Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

TV coverage of The Ashes?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Riviera said:

Riviera said:

If everything else in cricket went back to the way it was when there was only a camera at one end I'd take it.

No way.coverage is so much better now
    I think you missed my point.
    So I did just read through this page again

Sorry my bad: )
  • Options

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

If everything else in cricket went back to the way it was when there was only a camera at one end I'd take it.

No way.coverage is so much better now
    I think you missed my point.
    So I did just read through this page again

Sorry my bad: )
    You may get flagged for using “my bad” !
  • Options
    Sky's coverage is great, the masterclasses have been a good addition along with some other bits but I do think they need to have a a look at freshening up their own commentary team, I personally can't stand Botham and Bob Willis gets on my nerves a bit plus maybe Gower should make way for a new host.

Bumble, Holding, Nasser, Atherton are all good plus I've enjoyed Rob Key and Ian Ward become a pretty decent host
  • Options
    Nick knight is one of my favourite commentators but he never really recovered from getting on the wrong end of Pietersen.
  • Options

Nick knight is one of my favourite commentators but he never really recovered from getting on the wrong end of Pietersen.

You are kidding? Everyone saw Pietersen's outburst for what it was; a pathetic, juvenile rant that made him look an even bigger pratt than he was already.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

You are kidding? Everyone saw Pietersen's outburst for what it was; a pathetic, juvenile rant that made him look an even bigger pratt than he was already.
    And yet Knight was dropped from test commentary. Only does the small one day/T20 games when the bigger names can't be bothered and is mostly left with county games to cover. He has said more than once he wants to do tests again but that incident is preventing him.
  • Options

Riviera said:

And yet Knight was dropped from test commentary. Only does the small one day/T20 games when the bigger names can't be bothered and is mostly left with county games to cover. He has said more than once he wants to do tests again but that incident is preventing him.
    Rubbish!

He was never a regular Test match commentator.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Rubbish!

He was never a regular Test match commentator.
    No. He'd just been added to the panel. That was his first test series. He was removed after that series. It wasn't intended to be a temporary gig. He was added to the panel long term. And was dropped because of the incident and because too many fans sided with KP (as many still do on the England issue) He was a regular for ODI/T20. Whereas now he only gets ones where the Like a of Botham/Bumble aren't bothered.

I think we can both agree he is a far too good a presenter/ commentator to be stuck doing county games?

If So, and it's not the KP incident that's stopping him what is?
  • Options
    Rubbish. You're just giving your opinion based on the fact that you support Pietersen. Far too many assumptions without any evidence. Why on earth would he be dropped from Tests but kept for ODI/T20 etc?
    I have nothing more to say on the matter.
  • Options
    Unbelievable.

Are you even reading my posts? I hate KP I think the guy is a massive tosser.

I rate Nick Knight and thibk he is one of the best commentators out there.

However he was dropped for tests AND as first choice ODI/T20 commentator. He now only fills in for smaller games against smaller opponents when some of the bigger name commentators can't be bothered to turn up.

I'll say it again. He mostly does county coverage now.

This is dissapointing for me as not only do I think he is one of the best commentators out there and because that child KP got his way again.

This has come from the man himself. Knight has said on more than 1 occasion that it was the KP incident that stopped him from becoming a test regular. You believe what you want I'll listen to what the man himself has said.

We're basically saying the same thing. He should be commentating but he's not.

I'm simply adding that he says it's down to the KP incident which at the time had a lot of press coverage and support from a lot of fans who only casually watch international cricket and chose to side with the then big name player.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    And if anyone is making assumptions it's you. I'm using the evidence:

He was added to the test commentary team as a permanent addition. The incident happened. He has not commentated on tests again. He was dropped to back up for ODI/T20 and now mostly does county matches.

He himself has connected the two.
  • Options
    I still have no idea how you got I like KP from that. I said it was a shame because I like knight. Very odd.
  • Options
    edited October 2017

I still have no idea how you got I like KP from that. I said it was a shame because I like knight. Very odd.

I think it is because of your tattoo.

• Options
    I-m not a great lover of Knight, he's just above ok as a common tator but also know that Canters cant stand KP.
  • Options
    redman said:

any idea who BT have contracted to be the presenters and commentators?

Full list:

Michael Vaughan
    Graeme Swann
    Ricky Ponting
    Damien Fleming
    Geoffrey Boycott
    Adam Gilchrist
    Alison Mitchell
    Matt Smith

Have to admit that I enjoyed Ponting, Fleming and Gilchrist on the Big Bash so hoping that they will "give it large" to their English counterparts!
  • Options
    edited October 2017

redman said:

Full list:

Michael Vaughan
    Graeme Swann
    Ricky Ponting
    Damien Fleming
    Geoffrey Boycott
    Adam Gilchrist
    Alison Mitchell
    Matt Smith

Have to admit that I enjoyed Ponting, Fleming and Gilchrist on the Big Bash so hoping that they will "give it large" to their English counterparts!
    Oh god, Boycott and Fleming .
    I read somewhere that Ponting,Swann and Vaughan are staying in London. Matt Smith will no doubt do the studio fronting (apparently using one of the studios from the Olympic Stadium) - which leaves Boycott,Fleming,Gilchrist.Mitchell to do the at the ground commentating - don't sound right to me.
  • Options

redman said:

Full list:

Michael Vaughan
    Graeme Swann
    Ricky Ponting
    Damien Fleming
    Geoffrey Boycott
    Adam Gilchrist
    Alison Mitchell
    Matt Smith

I read somewhere that Ponting,Swann and Vaughan are staying in London. Matt Smith will no doubt do the studio fronting (apparently using one of the studios from the Olympic Stadium) - which leaves Boycott,Fleming,Gilchrist.Mitchell to do the at the ground commentating - don't sound right to me.
    Why would Ponting be in London, it's not as if he lives here?

Swann and Vaughan (plus Boycott and Mitchell) are part of the TMS team as well, so all should be in Australia for all or part of the series
  • Options
    What happened with Knight and KP?
  • Options
    Dear god Swann is Awful
  • Options

redman said:

Full list:

Michael Vaughan
    Graeme Swann
    Ricky Ponting
    Damien Fleming
    Geoffrey Boycott
    Adam Gilchrist
    Alison Mitchell
    Matt Smith

Why would Ponting be in London, it's not as if he lives here?

Swann and Vaughan (plus Boycott and Mitchell) are part of the TMS team as well, so all should be in Australia for all or part of the series
    Yeah, i didnt get that either, but the article explicitly said BT had managed to persuade Ponting to be in their Stratford studios.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    'BT Sport have got Ashes winning skipper Michael Vaughan and former off-spinner Graeme Swann on board and both are very comfortable in a studio, but the real coup is tempting Aussie legend Ricky Ponting to set up home in Stratford for part of the winter. '
  • Options

'BT Sport have got Ashes winning skipper Michael Vaughan and former off-spinner Graeme Swann on board and both are very comfortable in a studio, but the real coup is tempting Aussie legend Ricky Ponting to set up home in Stratford for part of the winter. '

That might have been the case for last winter - they wouldn't go out for the Big Bash - but this winter is surely different?
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Hmmm. maybe.
  • Options
    If Vaughan and Swann are both doing TMS then surely they will be out in Oz?
  • Options
    Aint it great that some people can get double bubble for watching the same game?
  • Options
    One thing that concerns me is that BT dont seem to be advertising what they are doing ( i could be wrong living abroad) - which leaves me to think they are doing the cheap option when they had a chance to make a statement.
  • Options
    Just got a feeling that BT may well have fucked up with this project and it’s not going to be a good earner for them.