Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v AFC Wimbledon post-match views 28/10/17

123457»

Comments

• I don't know about every body else but this is my take on it.
    Whenever we lose I go home feeling pissed off even if its a 4.3 thriller.
    Whenever we win I go home happy even if it was a shite game like yesterday.
    You do not get success by losing exciting games but you do by winning boring games.

This season is all about gaining promotion anything else is a bonus.
    Apart from Roland selling of course

I'm probably different to 95% of fans.
    The wife never has a clue if we've won or lost.
    At the moment were getting the wins over the line.
    Hopefully won't have to Blackpool,
    But if a game like yesterday later in the season ends up 0-0 Will give this thread a bump
  • Amos: shaky like the start of the season
    Solly: decent throughout
    Bauer: see Solly
    Konsa: defensively ok but passing & distribution dodgy
    DaSilva: head & shoulders above everybody
    Kashi: indispensable defensively best passer in the squad New Contract imperative
    Fosu-Henry: another who reverted to his August form never found a pass and repeatedly switched off
    Forster-Caskey: quietly effective apart from dead balls which stank
    Clarke: most effective attacker despite mostly playing out of position Architect of the period of pressure which eventually brought goal Gobby gave him the hook anyway Bizarre
    Holmes: effort energy and miscommunication with colleagues
    Magennis: tireless despite zero service this guy warrants a big new contract too

Gobby: game won despite his utter fucktard dogma sticking to his singular plan A. All 3 attacking mids out of their best positions Clarke has hot spell in the middle dons look suddenly vulnerable so the FSG takes him off and puts lefty Marshall on the right. Ricky “earned” the fk and got the lush scouse muppet out of jail This prick has learned not one thing about his squad in 3 months watching games but still he is but a minor problem for the club as a whole

WAFW

• edited October 2017
    masicat said:

Amos: shaky like the start of the season
    Solly: decent throughout
    Bauer: see Solly
    Konsa: defensively ok but passing & distribution dodgy
    DaSilva: head & shoulders above everybody
    Kashi: indispensable defensively best passer in the squad New Contract imperative
    Fosu-Henry: another who reverted to his August form never found a pass and repeatedly switched off
    Forster-Caskey: quietly effective apart from dead balls which stank
    Clarke: most effective attacker despite mostly playing out of position Architect of the period of pressure which eventually brought goal Gobby gave him the hook anyway Bizarre
    Holmes: effort energy and miscommunication with colleagues
    Magennis: tireless despite zero service this guy warrants a big new contract too

Gobby: game won despite his utter fucktard dogma sticking to his singular plan A. All 3 attacking mids out of their best positions Clarke has hot spell in the middle dons look suddenly vulnerable so the FSG takes him off and puts lefty Marshall on the right. Ricky “earned” the fk and got the lush scouse muppet out of jail This prick has learned not one thing about his squad in 3 months watching games but still he is but a minor problem for the club as a whole

WAFW

World academy for the future of women
  • when do the tickets for shrewsbury go on sale? will we postpone the game cos of international duties for magennis, konsa and jay dasilva?

Hopefully. Or at least, if one is called up hopefully all three will be called up.
  • Watched on the stream

First ten minutes was end to end, corners and loads of action.

Then the stream switched back from the Accrington vs Barnet game and to the Valley, and it was a lot more attritional.

Wimbledon set out to do a job on us, and it nearly worked.

Did their keeper forget that he had 2 hands on Ricky's goal?

Regardless of the performance, an excellent 3 points.
  • I think Wimbledon could still be out there playing now and wouldn't have scored, they were the worst team I've seen at the valley this year by a distance. The standard of referees in league 1 seems to get worse year on year the referee was utterly clueless
  • Don't be fooled by the result. I write this to our good Lifers in California, Australia, Thailand, and many others elsewhere across the globe, not there at The Valley.

We were appalling yesterday – utterly appalling. We pass sideways like terrified crabs, then back to Amos – who shanks the ball in to Row Z. Good teams come out fighting at kick-off, adrenalin pumping, battering the opposition, accurate and visceral, slicing the jugular of the enemy.

We, however, make tentative moves. After you, Claude – who is stunned by the very presence of the ball – and pussy-foots a pass somewhere vague. Sideways and backwards. At half-time, we in the Covered End looked at each other with disbelief. In the whole 45 minutes we had fashioned one single shot at goal – Fosu, stumbled and wide.

A fat guy waddles on the pitch and SHOUTS at the Covered End as if we are recalcitrant children. A poor bloke from Bexleyheath steps up for The Crossbar Challenge. He hoofs it miles over the bar. This is patronising and demeaning. The fat guy opens an envelope, gives him two tickets for the next game, shouts again, and waddles off, bird in heels wielding a clipboard.

We want the opera singer, diva in in black gown and pearls, serenading us in the Covered End, the promotion party in 2012. The game when Yann Kermorgant, ball over shoulder, hammered a volley, obliquely, to send us to delirium.

Robinson will give them a rocket. We will come out fighting.

Yet, the second half yesterday was even worse.

It was utterly, hopelessly, pedestrian. Our misplaced passes, casual and unthinking. Hospital passes from here to there. When Konsa has the ball, approaching the halfway-line, we all know he will lose possession.

Bauer was superb, nodding balls three yards from danger to easy space for our men to collect and advance. He didn't hoof to Row Z or clatter his opponent. Bauer rose above them all, literally and metaphorically. Those three yards are crucial: the ball is here: you are free, the space is gloriously vacant – do something with it.

Yet – our midfield players have no spatial awareness or technical skills: they are stilted men. And no muscle, either. We were pushed off the ball by Wimbledon. They nudged Forster-Caskey, brushed him aside, walked past Clarke. By-passed Kashi. Our midfield is vapid.

Here is a vignette: ball flies left to right: Solly controls in acres of space, looks up for a willing runner – and two defenders ambush him, seize possession. Solly was looking for a striker who is isn't there. In that fraction of a second, we are on the back foot, skinned.

Holmes burst the net: it was ecstatic. Yet – three minutes later he had a similar free-kick, on the edge of the box. Stadium falls silent, all pregnant with anticipation. Poplars wave beyond the stand. Clouds shift, planes cross. London breathes in and out.

Holmes steps up – and hammers it against the wall. From which Wimbledon scampered away, by-passing our puffing midfield, and skimmed the bar. My neighbour in the Covered End put his head in his hands: “What the fuck are we doing?”

Yet sitting here at the start of the long Perth summer, this is exactly what I'm nostalgically and tearfully yearning for...
  • Got to love the views which seem.to be written purely so they can be copied,pasted and held to be representative of CL elsewhere. I love reading those views almost as much as the republic of North Korea likes highlighting them.
  • its very easy for the away team to set up against us at home as you know 4 weeks in advance what our tactics are going to be ...we played or were allowed to play with more freedom once we scored the goal ..thought wimbledon were poor and brought us down to their level .thought big Mag looked tired and off the pace ...if we are to go up automatically we need 2 more decent striking options on the bench

enjoyed the game though although i have seen a lot better
  • Sponsored links:

• Thought Marshall looked very lively when he came on, looking forward to seeing him start soon.

I suspect he'll start our next league match, and I think he'll give our season a real lift.

He may well prove to be our best attacking player. He looks up while he's dribbling which Ricky and Tarique tend not to.

He's also worth watching when not on the ball. He charges forward with intent, and make good runs. Go Marshy!
  • That keeping is terrible, he misses a clear uncontested punch and it goes over his head!
  • I think Wimbledon could still be out there playing now and wouldn't have scored, they were the worst team I've seen at the valley this year by a distance. The standard of referees in league 1 seems to get worse year on year the referee was utterly clueless

Agree about refs in general but I thought saturday’s ref was excellent.
    I very rarely comment on a decent refereeing performance but actually did so after Saturday's match.

Thought he was excellent, especially for us and didn't miss much at all.
  • ross1 said:

What a beaut!

... and we've got 7 different angles of it #cafc

The more times I see that the worse it looks for their goalie. Stand still put your hands up together and the ball can't go in the net. Or: jig about dodge a bit left and duck down = bingo 1 nil Charlton. Maybe he'd been bored to distraction by having absolutely nothing to do. No matter they all count, poor side defeated, blah blah, cliche cliche... Gobby's quote "...won't be watching that one back..." Really? FFS! That's as valuable a watch as any - lots to learn there pal. Leopards and spots come to mind.
  • Charlton have made the fourth-best start to a league season in their history - after 1985-86, 1999-00 & 2011-12. In all three seasons they have made a better start, they have gone on to be promoted that season.
  • ross1 said:

Charlton have made the fourth-best start to a league season in their history - after 1985-86, 1999-00 & 2011-12. In all three seasons they have made a better start, they have gone on to be promoted that season.

In those 3 seasons we went automatically. As we haven't bettered them, I expect only a play-off place. Just hope is resembles the 97/98 season and not the others.
  • Poor game, only the three points made the 260-mile, 6-hour round trip worth it.

Charlton's attacking moves appeared to fall down for one of four reasons:

- player with ball taking too many touches and running up a blind alley;
    - over-hit pass or cross;
    - cynical fouling by the oppo;
    - CockWombles player going down "injured".

Throw in some awful timewasting from the visitors prior to the goal and you have one of the worst matches of the season so far.

Great goal by Holmes who seems intent on having his own Goal Of The Season competition.

Marshall chipped in with a very promising 20-minute appearance at the end, maybe his emergence can allow Clarko to have a rest.

Where do you travel from? Bristol? If so, did you have fat finger syndrome when you typed in your user name? :-)
    No, Briston. It's a small village in North Norfolk.
    @Briston_Addick you got a 'like' for being very restrained with your reply.
  • Sponsored links:

• Brixton Addick, lovely little village been there a few times not that far away from RAF Marham.

It's probably a couple of hundred years since Brixton was a 'lovely little village'.
  • edited October 2017
    ross1 said:

What a beaut!

... and we've got 7 different angles of it #cafc

Seven views of what looked like poor goalkeeping and the bloke on the back post wondering "what the fuck happened there'.
  • pertinent quote (of the week no less) from Robinson in yesterday's 'Times' newspaper ..'I tell you what, I watch all our games back. I will not watch that game again' .. ((:>)