Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

TV coverage of The Ashes?

Will Sky or any other channels be getting extended highlights other than the BT stitch-up?

Comments

• I imagine the highlights will either be sold to a terrestrial broadcaster, or they'll be shown on BT Sports Showcase their Freeview channel
  • I'm hoping they'll be a terrestrial tv deal for the highlights, but probably not
  • be easier to watch highlights on SSN which will probably be something like australia 550 -2 declared us out for 250 or under each innings ..game over after 4 days

hope i am wrong
  • The Ashes should never have been allowed to leave terrestrial tv really poor decision by the ECB. How can you expect kids etc to get into the game if they cant bloody watch it!!

Agreed for home Tests, but overseas matches were never on terrestrial tv anyway, we got highlights of the Ashes but never any other series
  • Highlights are usually on Channel 5 aren't they?
  • Highlights are usually on Channel 5 aren't they?

Home matches only, this contract is nothing to do with the ECB
  • edited October 2017

Will Sky or any other channels be getting extended highlights other than the BT stitch-up?

Why is BT a stich up, they outbid Sky for the rights, something Sky has been doing for years
    Well, if you subscribed to Sky Sports for so many years and one of the main reasons you did so was to watch Test cricket......especially The Ashes.....it certainly feels like a stitch-up although I agree technically it isn’t.
    The Sky Test cricket commentary set up and the characters they have will be very sorely missed both here and in Australia .....and quite honestly IMHO they are irreplaceable.
    BT have offered me a years contract at £22 per month plus a one off £20 connection fee which they would forgo if I changed all services from Sky to them; which I wouldn’t do by the way.
    Anyone being offered a better deal?
  • Sponsored links:

• The Ashes should never have been allowed to leave terrestrial tv really poor decision by the ECB. How can you expect kids etc to get into the game if they cant bloody watch it!!

Terrestrial TV never once showed a minute of live action from England's tests abroad before Sky starting doing so...
  • lolwray said:

be easier to watch highlights on SSN which will probably be something like australia 550 -2 declared us out for 250 or under each innings ..game over after 4 days

hope i am wrong

expecting rain ??
    Haha - brilliant.
  • Do any of you guys stay up at night to watch it live?

• Will Sky or any other channels be getting extended highlights other than the BT stitch-up?

Why is BT a stich up, they outbid Sky for the rights, something Sky has been doing for years
    Well, if you subscribed to Sky Sports for so many years and one of the main reasons you did so was to watch Test cricket......especially The Ashes.....it certainly feels like a stitch-up although I agree technically it isn’t.
    The Sky Test cricket commentary set up and the characters they have will be very sorely missed both here and in Australia .....and quite honestly IMHO they are irreplaceable.
    BT have offered me a years contract at £22 per month plus a one off £20 connection fee which they would forgo if I changed all services from Sky to them; which I wouldn’t do by the way.
    I agree with you on the Sky cricket commentary team, especially Bumble and I would sooner have the ashes with Sky, I am with Virgin so get BT as well

I have a strange sleeping pattern nowadays and drift in and out of sleep most of the night.
  • Will Sky or any other channels be getting extended highlights other than the BT stitch-up?

Anyone being offered a better deal?</blockquote

Blame the EU. They insisted that one broadcaster ie Sky couldn't have total control of the broadcasting of football and wanted competition in the sector. Hence other broadcasters were encouraged to enter the field and BT sport was born. The rest is history.

Another example of where increased competition does not always benefit the consumer.

Too right ....if we're doing well.

I have a strange sleeping pattern nowadays and drift in and out of sleep most of the night.
    me too, another consequence of encroaching old age (:>)
  • Sponsored links:

• any idea who BT have contracted to be the presenters and commentators?
  • redman said:

any idea who BT have contracted to be the presenters and commentators?

Vaughan and Swann are on the TV advert
  • redman said:

any idea who BT have contracted to be the presenters and commentators?

Vaughan and Swann are on the TV advert
    Ponting also.
  • edited October 2017

Do any of you guys stay up at night to watch it live?

Yes, I do. Luckily I work from home so don't need to be up early for work. Saying that I usually crash out around 4am (missing the last session) unless its a tense final day.

Also I didn't realise that the coverage wasn't on Sky this year until reading this thread. Good job I subscribed to BT Sport this year. I principally got it to watch the Premiership games & some Champions League (knockout stages only - couldn't care less about Celtic playing a Moldovian side).

As someone said above, years ago overseas Test matches weren't shown at all until Sky got involved. Wouldn't have known about Beefy sending his mum-in-law to Pakistan if it wasn't for Fat Gatts finger waving. I hear we won the Ashes down under in the late 80's, but no coverage so not seen any highlights of it.
  • edited October 2017
    But its still unclear if they will be taking the C9 Oz feed and just doing 'punditry' ala football or if they will be doing their own commentary ala Sky - if its the C9 feed, then they can stick it - i'm not sitting there listening to Ian Wanka Chappell all night.
  • The following was on the BBC report announcing that BT had acquired the rights to Ozzie cricket ....

'BT Sport will also show free-to-air daily highlights of international matches and from the Big Bash League, Australia's domestic Twenty20 cricket tournament.'

Yes, I do. Luckily I work from home so don't need to be up early for work. Saying that I usually crash out around 4am (missing the last session) unless its a tense final day.

Also I didn't realise that the coverage wasn't on Sky this year until reading this thread. Good job I subscribed to BT Sport this year. I principally got it to watch the Premiership games & some Champions League (knockout stages only - couldn't care less about Celtic playing a Moldovian side).

As someone said above, years ago overseas Test matches weren't shown at all until Sky got involved. Wouldn't have known about Beefy sending his mum-in-law to Pakistan if it wasn't for Fat Gatts finger waving. I hear we won the Ashes down under in the late 80's, but no coverage so not seen any highlights of it.
    Highlights of overseas Ashes series were shown on the BBC, with the Aussie commentators

Used to get home from work around midnight and watch till lunch.

Different job this time round so won't see most of it.

Perth test starts at 2.30am so will get up a couple of hours earlier than normal and catch the afternoon sessions before going to work. The day night test starts at 4am so will probably watch the morning sessions.

Couple of the ODI's start at 6.30am so I will catch them if I'm off.

Terrestrial TV never once showed a minute of live action from England's tests abroad before Sky starting doing so...
    Yes they did!

The BBC showed the final day of the 4th Ashes Test from the MCG in the 1982/83 series live. We won! By just 3 runs when Thommo edged Botham to Tavare who parried the ball to Miller who took the catch. I stayed up and watched it all.

If you have, as you say, subscribed to Sky for many years you have got what you paid for!
    You can add BT Sport to your Sky package like I have. It's not much to a man who drives a car like you do!