Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Star Wars Ep VIII - Last Jedi - CONTAINS SPOILERS

Anyone else seen it yet?

For me too much comedy, I expected something a lot darker.

Akbar, Snoke, Phasma and Luke Skywalker all gone.. That's a bigger cull than episode vii.

Very, very different from every other Star Wars film.

Thoughts?
«13456

Comments

  • PopIcon said:

    Anyone else seen it yet?

    For me too much comedy, I expected something a lot darker.

    Akbar, Snoke, Phasma and Luke Skywalker all gone.. That's a bigger cull than episode vii.

    Very, very different from every other Star Wars film.

    Thoughts?

    Doesn't sound very funny.

    Fortunately I've never been a massive fan so spoilers might save me a few quid.
  • Luke was obviously going to happen.

    Shame it sounds as though Disney is ruining things again.
  • It seemed like it was a lot of padding waiting for something big to happen. Then when that big thing happened, like a death of a main character, it was quickly rushed threw and then more padding.

    Agree with the comedy. Didnt explain who snoke was ( unless i missed it). Thought he was going to be some massive baddie built up over a few films but killed off half way threw. Never explained whos reys parents were. Just they were nobodies. Thanks for that.

    Just really disapointed with it. Could of been so much more but seems like they were trying to pack to much in, when a lot could of been cut out
  • It's not a bad film, it just doesn't feel like Star Wars. Too fluffy and too Disney.
    Snoke was killed to easily, no idea who he was or where he came from.
    Lots of Monty Python type moments, Luke drinking the milk and throwing the lightsaber over hid shoulder.
    The way Luke died was just shit, which is a shame as the moment that built up to it was very good.
    The little boy at end too......ffs.
  • edited December 2017
    I went at midnight on Wednesday like an idiot. I basically echo the original post. Too many crap jokes (along with a couple of funny ones) and not dark enough. Not as good as Force Awakens or Rogue One.
    Having said that, I can't deny that I enjoyed it, once I had suspended all disbelief.
  • Another thought is that when Finn sets out to give his life to destroy the big gun thing I was impressed that they would 'dare' to kill off one of the new heroes and I thought it was a good thing. Sadly we end up with all the over 60s dying and the new characters start to look immortal. The things that Poe does and survives stretch the credibility a lot - especially as almost everyone else around him seems to die from a stray bomb or something else random.
  • Think @kings hill addick is right on the money, it was clearly made by a fan but this is not a good thing as it was trying to fit so much in that none of it worked particularly well. Characters appearing, disappearing and dying all over the place like a while season of Game Of Thrones but in one single movie.

    Not terrible but REALLY not getting all the hype and great reviews.
  • Blinkant said:

    It seemed like it was a lot of padding waiting for something big to happen. Then when that big thing happened, like a death of a main character, it was quickly rushed threw and then more padding.

    Agree with the comedy. Didnt explain who snoke was ( unless i missed it). Thought he was going to be some massive baddie built up over a few films but killed off half way threw. Never explained whos reys parents were. Just they were nobodies. Thanks for that.

    Just really disapointed with it. Could of been so much more but seems like they were trying to pack to much in, when a lot could of been cut out

    I think you mean "through" not "threw" unless characters were being chucked all over the place...
  • I fear this is what happens when fans are allowed to write scripts

    Arguably one of the better movies. Rogue One was written predominantly by fans.
  • Sponsored links:


  • Stylistically, I think it was the most visually interesting SW movie we've seen. Johnson's sensibility certainly serves the force well. Even if the Leia sequence was a bit silly, he shot it beautifully, and some of the flying scenes were the best yet.

    That said, the comedy beats were unwelcome (the shoulder brush was a low point) and I kinda wish Luke was more than just a cranky old man. I think his death was a surprise, almost a bit rushed, but I suspect he will appear in the finale a bit anyway which is why it wasn't a huge fuss. I think he'll have to now regardless of the intent, with Fisher and Ford both out of the picture.

    My biggest criticism is reserved for anything that wasn't force-related. Poe and Finn were given stuff to do ust because they are characters that exist - not to further the plot or story. All Finn achieved was getting half a dozen ships blown up. Laura Dern seemed to be standing in for Fisher as much as her character was for Leia. Had Leia committed self-sacrifice that would have been perfect, especially as it would give Poe Dameron some purpose or meaning.

    I was disappointed Ewan McGregor didn't turn up, but puppet Yoda was a highlight!
  • Dazzler21 said:

    I fear this is what happens when fans are allowed to write scripts

    Arguably one of the better movies. Rogue One was written predominantly by fans.
    I'm glad you said arguably as I felt that Rogue One was a poor film partly due to the fact that those writing the script were determined to shoehorn into it things that shouldn't, in my view, have been there. I'm thinking of the need to have R2D2 and C3PO make an appearance, the "I am with the Force and the Force is with me" rubbish and the scene at the end when Vader leads Stormtroopers waving around his lightsaber when we all know that shortly afterwards (all be it in 1977) he enters the ship behind a load of, then, dead Stormtroopers. Either something happens to dent his confidence from leading, to cowering behind, or the film makers make that scene as they are such fanboys they couldn't resist.

    Having said that I thought there was a lot wrong with Rogue One, but much of that could also be down to it being made by fans more interested in achieving lifetime goals than making a great movie. This was summed up best, in my view, when on a US chat show a load of the cast and crew admitted stealing props as they were such fans!

    I would say that the exact same problem harmed both films but as you say Dazzler, it is arguable, and not everyone agrees with me.
  • edited December 2017
    JiMMy 85 said:

    Stylistically, I think it was the most visually interesting SW movie we've seen. Johnson's sensibility certainly serves the force well. Even if the Leia sequence was a bit silly, he shot it beautifully, and some of the flying scenes were the best yet.

    That said, the comedy beats were unwelcome (the shoulder brush was a low point) and I kinda wish Luke was more than just a cranky old man. I think his death was a surprise, almost a bit rushed, but I suspect he will appear in the finale a bit anyway which is why it wasn't a huge fuss. I think he'll have to now regardless of the intent, with Fisher and Ford both out of the picture.

    My biggest criticism is reserved for anything that wasn't force-related. Poe and Finn were given stuff to do ust because they are characters that exist - not to further the plot or story. All Finn achieved was getting half a dozen ships blown up. Laura Dern seemed to be standing in for Fisher as much as her character was for Leia. Had Leia committed self-sacrifice that would have been perfect, especially as it would give Poe Dameron some purpose or meaning.

    I was disappointed Ewan McGregor didn't turn up, but puppet Yoda was a highlight!

    I agree with almost all of that. I was just not surprised that Luke died. There is an inherently difficult problem to solve when he is/was the most powerful Jedi ever. Like Obi Wan and Yoda he can't be seen to die in a fight/battle so has to sacrifice himself (like Kenobi) or do that fall asleep and disappear thing (like Yoda). If he'd been in the next film his presence should have made it a one sided battle and they need the Rebels to be underdogs.

    In fact Star Wars only works if the baddies have all the power and strength and the goodies 'pull it out of the bag' at the last minute - something that happens in this film a couple of times.

    Luke had to be hidden away (in exile) for the First Order to rise and he has to be dead for it to prosper, now that he is aware of it. Otherwise you end up with Marvel type films where a new goodie is needed to defeat the new baddie in every film.
  • I was surprised how little action there was too. No Star Wars film should have more comedy than action, that is FACTUAL.
  • Saw it this morning and really enjoyed it. Fairly big cull of characters though, even more so now that Carrie Fisher is gone.
  • Saw it this morning too and thought it was average. Probably just a little better than Episode 1 and 2. It was trying to be too funny, the plot was a complete mess and they managed to turn an interesting character into a completely forgettable one (Snoke). I'm a huge Star Wars nerd and was very very disappointed.
  • Where did the first order and Snoke come from anyway? Is that explained anywhere?
  • edited December 2017
    Uboat said:

    Where did the first order and Snoke come from anyway? Is that explained anywhere?

    Nope - Strong rumours that he was Darth Plagius (the Master of Palpatine)

    But was never explained in the Force Awakens and doesnt sound explained this time either

    Did read an article a while ago saying that people shouldn't look for clues about Snoke as he's a nothing character yet going by the comments on here they all seem nothing characters
  • Uboat said:

    Where did the first order and Snoke come from anyway? Is that explained anywhere?

    Nope. Which was a huge disappointment for me.
  • Sponsored links:


  • Uboat said:

    Where did the first order and Snoke come from anyway? Is that explained anywhere?

    Going on Snoke’s looks, I’d say Bermondsey.
    And that gold dressing gown he was wearing.
  • When I finished watching I was happy, drove home thinking yeah decent. Woke up today and changed my mind. Got no interest for the third now and will just watch it without expecting much.

    Snoke - meant to be some new powerful character, got taken out. We know nothing about him, how he got in that position of power etc. If he didn't die and the ginge is really the one pulling the strings that would be a twist but it's doubtful.

    Kylo Ren - Now what? Will the next film just be about him trying to kill everyone and Rey trying to turn him back? If so that doesn't really interest me

    Felt rushed and now I don't see what direction the films are heading in. Snoke and Reys background were the main interesting mysteries and they've both been covered. Can see why people aren't happy. For visuals and fights etc it was good, it just wasn't dark enough for me personally. Was hoping for Rey to turn to the dark side for a new angle tbh
  • Yeah I was about ready to leave until Yoda showed up. I’m sure he was shitty cgi in the first instance but then puppet when talking to luke but I’d need to see it again to check and I don’t really think I have enough of a need to?
    Too many poor jokes, and what dickhead agreed during the edit that it’d be a good idea to keep in the bit about Luke Skywalker milking a 4 titted alien just to get his fix of blue milk?
    Domhall Gleason is just about the worst actor if not in the series then in forever perhaps?
    If you start your movie showing the all powerful merciless First Order and Vivian from the young ones is driving the spaceship then I’m about done with it.
    I wish Michael Macintyre well in his leading role in episode 9, which I doubt I’ll bother with....
  • Grown men wetting themselves over Star Wars. When will this ever end
  • Grown men wetting themselves over Star Wars. When will this ever end

    In a galaxy far far away.
  • Like the Star Wars franchise, BBW stopped being interesting a while ago.
  • Fumbluff said:


    If you start your movie showing the all powerful merciless First Order and Vivian from the young ones is driving the spaceship then I’m about done with it.

    Superb.
  • Just got back on from watching it, a good barometer is my wife liked it and as much as I've tried to force her to watch the previous films she had outright turned her nose up at them.

    I enjoyed it, I can understand the criticisms because we are all critics these days. My mickey mouse criticisms for what they are worth were covered by Jimmy.

    Embrace stuff like this, it's what massive cinema screens and loud speakers are there for. Proper big, films are to be cherished.

    The cynical marketing was in full swing at the cinema I watched at. They did have a couple of stormtroopers standing guard that kids were having their picture taken with which I thought was quality and the kids looked like they loved it too
Sign In or Register to comment.

Roland Out!