Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v AFC Wimbledon post-match views 28/10/17

Comments

• They were a very poor footballing side, made it difficult for us. Good ugly 3 points. Their 33 was up there with the worst footballers I have ever seen, including Mike Small.
  • We never looked like losing this one and were definitely the better team.

Loved the support from all sides of the ground.

Big Mag looks tired.
  • Quite a surreal day for me today. I would have been at The Valley today as always (with my sons) but here I am reading the post match views from my apartment on a 'compound' in Riyadh after arriving late last night!

Glad it was a positive result though of course, and I have already started to fly the Addicks flag from afar!! Going to be hard to get my head around not going regularly, home and away.
  • Not great, needed to move the ball quicker. Wimbledon defended from the front. One piece of quality won it for us.
  • Winning Ugly they call it. (c) Brad Gilbert.

Fine with me - I just want out of this league.
  • CHG said:

They were a very poor footballing side, made it difficult for us. Good ugly 3 points. Their 33 was up there with the worst footballers I have ever seen, including Mike Small.

Hat trick last week...
  • Leuth said:

CHG said:

They were a very poor footballing side, made it difficult for us. Good ugly 3 points. Their 33 was up there with the worst footballers I have ever seen, including Mike Small.

Hat trick last week...
    Bloody hell, he was awful today. Really awful.
  • Leuth said:

CHG said:

Hat trick last week...
    3 goals in 13 games, where was the hat trick, they must have been shocking?
  • CHG said:

Leuth said:

CHG said:

Hat trick last week...
    I do think part of that was Bauer though. His positioning for high balls was spot on and their 33 never got near it. As soon as he shifted over to Dasilva Robinson brought on Sarr as well which must have been demoralising
  • Sponsored links:

• CHG said:

Leuth said:

CHG said:

Hat trick last week...
    I do think part of that was Bauer though. His positioning for high balls was spot on and their 33 never got near it. As soon as he shifted over to Dasilva Robinson brought on Sarr as well which must have been demoralising
    Agreed, thought Bauer was great today. Just thought he (AFC33) was really poor on the deck, in the air, when he dropped deep on 50 mins when they were playing for 0-0, he may as well not have been playing.
  • Right ol slog but delighted with the points.
  • SDAddick said:

Stig said:

Top of the form table!

Screenshot 2017-10-28 17.22.30

That's encouraging, especially as we haven't played particularly well for the majority of those games
    Perhaps the best attacking performance in that was Oxford away 1-1.

Sorry just realized that includes Fleetwood I believe, so second best attacking performance.
    That first draw came against Bury didnt it...?

Other than a sloppy 30mins against them we absolutely bossed that game and it was only Murphy the 'keeper that stopped us winning about 3-1
    I *think* so. See earlier post re: fever dream.

But yes, I agree, had a poor 30 minutes against Bury where we started slowly and they scored a worldy (Beckford curler), and then we battered them. And the other draw was Oxford. Two performanes where we were good going forward and didn't take our chances.

Wanted to pick up on a couple things:
    @Clem_Snide pointed out rightly that Wimbledon are very good at those little "tactical" fouls where they break up play and momentum. Bury did that as well and we struggled to break them down. Here, we found a way, AND never really looked like conceding and both of those should be seen as huge positives.

@seth plum makes the really good point that we're just entering a part of the season where grinding out wins will be hugely important. It's that weird period where we don't play in the league for a couple weeks due to international breaks or cups, then play 3 times in a week. So getting wins by any measure is key. Keeping it tight at the back will be huge for us, as we have the players who have the ability to produce that moment of quality it takes to score.

I'm with @Henry Irving, I believe.

• We can't keep relying on Fosu, Holmes and JFC to score from midfield

Whilst I agree and we all know we're short of cover for josh, I think this at least partly one of the benefits of the system were playing
  • Wimbledon were clearly set up to frustrate, timewaste and try and nick a goal from a set piece. They were poor, but without Holmes' magic they'd have succeeded; we have to be putting a number on a team like this sooner rather than later.

Fosu was poor. His style is perfect for away games (running off pressure, drawing free kicks etc) but he had little space to work with today and suffered as a result. When Marshall came on he rectified this immediately, releasing the ball earlier to unmarked men.

Ricky Holmes wasn't great but he still ran his socks off and scored a beauty to win us the game. A real gem.

Bauer is really maturing this season. Offers a goal threat, go forward, passing ability and excellent defensive play. To shut out Bradford away and then completely nullify Wimbledon today is a credit to him and the rest of the defence.

Kashi is intelligent. Chap.

Poor old Josh Magennis. Not a moments rest all season and then expected to battle against three dirty Wimbledon defenders for ninety minutes. Could do with that backup striker to send on for the final twenty.

Ben Amos has proved he's an excellent shot stopper but his distribution is not on the same level, and the game Robinson wants to play it's a problem. Hopefully that improves over the season.

On Robinson, I do like him. I think he quietly enjoyed the fact all the attention from the terraces was on him today. Wimbledon fans lacked class. Meh.

All in all a good win and three points is three points. Some excellent opportunities in the next three games for the fringe players to impress and cause some headaches before Scunthorpe.
  • Thought Wimbledon were dirty and anti football, although their number 4 looked decent.

Holmes my MOTM. Never stopped running and chasing. Felt Clarke was unlucky to go off. Disliked some of Fosu's play. Should've fed Magennis in the first half. Felt like "play ground" decisions from him at times. But then at other times he was very good and looked a cut above.

Solly seemed a bit cautious. Dasilva good, but not electric. JFC steady. Kashi decent. Felt for Magennis - needs more chances creating for him. Centre backs ok. Amos ok, but some wayward kicking, but not always his fault due to pressure put on him.

Cracking goal.

Overall-thought the lads battled hard against a rough team, so can't complain.
  • A sumptuous goal by Ricky Holmes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Poor game, only the three points made the 260-mile, 6-hour round trip worth it.

Charlton's attacking moves appeared to fall down for one of four reasons:

- player with ball taking too many touches and running up a blind alley;
    - over-hit pass or cross;
    - cynical fouling by the oppo;
    - CockWombles player going down "injured".

Throw in some awful timewasting from the visitors prior to the goal and you have one of the worst matches of the season so far.

Great goal by Holmes who seems intent on having his own Goal Of The Season competition.

Marshall chipped in with a very promising 20-minute appearance at the end, maybe his emergence can allow Clarko to have a rest.
  • SDAddick said:

I've been ill for the past few days so not entirely sure if that match and all of you are a fever dream. But I like writing lengthy football-related things in my dreams anyway so sod it.

Good win. We controlled the game a lot more in the second half, and when you chip away at teams you're going to cause them to make mistakes. Like fouling you inside the box. Twice.

Unfortunately we didn't get either of those but still had a real moment of magic from Ricky.

Earlier this season, especially with Pearce in the side, we struggled against teams that pressed us high up the pitch, which surprised me. Since he's dropped out, and I don't think it's just down to him, fewer teams have done that to us. Wimbledon, sitting deep and defending and then trying to go direct, are the type of team I thought we'd struggle against. Every time we looked like we were building up momentum they'd give us a kick. That's how they play. They weren't afraid to give away free kicks because they're such a massive side.

Today it was that little bit of quality that got us over the line. And after going 1-0 up, I don't think we conceded a chance.

Really hope those Premier League scouts haven't been watching Konsa the last two games. He has been absolutely brilliant.

Hope it was nothing too serious and that you're right as rain again.
  • Poor game, only the three points made the 260-mile, 6-hour round trip worth it.

Charlton's attacking moves appeared to fall down for one of four reasons:

- player with ball taking too many touches and running up a blind alley;
    - over-hit pass or cross;
    - cynical fouling by the oppo;
    - CockWombles player going down "injured".

Throw in some awful timewasting from the visitors prior to the goal and you have one of the worst matches of the season so far.

Great goal by Holmes who seems intent on having his own Goal Of The Season competition.

Marshall chipped in with a very promising 20-minute appearance at the end, maybe his emergence can allow Clarko to have a rest.

Not sure Marshall's been brought in to provide cover. He'll be a starter as soon as he's fit.
  • Dull game , as Wimbledon , with I’m sure a budget of less than half of ours , came and did what these type of teams will do in this pub league and tried to grind out a result .
    I think some of our fans would like them to try and play attractive expansive football and lay down and die for us , weirdos .

Oh Ricky, you're so fine
    You're so fine you blow my mind, hey Ricky,
    Hey Ricky
    Oh Ricky, you're so fine
    Hey Ricky
    Oh Ricky , you're so fine
    Hey Ricky
    Oh Ricky, you're so fine
    Hey Ricky!

Love his attitude, he just wants it soooo much .

What are the lyrics to the something wonderful song we were whispering singing , I was sat in the family stand and could hardly hear it !
    What were the wombles fan singing about Karl ?

20% Automatic promotion ........55% Play offs ........... 25% 7th-12th

100% Roland Out
  • Only the 3rd game I've seen this season and have a one hundred percent win record, but was not impressed with yesterday. Both keepers hardly had anything to do, lot of hard endeavor, but not much ruthlessness in front of goal bar a bit of magic from Holmes.

However 30 points from 15 games is top 2 form, and keep that up then automatic promotion will be achieved. If we don't go up then Robinson will be looking for new employment
  • Spoke to Richard Murray after the game by the ticket office, we agreed it was going to take a bit of magic to win it, we disagreed about the penalty (Ricky Holmes) I thought it was just outside as I was directly inline with it in the covered end, he said it reminded him of CP’s promotion season, not playing well but still winning.
  • edited October 2017
    More importantly @DA9 did you ask Muzza who the new owners are and if they'll be in charge by the turn of the year :wink:
  • RedChaser said:

More importantly @DA9 did you ask Muzza who the new owners are and if they'll be in charge by the turn of the year :wink:

Lol, my pal asked me that back in the lib club, got the feeling he thought that was the next question and disappeared quickly into the players entrance doors, got to say, after hearing he was ill recently, he looked well
  • DA9 said:

RedChaser said:

Lol, my pal asked me that back in the lib club, got the feeling he thought that was the next question and disappeared quickly into the players entrance doors, got to say, after hearing he was ill recently, he looked well
    That's good to hear wouldn't wish his health issues on my worst enemy, not that I have any mind. Perhaps he's also in a good place with the future of his £2m+ loan and a continuing seat at the top table :wink: .
  • RedChaser said:

DA9 said:

RedChaser said:

That's good to hear wouldn't wish his health issues on my worst enemy, not that I have any mind. Perhaps he's also in a good place with the future of his £2m+ loan and a continuing seat at the top table :wink: .
    Let’s hope so