Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

TV coverage of The Ashes?

Comments

• Options

But its still unclear if they will be taking the C9 Oz feed and just doing 'punditry' ala football or if they will be doing their own commentary ala Sky - if its the C9 feed, then they can stick it - i'm not sitting there listening to Ian Wanka Chappell all night.

anyone know?
  • Options

But its still unclear if they will be taking the C9 Oz feed and just doing 'punditry' ala football or if they will be doing their own commentary ala Sky - if its the C9 feed, then they can stick it - i'm not sitting there listening to Ian Wanka Chappell all night.

anyone know?
    I think it's the channel 9 feed, I've just gone through the BT Sport website and there is no mention of a commentary team, just Greg James in the studio with Vaughan, Swann and Ponting plus KP and Alison Mitchell providing pitch side analysis.
  • Options
    edited October 2017

anyone know?
    I think it's the channel 9 feed, I've just gone through the BT Sport website and there is no mention of a commentary team, just Greg James in the studio with Vaughan, Swann and Ponting plus KP and Alison Mitchell providing pitch side analysis.
    I think you're right, if there was a commentary team they would have been advertising it by now, the fact that its been kept quiet would indicate the C9 feed, which is going to have such an Oz bias with Ian Chappell amongst others saying that England are shit every other ball, that I'm gonna find it hard to watch. Sometimes you just have to put your hands up to Sky and say they are brilliant at their Cricket broadcasts.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

The Ashes should never have been allowed to leave terrestrial tv really poor decision by the ECB. How can you expect kids etc to get into the game if they cant bloody watch it!!

Terrestrial TV never once showed a minute of live action from England's tests abroad before Sky starting doing so...
    Yes they did!

The BBC showed the final day of the 4th Ashes Test from the MCG in the 1982/83 series live. We won! By just 3 runs when Thommo edged Botham to Tavare who parried the ball to Miller who took the catch. I stayed up and watched it all.
    Fair enough - just before my time that one. '85 series was the first Ashes series I remember.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

The Ashes should never have been allowed to leave terrestrial tv really poor decision by the ECB. How can you expect kids etc to get into the game if they cant bloody watch it!!

Terrestrial TV never once showed a minute of live action from England's tests abroad before Sky starting doing so...
    Yes they did!

The BBC showed the final day of the 4th Ashes Test from the MCG in the 1982/83 series live. We won! By just 3 runs when Thommo edged Botham to Tavare who parried the ball to Miller who took the catch. I stayed up and watched it all.
    I never realised that! I do remember listening to that in the radio though
  • Options
    I admire your dedication boys but you must be like zombies till its over!

it must be a lot easier with football as you know you're looking at two hours
  • Options

Do any of you guys stay up at night to watch it live?

Yes always.
  • Options
    If I remember correctly, it got fairly active on here overnight in the last Oz Ashes.
  • Options
    TBH, everyone if writing us off, but I don't think Oz are that much stronger, especially in the batting compartment. Get through Warner and Smith (bowl 4/5th stump to begin with, then leg stump with leg side field) and then its fairly thin. They don't have Haddin coming in at 7 this time to rescue them time after time like he did in the last series in Oz with his counter attacking.
  • Options
    It's their bowling and our batting im worried about.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    McBobbin said:

Agree their bowling is superior
  • Options

McBobbin said:

Agree their bowling is superior
    And these days home advantage is a massive factor. Other than 9/10? no team has won away in the Ashes since 2001!
  • Options
    glad a few of you like skys commentary team (not saying BT sport will be any better) but Lord Gower, Sir Botham and Nasser 'The Jinx' Hussain were really starting to bore me. Shane Warne making up words got on me nerves as well. Bumble and Athers were ok though.

channel 5 haven't got a great team but as its closer to TMS I found it a little more refreshing.
  • Options

glad a few of you like skys commentary team (not saying BT sport will be any better) but Lord Gower, Sir Botham and Nasser 'The Jinx' Hussain were really starting to bore me. Shane Warne making up words got on me nerves as well. Bumble and Athers were ok though.

channel 5 haven't got a great team but as its closer to TMS I found it a little more refreshing.

I think sky is great for cricket
  • Options
    Got no problem with BT Sport showing The Ashes but the coverage won't be as good if provided by channel 9.
  • Options

Got no problem with BT Sport showing The Ashes but the coverage won't be as good if provided by channel 9.

You can just imagine at the change of commentators, instead of 'and now, its Sir Ian Botham and Bumble Lloyd', its gonna be 'And now its Ian Chappell and Glenn Mcgrath'
    Feck that...Aussie wankas. BT should be roasted if thats the case.
  • Options

I think sky is great for cricket
    Sky have elevated cricket coverage to new levels. I think its brilliant.
  • Options
    So, in short, nobody knows the answer to the original question?!
  • Options
    edited October 2017

You can just imagine at the change of commentators, instead of 'and now, its Sir Ian Botham and Bumble Lloyd', its gonna be 'And now its Ian Chappell and Glenn Mcgrath'
    Feck that...Aussie wankas. BT should be roasted if thats the case.
    BT will be providing their own commentary. Pretty sure there is no choice than to accept C9's pictures but you don't have to have their sound.
  • Options
    Love Sky's coverage.

I think it's outstanding, and entertaining.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Love Sky's coverage.

Yes agreed. C4 started the ball rolling when they took over from BBC but Sky have taken it to another level. Thankfully they still have the home series'. I've had Sky since 1989.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Remember buying an earpiece FM radio for the 2006 ashes, so I could listen in bed without troubling the Mrs. Within seconds on the first ball finding second slip it was thrown on the floor and never listened to again

After printing 200 'ashes tour' tee shirts to flog down the backpackers around the country, it was at this precise moment I realised I'd lost a fair few quid!
  • Options

The coverage on channel 9 isn't too bad. Michael Slater is good as well as Shane Warne of course. Mark Nicholas is the anchor whether England are there or not. That pisses off my brother in law so that's a good thing!!! If they are losing it is terrific as in 2011 when they didn't know what to say or how to gloss it up. Let's hope for a similar series however unlikely. I will be in Adelaide for three days and Sydney for three days so hoping for a miracle. I already have five cases of beer on the line so the stakes are high!!

if you lose just buy him fosters
  • Options

The coverage on channel 9 isn't too bad. Michael Slater is good as well as Shane Warne of course. Mark Nicholas is the anchor whether England are there or not. That pisses off my brother in law so that's a good thing!!! If they are losing it is terrific as in 2011 when they didn't know what to say or how to gloss it up. Let's hope for a similar series however unlikely. I will be in Adelaide for three days and Sydney for three days so hoping for a miracle. I already have five cases of beer on the line so the stakes are high!!

I may as well buy shares in brewery's the amount of beer I've handed out over the years!
  • Options
    Remember the days when they only had cameras at one end ?
  • Options
    If everything else in cricket went back to the way it was when there was only a camera at one end I'd take it.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

If everything else in cricket went back to the way it was when there was only a camera at one end I'd take it.

No way.coverage is so much better now
  • Options

Riviera said:

No way.coverage is so much better now
    I think you missed my point.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Love Sky's coverage.

Yes agreed. C4 started the ball rolling when they took over from BBC but Sky have taken it to another level. Thankfully they still have the home series'. I've had Sky since 1989.
    I don't entirely get the Sky love, to me most of the main advances happened during the C4 period. I prefer the TMS/C5 commentators anyway