Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England vs Slovenia & Lithuania

Comments

• Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

So presumably now we've qualified, Kane will be rested on Sunday and wrapped in cotton wool like all strikers at big clubs...

Watch Southgate flog him for another 90 mins!

Group wrapped up. Was there any need to play Kane for 90 minutes? Can understand first 45 maybe but not the entire game in a dead rubber. Southgate is clueless. Entirely predictable though.

Anyway, enough of the moaning.

Winks was outstanding. Absolutely no surprise for me as I've sen enough of him already to know the boy is going to be a star. Dont think he misplaced a pass all night long. A la Modric. In that form, I'd have him starting centre-mid for Spurs ahead of the likes of Wanyama and Dier alongside a fully fit Dembele.

Dele Alli is still desperately searching for some form. Looking desperately short of fitness, touch and attitude right now. Disappointing for club and country.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

JohnBoyUK said:

So presumably now we've qualified, Kane will be rested on Sunday and wrapped in cotton wool like all strikers at big clubs...

Group wrapped up. Was there any need to play Kane for 90 minutes? Can understand first 45 maybe but not the entire game in a dead rubber. Southgate is clueless. Entirely predictable though.

Winks was outstanding. Absolutely no surprise for me as I've sen enough of him already to know the boy is going to be a star. Dont think he misplaced a pass all night long. A la Modric. In that form, I'd have him starting centre-mid for Spurs ahead of the likes of Wanyama and Dier alongside a fully fit Dembele.

Dele Alli is still desperately searching for some form. Looking desperately short of fitness, touch and attitude right now. Disappointing for club and country.
    One thing he's not desperately short of is (crap)attitude! And he needs to sort it out as it's a real Achilles heel!!
  • Options
    Hopefully St. George's Park will start paying dividends further up (ie the senior team) in the next few years, like it seems to be with the younger teams.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

The Premier League's reliance on foreign players has absolutely decimated the chances of the England team.

Infact, the "English" Premier League is doing more for the likes of the France, Spanish, Brazilian sides than it is for ours'.

We were also shire before the Premier League started!

• Options

JohnBoyUK said:

JohnBoyUK said:

One thing he's not desperately short of is (crap)attitude! And he needs to sort it out as it's a real Achilles heel!!
    First thing that he needs to sort out and before anything else is that very odd hairstyle.

Didn’t bother watching any of this and have not watched an England game since that awful and hopeless performance against Iceland . Doesn’t sound like anything has improved much since then despite the wins achieved against ( at best ) 2nd rate nations .

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Laddick01 said:

I know everyone in the team has their faults , but how depressing must it be playing in a team built around Jordan Henderson. Southgate will never drop him sadly.

If there was a better option then of course he would but in the grand scheme of things playing a holding midfielder who plays week in week out for one of the premier leagues top 5 teams isn't that bad
    cafctom said:

The Premier League's reliance on foreign players has absolutely decimated the chances of the England team.

Infact, the "English" Premier League is doing more for the likes of the France, Spanish, Brazilian sides than it is for ours'.

Don't agree with this at all. It's not as if we were regularly getting to the last 4 of tournaments before the premier league started. In fact the summer just before the premier league was formed we finished bottom of our group at Euro 92 and we didn't even qualify for the 94 world cup.
    Obviously we all remember Euro 96 with home advantage (which could've been so very different if we'd lost to spain), but then at the 98 world cup we went out in the 2nd round and at Euro 2000 we again didn't get out of the group.

If our players were good enough they would start ahead of foreign players, but the fact is they're quite often not.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

Dele Alli, to me, is not as good as the hype. He is an ok player in a very average England team. He is certainly not good enough to play for Real Madrid or Barcelona.

I feel the same about Rashford, just don't see how so many rave about him
  • Options

cafctom said:

We were also shire before the Premier League started!

Except for the best ever performance in an international competition on foreign soil two years before...
  • Options
    Winks was ok, not "outstanding".

We need to get Drinkwater and Dier to be our water carriers and allow two full backs to bomb on.

Give the front three license to just play.

Front three of Rashford, Kane, Vardy.

Ali just behind.

Dier and Drinkwater.

Rose and Walker as fullbacks.

Keane and Stones at centre half.

Butland in goal.

No place for Llalana but he's a good player that can come on and change a game.

Sterling - no.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    I had Winks in my England team on here.
    I'd start him without a second thought, but English fear- based conservatism so quickly adopted by Southgate means the prosaic workhorse that is Henderson - who is incapable of completing a pass of more than 10 feet - will start every game.
    It seems that the aversion to flair and blinkered reliance on a holding midfielder is not uncommon on here. I understand the need for it, but Henderson and Dier?
    Give me strength.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

JohnBoyUK said:

Don't worry - he'll find it soon enough. In fact, as soon as his new agent tells him that Real Madrid want to sign him.

• Options

JohnBoyUK said:

JohnBoyUK said:

Don't worry - he'll find it soon enough. In fact, as soon as his new agent tells him that Real Madrid want to sign him.

Tbh, its been like we've been playing with 10 men at times this season, he's been a total passenger. We've looked better when Eriksen and Son have been playing in behind Kane.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2017

Yes, the table makes it look much more comfortable than it was.

Not if you look at goals scored! We're the third lowest-scoring group winner I think. Germany scored nearly three times as many as us in their group. Different teams obviously, but it's an indicator at least. Especially given that Southgate prattled on about the opposition defending deeply, and they need to play against good teams to work on playing a more open game.

Thing is, Gareth, we played four games in the last tournament against defensive teams, and won just once - with a last minute goal.

I don't like the man, but losing Allardyce was bad news all round IMO. He at least dropped Henderson, and there's no fucking way he'd have Hart anywhere near the team.

• Options
    I'd like to see a few new rules implemented into the English game to help the national squad.

23 man matchday squads:
    10 of which must be English/homegrown
    10 of which must be under 21
    4 of the starting 11 must adhere to the above rulings (English under 21's do not count for double)
    Compensation for youth players "poached" from lower leagues and other academies to be significantly higher.

Teams who do not adhere to rules face points deductions and exclusions from cup competitions, including european games

Tax to be added to players purchased from overseas, to be directly funded into youth and grass roots football in communities
  • Options
    regarding the english game its a farce just look at chelseas player farm, whacking them all on long term contracts then loaning them out ( im aware we benefit from this )
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

I'd like to see a few new rules implemented into the English game to help the national squad.

23 man matchday squads:
    4 of the starting 11 must adhere to the above rulings (English under 21's do not count for double)
    Compensation for youth players "poached" from lower leagues and other academies to be significantly higher.

Teams who do not adhere to rules face points deductions and exclusions from cup competitions, including european games

Tax to be added to players purchased from overseas, to be directly funded into youth and grass roots football in communities

Laudable but I just think it would mean more English youngsters like Konsa being hoovered up by the PL and having their development stunted by not being able to get near the first team other than a name in a match day squad and not even being able to be loaned out.

Completely won't happen but I think a better solution would be to start reducing the ridiculous sums of money that PL teams get from Sky etc which might stop the crazy purchasing power they have. Far too many PL teams are gummed up with "average" foreign players. English talent doesn't get a chance to develop.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    sam3110 said:

23 man matchday squads:

I’d just settle for a few players that can keep hold of the ball, pass it forwards and put in the effort they do at club level.

Agree though that things need to change. One thing that really bothers me is the lack of English Managers - not many of those about in the Premier League.
  • Options
    The one change I would bring in would be to restrict the number of players clubs can have in their academies, to prevent the Chelseas of this world hoarding all the young players, only to sell or discard them a few years later.

For most smaller clubs now, it's questionable whether it's worth while having full academies, bringing them through from a young age if they can be stolen for a pittance.
  • Options
    Happy to see the new scapegoat is Henderson after Rooney's retirement. :-)
  • Options
    That's extraordinary. If only, he had learnt to 'spread out' in his younger days, he might be the next big thing.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

JohnBoyUK said:

JohnBoyUK said:

Tbh, its been like we've been playing with 10 men at times this season, he's been a total passenger. We've looked better when Eriksen and Son have been playing in behind Kane.
    Tbh if I was in your shoes what would concern me much more is the future of Harry Kane.

Now we all now footballers wages are obscene so bear with me when I say what on earth is Kane doing sticking around your place earning £100k a week when he could surely triple his wages overnight with the form he is currently in.

Can't really see Daniel Levy loosening the purse strings too much and much as Harry "is one of your own" and clearly loves the club, I suggest you enjoy him whilst you can as he surely won't be there much longer.