Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Catalan Independence vote

Comments

• Options
    Isn't it difficult to tell who is truly Catalan?

"English" people were allowed to vote in the Scottish referendum if they lived there. But Europeans couldn't vote in our referendum no matter how long they had lived here. The trouble is that both approaches seem fair but you get completely different results.
  • Options
    redman said:

As I said long ago I still can't see why the people of Catalonia shouldn't be given a proper referendum on independence as in UK and Scotland. An election like yesterday was never going to solve anything imo.

Referendums should come from the political process. The first step is to show a sizable majority want something. In Scotland’s case, an Independence Party was dominating the elections. That give credence to the movement and the British government took that on board.

I believe a similar situation existed in Quebec.

It doesn’t in Catalonia. The majority of votes are for parties that want to stay part of Spain. The seats are a very narrow majority the other way. Certainly not the conditions you’d want to hold a referendum under
  • Options
    redman said:

As I said long ago I still can't see why the people of Catalonia shouldn't be given a proper referendum on independence as in UK and Scotland. An election like yesterday was never going to solve anything imo.

I don't think a referendum would really help, nor am I sure that one could be agreed.

The problem is that, if a legal referendum was allowed for Catalonia alone under the Spanish Constitution (I'm not sure that it does), how would it be framed to ensure that the people would be happy?

At what level would it be reasonable to set the bar for an independence win, should there be a supermajority of 60, 65, 70 or 75%? A simple majority is, in all honesty, unlikely to work. And the losing side would be so substantial that the political crisis would not go away.

If any referendum leading to a vote for independence shows significant regional divisions within Catalonia, so that for example, Barcelona, Tarragona and their hinterlands were overwhelmingly pro-Union with Spain, should they be allowed secede from secession? If that was allowed, could the independent parts of Catalonia afford independence?

For me, the only way to avoid things ending up as pointless bickering (like a Stormont on the Med) would be if, somehow, moderate Catalan nationalists and moderate Spanish unionists could agree enough common ground for a government that would deliver the things that Catalonia needs on a day to day basis, and park this question for a while to let the tempers cool.

Not that that will happen.
  • Options
    based on @SomervilleAddick view we wouldn't have had a Brexit vote. None of the major political parties were in favour of it. Which I believe would have been undemocratic.
    re @NornIrishAddick. Although I have some sympathy with this Catalonia is different with its own language and historical region. I can't see any other democratic reason for it not to be a simple majority.
    Why can't people accept democracy and the will of the people?
  • Options
    @redman why does the language make a difference. Why do Catalans who speak Catalan and want independence need a simple majority to impose their will on Catalan speaking Catalans who don't? The whole process is going to be hugely disruptive and economically damaging (the explicit views of ex Catalan president and pro independence leader Artur Mas ) so to put it in motion surely you need a large proportion of the populace in favour. Where does the language issue enter in that?
  • Options
    The will of the people is not to be independent. The independents received 47% of the vote and most people there just want to keep their jobs and get on with their lives. The independent movement is mainly driven by rural middle class towns in Lleida and Girona, and headed by a former journalist and a group who claim Catalans are genetically different to the rest of Spain. They don't speak for the majority, as the percentages have shown with yesterday's election.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    redman said:

based on @SomervilleAddick view we wouldn't have had a Brexit vote. None of the major political parties were in favour of it. Which I believe would have been undemocratic.
    re @NornIrishAddick. Although I have some sympathy with this Catalonia is different with its own language and historical region. I can't see any other democratic reason for it not to be a simple majority.

Well, the simplest reason why it is that most referenda with potentially significant outcomes require a supermajority is that it helps avoid years of strife, and possibly worse.

It is entirely democratic to require a clear majority in favour of a given proposition, and even a minimum threshold. In fact, because of the nature of referenda, in comparison to Parliamentary elections and votes, it's almost a requirement to avoid the fabled tyranny of the majority. Because people are offered only a binary choice, the outcome of a referendum cannot be nuanced to recognise and represent a range of opinions and possible outcomes, and will almost inevitably lead to politicians (at least some) seeking to interpret the vote in ways that it is reasonable to assume the electorate did not intend.

And, dare I say it, if you look at the spectrum of Catalan nationalists, you will find numbers who would lay claim to parts of Valencia and the Balearics. It is not as if Catalonia represents a discrete linguistic and national/regional identity, a people united in a single world view, and entirely contained within its borders.

If you believe that those who wish to claim a particular national identity, one one side of the debate, such as the Catalan nationalists, can leave an existing political body, in Spain, as the result of a referendum, then surely the same courtesy must be extended to those who seek to remain Spanish within Catalonia. So the only fair outcome of a binding referendum would be one whereby an independent Catalonia would, most likely, be shorn of both Barcelona and Tarragona.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    There are four national languages here as well as many other unofficial ones, such as Leonese, Aragonese and Asturian. Each region has its own distinct culture and traditions. That shouldn't be confused for wanting to be their own country. This is the modern nation state, not a collection of feudal communities.
  • Options
    redman said:

I think you’ve confirmed my view. There should have been no Brexit vote, because there was no significant political will. It’s was done for internal party reasons. Without a significant political movement before a referendum is announced, you get the mess you have today.

And, as I’m sure has been said before, nobody is denying the will of the majority of the people. It’s the loud but significant minority who aren’t getting what they want.
  • Options
    Carles Puigdemont as on the ball as ever. He's quoted as saying that as the Catalan people have clearly shown their desire for independence, Mariano Rajoy should come and meet him for talks in Brussels. Once again we have an Independence spokesman who writes off half the population.

Come back to Barcelona Charlie, there's a cell with your name on it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There are several posters on here who know far more about the local situation in Catalan than I do. I thank you for your posts and many have been far more enlightning than the general news.
    I mainly talk of principles. Firstly I believe in democracy as a first principle. Secondly there is generally a big difference between voting for a party who is for or against independence than there is in an actual referendum. Although different Scotland and UK show that. A proper referendum would have the benefit of stopping a lot of the arguments (at least for a few years). The economic impact, effect on people's jobs etc can be properly debated during the lead up to an election.
  • Options
    redman said:

There are several posters on here who know far more about the local situation in Catalan than I do. I thank you for your posts and many have been far more enlightning than the general news.
    I mainly talk of principles. Firstly I believe in democracy as a first principle. Secondly there is generally a big difference between voting for a party who is for or against independence than there is in an actual referendum. Although different Scotland and UK show that. A proper referendum would have the benefit of stopping a lot of the arguments (at least for a few years). The economic impact, effect on people's jobs etc can be properly debated during the lead up to an election.

The problem is, they wouldn't be. Properly debated that is. All the in/out arguments and petty bickering about racism/xenophobia aside, Brexit will be an unmitigated disaster for the vast majority of people in the UK, because people aren't given 'facts' in debates - they're given hyperbole, pandering to base instinct and a whole lot of playing on fears. The same would happen in Catalonia. Sad as it is to admit, this sort of decision shouldn't be made by 'the people' (outside of the regular democratic process of an election)
  • Options

There are four national languages here as well as many other unofficial ones, such as Leonese, Aragonese and Asturian. Each region has its own distinct culture and traditions. That shouldn't be confused for wanting to be their own country. This is the modern nation state, not a collection of feudal communities.

This. Beat me to it, the missus' dad will often speak in the Aragonese dialect around the villages, Catalonia isn't a special case within Spain of having its own culture and customs, though they very much like to think so. If Catalonia should be independent because of this, then why not Aragon, Galicia so on so forth.
  • Options
    The good news is I live near Tarbarnia. A new region constituted by metropoliran Barcelona, Tarragona and the coastal strip between. A new organisation here has declared 'we are plural, bilingual, open, cosmopolitan and anti seperatist. The only thing we have done is put a name to where we live'.
    I wonder how the seperatists will take it when Barcelona and Tarragona declare independence from Catalunya.
  • Options
    Yeah, but you keep skipping over the ones who don't want to seperate. This isn't 'the Catalan people', it's slightly less than half (or slightly over). Why are you so determined that one half get what they want in detriment to the other?
    Merry christmas anyway.
  • Options
    Not a million miles from the truth. I find it fascinating how people separate racism/fascism/nationalism from 'independence' arguments. Most of the arguments in favour of Catalan independence mention a misconceived belief that Catalans are somehow 'superior' to the rest of Spain and don't want their identity to be 'watered down'. That sounds eerily familiar...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The whole separatist argument depends on this kind of oversimplification. The 'underdog' in Catalunya is likely to be the normal working class person who does not want to lose their hard fought job because of politicians' vanity project based on genetic superiority.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Feliz Navidad indeed!
    The difference between the "referendum" and the election is like chalk and cheese. In terms of a fair campaign, proper electoral process with formal scrutiny, the election was the real McCoy.
    Two million voted "si" with no plan except UDI back in September. Those same two million voted for separatist parties the other day but this time they were accompanied by two million "remainers".

This in no time to play winner takes all in what is a 50:50 position.

People are assuming separatists have won the election but CUP have been crushed; Puigdemont is an opportunist in exile; and the numbers in exile or jail might prevent them voting Puigdemont in as Catalonia President?

Not sure how the process works but those trying to defend those arrested might stop to contemplate the charges? Sedition and misuse of state funds are fairly serious - being an elected politician is no defence. Surely only extreme separatists and anarchists will defend these people. Let's be clear: it was an illegal referendum designed to support a unilateral declaration of independence. Plus there are allegations that state funds have been used to support this campaign.

The tensions are high and it's going to take years to diffuse, with potential economic damage in the meantime? Every month will reveal a new chapter - same as Brexit and Trump.

Long term, the only way forwards is for centre right and centre left voters to back candidates with sensible pragmatic solutions at the next election. Like the UK, there's no telling when the next one will be - funny how some power crazed, nationalist ideologues hold countries to ransom as they seek power?!

Felix Navidad!
  • Options

Yeah, but you keep skipping over the ones who don't want to seperate. This isn't 'the Catalan people', it's slightly less than half (or slightly over). Why are you so determined that one half get what they want in detriment to the other?

Sounds just like Brexit.

(no response needed, please)

• Options
    dosnt sound like Brexit

no reponce needed
  • Options
    So, if 51% of the votes isn't enough ? What would do it ? 60% or 75% ? What if 80% of the people would vote for Independence, would one accept this ? I just wonder ...
  • Options
    skywalker said:

So, if 51% of the votes isn't enough ? What would do it ? 60% or 75% ? What if 80% of the people would vote for Independence, would one accept this ? I just wonder ...

It's not 51% of votes. It's 51% of turnout. And even if it were - no, 51% is not enough. 70% would be a more decisive mandate for what is likely to be the biggest economic, political and cultural upheaval the region would ever see. At that sort of level, you're looking at a potential new country that is reasonably united in wanting to break away from the larger state. A straightforward 'majority' just isn't enough in instances like this. Democracy isn't as simple as that - when you're talking about the difference of a few thousand votes that could affect millions of people.

Of course, even if a ballot for independence were set at 70% in favour triggering a 'leave' process, that process is still fraught with difficulty - but at least it would indicate enough of the population thought it was worth pursuing.
  • Options
    Just a small bit of news. The Independence bloc have hit a temporary (at least) stumbling block, as the ERC have stated they will only accept JuntsPerSi 's proposal of Carles Puigedemont as president if he returns to Catalunya. That is fraught with difficulty as despite his showboating in Brussels about the demands he needs meeting in order to return, he will actually be arrested the moment he is seen here. Junts per Si have now offered another candidate, Jordi Sánchez, who is already in prison. I get the impression they actually want a president in exile or slammer in order to show the world how badly they are being treated. However, anyone they nominate to be in the Catalan parlaiament will be unable to vote on anything as they aren't there to do it, so we may possibly end up with Ciutadans being given a shot, or more likely, more elections in may.
    Cuitadans have been criticised by the ruling Popular Party in Madrid for not even trying to form a government first before giving the Independence brigada a go, despite the fact that a) Ciutadans will find it next to imposible to get a majority and b) The Popular pary did exactly the same thing a year ago in the general election.
    Meantime, there is a news ítem cirulating on a site called El Confidencial which outlines Puigdemont's plans for the next legislature. He ambitiously plans maternity leave of 16 weeks for both partners and a mínimum salary of 1018 euros per month which will be great but a bit hard to finance, He also `plans to seize control of the airporta and rail network, and prepare a didg¡tal register for the new republic (whatever that is) so he appears to feel there is no limit to what he can achieve with the full backing of the Catalan people. I'm a bit surised he didn't mention this during the elections, but they were entirly fought on hatred or love of Spain so there was really no need to offer anything like a manifestó.
    As someone jovially posted on here on christmas day, Christ on a bike........