Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The influence of the EU on Britain.

Comments

• Options
    I'm confident the whole thing will be called off one way or another and we will remain.
  • Options
    Is there a chance, that as a Remainer, May has played all of these cards exactly how she wanted to force a situation (and at the same time, orchestrating her own downfall) where we stay in the EU.

Or is that giving her too much credit?
  • Options
    WSS said:

Is there a chance, that as a Remainer, May has played all of these cards exactly how she wanted to force a situation (and at the same time, orchestrating her own downfall) where we stay in the EU.

Yeah I really don’t think that’s possible, there’s too many people that are Brexiteers (her former Brexit securities for instance) that would need to be involved in that plot who would definitely have outed her to make that a viable conspiracy theory.
  • Options
    Think it’s now fairly obvious that the WA will fall. Given that Labour will almost certainly call a vote of no confidence which I initially thought they would lose it would seem possible that the DUP might welcome a general election. They have certainly hinted as much.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

Think it’s now fairly obvious that the WA will fall. Given that Labour will almost certainly call a vote of no confidence which I initially thought they would lose it would seem possible that the DUP might welcome a general election. They have certainly hinted as much.

May couldn’t have screwed over the DUP any more if she had tried, they will skewer her at any opportunity they have. Wouldn’t it be delicious if the DUP, who essentially got her in to power we’re the ones who took her down.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

May couldn’t have screwed over the DUP any more of she had tried, they will skewer her at any opportunity they have. Wouldn’t it be delicious if the DUP, who essentially got her in to power we’re the ones who took her down.
    King Maker to King Breaker in 18 months.
  • Options
    WSS said:

Careful now. That's dangerously close to the loony theory that Remainers have been conspiring to secretly derail Brexit from the start and whilst there is zero evidence for this it does get the ruddy faced Brexiteers frothing.
  • Options
    WSS said:

I said that about 50 pages ago. I definitely, think there's an element of this.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

HOW IS THAT DEMOCRATIC. We voted last year to have the tories in a minority government, GET OVER IT.
    You do understand what’s at play here ? If the vote falls next week it’s perfectly appropriate that the opposition calls a vote of no confidence. They can in fact call one at any point. Labour would dearly love a general election and the rules allow them to take this approach in order to try to force one. They do of course have to win that vote in order for anything to happen. The usual state of things means that a government with a majority would defeat the no confidence vote. However. As the DUP are the difference in their “support” arrangement with the government should they decide that they as @se9addick has suggested think May has shafted them and consequently decide to vote with the opposition parties.

It’s democratic. It’s legal and it’s part of the rules of the House. GET OVER IT

• Options
    WSS said:

Probably not, but, there is a possibility that it’s no coincidence that the latest Grieve amendment went through whereas he was persuaded to soften a controversial proposed amendment earlier in the year.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Other than getting Labour into power, I fail to see what the point of a GE is and why Labour are so keen on it. Labour’s position (their six tests) is broadly the same as the governments, particularly as it includes ending free movement (which presumably means no Single Market or Norway deal) and leaving the customs union for a customs union.

For me, the better options are Norway or a second referendum.
  • Options

HOW IS THAT DEMOCRATIC. We voted last year to have the tories in a minority government, GET OVER IT.
    You do understand what’s at play here ? If the vote falls next week it’s perfectly appropriate that the opposition calls a vote of no confidence. They can in fact call one at any point. Labour would dearly love a general election and the rules allow them to take this approach in order to try to force one. They do of course have to win that vote in order for anything to happen. The usual state of things means that a government with a majority would defeat the no confidence vote. However. As the DUP are the difference in their “support” arrangement with the government should they decide that they as @se9addick has suggested think May has shafted them and consequently decide to vote with the opposition parties.

It’s democratic. It’s legal and it’s part of the rules of the House. GET OVER IT

If there's a general election, i really will question whether we live in a democratic country anymore....
    What an oxymoronic thing to say!
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Other than getting Labour into power, I fail to see what the point of a GE is and why Labour are so keen on it. Labour’s position (their six tests) is broadly the same as the governments, particularly as it includes ending free movement (which presumably means no Single Market or Norway deal) and leaving the customs union for a customs union.

Norway deal means accepting free movement, annual payments and in addition membership of the Customs Union.

Can’t see it being accepted.

• Options

se9addick said:

Norway deal means accepting free movement, annual payments and in addition membership of the Customs Union.

I actually think it’s the most likely outcome, but still well under a 50% chance of happening (if that makes any sense?).
  • Options

se9addick said:

If there's a general election, i really will question whether we live in a democratic country anymore....
    What an oxymoronic thing to say!
    Good whooshing. Poe's Law strikes again. As the Brexit case becomes more and more ridiculous it is becoming legitimately impossible to differentiate legitimate pro-Brexit posts from the parodies, such is the farce this has descended into.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:

se9addick said:

I actually think it’s the most likely outcome, but still well under a 50% chance of happening (if that makes any sense?).
    I think it’s possible under a Labour government because despite their rhetoric that they could deliver a deal their options are very restricted. However. They need for the WA to fall. Win a vote of no confidence and then a general election.

I don’t see Norway under this government.

• Options

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

I think it’s possible under a Labour government because despite their rhetoric that they could deliver a deal their options are very restricted. However. They need for the WA to fall. Win a vote of no confidence and then a general election.

Personally i want a Norway +++ deal, in which we can veto rubbish laws bought through the EU and be able to trade freely with other EU nations. Who's with me?
  • Options

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

Personally i want a Norway +++ deal, in which we can veto rubbish laws bought through the EU and be able to trade freely with other EU nations. Who's with me?
    I know 27 that are not.

• Options
    se9addick said:

se9addick said:

My take on the likely outcomes in order of probability:

- Extension of Article 50 to allow further (likely futile) negotiations
    - Second referendum - result we stay in
    - EEA - I can see that happening but makes absolutely zero sense over staying in the EU
    - May's deal
    - No deal (no chance)

A forced General Election via a no confidence vote or a commons vote to hold a second referendum would trigger the first one.

• Options

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

I like this. Blue passports, though, so the people know we've left
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

- EEA - I can see that happening but makes absolutely zero sense over staying in the EU
    - May's deal
    - No deal (no chance)

A forced General Election via a no confidence vote or a commons vote to hold a second referendum would trigger the first one.

Wouldn’t EEA require every EU country and every member of the EEA to agree ? That would take quite a lot of time and not an easy and quick option.

• Options

bobmunro said:

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

- May's deal
    - No deal (no chance)

Wouldn’t EEA require every EU country and every member of the EEA to agree ? That would take quite a lot of time and not an easy and quick option.

It would likely require the first option as a prerequisite.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

- May's deal
    - No deal (no chance)

It would likely require the first option as a prerequisite.
    The other problem is that it is now enshrined in U.K. law that we leave the EU on 29th March. For any other option to happen we need a new law.

• Options

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

I know 27 that are not.

Well, good thing is i'm so good at negotiating this Norway +++ deal that it's what we've already got.

Thank you, thank you. I'll take my knighthood and ride off into the sunset.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!