Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Solly

Comments

• Options
    You are all talking b@llocks.
    Of course Mr Solly doesnt have to work again.
    He just needs to set up residence in a place like Albania or Syria.

• Options
    clb74 said:

On the plus side he could watch Saturday matchs on the stream..... 
  • Options
    a quick google suggests is net worth is $1.5m

even if his net worth was 50p it doesn't change the fact he took wages and refused to be available to play whilst under contract, just like parker, taylor, kermongant...
    utter rubbish.
    what is?
  • Options

even if his net worth was 50p it doesn't change the fact he took wages and refused to be available to play whilst under contract, just like parker, taylor, kermongant...
    utter rubbish.
    what is?
    What do you think?
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Or he could move deeper into Kent where houses are cheaper 
  • Options

utter rubbish.
    what is?
    What do you think?
    I think you won’t accept facts about players you still Wank over and until you prove that any of my factual post is “utter rubbish “ don’t bother coming back with your ridiculous claims 
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    I spoke to Chris Solly a few weeks ago at Carshalton in an FA cup match. He wasn't playing and was a sub.

Basically he was ignorant and didn't want to know.
    You should not have addressed him as Judas, you may have got a better response.
    Indeed, think his response was he didn't give a fig about the club and its supporters. 
  • Options
    I see that Valley Gold are holding a Q & A Thursday 17th November with a number of former Academy players present including Chris Solly. It's not difficult to work out what one or two of the questions that some would like to ask him might be!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafctom said:
    buckshee said:
    To even put him in the same bracket as Taylor is laughable frankly. Chris has a young family and knew that due to previous injuries he’d struggle to get a decent contract elsewhere and wanted to protect that. Taylor just wanted to line his own pockets. 

On the other hand Solly has had a long career and is already set-up for life. 

Taylor knew his one big payday was round the corner. 

They're both as bad as each other, least Taylor was honest about his intentions and took the flack. Solly scurried away and apparently went to the PFA and 'settled' for more money. 
    “Solly is set up for life” - and you know this how exactly? The lad is about 30 years old and spent most of his career on League 1 / low-end Championship money.

As for your final sentence, I’d be keen to know where you’ve got that info from. Unless it’s just another one of your assumptions.
    If you're on 2000 a week, that's 104000 a year. 

Solly is not struggling for money and a sensible person would be set up for life with 10 years of wages in the hundreds of thousands a year. 

If he earned 5000 for even one season, that's a quarter of a million pounds. 
    Those figures are before you factor in tax, national insurance and pension. By the time you knock that off you are getting a substantially lower figure. 

I don't doubt Solly was well rewarded for his time here but I think people have a over-inflated view of what players earn over their careers, I just checked and he is only 30 years of age having only had one career in his life, that of a professional footballer. You would assume like the rest of us that whatever career he goes into next he is going to be starting at the bottom of the ladder, and professional footballer sounds great on paper however I doubt there are many industries where it counts for very much in the real world.

If he was sensible then perhaps he's put some money away or made some wise investments but I imagine he isn't going to be living out the rest of his days on a tropical island somewhere, he's going to have to make a living doing something else.
    And also before win bonus, appearance fees, promotion bonus etc
  • Options
    Seems to be doing well and I believe is club captain at Ebbsfleet. 
  • Options
    Ebbsfleet are flying at the moment, still unbeaten after 15 games (12 wins, 3 draws), Solly even scored the other day! Yes captain and coach I believe.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Ebbsfleet are flying at the moment, still unbeaten after 15 games (12 wins, 3 draws), Solly even scored the other day! Yes captain and coach I believe.
    Sits in the middle of the back 3 and acts as a sweeper essentially. He may not have the legs to bomb up and down the side of the pitch any more but he's found a role he can play where he influences the game in other ways
    I'm sure he could have adapted with time to a George Dobson style role in midfield as well.
  • Options
    why?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    hopefully, for Ebbsfleet he can make it the season without breaking a toe nail. One of the worst captains we have ever had

we nursed this guy through an entire career, if he wasn't a football basket case he'd have been off far sooner. and his thanks to us? covid? SEE YA. Fuck that guy

• Options
    sam3110 said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Sits in the middle of the back 3 and acts as a sweeper essentially. He may not have the legs to bomb up and down the side of the pitch any more but he's found a role he can play where he influences the game in other ways
    I'm sure he could have adapted with time to a George Dobson style role in midfield as well.

He didn't have the legs, the last three seasons he played for us tbf...
  • Options
    As I mentioned above, Solly is coming back to the Club and that will be the ideal opportunity for those who hold him responsible to ask him directly what went on.

https://www.castrust.org/2022/11/win-a-ticket-to-hear-solly-and-brownie/
  • Options
    We should also remember that Solly had not been picked for six months by Bowyer and was highly unlikely to have been selected anyway. For the three games he missed when in contract at the end of that season we did not concede a single goal. Solly would not have made one bit of difference and having not played might have cost us points.

It wasn't Solly's fault that we went down but it helped the "siege mentality" that Bowyer wanted to create to tell anyone who wanted to hear that we weren't just missing one player in Taylor but that we had three that had refused to play. 

“Unfortunately for us three of those players have said they’re not going to play, and Lyle is one of them.

“Chris Solly has said the same and Davis is on loan from Birmingham and he’d said he doesn’t want to come back and play games.

So we’re three players down.

It’s just another hurdle. We’ve got another 22 or 23 players who do want to play, and that’s the moment important thing to me now, I have to brush that under the carpet and move on.

“That’s what we’ll do as a football club, we’ll move on without those players and we’ll fight until the end.”

Taylor is a mercenary but a mercenary that Bowyer somehow managed to forgive as he took him on loan at Birmingham. Look at what Bowyer said about him during his time there:

"I think he has been very good since he has been here.

He has given the place a lift and shown the reason why I wanted to bring him in. The goals that he has scored we are seeing it every day in training. He has definitely improved us and made more competition for places.”

But some supporters want a player like Solly, who served us so well for a decade and was unlikely to kick a ball in anger for us again anyway, to be treated far worse than Bowyer ultimately treated Taylor. 

As I mentioned above, Solly is coming back to the Club and that will be the ideal opportunity for those who hold him responsible to ask him directly what went on.

If he wasn’t going to play, then why did he refuse to play? 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    We should also remember that Solly had not been picked for six months by Bowyer and was highly unlikely to have been selected anyway. For the three games he missed when in contract at the end of that season we did not concede a single goal. Solly would not have made one bit of difference and having not played might have cost us points.

It wasn't Solly's fault that we went down but it helped the "siege mentality" that Bowyer wanted to create to tell anyone who wanted to hear that we weren't just missing one player in Taylor but that we had three that had refused to play. 

“Unfortunately for us three of those players have said they’re not going to play, and Lyle is one of them.

“Chris Solly has said the same and Davis is on loan from Birmingham and he’d said he doesn’t want to come back and play games.

It’s just another hurdle. We’ve got another 22 or 23 players who do want to play, and that’s the moment important thing to me now, I have to brush that under the carpet and move on.

“That’s what we’ll do as a football club, we’ll move on without those players and we’ll fight until the end.”

Taylor is a mercenary but a mercenary that Bowyer somehow managed to forgive as he took him on loan at Birmingham. Look at what Bowyer said about him during his time there:

He has given the place a lift and shown the reason why I wanted to bring him in. The goals that he has scored we are seeing it every day in training. He has definitely improved us and made more competition for places.”

But some supporters want a player like Solly, who served us so well for a decade and was unlikely to kick a ball in anger for us again anyway, to be treated far worse than Bowyer ultimately treated Taylor. 

Because Bowyer probably wanted him available "just in case" he was needed. Bowyer had given up on him as a Championship player, not played him since the previous December and Solly wasn't getting another contract. It just served Bowyer's siege mentality agenda by throwing his name into the pot. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:

Because Bowyer probably wanted him available "just in case" he was needed. Bowyer had given up on him as a Championship player, not played him since the previous December and Solly wasn't getting another contract. It just served Bowyer's siege mentality agenda by throwing his name into the pot. 
    I think that’s incredibly generous to Solly. Ultimately he was under contract, I think he was even the club captain (? might have imagined that) and he walked out on his team mates, the club that had given him everything and the fans that had supported him from day one. We’ve been told that eventually we’ll hear his side of the story, I’m willing to wait for that but it better be a bloody good story. 

Completely agree that Taylor had a bigger impact on the pitch, but morally it’s the same. 
    So "morally" was it right for Bowyer to entice Taylor to come to Birmingham given what a big issue it was him refusing to play for us?