Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Michael O'Leary & Ryanair

Comments

• Its one of those things that will probably come from Bank Of Dad. But it will give him fantastic experience that will (hopefully) pay him back handsomely.
  • Anyone else think it odd Ryan air advertising in prime time yesterday during the half time interval of the of the spurs game? Like buying a lottery ticket
  • Anyone else think it odd Ryan air advertising in prime time yesterday during the half time interval of the of the spurs game? Like buying a lottery ticket

Odd? I thought it was piss taking of the highest level.
  • them adverts were probably sent out and arranged a bit before this week, had a look on there sight and currently out of gatwick you can only book flights to dublin.
  • Ryanair's Chief Operations officer has resigned and O'Leary has supposedly offered better pay and conditions to try and get pilots to stay
  • Bugger. Wrong COO.
  • Addickted said:

Bugger. Wrong COO.

How long do you think she would have lasted under Michael O'Leary?

Perhaps I could have phrased it more delicately but I'm sure you get what I mean!
  • Addickted said:

Bugger. Wrong COO.

How long do you think she would have lasted under Michael O'Leary?

Perhaps I could have phrased it more delicately but I'm sure you get what I mean!
    Quite some time I would imagine. O'Leary seems to have fallen out of the same tree as RD and KM when it comes to pissing people off.

• An elderly couple have said they were "horrified" after being charged £110 by Ryanair to print their tickets at the airport.

Ruth, 79, and Peter Jaffe, 80, told the BBC's Radio 4 Today Programme they had to pay the fee after they mistakenly downloaded their return tickets instead of their outgoing tickets.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66500479

• Sponsored links:

• Scum airline.
  • Many years ago I flew to Rome with Ryanair,I made a mistake with my return date,I was not booked on the flight I thought I was on,although there was space available,I was charged over 500 euros for 2 x one way tickets back to Stanstead,and of course they could sell the seats on the plane that I had mistakingly booked.I have never used them since.
  • Billy_Mix said:
    clive said:

An elderly couple have said they were "horrified" after being charged £110 by Ryanair to print their tickets at the airport.

Ruth, 79, and Peter Jaffe, 80, told the BBC's Radio 4 Today Programme they had to pay the fee after they mistakenly downloaded their return tickets instead of their outgoing tickets.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66500479

The ages of the "victims" in this case are being spun up to create clickbait phoney outrage and bleeding heart sympathy.
    Anybody falling for that narrative is dafter than Mr & Mrs Jaffe.
    Ryanair's reputation for sticking on exorbitant fees for routine admin, baggage etc is well earned but nobody's booking a flight with them unaware of the potential pitfalls.
    The pitfall here might have been a trivial mistake but if this was a hairy arsed bricky on his way to or from barcelona stagdo debauchery the tabloids wouldn't touch it, would they?
    This is far from newsworthy when there's tonnes of our shit swilling onto beaches from criminal sewage companies who continue to pay huge dividends and massive bonusses.
    Russia continues to slaughter civilians in Ukraine on a wholly bogus pretext.
    Our elected regime foments race hate in its rhetoric on asylum
    Asylum seekers are incarcerated in a lethally unhealthy prison hulk on the coast of a locality that already suffering below requirement GP provision

Yet our MSM bleat on about dopey consumers paying more than they might have done

- anybody wondering why that is..?
    Because there can be/are multiple news/'news' stories every day and stories like the RyanAir on are in the news alongside the other stuff - one doesn't preclude the other
  • Agree with most of what Billymix says except i think the key theme here, that makes it especially newsworthy, is the age discrimination element. It is common for company websites to disadvantage the elderly and for no allowance in overly-rigid processes. Elderly people are treated poorly in so many ways when it comes to access to goods and services that many younger people, and companies tend to take for granted. 

The AA for example direct people that are broken down to use their app, or else join a queue via a telephone number, with no priority for elderly or vulnerable. British gas (and other energy companies) have a 'Priority services register', so why can't others provide suitable access for the elderly and vulnerable- is their custom any less valuable?!- no, it's because they are excluded from processes as no-one in power gave process design due regard.

Ryanair is an especially nasty company for many reasons. This story is a reminder of that. Cheap they may be but i find their lack of flexibility, and lack of compassion, inexcusable and would rather they are penilised directly (via regulation/ legal sanction) or indirectly (customer boycotts). 
    In what way did Ryanair discriminate against them due to their age? 

Their business model is all about providing unbundled, basic fares at very low cost and then piling on as many ancillary and additional charges as possible. But they do that without discrimination: everyone gets hit by their ridiculous charges. 
  • Many years ago I flew to Rome with Ryanair,I made a mistake with my return date,I was not booked on the flight I thought I was on,although there was space available,I was charged over 500 euros for 2 x one way tickets back to Stanstead,and of course they could sell the seats on the plane that I had mistakingly booked.I have never used them since.
    You made the mistake not them.
  • Chizz said:
    Agree with most of what Billymix says except i think the key theme here, that makes it especially newsworthy, is the age discrimination element. It is common for company websites to disadvantage the elderly and for no allowance in overly-rigid processes. Elderly people are treated poorly in so many ways when it comes to access to goods and services that many younger people, and companies tend to take for granted. 

The AA for example direct people that are broken down to use their app, or else join a queue via a telephone number, with no priority for elderly or vulnerable. British gas (and other energy companies) have a 'Priority services register', so why can't others provide suitable access for the elderly and vulnerable- is their custom any less valuable?!- no, it's because they are excluded from processes as no-one in power gave process design due regard.

Ryanair is an especially nasty company for many reasons. This story is a reminder of that. Cheap they may be but i find their lack of flexibility, and lack of compassion, inexcusable and would rather they are penilised directly (via regulation/ legal sanction) or indirectly (customer boycotts). 

Their business model is all about providing unbundled, basic fares at very low cost and then piling on as many ancillary and additional charges as possible. But they do that without discrimination: everyone gets hit by their ridiculous charges. 
    Mrs Jaffe is quoted as saying the website is difficult to use, implying this led to her mistake. The disproportionate fee was one consequence and another was having to move to another Ryanair desk despite physical impairments, to sort the issue out. 
  • I don't have a huge amount of sympathy for them, they chose to fly with them in the first place and printed the wrong thing...

Yes the additional fees are extortionate, but you get what you pay (very little) for 
  • Sponsored links:

• Chizz said:
    Agree with most of what Billymix says except i think the key theme here, that makes it especially newsworthy, is the age discrimination element. It is common for company websites to disadvantage the elderly and for no allowance in overly-rigid processes. Elderly people are treated poorly in so many ways when it comes to access to goods and services that many younger people, and companies tend to take for granted. 

Mrs Jaffe is quoted as saying the website is difficult to use, implying this led to her mistake. The disproportionate fee was one consequence and another was having to move to another Ryanair desk despite physical impairments, to sort the issue out. 
    Three second bit is very much discriminatory, I agree. 
  • edited August 2023
    I find the Ryan Air website ok to use but the problem is, and it isn't just Ryan Air, but comapnies and society have given up on the older generation who may not have smart phones or be that comfortable on computers. In many places, if you want to pay to park your car you need an app. Some older people don't have phones that can run apps. You go to a bank and you have to use the machines. I suppose you either care or you don't and our society does not really care.
    Broadly agree but I don't think this is simply a 'society not caring' thing. We have the Equality Act and age is a protected characteristic. As a result age discrimination is generally not accepted in the workplace but the Act also covers goods and services. I think it's the case that no landmark cases have been brought through the courts to date, and maybe never will. I imagine there is a prevailing attitude that older people are dying out (inevitably) and it's their fault if they don't have the skills to function as a consumer in our 'consumer society', which is now largely internet-based as it is automated.    

I'm not familiar with the RyanAir website but often find sites where i have had to use some pretty nifty skills (if i say so myself), just to do basic navigation or move along in a process that hasn't really been fully tested or isn't actually clear enough for a less computer literate user, let alone an older person. Older people generally may have had little or no formal training in the computer use, and may need more time or alternative processes (like a telephone booking option) to complete a transaction. Tesco clubcard is a case in point where those who won't or can't use an app version can still request a plastic card from the Tesco website during the application process. 

Some companies clearly are more careful than others in this area. Others would head off the problem at the point the problem occurs through decent and compassionate customer service, which RyanAir seem thoroughly incapable of.

• Ryanair love this. It won’t hurt them whatsoever, publicity that they haven’t paid for. We all crave a bargain and as long as we do budget airlines will continue to work the way they do. 
    I get that this elderly couple made a mistake that perhaps most wouldn’t but why didn’t someone in their family sort things out for them before hand. Everyone who has ever booked a flight with Ryanair knows how this airline makes money. 
  • edited August 2023
    Their website is fine tho a little annoying when you’re trying to finalise your booking and they’re trying to sell you other stuff. Though most websites/apps are like this now. Deliveroo/Uber eats eg 
    funny enough, flew with them yesterday and no complaints. Actually found the whole bag drop thing at stansted really efficient. Plane was cramped but get what you pay for.
  • Ryanair love this. It won’t hurt them whatsoever, publicity that they haven’t paid for. We all crave a bargain and as long as we do budget airlines will continue to work the way they do. 
    I get that this elderly couple made a mistake that perhaps most wouldn’t but why didn’t someone in their family sort things out for them before hand. Everyone who has ever booked a flight with Ryanair knows how this airline makes money. 
    They may not have family. I won't when I am 80. I don't think it does them no harm either, sorry CK - nobody is going to book with Ryanair because they have read this, are they? And if one person goes with Jet 2 instead of them after seeing it, it has harmed them.     

I agree with virtually every post about this couple. Billy Mix is right, it's yet another dead cat, but Fiona is also correct, there is room for this in the news too.

People do know what they are going to get from Ryanair, but sometimes you have no choice as they are the only ones flying when you need to fly, or going to where you want to be.

Staying with Karen's 79 year old aunt - who is pretty savvy with the internet, but does not have a smart phone - I can see how difficult they make it for people without one. Older people without the knowledge or equipment are being discriminated against - Swords Alive is quite right. Case in point - we booked tickets for Twickenham for England v Fiji. I downloaded the app and bought the tickets, just have to wait until two days before the game to download the actual "tickets", simple.

Err... no. A week ago I get a communication saying that the person I have bought the second ticket for has to also download the app, and I have to send their ticket to their app. It is the only way they will be allowed in. Now, I have no doubt that this was in the small print. But clearly, before I paid for the tickets there should have been a warning that everyone over 18 attending the game has to have a smart phone? My wife's phone is old and unreliable, we are hoping it holds out and is useable on the day, but who knows? With a 48 hour window to download them (and Twickenham actually admit that you should get in asap, as the system can get overloaded!) there is no margin of error. An older person may just give up. 

You made the mistake not them.
    Yes I did but 250 euros each for one way flight from Rome,did they really need to do that.I could have got an easijet for half the money but that would have been to Gatwick.
  • edited August 2023
    My grandmother used to be afraid to turn the telly off uing the off switch. As a kid I found it frustrating. I have always considered myself to be quite tech savvy but I look at what my son can do and I can see I have been left at a point some way behind. One thing that makes my son laugh is my wife and I moaning there is rubbish on the TV tonight but we are all creatures of habit. 

I can print tickets etc... no problem but there is a group of people who don't have a smart phone or a PC/laptop. That isn't necessarily their fault. I suspect a lot of older people in this category get by, like my mum by getting help from younger generations of the family but there are some, as has been mentioned who do not have access to this. I think it is a form of neglect personally. If we don't bother raising it or trying to find solutions, it is what we are doing. You can't train a 90 year old to be sufficiently tech savvy and saying that is their problem if they are not and yes there has to be an element of society not caring in that approach to the issue. 

You have utility bills being structured where you benefit from better prices from shopping around. These people are excluded from this.  You can get a Tesco clubcard which is a card, but you need an app to use other supermarket's schemes.
  • But this couple were technically savvy, they just printed the wrong one