Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

NEW SIGNING MONDAY?? (ed. Leon Best training with us)

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Sage said:

Webbja77 said:

Devante Cole.... I think this boy is going to be a good player!! We should get in there now!

Devante Cole will be heading to a championship side in January, there’s no way we will match what Fleetwood would be asking for him, even if we sell Konsa and money does go back into the team.

Give Best a chance, he’s a couple of weeks away of even being considered for a contract but I think this one has legs. Hopefully he plays some part of a U23 game, maybe on Monday like Page but we will see. We won’t find much better right now before January comes.
    If we sign Best, nothing will happen in January unless Konza goes. Personally I would prefer Wilder to have Holmes now Marshall and Reeves are fit and Fosu is un-dropable.
  • Options

Sage said:

Webbja77 said:

Devante Cole.... I think this boy is going to be a good player!! We should get in there now!

Devante Cole will be heading to a championship side in January, there’s no way we will match what Fleetwood would be asking for him, even if we sell Konsa and money does go back into the team.

Give Best a chance, he’s a couple of weeks away of even being considered for a contract but I think this one has legs. Hopefully he plays some part of a U23 game, maybe on Monday like Page but we will see. We won’t find much better right now before January comes.
    If we sign Best, nothing will happen in January unless Konza goes. Personally I would prefer Wilder to have Holmes now Marshall and Reeves are fit and Fosu is un-dropable.
    This post has really confused me.

Fosu is in a rich vein of form, playing great right now so good on him, but he’s a young player, he will have dips in form, he will have bad games and Robinson has said he still has a lot to learn.
    Marshall on his day is one of the best wingers in the league, but hasn’t started a game for us this season after coming back from a bad injury.
    Reeves is only just coming back from 2 months of work, and hasn’t got a great injury record himself.

Holmes has proven he can do it in this league, is fundamental to our team and how we play, and quite frankly, there is no way Ricky Holmes is going to Sheffield United in January. You can forget that one happening.

We will bring in a player or two whether Konsa leaves in January or not. However, the quality of player we do bring in could well depend on whether Konsa leaves, which is likely to happen.

Dodoo’s loan won’t be extended. Devante Cole will not sign for us. Ricky Holmes will not be sold to Sheffield United. And Leon Best is probably about as good as we can get between now and January.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Webbja77 said:

I presume you didn't see this 9 min video ?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2730888-a-day-in-the-life-of-sheffield-united-boss-chris-wilder-on-transfer-deadline-day
  • Options

Webbja77 said:

I presume you didn't see this 9 min video ?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2730888-a-day-in-the-life-of-sheffield-united-boss-chris-wilder-on-transfer-deadline-day
    So he is up for a move and they don't want a lot for him. Obviously SU are in a higher league and in pole position IF they are still interested. Does not sound like they have loads to spend and if mid table they may not be up for new players and prefer to wait for the summer.

Funny old game you know!
  • Options
    Sage said:

Webbja77 said:

I think that a fully fit Best would be a decent back up for Magennis. Unfortunately I doubt he will get fit any time soon; the only saving grace is that we have these two Johnstone's paint games and the fa cup tie to five minutes to the ones that aren't fit
  • Options
    Charlton boss Karl Robinson says there is no timescale for offering Leon Best a deal.

The free agent has been training with the Addicks for the past two weeks. The former Newcastle striker is hoping to earn a short-term contract at the Valley.

Best, 31, has Premier League and Championship experience after spells with Newcastle, Blackburn and Ipswich.

Robinson told News Shopper: “He’s still training with us. He’ll have another big week next week.

“We've had Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday games so it’s not like the schedule has been too intense for him.

“He’ll train today and tomorrow and next week it’ll be a testing week to go through one or two facets of his fitness. And then we’ll be more calculated rather than opinionated.

“It’s not a case of impressing - we all know what Leon Best can do. It’s just about getting things right.”

Charlton are light in the striker department, which has resulted in Josh Magennis playing every minute of every game that he’s been available for this season.

Joe Dodoo was signed on loan from Rangers, but has failed to make an impact in SE7.

And Best would be a solid back-up option to Magennis, who is scheduled to have a much-needed rest in the coming weeks.

When asked if there is a timescale on offering Best a deal, Robinson said: “No, no, he’s in the process of moving house this week.

“He didn't expect this [training with Charlton] to come so quickly. He’s calm about it. He’s a really good lad. It’s really surprised me, which is nice.

“He’s moving further south. He’s in a good place so that’s important to me.”

click bait shopper
  • Options
    Seen Devante Cole play few times for Bradford, distinctly average. He has a similar work ethic to Sir Francis Jeffers.
  • Options
    Slightly surprised that an unemployed footballer would be moving house, rather than waiting to see where the opportunities will arise?

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Don't write off Dodoo yet.

He scored last Saturday in the inter-club match.

Yes but he always scored on his debut hence the goal in the interclub friendly w
    Webbja77 said:

Going on a interview with his dad recently the Sheffield United move will happen come January. He is out of contract in the summer so unless Fleetwood are right up there he will be sold but as the poster above has said it will be to a Championship club.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Slightly surprised that an unemployed footballer would be moving house, rather than waiting to see where the opportunities will arise?

Downsizing?

Moving closer to family?

• Options
    Get him fit, get him revved up he might just do a job for us this season.
  • Options

maybe he's moving into his 'forever' house. Not as if he can't rent another if he finds a Club in another part of the country.
  • Options

maybe he's moving into his 'forever' house. Not as if he can't rent another if he finds a Club in another part of the country.
    He's only 31 though, so it seems quite young to get a permanent base
  • Options
    Why has Dodoo hardly featured? Thought he looked alright on his debut. That is the one and only time I've seen him mind.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    If we need a striker, I notice that Danny Haynes for Cray, 4 levels below us admittedly, has 24 in 29 games. Presumably over his hammy problems. Cannot forget the away win vs Bournemouth where he was totally unplayable.
  • Options

If we need a striker, I notice that Danny Haynes for Cray, 4 levels below us admittedly, has 24 in 29 games. Presumably over his hammy problems. Cannot forget the away win vs Bournemouth where he was totally unplayable.

Nah you're alright. He was crap at Ebbsfleet. Very good player in his day, but those days are a long way behind him now
  • Options

Nah you're alright. He was crap at Ebbsfleet. Very good player in his day, but those days are a long way behind him now
    Better than Dodoo though, no doubt
  • Options
    What’s happening with this .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It seems like Best has been with us for ages, it almost feels like he's there as unpaid cover for Magennis!

If Magennis gets injured, he'll be offered a contract immediately, if not we'll just keep Best waiting until the transfer window opens in January...
  • Options
    He's been out for a while so it will take him a bit of time to get up to speed and a number of training sessions before he hits the right levels then a few friendlies/ youth games etc to get match fit. He's had that so shoukd be there or thereabouts now.

Does feel a tiny bit like we are seeing if we can get through to Jan without giving him a contract then we can try for someone better/more long term without having used some budget on him.

With the busy Christmas period coming up and Josh not having had a rest all year is feel much more comfortable if we offered him something even if it's just until Jan.
  • Options

It seems like Best has been with us for ages, it almost feels like he's there as unpaid cover for Magennis!

If Magennis gets injured, he'll be offered a contract immediately, if not we'll just keep Best waiting until the transfer window opens in January...

That's what I'm thinking, but I suppose Best is getting to use our facilities and camaraderie to get fit.
  • Options
    Best is probably not a bad choice of cover for Magennis as a target man, but he is unlikely to score that many goals. However we are scoring goals from Holmes and Fosu, and with JFC, Reeves, Marshall and Clarke all able to chip in its not like we are relying on Magennis only, so having a target man up top is not a bad thing to bring others into the game. I would have liked to see Clarke maybe used in the event of Magennis being injured or out of form as he doesn't deserve to not be in the team just because Reeves is fit. Its a nice choice to have though with midfielders available who can score goals and change a game. 100% we still need goal scoring striker/s in the January window, but as cover i'd give Best a shot, even if until end of the season.

Unfortunately Dodoo has done exactly what he has done elsewhere. Scored on his debut and then done pretty much nothing else. Maybe he needed a confidence boost coming here, but that hasn't happened. You wouldn't drop Magennis for Dodoo and if KAG is getting game time ahead of Dodoo, something is wrong.

KR wouldn't be not playing him if he thought he was capable of scoring or winning games. Think they messed up with that one. Could also mess up with Best.
  • Options

Or hopefully we want to sign him but due to a transfer embargo is in place due to DD.
  • Options

Or hopefully we want to sign him but due to a transfer embargo is in place due to DD.
    I would say this is true.
  • Options
    Danny