Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Alan Curbishley myth needs to stop!

Comments

• Options

Scoham said:

To me the first 4 paragraphs of that article sum up pretty accurately what happened, from reading things from back then. Honestly, there seems to be a new kind of myth emerging... that no one wanted Curbs to leave.

No one is claiming that no one wanted him to go - the myth is that he was hounded out by an angry majority that thought we needed someone better to take us to the next level.

He was supported by a less vocal/silent majority.
    Just skimming through but haven't seen it anywhere about the majority wanting him out. In fact yours is possibly the first I've read trying to suggest a majority myth.

It's without doubt that there was at that time a vocal element that wanted Curbs out
    I'm not just talking about this article, I've seen various over the last few years plus comments from journalists and football fans on Twitter.

Fair enough, this one doesn't specifically say majority. However my point really was that whatever way it's worded people believe he was sacked or resigned following significant pressure on him and/or the board.

While it's true some wanted him to go it wasn't a group of fans that caused it to happen.
  • Options
    Some people did....but yet some people stick up for the regime or they stuck up for them well past the "they are clearly mad" date.

Some people.

Some people are morons.

That includes charlton fans.

I wouldn't call the minority of our supporters that wanted curbs gone morons.

I would just say that those people lack a certain rational...foreword thinking and balanced objective mindset.

It's just also an opinion.

• Options

iainment said:

I remember telling my son to cherish those years as they might be the best it'll ever get.
    So sad that I was right.

Whilst the good days seem a lifetime ago we are only 2 great seasons (or even 1.5 depending on how this one pans out) from a return to the top flight where anything can happen.

With our current team, the spirit and league position we could be nearer to a return to that than we have been since the previous owners, particularly if we get new owners who have funds and ambition football- wise.

I wouldn't know as the current owners led me to decide I wasn't returning until they go.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Fair enough
  • Options

iainment said:

I remember telling my son to cherish those years as they might be the best it'll ever get.
    So sad that I was right.

Whilst the good days seem a lifetime ago we are only 2 great seasons (or even 1.5 depending on how this one pans out) from a return to the top flight where anything can happen.

With our current team, the spirit and league position we could be nearer to a return to that than we have been since the previous owners, particularly if we get new owners who have funds and ambition football- wise.

And that is the correct attitude.
    Whilst I hate to see what has happened to my club since the departure of Curbs, I do like to have a bit of hope. Success is always a little bit sweeter when it’s not handed out on a plate.
  • Options
    iainment said:

iainment said:

So sad that I was right.

I wouldn't know as the current owners led me to decide I wasn't returning until they go.
    Well at least you (or I ) won't miss any of our premiership games while this shower are in charge
  • Options
    Some did.

But Murray made the decision, and I doubt the view of a minority of support held much sway in that.

And he's been trying to right that wrong for the last ten years.
    It is,imo , why he won't walk away.
  • Options
    I've always called him The Real Sir Alan as of 2003 onwards. May have been later than that but was a reference to Alan Sugar on the Apprentice being called Sir Alan at the time.

I wish these journalists and pundits would stop this nonsense too. Has The Real Sir Alan put any of these myths to bed himself?
  • Options
    I seem to remember many saying Curbs has done all he can with Charlton. This was back in the 'Your Views' days though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

I seem to remember many saying Curbs has done all he can with Charlton. This was back in the 'Your Views' days though.

Well maybe he had. Season after season of not competing February onwards. Unable to inspire his teams to perform once safety had been assured. No progress in cups, league or FA except for the 1/4 in his last season when he failed to inspire his team to beat a very average Boro at home. If he had, Charlton could well have been in the UEFA Cup the next season.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Riviera said:

Dazzler21 said:

Well maybe he had. Season after season of not competing February onwards. Unable to inspire his teams to perform once safety had been assured. No progress in cups, league or FA except for the 1/4 in his last season when he failed to inspire his team to beat a very average Boro at home. If he had, Charlton could well have been in the UEFA Cup the next season.
    Sssssh...... The majority on here don't wish to remember this part of the Curbs era. I believe the Boro quarter final was his true turning point ! We took 10,000 to Boro, and he send out a team that just looked like he had told them not to bother. It was the cup and he was not interested, and if that was how he felt the Feck the fans ! He ran the club, not them.

As said his departure wasn't the problem, it was the disasterous replacement and subsequent appointments that did the damage. However, was and remains a legend, but flawless and in no way responsible for his own departure ! Think the rose tinted glasses are on.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Operation Riverside Raplh, got the T shirt. Long way to go and back albeit free coach travel IIRC, to witness a capitulation, that was.
  • Options
    Hindsight is fucking brilliant. I love the clarity of it, the unfailing perspective.

I have nothing but admiration for people who have it in such abundance.
  • Options
    With the passage of time impossible to prove now but it would not surprise me if one fan on something like TalkSport had said words to the effect that Curbs had taken Charlton as far as he could and that it got picked up for discussion in the show and then snowballed. Once journalists pick up on a 'story' then, well, surprise surprise it can easily escalate into something like 'Charlton fans want Curbishley to go'. The exact number of fans who felt that way will never be known - I felt and sensed and the time that it was a minority and in any event Curbs was not forced out by the fans - there were other more significant factors in play.

It is a source of annoyance though that myth can become 'fact' in this way and then be churned out year after year because journalists will not do their homework.

• Options
    i don't think we should accept anything less than a billionaire Charlton fan, Varney as CEO, Curbishly as director of football, Powell as manager, kermogant as lead striker/coach, Jackson and Solly as Charlton leaders, konsa, djiksteel and Aribo as vice captains.

Oh and also katrien, Tony and Roland leaving and ridding the club of their unfortunately noxious presence

Maybe that's just me that last bit
  • Options
    edited November 2017

Hindsight is fucking brilliant. I love the clarity of it, the unfailing perspective.

Well TBF, to me, I'll think you'll find I said what I've said on here many times and at the time! Of course all this was pre-CL and my posts were on Nettaddicks. Len Glover and Henry Irving amongst others will testify that. Henry actually banned me from Nettaddicks for saying that CAFC will remain a "sh**ty little club" if they cannot show ambition, I posted that in December 2005 after a lacklustre performance at home stopped us going 2nd or 3rd in the Prem at Christmas. I wanted CAFC to go to the next level. If you don't have ambition in sport then why play? I really don't understand those who would prefer to be a mid-table mediocre club that simply stays in the Prem at the expense of trying to compete with the top teams
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Well TBF, to me, I'll think you'll find I said what I've said on here many times and at the time! Of course all this was pre-CL and my posts were on Nettaddicks. Len Glover and Henry Irving amongst others will testify that. Henry actually banned me from Nettaddicks for saying that CAFC will remain a "sh**ty little club" if they cannot show ambition, I posted that in December 2005 after a lacklustre performance at home stopped us going 2nd or 3rd in the Prem at Christmas. I wanted CAFC to go to the next level. If you don't have ambition in sport then why play? I really don't understand those who would prefer to be a mid-table mediocre club that simply stays in the Prem at the expense of trying to compete with the top teams
    Sorry mate, not targeted at you particularly.
  • Options

Riviera said:

Sorry mate, not targeted at you particularly.
    No worries.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Saying he’d got us as far as he could and wanting him gone are two totally different t things.

He probably had got us as far as he could , didn’t mean we thought anyone else could get us further though.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    rose.jpg 100.2K
  • Options

There was no next level to reach us being in the prem was a as good as it was ever going to get

This is actually true, but most people ever accept such realities as that. If we got back to 8th and then dropped to 14th, I am pretty sure everyone would call for the manager's head or claim we "lack ambition."

Charlton finishing 8th would be equal in impressiveness as Tottenham winning the Champions League. No matter what we do, we cannot compete over time with the big 6, for the following reasons.

1. We don't have a large enough stadium. Even in our peak year we were 14th in EPL attendance, at 26,000 per match. That will not get the job done, as we will be many, many millions per year of lower revenues and thus, less to spend on bringing in (or keeping) talent.

2. We would not have the endorsements. ManU signed a 700 million endorsement deal? Yeah, our whole turnover would not be more than 120 million in the EPL, even with TV money. Again, we would not have the wages to compete.

3. FFP. Perhaps big clubs get away flouting the rules, but we would not.

I would be very impressed if we got back to the EPL and were mid-table again. It would be very hard to do.
  • Options

There was no next level to reach us being in the prem was a as good as it was ever going to get

This is actually true, but most people ever accept such realities as that. If we got back to 8th and then dropped to 14th, I am pretty sure everyone would call for the manager's head or claim we "lack ambition."

Charlton finishing 8th would be equal in impressiveness as Tottenham winning the Champions League. No matter what we do, we cannot compete over time with the big 6, for the following reasons.

1. We don't have a large enough stadium. Even in our peak year we were 14th in EPL attendance, at 26,000 per match. That will not get the job done, as we will be many, many millions per year of lower revenues and thus, less to spend on bringing in (or keeping) talent.

2. We would not have the endorsements. ManU signed a 700 million endorsement deal? Yeah, our whole turnover would not be more than 120 million in the EPL, even with TV money. Again, we would not have the wages to compete.

3. FFP. Perhaps big clubs get away flouting the rules, but we would not.

I would be very impressed if we got back to the EPL and were mid-table again. It would be very hard to do.
    West Brom don’t even manage 26,000 now. Them, Watford, Burnley, Brighton etc seem to be doing ok with their lower attendances. There’s no reason why if we eventually got back up we couldn’t get to mid-table.
  • Options

.....And then Leicester came along.
  • Options
    More people wanted Chris Powell out than Curbishley.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    From the research I've been doing it seems there was genuine shock when Jimmy Seed (bear with me) was sacked [after 23 1/2 years], but I'm quite sure that there would have been a small vocal minority spouting off in pubs that he had to go after the poor start to the 56/7 season. The difference is - the internet.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    I take you banned 'Kelvin' from CL then boss or is @i_b_b_o_r_g still looking into it :wink: