Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CARD announces plan for tribute to Valley campaigners at 25th anniversary match

124»

Comments

• Options
    Addickted said:

aliwibble said:

Addickted said:

HarryLime said:

Are they going to sign the papers for the sale of the club on the pitch pre-match. Then jump into an awaiting helicopter and depart Saigon style at the end of the Vietnam War?

Are ground to air missiles easily available on E Bay?
    Careful Addickted, you don't want our friends from the Met to demonstrate another sense of humour failure.
    I'd love to see them take ne to court on that one.
    I think you're probably safe unless you _have_ been searching for ground to air missiles for sale, in which case you're probably on a different type of watch list already :-)
  • Options
    I think I've still got my 1990 valley party rosette in the loft. Have to have a look. :)
  • Options

cafcwill said:

Any chance of a few rosettes being posted up north to us Manchester Addicks?

And Yorkshire
    And Cheshire!!
  • Options
    What a great idea. I still have a 1940s red and white rosette (was it from the FA Cup win?) at home, and would love to add one one of these to the family memorabilia collection.
  • Options

Mametz said:

boggzy said:

Curb_It said:

Cant the boycotters please come back for this match?
    Please?

Absolutely not sadly. Not until this cancer has gone.

Very sad as I was there in the Covered End on the day itself.

If he sells up completely what a shame he didn't do it before that date. Now what a party that would have been.

It'll be a a damned good party anyway, mind.

Curb_It said:

Cant the boycotters please come back for this match?
    Please?

Not if you paid me.
    While I admire your stance this is our day, not the Belgians, not Robinson’s but ours.
    It would be good to show them how it could be.
    Have a think about it.
    Unfortunately it would mean paying the bastards money for "our day". So....no!
    Ditto
    And me.
  • Options

I think I've still got my 1990 valley party rosette in the loft. Have to have a look. :)

When it should be in a museum
  • Options
    CARD said:

The Coalition Against Roland Duchatelet (CARD) is to distribute thousands of red-and-white rosettes to fans attending Charlton’s home fixture against Portsmouth on December 9th, which marks the 25th anniversary of the club’s return to The Valley.

The rosettes are to celebrate the part played by fans in the re-opening of the SE7 stadium, and particularly the role of the Valley Party, whose 60 candidates amassed nearly 15,000 votes in the 1990 local elections, changing Greenwich Council policy in the process.

The club’s then directors wore red and white rosettes when the first match back, also against Portsmouth, took place on December 5th, 1992. Charlton had played at Crystal Palace’s Selhurst Park and West Ham United’s Upton Park since 1985.

A CARD spokesperson said: “Charlton fans are rightly proud of everything they did to overturn the decision of the club’s then owner to move the club to Selhurst Park in 1985.

“It’s no surprise that the present regime has been reluctant to acknowledge the fans’ contribution, given the parallel with the current situation where the vast majority of fans are once more opposed to the owner and want him out.

“No one involved in the Valley campaign was invited on to the organising committee set up many months ago to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the return.

“The club failed to mention the 25th anniversary of the Valley Party election at the time, despite being reminded, and chief executive Katrien Meire even tried to stop it being marked with a short speech at the 2015 player of the year, an event organised by supporters and held on the exact date.

The spokesperson continued: “We know that the Fans’ Forum has had an opportunity to make its own representations over the December 9th celebrations this week – just 12 days before the game - and, very belatedly, we understand that the club is showing signs of a more collaborative approach, which we welcome.

“However, the Valley Party was not a club initiative, so it is not appropriate that it should be left to the club to decide how or whether it should be celebrated, least of all when the chief executive is on record as saying that she didn’t care about the club’s history.

“By wearing red-and-white rosettes on December 9th, Charlton fans can make sure that supporters take their proper place at the heart of the celebrations – a visible tribute to the Valley Party campaigners, the volunteers who worked on the ground to get it ready in time, those who paid into the Valley Investment Plan to help fund it, and, of course, the 1992 directors.

“At the same time, rosettes are a traditional symbol of support for a football team, as well as a feature of elections, so we believe this is a positive initiative and that they will add to the occasion for everyone - hopefully with the same outcome on the pitch as 25 years ago.”

Very diverse.
  • Options
    I'm very torn on this one, my last game having been Northampton away last season.
    But Idle jr fancies it, so I think I'll be digging out my original Back to the Valley shirt and telling myself that after VAT and charitable donation there won't be much left for that Belgian fecker anyway.
    See you next week.
  • Options
    edited December 2017

The price of the shirt is absolutely criminal

Pelling old chap, the cost of such a small run is very high.......the profit margin will be very tight.
    I agree it’s expensive but I don’t see a rip off here.
    Yet fans produced only 1,000 or so protest shirts and sold them for £25 each and still had several £k to donate to charity...
    Lot of difference between both quality and materials Weegie.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well done Card. Can't make an exception by attending as in Belgium that weekend. Save a rosette for me please?
  • Options

The price of the shirt is absolutely criminal

Pelling old chap, the cost of such a small run is very high.......the profit margin will be very tight.
    I agree it’s expensive but I don’t see a rip off here.
    Yet fans produced only 1,000 or so protest shirts and sold them for £25 each and still had several £k to donate to charity...
    Unfair on the £75 shirt when you haven't had the chance to compare them side by side yet.

• Options
    Just a thought but it may be appropriate for the ‘Roland and Katrien time to go’ banner to make an appearance in the near future.
  • Options
    I have posted this elsewhere - as 9 th is a game that is important to all Charlton fans an element of the celebrations should be a continuation of the protests against RD and KM. emphasising they are not part of our celebrations of our history.
  • Options
    edited December 2017

Just a thought but it may be appropriate for the ‘Roland and Katrien time to go’ banner to make an appearance in the near future.

• Options
    Doh!
  • Options

Well done Card. Can't make an exception by attending as in Belgium that weekend. Save a rosette for me please?

Protesting???
  • Options

Nothing like three-times-the-price difference!