Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2018 PDC World Darts Championship

Comments

• Options
    Crazy to think Taylor is retiring. Still very much a top level player. Could win this, although I think MVG will take some stopping now
  • Options
    Cracking darts tonight. Part of me likes Taylor's arrogance, you've got to have different characters, but I'm fairly sure if he did that signed Board trick with me he'd be wearing it round his neck.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Oh he is certainly one arrogant "look at me, I am Mr PDC" .
    What's with the filming of the audience by taking control of the camera nonsense.
    A proper drubbing in the final would be a perfect send off.
    Should he win, how much he holds off of retirement?
  • Options
    Well in Taylor, i know everyone wanted him to lose but thought that was going to be a real toughie. Thankfully Anderson wasn't up to his usual standards.

Personally i get all the hate with Taylor but to dominate the sport 3 decades is unbelievable so personally i respect that side of it, would love him to bow out in the final vs MVG preferably win as he deserves it, but if he is beaten it will pass over the baton to the new GOAT, MVG's to lose but still on his day Taylor is someone who can run him close.

Is there another twist in the tourney, Cross has a chance against MVG and you never know Lewis has nothing to lose so will be dangerous.

Love the darts!
  • Options
    He's retiring because he can't handle not being the best. I kind of admire that.

Like the vast majority, I don't like Taylor, but I like seeing him play well and win. He brings an edge to it. I've a fear that the new breed coming through will be too well media trained, disciplined, self aware etc and will carry a blandness that the likes of Taylor, Painter etc can't hide when they are on the oche
  • Options

He's retiring because he can't handle not being the best. I kind of admire that.

Like the vast majority, I don't like Taylor, but I like seeing him play well and win. He brings an edge to it. I've a fear that the new breed coming through will be too well media trained, disciplined, self aware etc and will carry a blandness that the likes of Taylor, Painter etc can't hide when they are on the oche

Dont think so AFKA, dont mean to call you on this. But his main reason for retiring is travel/tiredness and he has been doing it a long time. He has accepted he is not the best but thats never been confirmed the reason he is retiring, might be a factor though.

I think we are in good hands going forward alot of younger guys who are going to step it up and i wouldn't say they are robotic in the sense like snooker players, there is always a bit of character in darts.
  • Options
    Just my view mate, imo he is the type of guy that has to be number one and hasn't got the dignity or will to make the numbers up.

I reckon he'll cover more mileage in exhibitions next year than he would have in comps.

Take your steer on the younger ones, I admit I don't really know enough
  • Options

Watch out for Corey Cadby. This fella is certainly not bland! Already rubbing other players up the wrong way
  • Options

Oh he is certainly one arrogant "look at me, I am Mr PDC" .
    What's with the filming of the audience by taking control of the camera nonsense.
    A proper drubbing in the final would be a perfect send off.
    Should he win, how much he holds off of retirement?

I actually didn't mind that. Taylor knew there was a chance it would be his last ever match, so decided to have a bit of fun. I think he's going into matches with a very relaxed attitude, which makes him a dangerous opponent
  • Options

Just my view mate, imo he is the type of guy that has to be number one and hasn't got the dignity or will to make the numbers up.

I reckon he'll cover more mileage in exhibitions next year than he would have in comps.

Take your steer on the younger ones, I admit I don't really know enough

Fair comment, i cant argue someone elses opinion and you could be right that as he is not the best anymore he wants to go out on the high.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2017

It's never been the same since Peter Manley gave it up for poker.

http://www.skysports.com/darts/news/12288/11169235/peter-manley-talks-about-his-time-in-the-pdc-and-facing-an-unbeatable-phil-taylor

Stitched up Lewis like a kipper (when Lewis was Taylor's protege - before they fell out, surprise surprise) LOL

One Peter Manley, there's only one Peter Manley :smiley:
  • Options

http://www.skysports.com/darts/news/12288/11169235/peter-manley-talks-about-his-time-in-the-pdc-and-facing-an-unbeatable-phil-taylor

Stitched up Lewis like a kipper (when Lewis was Taylor's protege - before they fell out, surprise surprise) LOL

Thanks Peanuts that was a good read, never really been a fan of Manley, but reading that i thought it was quite funny. I half remember the Lewis game but obviously didnt really know the back story and cant even remember the final result.
  • Options
    edited December 2017

Thanks Peanuts that was a good read, never really been a fan of Manley, but reading that i thought it was quite funny. I half remember the Lewis game but obviously didnt really know the back story and cant even remember the final result.
    Cheers johnny.
    Taylor took full revenge in the final of course.
    I accept the guy's the greatest darts player ever to grace the oche. It's just a shame (for his reputation and the sport) that he's got an ego the size of a planet.
  • Options
    edited December 2017

Cheers johnny.
    I accept the guy's the greatest darts player ever to grace the oche. It's just a shame (for his reputation and the sport) that he's got an ego the size of a planet.
    You don't get to the top without having that ruthless streak.

You want to win, you don't like to lose so you sometimes come across as arrogant.

I think in this country especially we feel we have to knock winners because they aren't always gracious in defeat. Phil Taylor, Lewis Hamilton as examples.

They are winners because they dedicate themselves to whatever they do and go the extra mile to become the best in there field. We, the general public, don't see the blood, sweat and tears they put in to reach the pinnacle of there chosen careers.
  • Options

Cheers johnny.

You want to win, you don't like to lose so you sometimes come across as arrogant.

I think in this country especially we feel we have to knock winners because they aren't always gracious in defeat. Phil Taylor, Lewis Hamilton as examples.

They are winners because they dedicate themselves to whatever they do and go the extra mile to become the best in there field. We, the general public, don't see the blood, sweat and tears they put in to reach the pinnacle of there chosen careers.
    This 100%. Why should they be gracious in defeat? They are winners - it’s their mentality. There is nothing wrong with arrogance at all - as long as you can back it up. The 2 examples you give, certainly can back it up.

I think to be a winner time and time again, you need the extra edge and an ego.
  • Options

Cheers johnny.

I've never got this either, I'm not sure if so many of us have a great fondness for Ayrton Senna because he isn't with us anymore or Michael Schumacher because he isn't well at all. Because they were outright winners and displayed so many of the same characteristics of Hamilton, Murray and Taylor.

The nation loves Frank Bruno and Eddie Edwards because they were gallant losers, yet don't warm to those who were dominant because of personality traits
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Believe it or not, it is possible to be a winner without being a w**ker.
  • Options

Believe it or not, it is possible to be a winner without being a w**ker.

Possible yes, however driven people tend to have selfish, unpleasant traits that have enabled them to get where they are

Jenson Button always comes across well, George Groves as a world champ is very amiable, Floyd Mayweather less so.

I totally get your point mate, for Phil Taylor to have been spending 8 hours a day doing nothing but throwing darts at a board he isn't normal though and that will always come through in his personality
  • Options

Never in doubt :wink:

After the disaster of Darren Webster getting thrashed 5-0 in the first game Cross obviously decided the crowd deserved a bit of excitement to get their money's worth!

Sod the crowd.

Sorry but I find it disrespectful when they're booing, whistling, raised voices etc when players are throwing for set points / match points especially when they've not even been watching the match until it's time for those mentioned doubles.
    Glad to see we had a proper crowd in last night for the two big QF's.

Less football songs were being sung and more focus on the action when the darts were being thrown.

More of the same tonight hopefully we're at the stage where there'll be less football fans and more darts fans in attendance.
  • Options
    Just noticed the BDO has moved to channel four.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

At least the adverts will break it up a bit now.
  • Options
    5 more of them Jones please
  • Options

5 more of them Jones please

Lewis?
  • Options
    That's him.
  • Options
    Should have taken that second set as well.
  • Options
    To be fair 1-1 is probably right at this point.

As much as I love watching Taylor play I do wish he'd stop the silly antics in front of the cameras.
  • Options
    Taylor easing into final
  • Options

They might as well stick it on Dave +1
  • Options

Get in

And again.
  • Options
    Very noble of Taylor at the end.
    Perhaps he ain't all bad