Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Star Wars Ep VIII - Last Jedi - CONTAINS SPOILERS

Comments

• I really enjoyed it. A few too many plot holes though. Why had the resistance been left with such low numbers? Did I miss that bit? I dont think I did but you never know.

The end with Luke was inevitable and somewhat predictable. It turned out to be a nice send off for General/Princess Leia Organa.

I watched it at Bexleyheath in a private showing organised by one of my friends, everyone turned up in Star Wars fancy dress and they even had a fully working droid turn up too. Absolutely brilliant effort by everyone that made the effort to dress up.
  • edited December 2017
    JohnBoyUK said:

I really enjoyed it. A few too many plot holes though. Why had the resistance been left with such low numbers? Did I miss that bit? I dont think I did but you never know.

The end with Luke was inevitable and somewhat predictable. It turned out to be a nice send off for General/Princess Leia Organa.

I watched it at Bexleyheath in a private showing organised by one of my friends, everyone turned up in Star Wars fancy dress and they even had a fully working droid turn up too. Absolutely brilliant effort by everyone that made the effort to dress up.

The resistance was always a small band of people, but after Poe and Finn's sub-plot got 90% of the escape carriers blown up towards the end, that left just a few dozen.

There were elements of the plot I didn't like (the aforementioned Finn/ Poe arc) but I am not convinced there are plotholes exactly, depending on your definition of the word!
  • JohnBoyUK said:

I really enjoyed it. A few too many plot holes though. Why had the resistance been left with such low numbers? Did I miss that bit? I dont think I did but you never know.

I take it @AFKABartram was the droid
  • Watched it. Got bored. Felt the rhythm of it was all wrong.
  • Am I the only one that thinks Luke has not gone, he will be back as a Force ghost Old Man Kenobi style.
  • Am I the only one that thinks Luke has not gone, he will be back as a Force ghost Old Man Kenobi style.

I would think that is likely but he won’t be able to fight anyone anymore. It basically means that the audience won’t get to see him as a Jedi in his pomp. Let’s be honest he failed to defeat Vader twice so his record, on screen is Pld 2 W0 D0 L2.

Sad for him really.

I would think that is likely but he won’t be able to fight anyone anymore. It basically means that the audience won’t get to see him as a Jedi in his pomp. Let’s be honest he failed to defeat Vader twice so his record, on screen is Pld 2 W0 D0 L2.

Sad for him really.
    Yes this is true although Disney are filling in his backstory via other media not the big screen granted but I can see book and graphic novels filling the void on that front.
  • PopIcon said:

I wouldn't say the film is specifically targeting children. If anything they are targeting new fans.

of course, they probably went straight to Katrien to ask how to get the job done.

Star Wars probably doesn't need to go out of its way to get new fans, there are already loads of those.

Just keep pleasing them and don't piss em off.

They are a loyal bunch
  • Sponsored links:

Sad for him really.
    You think Luke failed to defeat Vader at the end of Jedi? Eh?
  • JiMMy 85 said:

Am I the only one that thinks Luke has not gone, he will be back as a Force ghost Old Man Kenobi style.

Sad for him really.
    Yes you’re right he won the duel but he did rely on being saved straight afterwards from Palpertine’s electric fingers.

However I think I had forgotten that he he took his hand off first. Amazing as I mush have seen that film close to 50 times.

Must be getting senile!
  • JiMMy 85 said:

Am I the only one that thinks Luke has not gone, he will be back as a Force ghost Old Man Kenobi style.

Sad for him really.
    Yes you’re right he won the duel but he did rely on being saved straight afterwards from Palpertine’s electric fingers.

However I think I had forgotten that he he took his hand off first. Amazing as I mush have seen that film close to 50 times.

Must be getting senile!
    Plus, I suppose, he only won that fight when he turned to the dark side momentarily.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Sad for him really.

Must be getting senile!
    Plus, I suppose, he only won that fight when he turned to the dark side momentarily.
    Thanks. That’s very kind and charitable of you to take pity on me losing my mind.
  • JamesSeed said:

Not sure Skywalker has really' gone'. I'd be easy to bring him back from that ending.

One criticism. When the republic's bomber ship dropped it's payload on the enemy dreadnought ship, how come the bombs fell onto the ship. There would have been no gravity surely?

Overall I thought the movie was a lot of fun.

The little birdie creature were too cutesy for my taste though - Disney's influence I expect. They'll have their own spin off movie next.

There is gravity in space, but the dreadnought wouldn't have had sufficient interaction with the bombs to pull them towards it. I expect the answer from the studio/director would be the bombers released them under a mild electromagnetic field so they were accelerated out of the 'bottom' of the bombers; like a rail gun (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railgun) only with less force. Of course, it would be much better to release them from a long way away under a strong electromagnetic field, exactly like a rail gun, so the bombers didn't have to be exposed to enemy fire.

Of course he will be back, there is now no one else from the original films, even Ackbar is dead. Who knows, we may even see a little bit of Lando.
  • I’m convinced we haven’t seen the last of snoke or Luke. If you believe the snoke = plagues theory and just look at how fucked up his face is (clearly had had his head split in two at one point and sewn back together) and the fact he was just so easily killed. I can definitely see him returning in a slightly different form.

Luke will definitely reappear as a force ghost like obi wan in the original trilogy and yoda in this film.

Speaking of which, I’m so happy they had the old man cheeky and slightly barmy but wise yoda of the original films, rather than the boring mulitple back flipping cgi version of the prequels.
  • I’m convinced we haven’t seen the last of snoke or Luke. If you believe the snoke = plagues theory and just look at how fucked up his face is (clearly had had his head split in two at one point and sewn back together) and the fact he was just so easily killed. I can definitely see him returning in a slightly different form.

If its Plagius my theory is he's only alive in Spirit form and his only way to form is by possessing others (weak minded ones) and is already in Kylo
  • Am I the only one who thought snoke was a Mary Berry lookalike?
  • Watched it today. 7 out of 10 and I think I will like it more when I see it again.

I think they had allocated a classic character to each film, Han in the Force Awakens - fails to save Ren from dark side. Luke sacrifices himself, against Ren, to save the resistance in the Last Jedi. Leia aids Ren's redemption in the last of the trilogy - a mothers love etc. Obviously that plan would not be an option now.

Adam Driver was fantastic in this film, not the whiny
    kid anymore.
  • Sponsored links:

• JamesSeed said:

Not sure Skywalker has really' gone'. I'd be easy to bring him back from that ending.

One criticism. When the republic's bomber ship dropped it's payload on the enemy dreadnought ship, how come the bombs fell onto the ship. There would have been no gravity surely?

The little birdie creature were too cutesy for my taste though - Disney's influence I expect. They'll have their own spin off movie next.

There is gravity in space, but the dreadnought wouldn't have had sufficient interaction with the bombs to pull them towards it. I expect the answer from the studio/director would be the bombers released them under a mild electromagnetic field so they were accelerated out of the 'bottom' of the bombers; like a rail gun (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railgun) only with less force. Of course, it would be much better to release them from a long way away under a strong electromagnetic field, exactly like a rail gun, so the bombers didn't have to be exposed to enemy fire.
    Don't get that. Don't you need to be near mass to have gravity?

You would have thought with all that super tech stuff going on they have a better way to deliver a payload.

• The next film will start with Luke apparating somewhere. Accidentally. A power that he was unaware he possessed revealed for the first time.
    Mark my words...
  • JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

You would have thought with all that super tech stuff going on they have a better way to deliver a payload.

Star Wars isn't based on any kind of science. There's no point wondering about all this! The X-Wings, for instance, wouldn't be able to manoeuvre the way they do in zero-gravity with four engines on the back.
  • JamesSeed said:

The next film will start with Luke apparating somewhere. Accidentally. A power that he was unaware he possessed revealed for the first time.
    Mark my words...

Given that they seem eager to pursue the comedy route, he could keep accidentally apparating into inappropriate situations, with hilarious consequences.
  • JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

There is gravity everywhere - it's a force between masses. The closer two objects are, the more gravity affects the two - gravity obeys the inverse square law so if you halve the distance you get four times the effect, if you double the distance you get a quarter of the effect.

If there wasn't gravity in space, the planets, comets, etc. wouldn't be in orbit round the Sun, they'd be wandering off across the galaxy.

When people talk about there being no gravity, they mean there is no sufficiently massive object close enough to be exerting a dominant force. Gravity is actually a very weak force (it's the weakest of the four fundamental forces) so you don't have to get that far away from the Earth, for example, for the pull between you and it to be very negligible, as will be the pull between you and the moon, the other planets, the Sun, etc.
  • Saw it last night and enjoyed it overall. A bit messy in places and really didn't like the Canto Bight section. That was straight out of the George Lucas prequels. Also why didn't the star destroyers step on the gas a bit to catch up rather than wait for the rebel ships to run out of petrol? Or was that explained?
  • Saw it last night and enjoyed it overall. A bit messy in places and really didn't like the Canto Bight section. That was straight out of the George Lucas prequels. Also why didn't the star destroyers step on the gas a bit to catch up rather than wait for the rebel ships to run out of petrol? Or was that explained?

Captain Vivian had filled up with unleaded when everyone knows your star destroyer needs 4*

Left it running a bit groggy...
  • Saw it last night. Loved some of the visuals, early space battle, yoda, Luke when he got going, thought it was better than Force awakens.

Some plot holes, how did he get that fish up that big pole, but majorly why not use a transport or the cruiser much earlier to ram the big star destroyer? Lots of lost opportunities for a deeper plot as others have mentioned.

Didn’t really care about the new characters, force awakens didn’t really set them up that well though in the first place. Agree with most of the criticims above.

Few too many close ups of the oldies, so glad Luke’s hair was tidied up for his big scene, solos was dire in the first one. Nothing against seniors but those who are screen friendly when young don’t necessarily fit when older. This is cinema and fantasy it doesn’t have to be overly ‘real’.

Thought the plot promised much, but when it came to delivering the punch most but not all occasions it failed to take full advantage.

In my very humble opinion there is an art to good film making involving casting, script writing, acting and directing which seems to have largely vanished around the mid nineties, maybe even earlier, the original trilogy fortunately were still part of that.

Overall just about squeaked at 4/5
  • Also why didn't the star destroyers step on the gas a bit to catch up rather than wait for the rebel ships to run out of petrol? Or was that explained?

I realised a while ago that to enjoy Star Wars films you have to just banish questions like that from your mind.