solution to the Irish border question.
    Well, seeing as staying in THE Customs Union means keeping freedom of trade & movement of people then I would have to agree that its not Brexit.

its not that hard to understand is it.
    Everybody knows the real brexit is blue faces and white passports.
    Have I got that right?
  • Options

Southbank said:

seth plum said:

I fail to see how the sociological make up of over half a million people can be judged by the observations of cynical journalists, or anybody else either feeling positive or negative about the crowd.
    It was a lot of people after all.

Just wondering if anybody cares what the working class might think, especially you pro Corbyn class warriors. They do not seem to have been on the demo. But please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
    That is complete rubbish - all classes were at the demo. There you go - corrected. I would say it was shy of thick, ignorant people but I think it is insulting if some are trying to say those sort of people are the working class.
    But it isn't insulting to say those not on the march are thick and ignorant?
    Which wasn't a criteria for not going on the march and not what I said. I'm sure the vast majority of people who did not go on the march were not thick and ignorant. The point is simple enough - how can people tell if somebody is from a working class background or not without speaking to them? And it isn't easy to speak to 700k people and know what class they represent. Actually, it is impossible. It is insulting and ignorant to suggest so.
    I

Southbank said:

seth plum said:

I fail to see how the sociological make up of over half a million people can be judged by the observations of cynical journalists, or anybody else either feeling positive or negative about the crowd.

Just wondering if anybody cares what the working class might think, especially you pro Corbyn class warriors. They do not seem to have been on the demo. But please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
    That is complete rubbish - all classes were at the demo. There you go - corrected. I would say it was shy of thick, ignorant people but I think it is insulting if some are trying to say those sort of people are the working class.
    Which wasn't a criteria for not going on the march and not what I said. I'm sure the vast majority of people who did not go on the march were not thick and ignorant. The point is simple enough - how can people tell if somebody is from a working class background or not without speaking to them? And it isn't easy to speak to 700k people and know what class they represent. Actually, it is impossible. It is insulting and ignorant to suggest so.
    I have gone back and read your words again and still read it the way I interpreted it, but a am happy to accept that wasn't your intention.

I wasn't on the march but I think it would be silly to think the working classes were not represented by their presence. I don't believe this is necessarily a class issue.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

No border, no brexit.

Only problem of course is that Davis, Mogg et al won’t accept it. Suits the DUP though so it could come to a very close vote if the rest of what’s on the table satisfies Labours six tests.

Personally I now think David Davis will be PM before the end of March. That way the Tories survive because they won’t under any circumstances call a general election.

If David Davis ends up in charge perhaps he will magic up the easiest trade deal ever as he promised.
    Incidentally regarding the land border in Ireland, Davis has lined up firmly behind the non existent, and unworkable 'technological' solution, dressed up with these ridiculous 'trusted trader' ideas, and local exemptions. That all translates into Davis has no solution to the Irish border question.
    Well, seeing as staying in THE Customs Union means keeping freedom of trade & movement of people then I would have to agree that its not Brexit.

Have I got that right?
    The usual racist rubbish from you Seth. Very disappointing that you refuse to grasp this aspect. Tbh I think that this view undermines any legimate objections to Brexit that you might have.
  • Options

Southbank said:

seth plum said:

I

Southbank said:

seth plum said:

I have gone back and read your words again and still read it the way I interpreted it, but a am happy to accept that wasn't your intention.

I wasn't on the march but I think it would be silly to think the working classes were not represented by their presence. I don't believe this is necessarily a class issue.
    I used it as an exageration to highlight how can anybody work out the individual or collective class of 700k people. The point I was making, or trying to make, is what does the working class look like that makes them so easy to identify? The original tweet should have been called out for what it was.
  • Options

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

No border, no brexit.

Have I got that right?
    The usual racist rubbish from you Seth. Very disappointing that you refuse to grasp this aspect. Tbh I think that this view undermines any legimate objections to Brexit that you might have.
    Usual?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

No border, no brexit.

Seems that it is for some... (6th time - have you actually watched it?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xGt3QmRSZY
    I’m pretty sure there’s another YouTube video that shows politicians (probably some of the same ones in the video you posted!) clearly stating that voting leave did mean leaving the SM & CU. Basically no one really knew what the future relationship would be with the EU if we voted to leave, which is why we’re in the mess that we are but it also creates the opportunity for people to define Brexit in terms of what they personally think it should mean meaning we probably have 65M versions of what the result of the vote should mean.

Contrast this with a sensible nation like Ireland who recently held an important referendum where the terms of a vote one way or other were clearly defined and agreed upon before the referendum so there could be very little room for the silliness we’ve seen in our country after the referendum result was known.
    That's kind of the point I am making SE9. They said whatever it took to get their way, depending on who they were talking to. People who had already made up their mind to vote leave, because of forty years of (mostly right wing) press hostility to the Common Market/EEC/EU being drip-fed into their lives, just heard what they wanted to hear...

This is an interesting insight into what the future may bring in the WTO "utopia", from what is (as far as I am aware) a fairly neutral source.

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2018-10-17/how-tiny-moldova-s-brexit-grudge-could-cost-u-k-1-7-trillion?fbclid=IwAR0YqkMJ7CeZHknisknLZouBOsSqyC1bh3tkUDRapgXvT2zBHDhIs2V-NAc
  • Options

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

No border, no brexit.

Have I got that right?
    Freedom of movement has meant that pressure to decrease immigration has led to various visa categories (Tier 1 HSMP visa being one example) being abolished. 90% of HSMP applicants were Indian.

Given that casually throwing around racism accusations seems acceptable, is it possible that you, I and the rest of our fellow remain voters look closer to home? We've voted to stay part of an elite club that leads to the discrimination of non-Europeans and seem quite happy to boast about it.
    Tier 2 points based works just as well.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    bobmunro said:

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

No border, no brexit.

Have I got that right?
    Freedom of movement has meant that pressure to decrease immigration has led to various visa categories (Tier 1 HSMP visa being one example) being abolished. 90% of HSMP applicants were Indian.

Given that casually throwing around racism accusations seems acceptable, is it possible that you, I and the rest of our fellow remain voters look closer to home? We've voted to stay part of an elite club that leads to the discrimination of non-Europeans and seem quite happy to boast about it.
    For whom?
  • Options

bobmunro said:

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

No border, no brexit.

Have I got that right?

For whom?
    Highly skilled non-EU migrants.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

No border, no brexit.

Have I got that right?

For whom?
    Highly skilled non-EU migrants.
    I can't see how a Tier 2 Visa, which has a dependency on a CoS from an employer, works as 'well' as an independent Tier 1 visa that assess the skills the person can bring to the UK economy and gives them unrestricted access to the UK job market?

Just a few examples of why I disagree:

- for a company to offer sponsorship, regardless of candidate points, the position needs to be advertised in at least two places to the UK labour market for a minimum of 30 days to give those eligible to work in the UK without restriction the chance to apply (unless it's an intra-company transfer of the applicant has a Tier 4 visa).

- If the Highly Skilled person want's to change jobs, they are restricted to employers who have a Home Office CoS and have followed the above guidelines. The do not have unrestricted access to the UK job market as a result.

- In the event of employment termination (redundancy or otherwise) the person has a limited timeframe to find a new sponsor (again regardless of points) or they are deported.

- Most Tier 2 visa holders will say themselves that they face extreme prejudice in the UK job market, with most recruiters and employers not even willing to consider applications from them given the admin, time and cost association.

To be fair, I hate the term 'highly-skilled'. I strongly believe that If / When we leave the EU and have 'control' (whatever that is) the term should be changed to 'Critical Workers' to cover all of the skills we will need in the UK moving forward and the old style Tier 1 visas should be re-introduced.
  • Options

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

No border, no brexit.

Don’t forget that The Chequers plan had something called the common rule book. A customs union of sorts but one that the EU couldn’t agree to. Perhaps that’s where movement has happened. Similar with Labours “A” customs union.

@MuttleyCAFC

Regardless the Brexit loons won’t like it. For what it’s worth I think the loonies are seeing their Brexit slipping away. Having May replaced at some strategic point over the next few months with Davis would put that back on track. I still think she be done for before the end of March.

• Options

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

No border, no brexit.

Don’t forget that The Chequers plan had something called the common rule book. A customs union of sorts but one that the EU couldn’t agree to. Perhaps that’s where movement has happened. Similar with Labours “A” customs union.

@MuttleyCAFC

Regardless the Brexit loons won’t like it. For what it’s worth I think the loonies are seeing their Brexit slipping away. Having May replaced at some strategic point over the next few months with Davis would put that back on track. I still think she be done for before the end of March.

Et tu, Brute Boris?
  • Options
    Remember all that Project Fear talk about Brits needing visas to travel in the EU.

Yesterday before heading home to Prague, I attended a discussion hosted by the New Europeans group. This guy ( a professor, at one of the London Unis) repeated what he tweets here.

There are several Lifers currently resident in France. Someone tip off Ibborg, since he doesn't seem to appreciate it when I drag him back to this thread, as he sees it...

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    McBobbin said:
    I could be wrong but I am sure I read somewhere that the Europesn Central Bank stops ‘supporting’ Italy at the end of this year.

This has been a while coming but was inevitable.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

McBobbin said:
    I could be wrong but I am sure I read somewhere that the Europesn Central Bank stops ‘supporting’ Italy at the end of this year.

You may well be right. I won't profess to knowing anything of the situation, but it's probably something the EU can live without on top of us leaving.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

McBobbin said:

Maybe that was one of the reasons why we'd opted out of the Eurozone years ago
  • Options
    We can all row over to collect our blue passports as they roll off the French production line. It'll be just like Dunkirk!
  • Options

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

No border, no brexit.

Have I got that right?

Great post
  • Options

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

No border, no brexit.

Have I got that right?

Great post
    Certainly was.

What is interesting however is that in the year ending March 2018, there was a net influx of 235k non EU people and 87k from the EU. What I'd really be interested in is the stats on what these people were coming for. I suppose a lot of the non-EU people are students. People still are jumping through hoops to get here, it's not impossible.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

stonemuse said:

McBobbin said:

You may well be right. I won't profess to knowing anything of the situation, but it's probably something the EU can live without on top of us leaving.
    This was it;

“Thus far, the crisis has not turned critical because the European Central Bank has been willing (well not willing exactly, but obliged) to buy Italian bonds to help keep the country and its banking system going. That policy is being wound down and finishes at end 2018, and is in any case unsustainable without a wider reform of the eurozone into a fiscal union, as President Macron proposes.”

• Options
    McBobbin said:

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

No border, no brexit.

Have I got that right?

Great post
    Certainly was.

What is interesting however is that in the year ending March 2018, there was a net influx of 235k non EU people and 87k from the EU. What I'd really be interested in is the stats on what these people were coming for. I suppose a lot of the non-EU people are students. People still are jumping through hoops to get here, it's not impossible.
    From memory, I think that about half the non EU net figure is made up of students. I have never understood why May insists they remain part of the immigration figures and only skew the reality of true immigration IMO.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!