Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Solly

Comments

• Options
    The fact remains is Solly refused to extend his contract with the club to help us through the covid period. 

Whether he fell out with Bowyer in my view is immaterial. He refused the club to sign that deal and not Bowyer. 

Did he do it out of fear of being injured? Did he do it because he was sick of training and not playing? Did he do it for another reason entirely? Who knows at this point. But he should have kept himself available for the club. 
    I would encourage you to watch the J Lloyd Samuel documentary (details on that thread) to see what happens to players when they reach a certain age and how difficult it is for them to get a contract. It would give you some insight as to why things are never that "black or white". 
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    The fact remains is Solly refused to extend his contract with the club to help us through the covid period. 

Whether he fell out with Bowyer in my view is immaterial. He refused the club to sign that deal and not Bowyer. 

Did he do it out of fear of being injured? Did he do it because he was sick of training and not playing? Did he do it for another reason entirely? Who knows at this point. But he should have kept himself available for the club. 
    I would encourage you to watch the J Lloyd Samuel documentary (details on that thread) to see what happens to players when they reach a certain age and how difficult it is for them to get a contract. It would give you some insight as to why things are never that "black or white". 
    Sounds like excuses for a player that refused to play for us to me. We had paid him a full contract over the duration of the season, and you would expect the player to be willing to fulfill his duty and make himself available for all games in that season. He chose not to. 

Did any other club have similar issues with their players? I don't think so. Especially a club legend like we did. 
  • Options

Sounds like excuses for a player that refused to play for us to me. We had paid him a full contract over the duration of the season, and you would expect the player to be willing to fulfill his duty and make himself available for all games in that season. He chose not to. 

Did any other club have similar issues with their players? I don't think so. Especially a club legend like we did. 
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/sep/09/ryan-fraser-bournemouth-newcastle-united-steve-bruce
  • Options

You said it - over 300 games. We may never have another player who plays that many games for us. The Manager refused to play him even when he was fit but you expect him to risk the rest of his career for as little as five minutes. I doubt very much that Bowyer would have played him at all and as I keep saying he used Solly and Davis to add to Taylor and to make it a "it's them against us lads" mentality. The reason we went down is because we could not score goals - 6 in those final 9 games. 

As I say, it's not always as black and white and note, with interest, that you make no comment on Bowyer actively going out on signing Taylor for Birmingham. Was that right given how badly he allegedly felt at being let down by Taylor? 
    I mean contracts are black and white, both literally and figuratively. Do you think Solly should have fulfilled his contractual obligations for at least the period after football resumed to the date his contract expired?
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    se9addick said:

You said it - over 300 games. We may never have another player who plays that many games for us. The Manager refused to play him even when he was fit but you expect him to risk the rest of his career for as little as five minutes. I doubt very much that Bowyer would have played him at all and as I keep saying he used Solly and Davis to add to Taylor and to make it a "it's them against us lads" mentality. The reason we went down is because we could not score goals - 6 in those final 9 games. 

As I say, it's not always as black and white and note, with interest, that you make no comment on Bowyer actively going out on signing Taylor for Birmingham. Was that right given how badly he allegedly felt at being let down by Taylor? 
    I mean contracts are black and white, both literally and figuratively. Do you think Solly should have fulfilled his contractual obligations for at least the period after football resumed to the date his contract expired?
    They are black and white. They are frequently broken and usually by mutual consent but a lot of the time players are told that they either accept a move or they sit in the reserves. The club holds all the aces then but if the player decides to stay and just draw his wages then many a fan will accuse him of taking the mickey out of the club by not moving. An extreme example of that would be Winston Bogarde. 
  • Options
    .The Red Robin said:
    What he did is no different to Lyle Taylor 
    He didn't - but the circumstances were completely different. See above.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/sep/09/ryan-fraser-bournemouth-newcastle-united-steve-bruce
    He's a money grabber and was after a payday just like Taylor was. Bournemouth fans rightly call him a traitor and would boo him if he returned. 

You don't see Bournemouth fans trying to excuse his behaviour because he was doing what was right for his family do you? 

Why does Solly get an allowance for doing exactly the same thing? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:

He's a money grabber and was after a payday just like Taylor was. Bournemouth fans rightly call him a traitor and would boo him if he returned. 

You don't see Bournemouth fans trying to excuse his behaviour because he was doing what was right for his family do you? 

Because Solly clearly wasn't doing it for a payday... Otherwise he wouldn't have dropped four Divisions?

If he's got a payrise going from the Championship to Ebbsfleet in the National League South, then there is something seriously wrong with the world - and yes I'm aware that Wrexham are splashing the cash, but dont think Ebbsfleet are comparable.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Because Solly clearly wasn't doing it for a payday... Otherwise he wouldn't have dropped four Divisions?

If he's got a payrise going from the Championship to Ebbsfleet in the National League South, then there is something seriously wrong with the world - and yes I'm aware that Wrexham are splashing the cash, but dont think Ebbsfleet are comparable.
    No he wasn’t but he did still reject an offer to see the season out and support the club as a leader and legend. He didn’t.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

No he wasn’t but he did still reject an offer to see the season out and support the club as a leader and legend. He didn’t.

For the reason behind this decision, only Chris solly can answer.

He may have had a personal problem and had a particular issue that was out of his control. 

If it was as simple as...he just can't be bothered and he no longer cares, then that's as bad as bloke chasing the Nottingham forest dream...

• Options
    No it’s not.

Solly staying, we still go down.
    Taylor staying, we stay up.  

That’s your difference.  
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    BDL said:
    I spoke to him when he joined Ebbsfleet and his reply was that he was willing to play on after the restart but he wanted the club to guarantee if he got injured they'd extend his contract the following season. That request was refused.
    So basically made an unreasonable demand that the club couldn't offer. 

The club couldn't accept that kind of liability, but it does mean that Solly didn't flat out refuse to stay on at least. 
  • Options
    BDL said:
    I spoke to him when he joined Ebbsfleet and his reply was that he was willing to play on after the restart but he wanted the club to guarantee if he got injured they'd extend his contract the following season. That request was refused.
    So basically made an unreasonable demand that the club couldn't offer. 

The club couldn't accept that kind of liability, but it does mean that Solly didn't flat out refuse to stay on at least. 
    In an ideal world, which I appreciate its not, shouldn't that be exactly what any club should do? 

I mean for a serious injury?  

The fact you think "tough luck, jog on" means Taylor would have been right if everyone agreed with you? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    BDL said:
    That's fair enough.
  • Options
    BDL said:
    That's fair enough.
    No, it’s not. 
    You have a contract for a reason, it ensures you and the club know exactly wheee you stand. There is no contractual caveat that says if you get injured the club will give you another year. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    BDL said:
    That's fair enough.
    No, it’s not. 
    You have a contract for a reason, it ensures you and the club know exactly wheee you stand. There is no contractual caveat that says if you get injured the club will give you another year. 
    If George Dobson, or Albie Morgan, or Sean Clare, or Ryan Inniss does his ACL in February and won't realistically play again before Christmas what do should we do, give him a new contract or "jogging him on" even though he won't play before the following Christmas?

Or does it depend if they are good or not?

If its done "in the line of duty" the club should do the right thing, who ever it is.
  • Options
    No it’s not.

That’s your difference.  
    That does make it right though? So basically we didn’t care if the crap out players did it but do if they were decent? I think it’s that sort of attitude that leads to players like Taylor being able to excuse what they’ve done. 

I’ve not judged Solly too much because I always believed there was more to the story, but in theory he’s definitely no better than Taylor. Fair enough he didn’t wasn’t a key player but what if Matthews and Oshilija had both got injured? 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    BDL said:
    That's fair enough.
    No, it’s not. 
    But most of the games were outside the contract period weren’t they? 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    MrOneLung said:
    BDL said:
    That's fair enough.
    No, it’s not. 
    If George Dobson, or Albie Morgan, or Sean Clare, or Ryan Inniss does his ACL in February and won't realistically play again before Christmas what do should we do, give him a new contract or "jogging him on" even though he won't play before the following Christmas?

Or does it depend if they are good or not?

If its done "in the line of duty" the club should do the right thing, who ever it is.
    I guess finances play a part, can clubs recover much? If a small club lose 2 players in March who are ruled out for let’s say 15 months, the next season they’d potentially have to pay those and their 2 replacements. 
  • Options
    No it’s not.

That’s your difference.  
    That does make it right though? So basically we didn’t care if the crap out players did it but do if they were decent? I think it’s that sort of attitude that leads to players like Taylor being able to excuse what they’ve done. 

I’ve not judged Solly too much because I always believed there was more to the story, but in theory he’s definitely no better than Taylor. Fair enough he didn’t wasn’t a key player but what if Matthews and Oshilija had both got injured? 
    It doesn’t make it right, it makes it different.  Solly wouldn’t of played anyway.  

Im not talking in theory I’m talking in practical terms, Taylor was our talisman, Solly was an ageing back up right back.  
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    BDL said:
    That's fair enough.
    No, it’s not. 
    You have a contract for a reason, it ensures you and the club know exactly wheee you stand. There is no contractual caveat that says if you get injured the club will give you another 

but he was out of contract and was asked to play on out of contract. There wasn't a contractual caveat saying the contract would be extended to cover the closing down of football due to a world wide pandemic

taylor refused to play to prevent injury stopping a big money pay day. If solly asked for a contingency to be added which would protect him and prevent him spending a year without earning, that's fair enough in my view.
  • Options
    No it’s not.

That’s your difference.  

The outcome is irrelevant. He made the same decision. 
  • Options
    So his contract had run out then & he was willing to extend for the extension to the season but wanted security.  Nothing wrong with that at all.