Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New Solar System

Just announced:
NASA's Kepler spacecraft has discovered a whole solar system similar to Earth's with a family of eight planets.

The US space agency made the much-anticipated announcement on its Kepler spacecraft planet-hunting mission on Thursday.

For the first time in history, humans have now discovered a solar system with just as many planets as our own, astronomers revealed.

The family of eight exo-planets orbit the Kepler-90 star, which looks similar to our sun.

"Today Kepler confirms stars can have large families of planets just like our solar system," NASA said in the press conference.

Comments

• Options
    Quite exciting... But I can almost guarantee others who don't believe there is other life out there will shit on this fantastic news.
  • Options
    Talal said:

In today's Sun Rod Liddle said there is definitely, 100% no other life out there. Nasa may as well just stop.

The Sun
    is the font of all knowledge.
    And truth.

Everyone knows that.

• Options
    Rod Who? Jesus, do the maths. It's not rocket science! It's pretty impossible we are the only ones.
  • Options

Rod Who? Jesus, do the maths. It's not rocket science! It's pretty impossible we are the only ones.

Rod Who? Jesus, do the maths. It's neot rocket science! It's pretty impossible we are the only ones.

I believe the science makes it highly likely we are. The science is also why we should never stop.
  • Options
    I presume Rod Liddle hasn’t heard of The Drake Equation.
  • Options
    So we still haven’t found planets with the same characteristics as the earth that have abundance of life on them?
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Carter said:

Just announced:
    NASA's Kepler spacecraft has discovered a whole solar system similar to Earth's with a family of eight planets.

The US space agency made the much-anticipated announcement on its Kepler spacecraft planet-hunting mission on Thursday.

For the first time in history, humans have now discovered a solar system with just as many planets as our own, astronomers revealed.

The family of eight exo-planets orbit the Kepler-90 star, which looks similar to our sun.

"Today Kepler confirms stars can have large families of planets just like our solar system," NASA said in the press conference.

I love stuff like this
    Me too mate. The whole galaxy thing is unreal
    Just tried to explain a light year to my son and blew both our minds...and I've already heard it!

For anyone to say we are the only ones here is pretty nonsensical when you do the math.

I'd bet anyone any amount of money!
    (Probably because there's no way of proving it!)
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

So we still haven’t found planets with the same characteristics as the earth that have abundance of life on them?

Too early to say with this lot I think. They were originally missed but only found using a new type of AI on second viewing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

MrOneLung said:

Too early to say with this lot I think. They were originally missed but only found using a new type of AI on second viewing.
    Also when in time are you viewing these planets? After all we are looking at objects light years away. There could have been life, there maybe life, life could happen or maybe conditions don’t come together at the critical moment and nothing moves on.
    I don’t think we , as a species, will ever know for fact,(I doubt we will go much longer), but surely there must be other forms of life even if they are single cell somethings.
  • Options
    Infinate combinations but most scientists believe that it would be extremely rare for stars to not have planetary companions.

Makes the mind boggle.
  • Options
    We are so so close imo to finding answers to questions that should be beyond answering. I think astronomy, Astro and particle physics is probably my biggest passion outside of football. I can’t get enough of it. Unfortunately it is a ridiculously big universe out there and it’s been around for such a length of time that I think it would take something to challenge the very physics that govern our world to really understand it, ie another universe.

The more I read, the more I believe in the multiverse theory. Too many unanswered questions that point toward something beyond our universe that makes it all tick

I look forward to each and every discovery and pray I live to an age where we discover other intelligent life
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Quite exciting... But I can almost guarantee others who don't believe there is other life out there will shit on this fantastic news.

Who, other than the insane, doesn't think that life exists somewhere beyond our planet?
  • Options
    This is a weird dilemma

On one hand I really hope we find evidence of Alien life within my lifetime

On the other I’m scared of what we might stumble upon.

• Options
    se9addick said:

Dazzler21 said:

Who, other than the insane, doesn't think that life exists somewhere beyond our planet?
    In slight contradiction to my earlier post, alien life could already walk among us. I appreciate that’s slightly abstract from the original post but I’m a big believer in the ancient astronaut theory

Can’t help it, love all that stuff
  • Options
    cabbles said:

se9addick said:

Dazzler21 said:

In slight contradiction to my earlier post, alien life could already walk among us. I appreciate that’s slightly abstract from the original post but I’m a big believer in the ancient astronaut theory

I highly doubt it. Life almost certainly exists beyond our planet but, given the distances involved, it almost certainly hasn't visited our planet.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

cabbles said:

se9addick said:

Dazzler21 said:

I highly doubt it. Life almost certainly exists beyond our planet but, given the distances involved, it almost certainly hasn't visited our planet.
    The earth has been around for 4 billion years I think. There’s a lot of strange stuff on this earth that doesn’t add up for me. But this is simply a personal opinion and I have no evidence to back it up of course
  • Options
    Almost....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2017
    Look at the rarity of carbon/air/oxygen environments and then divide by the odds of life evolving on any one of them and take those odds and divide by the probability of proteins evolving into sentient life forms.

Then multiply by all planets. If it equals 1 then it's reasonable to think there might be intelligent life elsewhere. I suspect it's a tiny fraction.

There's your odds.
  • Options
    I don't think we understand enough about 'life' and how it forms to know how prevalent life is likely to be in the universe.

We've also barely just recently been able to identify planets around other suns.

If you watch recent tv programmes they suggest life in obscure places is more likely than previously thought. If you add the logic of evolution to that, it seems likely intelligent life would develop elsewhere.

What seems more unlikely is that if any civilisation managed to survive self destruction, it would be able to travel the vast distances involved to actually find us.

Fascinating topic though

• Options
    TBF we seem to know the probable mass of the universe so can estimate how many planets there are. There is a vast amount unaccounted for, hence dark matter but unless you are into parallel universes what we believe to be the visible mass is what there is to work with. The billions of years evolution to anything more complex than single cell organisms is a significant factor.
  • Options

TBF we seem to know the probable mass of the universe so can estimate how many planets there are. There is a vast amount unaccounted for, hence dark matter but unless you are into parallel universes what we believe to be the visible mass is what there is to work with. The billions of years evolution to anything more complex than single cell organisms is a significant factor.

PS. When I say "we" I mean "scientists and mathematicians". I personally am just like a cyclist accidentally veering onto a motorway, intellectually speaking.
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:

This is a weird dilemma

On one hand I really hope we find evidence of Alien life within my lifetime

On the other I’m scared of what we might stumble upon.

Out of that vast range, the odds that an alien civilisation would be within 500 years of our stage of development are millions to one. Imagine someone being 1000 years...let alone one million years ahead of us. Something like the universe might be the simplest thing for them to understand, while we're just like a colony of ants, who knows nothing.
  • Options
    Of course there is life on other planets, many of their inhabitants regularly post on here...
  • Options
    Hell of a long way for a an away game
  • Options
    Talal said:

In today's Sun Rod Liddle said there is definitely, 100% no other life out there. Nasa may as well just stop.

I can imagine there are just as many people who think the same of Rod Liddle.