Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Solly

Comments

• Options
    Solly for manager.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    cafctom said:
    buckshee said:
    To even put him in the same bracket as Taylor is laughable frankly. Chris has a young family and knew that due to previous injuries he’d struggle to get a decent contract elsewhere and wanted to protect that. Taylor just wanted to line his own pockets. 

On the other hand Solly has had a long career and is already set-up for life. 

Taylor knew his one big payday was round the corner. 

They're both as bad as each other, least Taylor was honest about his intentions and took the flack. Solly scurried away and apparently went to the PFA and 'settled' for more money. 
    “Solly is set up for life” - and you know this how exactly? The lad is about 30 years old and spent most of his career on League 1 / low-end Championship money.

As for your final sentence, I’d be keen to know where you’ve got that info from. Unless it’s just another one of your assumptions.
    If you're on 2000 a week, that's 104000 a year. 

Solly is not struggling for money and a sensible person would be set up for life with 10 years of wages in the hundreds of thousands a year. 

If he earned 5000 for even one season, that's a quarter of a million pounds. 

On the 'thoughts of Solly not playing' thread there's several posts about a dispute going to the PFA. I've not made it up. 
  • Options
    buckshee said:
    To even put him in the same bracket as Taylor is laughable frankly. Chris has a young family and knew that due to previous injuries he’d struggle to get a decent contract elsewhere and wanted to protect that. Taylor just wanted to line his own pockets. 

On the other hand Solly has had a long career and is already set-up for life

They're both as bad as each other, least Taylor was honest about his intentions and took the flack. Solly scurried away and apparently went to the PFA and 'settled' for more money. 
    I'd be amazed if he was...a 30 year old who has played a chunk of his career in the 3rd tier....

• Options
    I spoke to Chris Solly a few weeks ago at Carshalton in an FA cup match. He wasn't playing and was a sub.

Basically he was ignorant and didn't want to know.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    cafctom said:
    buckshee said:

“Solly is set up for life” - and you know this how exactly? The lad is about 30 years old and spent most of his career on League 1 / low-end Championship money.

As for your final sentence, I’d be keen to know where you’ve got that info from. Unless it’s just another one of your assumptions.

Solly is not struggling for money and a sensible person would be set up for life with 10 years of wages in the hundreds of thousands a year. 

Those figures are before you factor in tax, national insurance and pension. By the time you knock that off you are getting a substantially lower figure. 

I don't doubt Solly was well rewarded for his time here but I think people have a over-inflated view of what players earn over their careers, I just checked and he is only 30 years of age having only had one career in his life, that of a professional footballer. You would assume like the rest of us that whatever career he goes into next he is going to be starting at the bottom of the ladder, and professional footballer sounds great on paper however I doubt there are many industries where it counts for very much in the real world.

If he was sensible then perhaps he's put some money away or made some wise investments but I imagine he isn't going to be living out the rest of his days on a tropical island somewhere, he's going to have to make a living doing something else.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2021
    cafctom said:
    buckshee said:

On the 'thoughts of Solly not playing' thread there's several posts about a dispute going to the PFA. I've not made it up. 
    Earning +100k a year for 10 years when you have another 25 years before you can pull down any degree of pension, and another 32 years before you can fully access a pension does not make you set for life by any stretch of the imagination. 
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    cafctom said:
    buckshee said:

Earning +100k a year for 10 years when you have another 25 years before you can pull down any degree of pension, and another 32 years before you can fully access a pension does not make you set for life by any stretch of the imagination. 

He's earned more in 10 years than most fans will earn in a lifetime. 

If he was sensible and made some smart decisions, such as investing, he would not need to have another job again. 

Whether Solly was right or wrong, your appreciation of personal economics is laughable..

I'm not really into the 'feel sorry for him he was thinking about his family' after pocketing over a million pound (at the very least) in the previous number of years. 
  • Options
    Doesn 't matter how much you earn a month out with being a millionaire, your lifestyle is matched accordingly. So he will have savings but not as much people would expect.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    buckshee said:

If he was sensible and made some smart decisions, such as investing, he would not need to have another job again. 

Sorry, but this is complete rubbish. 
    Agreed, even if he averaged £120k per year, so £1.2m gross in 10 years by the time he pays his taxes that's about £700k, if he bought a £450k house that's £250k or £25k a year to live on IF he'd paid his mortgage off..... before any interest of course.

I'm sure he has some savings, and hopefully invested some, but for someone with 35 years to retirement he's a long way from never having to work again.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Rob7Lee said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    buckshee said:

Sorry, but this is complete rubbish. 
    Agreed, even if he averaged £120k per year, so £1.2m gross in 10 years by the time he pays his taxes that's about £700k, if he bought a £450k house that's £250k or £25k a year to live on IF he'd paid his mortgage off..... before any interest of course.

I'm sure he has some savings, and hopefully invested some, but for someone with 35 years to retirement he's a long way from never having to work again.
    I told you. Next manager. Nailed on. Why? Some people have mentioned Terry. He's better than John Terry and that is a fact. Chris Solly Solly. He's only 5 foot 3. He's better than John Terry. And he isn't a twat.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    buckshee said:

This is laughable! you will not be set up for life earning 100k per year for 10 years - I can absolutely promise you that! For a start you have 40% of that taxed.

We can all sit here and claim we’d have done better but he’s 30 YO his earning power greatly diminished and has a young family to provide for. If I was him I’d do anything to protect them and I’m sure many would in that position!
  • Options
    I spoke to Chris Solly a few weeks ago at Carshalton in an FA cup match. He wasn't playing and was a sub.

He’s gone well up in my estimation now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Have a team ever agreed to a deal like that with a player? 

I think Solly didn't fancy it and wanted a free contract extension when he knew we were letting him go. 

Doesn't put him in a good light and after his football wages for 10+ years he was still trying to milk every penny. 
    Football has never been in that position before asking players to play on beyond thrre allotted contracts.

Can anyone honestly say Sollys request was unreasonable  was he asking the club to double his wage or even add to it- no

He just wanted assurances for him and his young family that if he played on and got an injury that rules him out for an extended period so he couldn't get another club immediately that he still had a wage coming in.

I personally have no issue with that
    He was paid for months to sit around and do nothing during covid.

He was asked to come back and put in the work that he missed (and was paid for) during that time. Even offered an extension to his contract to play until the end of the season. 

Solly has weaselled out of it because he wanted a contract extension written in if he came back (if he gets injured). 

He knew it was his last big payday and tried to get as much out of it as possible. 
    The PFA as always failed to take a lead here

Football contracts run until the end of June, not because June is a special month, but because it's there to cover the end of the season. Everything is geared around seasons in football, or half seasons between transfer windows. Imagine if Aneke had stopped playing in mid April last season because he he didn't want to spoil his chances of getting a new contract elsewhere, and the storm it would have created? Or if Purrington does the same next April?

Thus, all players should have been told to play on until the season actually finished. Which means July. AND all clubs told to pay all players for the extra month, whether they were going to play or not.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    buckshee said:

Those figures are before you factor in tax, national insurance and pension. By the time you knock that off you are getting a substantially lower figure. 

I don't doubt Solly was well rewarded for his time here but I think people have a over-inflated view of what players earn over their careers, I just checked and he is only 30 years of age having only had one career in his life, that of a professional footballer. You would assume like the rest of us that whatever career he goes into next he is going to be starting at the bottom of the ladder, and professional footballer sounds great on paper however I doubt there are many industries where it counts for very much in the real world.

If he was sensible then perhaps he's put some money away or made some wise investments but I imagine he isn't going to be living out the rest of his days on a tropical island somewhere, he's going to have to make a living doing something else.
    Correct 100k a year is just enough to get by and no way sets someone up for life at 30. You have to keep on earning the dollar! 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    buckshee said:

I’ve seen posts about the PFA, but nothing about something being settled for money as you put it. Care to elaborate?
  • Options

You should not have addressed him as Judas, you may have got a better response.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    buckshee said:

must be why a lot of our late 90s/early 00's footballers who were earning similar, if not more money don't need to work anymore as coaches, pundits etc. Oh... wait. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    buckshee said:

I’ve seen posts about the PFA, but nothing about something being settled for money as you put it. Care to elaborate?
    If Solly has gone to the PFA for a dispute, what else would he be looking for? 

The lack of his side to the story other than a few odd journalist leaks implies an NDA being in place no? Especially if Solly feels like Bowyer misrepresented his situation. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    buckshee said:

If Solly has gone to the PFA for a dispute, what else would he be looking for? 

The lack of his side to the story other than a few odd journalist leaks implies an NDA being in place no? Especially if Solly feels like Bowyer misrepresented his situation. 
    It could be one of a number of reasons as to why he went to the PFA. 

You don’t know that it was to do with money or looking for a settlement. You’ve just made it up after putting a few rumours together. 
  • Options
    Footballers have many costs which come out of their salary. Car leasing and very expensive car insurance, etc, etc.  (Then there's the benefit in kind tax on their agents' fees paid by the club on their behalf I believe).  So I doubt many are very well off when they leave the game.  Meanwhile professional footballers' pensions used to kick in at age 35. Since 2006 that has been moved to age 55. So these days many footballers outside the rarefied atmosphere of the PL will need to find themselves alternative employment if they wish to get anywhere near the standard of living they have become used to.
    Not sure what a footballer can expect by way of pension but a payment of £5,850 per year is made into their fund on their behalf. (No cost to the footballer - it comes out of the 4% transfer levy and is consequently largely paid for by PL clubs). So let's say a 15 year career plus some investment performance; they might end up with a pension pot a little over 120k. That might give them, what 5k a year as a pension?  As a consequence many will be chucking very large slices of their incomes into AVCs.
    In short the likes of Chris Solly will not be living the dream when their careers come to an end.  
  • Options
    Earning £100k a year, supporting a family and paying a mortgage when you're likely the sole breadwinner doesn't actually get you a lot these days, especially in the south east. Let alone being able to not work after just 10 years of earning that kind of money.