Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The influence of the EU on Britain.

Comments

• Options

Also @PragueAddick and all other people arguing for the centre to come to the rescue what do you think about Nick Clegg going to work for Facebook?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/oct/21/if-youre-on-the-side-of-democracy-why-are-you-going-to-work-for-facebook

This excellent piece by Carole Cadwalladr needs no additional observation from me other than to say that Nick Clegg is the kind of centrist, democrat and Europhile that many on here have been calling to rescue us all from right/left/in/out .

By working for Facebook he has lost any last vestiges of moral authority to lecture the rest of us Leavers or Remainers, I particularly put this to you @PragueAddick because apart from you being a Lib Dem* you above anybody else I know has been warning us on here of the dangers of Facebook and what their true purpose was for some time, I also know that you are a big fan of Carole Cadwalladr as well.

* I voted Lib Dem from 2002 - 2010 too.

Mate, I won't deny that my first reaction to the news was to be completely appalled. I would like to read his piece in the Guardian where he seeks to explain himself, but he will have a job. I promise not to duck this.

Your post re Labour and Brexit is a good one too, though it would sit much better with me if the current Labour leader was a modern social democrat, such as either Milliband, or someone like Andy Burnham. That's because I look for someone who understands and respects the EU project, and why the other 27 are rock solid in the negotiations. Corbyn, you know, thinks the EU is a right wing plot ( as opposed to the Brexit Tories who think it's a soshulist plot). He cannot deliver a decent relationship with the EU for this country. If one of the modernists were leading the party, it would be 8-10 points ahead in the polls. I believe that in your heart, you know that.

• Options

PopIcon said:

PopIcon said:

iainment said:

Southbank said:

Huskaris said:

A bunch of people exercising their democratic right to show their hatred for democracy.

God bless Britain.

Actually this deserves a more serious response.

The key demand of these protesters was a VOTE on the eventual terms of Brexit. A VOTE...

hatred for democracy, you say?

As long as it is a vote on whether the terms should be accepted or not, and not a rerun of the Referendum then I agree.

The referendum instruction was to Leave The EU. There are many ways to do this, May's is not one of them which makes sense. I would love a referendum which said to her, not good enough, try again.

But I also do not think that was what today's demo was about.
    Farage said if he lost 48-52 it wasn't over. Why should it be over if it went his way?

What are the brexiteers afraid of?

A vote on the deal, including a remain option, should settle it one way or another.
    We've already voted to remain. Democracy would be dead in this country if there was a second vote on this.
    Blimey a new twist, when did we vote to remain ?
    What, we lost the leave vote? I must have been sleeping. Can I vote again until I get the answer I want
    I keep hearing Brexit voters telling me they won but they're unable to articulate what Brexit means. The leaders of the Brexit campaign don't even want to get involved with the process because they don't know what they're doing and shirk responsibility.

If you're going to leave something you need to understand what you're doing and how to do so - that certainly isn't the case.

This isn't some stupid childish game where the level of debate is 'we won, you lost so stop arguing'.

I fully get that there was a referendum to leave the EU but can someone on here seriously argue that politicians have a clue how to execute this?

Best not to assume that one voted for brexit. I believe in democracy above everything else.

Leaving the EU isn't like leaving a nightclub.
  • Options
    Convulutedly if Yvette Cooper wasn't married to Ed Balls Labour would probably have a better Brexit position.
    The Labour position may be political, but it is both cowardly and makes no sense.
    However the Tory position is, well you fill in the blanks, but I think it is a position fuelled by latent racism and greed peppered by false nostalgia to make it palatable.
  • Options
    I would like Labour to be led by a pro-Remain MP who also shares Corbyn's commitment to renationalisation and social agenda - I don't think this is a pipe-dream as such MPs may well exist
  • Options
    The Sunday Times are running a live poll on whether there should be a second referendum. Over 5,600 people have voted so far and it is currently 70/30 in favour of a second referendum. I would expect that result if the poll was done on Guardian readers. But, I would have expected Sunday Times and Times readers to be 50/50.
  • Options

The Sunday Times are running a live poll on whether there should be a second referendum. Over 5,600 people have voted so far and it is currently 70/30 in favour of a second referendum. I would expect that result if the poll was done on Guardian readers. But, I would have expected Sunday Times and Times readers to be 50/50.

Also a story saying that the civil service are making the necessary preparations should a second referendum be needed.
  • Options

From those I have spoken to in the last few weeks, 70/30 sounds right.

However, based on the comments I have received, I would still predict only a borderline majority ... it’s just not clear in which way it will go ... and if it is borderline again, is there any real point?
  • Options
    I'm all for a second Referendum, providing the rich Remainers
    ie Gina Miller, Clegg, Sourbury, Geldoff, Campbell, Cable, Delia,
    pay for it!!!!
  • Options
    Chaz Hill said:

Also a story saying that the civil service are making the necessary preparations should a second referendum be needed.
    Interesting ... where was that?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    stonemuse said:

Chaz Hill said:

Sunday Times today.
  • Options

Also @PragueAddick and all other people arguing for the centre to come to the rescue what do you think about Nick Clegg going to work for Facebook?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/oct/21/if-youre-on-the-side-of-democracy-why-are-you-going-to-work-for-facebook

This excellent piece by Carole Cadwalladr needs no additional observation from me other than to say that Nick Clegg is the kind of centrist, democrat and Europhile that many on here have been calling to rescue us all from right/left/in/out .

By working for Facebook he has lost any last vestiges of moral authority to lecture the rest of us Leavers or Remainers, I particularly put this to you @PragueAddick because apart from you being a Lib Dem* you above anybody else I know has been warning us on here of the dangers of Facebook and what their true purpose was for some time, I also know that you are a big fan of Carole Cadwalladr as well.

* I voted Lib Dem from 2002 - 2010 too.

Mate, I won't deny that my first reaction to the news was to be completely appalled. I would like to read his piece in the Guardian where he seeks to explain himself, but he will have a job. I promise not to duck this.

Your post re Labour and Brexit is a good one too, though it would sit much better with me if the current Labour leader was a modern social democrat, such as either Milliband, or someone like Andy Burnham. That's because I look for someone who understands and respects the EU project, and why the other 27 are rock solid in the negotiations. Corbyn, you know, thinks the EU is a right wing plot ( as opposed to the Brexit Tories who think it's a soshulist plot). He cannot deliver a decent relationship with the EU for this country. If one of the modernists were leading the party, it would be 8-10 points ahead in the polls. I believe that in your heart, you know that.

I can't really disagree with most of that but would refer you to Leuth's comment about wanting a Soshulist leader who also is passionate about the EU. In the absence of anybody else Corbyn will have to do as the closest 'I' can get. I will point out that Ed Milliband was creamed in the polls, David is not really the answer whilst I have a lot of time for Andy Burnham and would have voted for him in a leadership election (an election he was thrashed in) although I am aware he comes across as a bit uninspiring.

Would I would add, and it is something I have confessed to on numerous occasions, is that perhaps through hope or naivety I don't think we are at the end game with Corbyn/Labour and Brexit. If we stay in the EU or even get to a point of a far less damaging Brexit than a lot of us expect to see, would we not see that as a success?
  • Options
    Chaz Hill said:

stonemuse said:

Chaz Hill said:

Sunday Times today.
    Thanks
  • Options
    edited October 2018

Aren’t The Times and Sunday Times two very different newspapers though ?
    Two different editors.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Leuth said:

I would like Labour to be led by a pro-Remain MP who also shares Corbyn's commitment to renationalisation and social agenda - I don't think this is a pipe-dream as such MPs may well exist

I think Corbyn's own account of being 70 - 75% in favour of the EU in the interview in the link below is an honest account of where he stands (he has also said that he would vote remain again if there were another referendum - something that Theresa May refused to answer):

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36506163/corbyn-i-m-seven-out-of-10-on-eu

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/oct/12/jeremy-corbyn-says-would-vote-remain-second-eu-referendum

I also think that in the 2016 referendum and now a politician who says they have reservations about the EU but nonetheless believe that ordinary people would be better off if the UK remains an EU member was and is in a better position to win over the many millions who voted for and still support Brexit than an uncritical europhile.

Although there has been movement in opinion polls in both directions since the 2016 vote opinion remains volatile and could 'bite the bum' of those supporting a 2nd referendum if any 2nd vote is poorly handled (Theresa May discovered how volatile opinion can be in her disastrous 2017 General Election):

https://whatukthinks.org/eu/questions/if-a-second-eu-referendum-were-held-today-how-would-you-vote/
  • Options
    I reckon a quite plausible scenario is that the UK does Leave, though with no deal, then in about ten years or so a referendum is held to join again, which is a Yes vote. Despite some Brexiters suggesting the EU is on the verge of collapse, this is clearly not true and it will hopefully will go through some reform in the next years. I think it's unlikely the generation of the late 2020s will want to be isolated from Europe and will feel quite bitter if the 2016 vote leads to needless economic problems. Question is whether the UK would obliged to join the Euro if it rejoined though.
  • Options

I reckon a quite plausible scenario is that the UK does Leave, though with no deal, then in about ten years or so a referendum is held to join again, which is a Yes vote. Despite some Brexiters suggesting the EU is on the verge of collapse, this is clearly not true and it will hopefully will go through some reform in the next years. I think it's unlikely the generation of the late 2020s will want to be isolated from Europe and will feel quite bitter if the 2016 vote leads to needless economic problems. Question is whether the UK would obliged to join the Euro if it rejoined though.

I would agree with this, although I would guess at nearer five years than ten.

• Options
    Three things are clear.
    1) Whatever happens on 29th March, the majority of the country will not be happy.
    2) Any deal going through parliament is unlikely to be passed.
    3) The only 2nd referendum with a hope of a leave vote will be one with the simplistic 50/50 choice from last time with no built in margins like 55%. And the Tories wouldnt be so stupid to do that again. Would they?

My money is on no deal chaos.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great post.
  • Options
    Cheers, Stonemuse - very interesting. The quality of discussion has really gone up again lately on here and it makes for fascinating reading. Thanks to the moderators for guiding it into sensible territory again after some silliness. Must be hard work moderating this with so many heated views, but credit to them for steering it into polite and thoughtful conversation again.
  • Options

Cheers, Stonemuse - very interesting. The quality of discussion has really gone up again lately on here and it makes for fascinating reading. Thanks to the moderators for guiding it into sensible territory again after some silliness. Must be hard work moderating this with so many heated views, but credit to them for steering it into polite and thoughtful conversation again.

The New Statesman article complements my desired approach as outlined in my post of 9 October:

“The way forward is a ‘multi-speed’ Europe with each member country free to implement its own trade policy, as is the case with all other Free Trade Areas. We do not need to be, nor should we be, a core member of the EU – but we also do not necessarily have to be on the outside, looking in. We just need to choose which of the ‘concentric circles’ we wish to be part of – provided the EU has the will and tenacity to build the ‘circles’. I am sure that many countries in Europe would welcome such an approach. The ‘inner circle’ can keep moving towards deeper economic and monetary integration – as Macron proposes.”
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

The New Statesman article complements my desired approach as outlined in my post of 9 October:

“The way forward is a ‘multi-speed’ Europe with each member country free to implement its own trade policy, as is the case with all other Free Trade Areas. We do not need to be, nor should we be, a core member of the EU – but we also do not necessarily have to be on the outside, looking in. We just need to choose which of the ‘concentric circles’ we wish to be part of – provided the EU has the will and tenacity to build the ‘circles’. I am sure that many countries in Europe would welcome such an approach. The ‘inner circle’ can keep moving towards deeper economic and monetary integration – as Macron proposes.”
    Negotiation - Bargaining (give and take) process between two or more parties (each with its own aims, needs, and viewpoints) seeking to discover a common ground and reach an agreement to settle a matter of mutual concern or resolve a conflict.

Unfortunately, UK politicians have proved themselves totally inept to handle any negotiations, only looking out for their personal agendas. On the other side, the EU has also not ‘negotitiated’ and approached the topic with an incalcitrant attitude.

Such a pity when so many in the EU and the European Parliament support a multi-track approach ... this entire issue could have been handled positively, benefiting both sides, as well as other countries as mentioned in the New Statesman article.

Has the opportunity now been lost? Not according to the Chief Economist of Deutsche Bank (refer previous posting) ... we shall see in the coming months.
  • Options
    Stig said:

PopIcon said:

PopIcon said:

PopIcon said:

iainment said:

Southbank said:

Huskaris said:

A bunch of people exercising their democratic right to show their hatred for democracy.

God bless Britain.

The key demand of these protesters was a VOTE on the eventual terms of Brexit. A VOTE...

As long as it is a vote on whether the terms should be accepted or not, and not a rerun of the Referendum then I agree.

The referendum instruction was to Leave The EU. There are many ways to do this, May's is not one of them which makes sense. I would love a referendum which said to her, not good enough, try again.

Farage said if he lost 48-52 it wasn't over. Why should it be over if it went his way?

A vote on the deal, including a remain option, should settle it one way or another.
    We've already voted to remain. Democracy would be dead in this country if there was a second vote on this.
    What, we lost the leave vote? I must have been sleeping. Can I vote again until I get the answer I want
    I keep hearing Brexit voters telling me they won but they're unable to articulate what Brexit means. The leaders of the Brexit campaign don't even want to get involved with the process because they don't know what they're doing and shirk responsibility.

If you're going to leave something you need to understand what you're doing and how to do so - that certainly isn't the case.

This isn't some stupid childish game where the level of debate is 'we won, you lost so stop arguing'.

I fully get that there was a referendum to leave the EU but can someone on here seriously argue that politicians have a clue how to execute this?

Best not to assume that one voted for brexit. I believe in democracy above everything else.

What? You mean that we can't just have our hand stamped an go back in again! All the more reason to ensure that we get this absolutely right or not do it at all.

You believe in democracy, I believe in democracy, we all believe in democracy. The trouble is there are different views on what democracy is. To some it is nothing more, nothing less than one person one vote. That's it! That's democracy in a nutshell. We all had a chance to vote nothing else can happen now other to follow through on that decision.

For me though, there is so much more to democracy than this:
    - Democracy assumes having an informed populace: We never had this. Many people didn't have a clue what they were voting for, and many still don't. Not the fault of the individuals as they had been systematically lied to for years.
    - Democracy assumes doing this for the right reasons: The referendum wasn't held for the benefit of the country or it's people. The referendum was designed as a way of silencing Eurosceptics in the Tory party. It badly backfired.
    - Democracy assumes that only legal instruments are used for decision making purposes. In this case a non-binding referendum has been skewed into the governments whole raison d'être.
    - Democracy assumes that only those items that are workable are put to the electorate. In this case the Irish border hadn't even been considered. No-one had a workable solution, and for all I know nobody has now. Putting such an issue to the electorate without so much as flagging it up as an issue gives the whole process a false legitimacy.
    - Democracy assumes that the questions that are put to the populace are clear and unambiguous. We never had that. The options we had were simply to remain or leave in the EU. There was no mention, for example of the customs union (or even a customs union). People had to guess at what that might mean - and they came to vastly different conclusions.
    - Democracy assumes that people are voting for the right reasons. A large chunk of the Brexit vote came, not from people who genuinely wanted out but from people who saw it as an opportunity to kick the government. There were other underlying factors that should have been sorted before embarking on Brexit, like getting our own house in order first.
    - Democracy assumes that there are certain checks and balances against cocking-up on irreversible decisions. This usually take the form of a 2/3rds majority vote, a second vote, or some other agreed method of ratification. We had none of that.

For anyone who takes a wider view of democracy that one person one vote and, err, that's it, the Brexit referendum was anything but democratic. It was profoundly undemocratic. That's why we can't just plough ahead regardless. After all, leaving the EU isn't like leaving a nightclub.
    Probably the best ever post on CL and I did follow "should I get back in touch with my ex".
  • Options
    Stig said:

PopIcon said:

PopIcon said:

PopIcon said:

iainment said:

Southbank said:

Huskaris said:

God bless Britain.

What? You mean that we can't just have our hand stamped an go back in again! All the more reason to ensure that we get this absolutely right or not do it at all.

You believe in democracy, I believe in democracy, we all believe in democracy. The trouble is there are different views on what democracy is. To some it is nothing more, nothing less than one person one vote. That's it! That's democracy in a nutshell. We all had a chance to vote nothing else can happen now other to follow through on that decision.

For me though, there is so much more to democracy than this:
    - Democracy assumes having an informed populace: We never had this. Many people didn't have a clue what they were voting for, and many still don't. Not the fault of the individuals as they had been systematically lied to for years.
    - Democracy assumes doing this for the right reasons: The referendum wasn't held for the benefit of the country or it's people. The referendum was designed as a way of silencing Eurosceptics in the Tory party. It badly backfired.
    - Democracy assumes that only legal instruments are used for decision making purposes. In this case a non-binding referendum has been skewed into the governments whole raison d'être.
    - Democracy assumes that only those items that are workable are put to the electorate. In this case the Irish border hadn't even been considered. No-one had a workable solution, and for all I know nobody has now. Putting such an issue to the electorate without so much as flagging it up as an issue gives the whole process a false legitimacy.
    - Democracy assumes that the questions that are put to the populace are clear and unambiguous. We never had that. The options we had were simply to remain or leave in the EU. There was no mention, for example of the customs union (or even a customs union). People had to guess at what that might mean - and they came to vastly different conclusions.
    - Democracy assumes that people are voting for the right reasons. A large chunk of the Brexit vote came, not from people who genuinely wanted out but from people who saw it as an opportunity to kick the government. There were other underlying factors that should have been sorted before embarking on Brexit, like getting our own house in order first.
    - Democracy assumes that there are certain checks and balances against cocking-up on irreversible decisions. This usually take the form of a 2/3rds majority vote, a second vote, or some other agreed method of ratification. We had none of that.

For anyone who takes a wider view of democracy that one person one vote and, err, that's it, the Brexit referendum was anything but democratic. It was profoundly undemocratic. That's why we can't just plough ahead regardless. After all, leaving the EU isn't like leaving a nightclub.
    The appropriate balance between representative and direct democracy is both delicate and contested and it can be validly argued that referendums have no place in a properly functioning parliamentary democracy. But if the principle of using referendums in constitutional decision-making is accepted, as it widely is, then we must assess the Brexit referendum by its mode of organisation and the legality of its process. By this measure it is hard not to conclude that the referendum accorded with international standards for direct democracy, that it was conducted in accordance with law and that it was effectively regulated. On this basis I argue that the result is one which citizens should agree to, even if it is not one they agree with. The inevitable, if unpalatable, conclusion is that the outcome was lawfully arrived at and should be faithfully implemented.
    https://ukconstitutionallaw.org/2016/07/25/stephen-tierney-was-the-brexit-referendum-democratic/

On the other hand:
    Successful referendums that are part of a lengthy process, involving public input at various stages, high quality information, and clarity about outcomes, can be pivotal moments which help build support for key decisions about a country’s democracy.
    https://ft.com/content/f8f985cc-8375-11e8-9199-c2a4754b5a0e

• Options
    “And with the UK’s exit drawing ever nearer, the French president has urged his colleagues in Europe’s capitals, and especially in Brussels, to finally take a few steps in the direction of the British, and offer a solution from which all parties could emerge reasonably satisfied.

This seemingly comes as part of an attempt to revive the idea of a ‘multi-speed Europe’. Macron has been in favor of this concept for quite some time, having mentioned it in his Sorbonne speech last year: “Europe is already moving at several speeds, so we should not be afraid to say so and want it.”

Now he has found a new phrase for it, and reportedly wants to present his “concentric circles” at the EU Council Summit, in which a deal with the UK should be agreed upon. The concept of a multi-speed Europe has been discussed for many years, but has really come into focus since the Brexit vote. It was again put on the back-burner after Jean-Claude Juncker’s State of the Union speech last September, where he completely excluded the idea and instead argued for a grand, centralised one-size-fits-all European Union.

Nevertheless, a multi-speed Europe could yet be the solution, not only to the debate on the future of the EU, but also for Brexit. As has often been noted, the ways different member states think of the EU couldn’t be more different, and their visions are often hard, if not impossible, to reconcile. There are some who simply want the EU to be a free-trade area with little cooperation in small areas when absolutely needed, there are others who want more integration in one area, but not others – and others who want exactly the opposite. Then there are the arch-federalists who want to go full steam ahead on their way to one united Europe.

It would truly be a European scheme of voluntary cooperation between individual member states. Emmanuel Macron said so himself last year: “We have to think up a Europe with several formats, go further with those who want to go forward, without being hindered by states that want – and it is their right – to go not as fast or not as far.”

Every state could sign up to those efforts which it likes. There would be a “Core Europe,” which is in favour of integration on the euro, on finance, the economy, migration, and so forth, and then there are other circles – those on the outside of Macron’s “concentric circles,” where states only participate in some areas.

As for Brexit, it would open the possibility for Britain to be one of those outer circles, perhaps creating a completely new one. This does not mean that the UK would have to be a member of the EU – neither is Switzerland, while it is still part of a European trading structure. It opens the door, however, for a new kind of partnership, for this “unprecedented deal” which EU Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier talked about recently. Because the structure of the EU itself wouldn’t be so strict anymore, new ideas and ways of cooperation could be thought up and introduced.

Some have argued that a multi-speed Europe is “too complex,” and not realisable. But we need to remind ourselves that such a complex structure already exists: there is the Eurozone, the non-euro EU member states, EEA, EFTA, the Council of Europe, Schengen, and the Customs Union, all including different states. A Europe a la Carte, as the multi-speed idea is also sometimes called, would merely institutionalise this structure, and make differences in integration common practice, adding much-needed flexibility on the European level.“

https://capx.co/macrons-concentric-circles-could-be-a-solution-for-the-eu-and-for-brexit/
  • Options
    However, it cannot be assumed that concentric circles will always work ... as exemplified by Dante’s “Inferno”, the 14th century epic poem, where Hell is nine concentric circles of torment located within the earth.

:wink:
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!