Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

FIFA 18 (The computer game)

Comments

• JiMMy 85 said:

sam3110 said:

agim said:

Do Charlton have the proper kits and ground yet?

The Valley won't be in the game unless we get to the Premier League
    I first played a footy video game in 1984. 33 years later, I still haven't seen The Valley on a video game. And I fear I never will.

The EFL is not a priority, which is understandable, but I'd pay extra to have our ground in the game!
    Does that mean your username/ persona is incorrect Jimmy. so you played before you were born? impressive lol

We just have to wait until we get to Premiership so might be a while yet ;)
    :angry: Premier League
  • Ross said:

There is a massive thread on the official FIFA forums about authenticity and the amount of things consistently overlooked.

For example, with regards to stadia, St James Park has had a massive gap between the pitch and the stands which has never been there, Anfield is still missing the new main stand, and Watford nor Stoke have the new parts of their stands added. For a company which is selling the authentic experience, and as an official PL partner, they really aren't living up to that promise.

It can't be hard to add new stadia seeing as they added a whole load of new ones when they did the PL authenticity a couple of years ago. However, this year they've actually lost stadia due to PES and their licenses. They need to refresh the generic stadia, or at least add new ones. They're all very stale now. A stadium creator can't be that hard to add in this day and age.

Then there are other things like the total disregard for career mode for the last 5 years (fixture congestion, the inability to create a manager when they've been doing it for players for Pro Clubs for years, AI team selection and transfers being very poor and predictable, can't upgrade stadia when promoted (which you could do back in 06/07/08), sleeve badges/shirt printing not changing when you are promoted/relegated (simple to do if these are made a separate graphics file from the kits), money not rolling over from previous seasons when you win the league, youth players being annoyed that you don't play them (even though they're 16 and have only just been promoted to the first team) no way to see stats from other leagues or seasons such as top goal scorers etc., unrealistic objectives......I could go on!), and the repetitive commentary from Martin Tyler and Alan Smith that is the same as 5 years ago.

All EA Sports do it bask in the glory of all of the money that they make from Ultimate Team, and roll out the same game year in year out with small cosmetic tweaks and apparent gameplay tweaks which you don't even notice, when a lot of the issues that are being raised are the same issues that have been raised for the past 5/6/7 years which could be easily fixed. The thing is they don't listen to the community on their forums as most of the issues being raised are for game modes which don't make them any money.

That said, I'll still be buying it as I can't stand PES.

Agree with a lot of this.

Didn't realise that they've not updated those PL grounds. Would love to know their excuse for that.
    Because EA are a shithouse of a company.
    They are, but I also think you have to be realistic about how development works. They are committed to annual iterations, which means they have a finite amount of time to get stuff done. I'd imagine development is allotted for various areas of the game each year, and improving gameplay (at least to me) has to take priority over the tweaks to stadia.

As one of the biggest selling franchises in video game history, I would expect more impressive details to be added given the budgets involved... But I also know that when it comes to development, having more dev investment doesn't necessarily help. As an old scrum master used to say to me (probably before he was fired for saying stuff like this): "You can hire 20 extra men, but it won't help my wife get pregnant any faster."
  • JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

sam3110 said:

agim said:

I first played a footy video game in 1984. 33 years later, I still haven't seen The Valley on a video game. And I fear I never will.

The EFL is not a priority, which is understandable, but I'd pay extra to have our ground in the game!
    Does that mean your username/ persona is incorrect Jimmy. so you played before you were born? impressive lol
    Oh hello Lt. Columbo! As it happens, I wasn't born in 85, that was when I attended my first game. EDIT: and this will really blow your mind - my name isn't Jimmy either.
    Oh no i misread that always assumed you were born in 85, eg. would be younger ;) Is it James by any chance :P haha
  • JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

sam3110 said:

agim said:

Oh hello Lt. Columbo! As it happens, I wasn't born in 85, that was when I attended my first game. EDIT: and this will really blow your mind - my name isn't Jimmy either.
    Oh no i misread that always assumed you were born in 85, eg. would be younger ;) Is it James by any chance :P haha
    Nah, JiMMy is a reference to my favourite player of all time - James Milsop Melrose.
  • I never used to play FUT, but i do enjoy it from the beginning starting with Bronze players and building up to a decent team. Still play Career mode more, probably play with my friends most fridays thats always my best a bit of 2 on 2 , i have the handicap of my mate who is unpredictable and not the greatest.

I have just finished 2nd season as Valencia, not sure if i 1st or 2nd first season think i got pipped on last game, this one i won and won the champions league :) Signed Mbappe/Werner up front and Spurs Dembele was a beast in the middle, do like signing the youngsters or people less known.

Normally KO with Career and/or journey then go online once i've had a bit of game time. Haven't ordered mine yet was going to Amazon prime but sold out.

You can get the standard and ronaldo editions on Amazon prime at the moment. Keeps switching between being sold out and available.
    Thanks Leeds Addick, i shall have a look in a bit. If i ordered the Ronaldo edition wont i get it sooner? I am thinking whether its best to pre-order tesco and pick up at midnight but if i can get sooner i will probably do that.
    Ordered my Ronaldo edition today and yeah you're meant to get it earlier on Tuesday.
    I might have to do this then, cheers have to get Mum to order as she has prime account :)
    Tell me 1987 isn't your year of birth :lol::lol::lol:
  • JiMMy 85 said:

sam3110 said:

agim said:

We need this series to make a Charlton special... :wink:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Club_Football
  • JiMMy 85 said:

Ross said:

There is a massive thread on the official FIFA forums about authenticity and the amount of things consistently overlooked.

For example, with regards to stadia, St James Park has had a massive gap between the pitch and the stands which has never been there, Anfield is still missing the new main stand, and Watford nor Stoke have the new parts of their stands added. For a company which is selling the authentic experience, and as an official PL partner, they really aren't living up to that promise.

It can't be hard to add new stadia seeing as they added a whole load of new ones when they did the PL authenticity a couple of years ago. However, this year they've actually lost stadia due to PES and their licenses. They need to refresh the generic stadia, or at least add new ones. They're all very stale now. A stadium creator can't be that hard to add in this day and age.

Then there are other things like the total disregard for career mode for the last 5 years (fixture congestion, the inability to create a manager when they've been doing it for players for Pro Clubs for years, AI team selection and transfers being very poor and predictable, can't upgrade stadia when promoted (which you could do back in 06/07/08), sleeve badges/shirt printing not changing when you are promoted/relegated (simple to do if these are made a separate graphics file from the kits), money not rolling over from previous seasons when you win the league, youth players being annoyed that you don't play them (even though they're 16 and have only just been promoted to the first team) no way to see stats from other leagues or seasons such as top goal scorers etc., unrealistic objectives......I could go on!), and the repetitive commentary from Martin Tyler and Alan Smith that is the same as 5 years ago.

All EA Sports do it bask in the glory of all of the money that they make from Ultimate Team, and roll out the same game year in year out with small cosmetic tweaks and apparent gameplay tweaks which you don't even notice, when a lot of the issues that are being raised are the same issues that have been raised for the past 5/6/7 years which could be easily fixed. The thing is they don't listen to the community on their forums as most of the issues being raised are for game modes which don't make them any money.

Didn't realise that they've not updated those PL grounds. Would love to know their excuse for that.
    They are, but I also think you have to be realistic about how development works. They are committed to annual iterations, which means they have a finite amount of time to get stuff done. I'd imagine development is allotted for various areas of the game each year, and improving gameplay (at least to me) has to take priority over the tweaks to stadia.

As one of the biggest selling franchises in video game history, I would expect more impressive details to be added given the budgets involved... But I also know that when it comes to development, having more dev investment doesn't necessarily help. As an old scrum master used to say to me (probably before he was fired for saying stuff like this): "You can hire 20 extra men, but it won't help my wife get pregnant any faster."
    I appreciate that completely.

However, with the amount of money that is being made by them, and the amount of negativity they get every year over the same things (many of those listed by myself, but I hadn't even gone into the gameplay side of things***), you'd think they would do something about it. Otherwise they might as well take a year out and say 'for £20 you can have a squad and kit update (which is what most people buy it for anyway) and we'll have a greatly improved game the following year.

***EA Sports have said this year that team styles will be more prevalent i.e. we won't see Barnetlona or Real Macclesfield playing playing tiki taka football againast you, but have a more direct approach. However, most people on the forum have said that this doesn't appear to be the case in the real game so far, and that the same bugs still exist (handballs not being given, super keepers on the AI team, the sudden burst of energy and goals that the AI always seem to score just before half time or full time, as if it is being scripted).
  • Ross said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Ross said:

However, with the amount of money that is being made by them, and the amount of negativity they get every year over the same things (many of those listed by myself, but I hadn't even gone into the gameplay side of things***), you'd think they would do something about it. Otherwise they might as well take a year out and say 'for £20 you can have a squad and kit update (which is what most people buy it for anyway) and we'll have a greatly improved game the following year.

***EA Sports have said this year that team styles will be more prevalent i.e. we won't see Barnetlona or Real Macclesfield playing playing tiki taka football againast you, but have a more direct approach. However, most people on the forum have said that this doesn't appear to be the case in the real game so far, and that the same bugs still exist (handballs not being given, super keepers on the AI team, the sudden burst of energy and goals that the AI always seem to score just before half time or full time, as if it is being scripted).
    Not to mention defenders inexplicably turning their backs on unchallenged headers, gifting your brother a last minute extra time winner in one of the most fiercely contested demo games in FIFA history.

Yes. I am bitter. And no, I won't be buying the game until I've got over my sulk.
  • Amazon taking their sweet bloody time delivering today :(
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2017
    Dazzler21 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

sam3110 said:

agim said:

We need this series to make a Charlton special... :wink:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Club_Football
    Oh how I would love for another studio to take a crack at a football video game. I think the licensing is the issue, but I'd happily player a game with entirely fantasy teams/ players if the gameplay and detail was immense.

Also @Ross - I have only played Seasons and Be a Pro, but in the latter, the CPU teams are completely different to last year. Not sure if they have different styles of play, but I've already been on the losing team more in two dozen games than in ten seasons on the last one. Literally - I only lost nine gams in my entire last career!

Edit: and yes, I would love for them to skip a year. Konami used to release ISS whenever it was ready, usually 2-3 years apart. And they made four or five of the best football games ever made, consecutively.

Mines come first thing this morning but working until 6 , so cant play until 7 :'(
  • Dazzler21 said:

I never used to play FUT, but i do enjoy it from the beginning starting with Bronze players and building up to a decent team. Still play Career mode more, probably play with my friends most fridays thats always my best a bit of 2 on 2 , i have the handicap of my mate who is unpredictable and not the greatest.

I have just finished 2nd season as Valencia, not sure if i 1st or 2nd first season think i got pipped on last game, this one i won and won the champions league :) Signed Mbappe/Werner up front and Spurs Dembele was a beast in the middle, do like signing the youngsters or people less known.

Normally KO with Career and/or journey then go online once i've had a bit of game time. Haven't ordered mine yet was going to Amazon prime but sold out.

You can get the standard and ronaldo editions on Amazon prime at the moment. Keeps switching between being sold out and available.
    Thanks Leeds Addick, i shall have a look in a bit. If i ordered the Ronaldo edition wont i get it sooner? I am thinking whether its best to pre-order tesco and pick up at midnight but if i can get sooner i will probably do that.
    Ordered my Ronaldo edition today and yeah you're meant to get it earlier on Tuesday.
    I might have to do this then, cheers have to get Mum to order as she has prime account :)
    Tell me 1987 isn't your year of birth :lol::lol::lol:
    You got me sir and John is my name not Johnny apologise for confusion :) bev short for my name too, i feel awful...

Mines come first thing this morning but working until 6 , so cant play until 7 :'(
    I don't start work for a few weeks so am at home waiting for it. A bit peeved that one of the three extra days has pretty much gone now as I'll be watching champions league and listening to Charlton this evening. I'm well aware that I'm being very childish though so I shouldn't complain really.
  • Ross said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Ross said:

Not to mention defenders inexplicably turning their backs on unchallenged headers, gifting your brother a last minute extra time winner in one of the most fiercely contested demo games in FIFA history.

Yes. I am bitter. And no, I won't be buying the game until I've got over my sulk.
    Hope your brother's bought it for you.
  • I've played maybe three games so far. The game play is definitely much smoother, and so far Walsall have not had the 60% possession and flicks and tricks they would have had last year on default setting.

Regarding some of Ross' critiques, on the one hand they're obviously all valid, on the other I can see why the new stand at the Bet365 didn't quite make it to the top of the list.

I haven't done a lot of game development, but what I have done I can tell you it can be really hard integrating all the moving parts required for such a game. That's not to say they can't do better, they can, it's just to say you can't always just throw bodies at a problem, usually you need some parameters for continuity, change control, testing, all that.

Also, I'm curious to know what their development window is. I suspect it's pretty short. I'd imagine they spend the first maybe two or three months focused on maintenance, then have maybe a six month window for new development to stuff like the game engine, 3D models, etc. before they go into test mode. Also, they must have to add the kits pretty late doors, which is just another in the whole moving parts thing.

Anyway, so far so good except for the fact that we have Matt Carter, Ken Yao, Archie Edwards, and Ashley Maynard-Brewer but no Reeco, George Lapslie, or Aaron Barnes which is annoying.

Happy to have AMB in the game as it's always frustrating in career mode when you only have two Keepers. Only problem is... He's listed at 5'7" and 139lbs. Can't say I've seen him play that much, but he looks a proper big lad, not Iniesta sized. Also they have him down as right footed when he's actually left footed, same with Archie Edwards, and that bothers me far more than it should.
  • edited September 2017
    Oh, one other thing in the game play, I hope they've drastically toned down the number of penalties won with handballs in the box where both players are jumping with their hands strangely over their heads. It was silly how often it happened, and yet crosses or shots that come off the arm of a player are rarely given as penalties. That, and reduced how often players try to control crosses and corners with jumping chest traps instead of heading it.
  • SDAddick said:

I've played maybe three games so far. The game play is definitely much smoother, and so far Walsall have not had the 60% possession and flicks and tricks they would have had last year on default setting.

Regarding some of Ross' critiques, on the one hand they're obviously all valid, on the other I can see why the new stand at the Bet365 didn't quite make it to the top of the list.

I haven't done a lot of game development, but what I have done I can tell you it can be really hard integrating all the moving parts required for such a game. That's not to say they can't do better, they can, it's just to say you can't always just throw bodies at a problem, usually you need some parameters for continuity, change control, testing, all that.

Also, I'm curious to know what their development window is. I suspect it's pretty short. I'd imagine they spend the first maybe two or three months focused on maintenance, then have maybe a six month window for new development to stuff like the game engine, 3D models, etc. before they go into test mode. Also, they must have to add the kits pretty late doors, which is just another in the whole moving parts thing.

Anyway, so far so good except for the fact that we have Matt Carter, Ken Yao, Archie Edwards, and Ashley Maynard-Brewer but no Reeco, George Lapslie, or Aaron Barnes which is annoying.

Happy to have AMB in the game as it's always frustrating in career mode when you only have two Keepers. Only problem is... He's listed at 5'7" and 139lbs. Can't say I've seen him play that much, but he looks a proper big lad, not Iniesta sized. Also they have him down as right footed when he's actually left footed, same with Archie Edwards, and that bothers me far more than it should.

Have the Charlton keeper kits got the sponsorship on? Big pet hate of mine
  • SDAddick said:

I've played maybe three games so far. The game play is definitely much smoother, and so far Walsall have not had the 60% possession and flicks and tricks they would have had last year on default setting.

Glad to hear that AMB is in the game. Surprised Lapslie and Reeco aren’t though as they’ve featured this season already. I remember a few years ago when Konsa and Assiana were in the game, yet no one had heard of either of them at the time. There will probably be a squad update in a few days to include Lapslie and Reeco, but it’ll probably remove AMB!

With regards to the part in bold: again, yes I agree. However, these changes are so minimal and you can hardly notice them when playing it does make you wonder what they do.

They can create 3 new stadiums for the promoted teams in rapid quick time when they’re promoted (or they must at least create 10 in the last month ready in case there’s a few teams in the mix). So it can’t be that hard to slightly alter ones that are already in the game or add a couple of extra ones?
  • Sponsored links:

• agim said:

SDAddick said:

No they don't even have a Hummel goalkeeping kit it's just a green one with a Charlton badge. Looks better than lady year, but only just.
  • agim said:

SDAddick said:

No, its a generic green keeper kit with no branding
  • Ross said:

SDAddick said:

Glad to hear that AMB is in the game. Surprised Lapslie and Reeco aren’t though as they’ve featured this season already. I remember a few years ago when Konsa and Assiana were in the game, yet no one had heard of either of them at the time. There will probably be a squad update in a few days to include Lapslie and Reeco, but it’ll probably remove AMB!

With regards to the part in bold: again, yes I agree. However, these changes are so minimal and you can hardly notice them when playing it does make you wonder what they do.

They can create 3 new stadiums for the promoted teams in rapid quick time when they’re promoted (or they must at least create 10 in the last month ready in case there’s a few teams in the mix). So it can’t be that hard to slightly alter ones that are already in the game or add a couple of extra ones?
    Yeah we've had Terrell Thomas in squads for ages in the past when he was out on loan in non-league, but it took them forever to add Aribo last year. Hopefully we'll get Reeco and Lapslie for Carter and Edwards and someone will make AMB bigger than 5'7" and ten stone.

Regarding your other points, you're probably right about them being small changes, unless it would mean redoing the entire stadium for some reason. But by and large I agree with you, I was kind of playing devil's advocate because again in my very limited experience game development is weird and blows my mind.
  • Signing players is just weird now, with completely pointless office based interactive negotiations. Reminds me of PES Manager (which was way ahead of this, despite being released a decade ago)
  • sam3110 said:

Signing players is just weird now, with completely pointless office based interactive negotiations. Reminds me of PES Manager (which was way ahead of this, despite being released a decade ago)

One of those things that EA have put in as a cool new feature which will soon get boring after the third time of using it.
  • Is this out in shops anywhere yet? I'm off work with my leg in a cast and rapidly going insane!
  • Played a bit of FUT & Journey last night until like 1am, wont really give much feedback until i have played it enough. Quite like the new crossing, just starting to get a bit of form playing LW although says i am out of position far too much for my liking. FUT won first one 4-0, seemed easy next one 2 down 4-2 up then drew 4-4 , final game lost 3-0nil not sure how. Might just leave FUT a bit for the leagues to filter through as will be easier route to the normal division 2/3 :)
  • agim said:

Is this out in shops anywhere yet? I'm off work with my leg in a cast and rapidly going insane!

I think you can play the (Brazilian) ronaldo edition which retails at around 80 quid but you get early access and a loan legend ronaldo for ultimate team iirc
  • On PlayStation/Xbox store obviously
  • Quite like the new crossing, just starting to get a bit of form playing LW although says i am out of position far too much for my liking.

They changed crossing!? I've only just sussed out the last way of doing it!

Also the positioning thing needs an update. It's totally fucked. If you dare to make a run you get hammered for it.