Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New Solar System

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2017

Just think, out there somewhere, there's people just like us, praying for a take over!

And that there is someone like us celebrating after beating Millwall for the 200th year in a row. We really did get the shitty end of the stick....
  • Options

Distance and timescales would make it highly unlikely that we will as a species ever encounter other life forms.

MAYBE Our level of knowledge and understanding of space and even science in general, is actually light years behind what it will one day be. Science has evolved to disprove previously "proven facts" I don't see that changing.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Surely this is one for the takeover thread.
  • Options
    I just spoke to God and she confirmed that this planet is the only one she’s been trialling with lifeforms, everywhere else in the whole of the known universe is barren of any life.

She did say that she was thinking of experimenting with allowing other life inside dark matter but she sounded a bit cagey at this point and I wasn’t sure if she was pulling my leg.

Anyone who says otherwise must be totally insane.
  • Options

I just spoke to God and she confirmed that this planet is the only one she’s been trialling with lifeforms, everywhere else in the whole of the known universe is barren of any life.

She did say that she was thinking of experimenting with allowing other life inside dark matter but she sounded a bit cagey at this point and I wasn’t sure if she was pulling my leg.

Anyone who says otherwise must be totally insane.

Did she say when her next album is coming out?
  • Options
    She did, just in time for the UK open air festival season which is where she makes more money than in the rest of life put together...
  • Options
    Ross said:

2 videos which always blow my mind no matter how many times I watch them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17jymDn0W6U

Watching that video reminds me of what goes on in the brains of @Henry Irving and @charltonnick when I explain that Knebworth is fully 27 miles from the Valley but the river is in-between

• Options
    There's so much we don't know.

Humans once thought that the earth was flat.

Hopefully we will make a discovery that euphorically shocks people.

Life on any other planet?

I don't know HOW a bunch of elements eventually formulated the 1st living organism or reproducing single cell or whatever.

It happened, it's just whether or not the naturally created bio intelligent "machine" that is a cell....(which millions of years later, got to arguably the greatest biochemical ultimate complete machine so far, human beings).....was a complete and utter one off miricle...even if another planet had a similar temperature and the same elements in the same way we did.
    Obviously anything even remotely similar to human beings living on another planet is so unlikely it's arguably impossible.

On earth, once upon a time...there was "no life".

Then "something" happened (maybe some else can explain that something my knowledge is limited)

What is the likeliness that the same "something" could happen elsewhere, even if it had the same ingredients....or, is what I'm trying to say completely ridiculous or stupid....would life, just like on earth, actually be....ineivitable?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I wouldn't blame any visitor from another planet if they just kept on going right past us.
  • Options
    Stevelamb said:

I wouldn't blame any visitor from another planet if they just kept on going right past us.

In all honesty if an alien life form came accross earth they’d still think we were pointlessly primitive and move on. I don’t think anyone really realises how advanced you’d have to be to master interstellar travel and cover massive distances in a time frame that would be reasonable. We think way too highly of ourselves. Another thought is that maybe we are incapable of having the correct resources anywhere on earth to be useful in an interstellar civilisation, which is another reason why they would have left the earth well alone.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Quite exciting... But I can almost guarantee others who don't believe there is other life out there will shit on this fantastic news.

As others have said, it’s the timing that makes it extremely unlikely. If the beginning of time was 24 hours ago from the moment you read this, the human race only appeared 6 seconds before!

A guy on planet far away enough from here with a stupidly powerful telescope could look at Earth and still only see dinosaurs on it.
  • Options
    "A guy on planet far away enough from here with a stupidly powerful telescope could look at Earth and still only see dinosaurs on it."

So nothings changed yet then.
  • Options
    Stevelamb said:

"A guy on planet far away enough from here with a stupidly powerful telescope could look at Earth and still only see dinosaurs on it."

So nothings changed yet then.

Thats what happens if you dont train your telescope properly and only train it on the West Stand on a Saturday afternoon... ;)
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    This is all above me (pun intended). I have only just stopped sniggering over a planet called Uranus!
  • Options

This is all above me (pun intended)

Surely space is all around you not just above?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Quite exciting... But I can almost guarantee others who don't believe there is other life out there will shit on this fantastic news.

Talal said:

In today's Sun Rod Liddle said there is definitely, 100% no other life out there. Nasa may as well just stop.

I don't believe there is other life out there because being of a scientific bent I go on evidence. I'd like there to be other life, I think there's a good chance there's other life, even in our solar system on/in the moons of the gas giants, but I have no evidence that there is.

I've no idea who Rod Liddle is. If he'd produced an argument as to why he thought it very unlikely, fair enough, but to says there definitely isn't other life is the mark of an idiot.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

We are so so close imo to finding answers to questions that should be beyond answering. I think astronomy, Astro and particle physics is probably my biggest passion outside of football. I can’t get enough of it. Unfortunately it is a ridiculously big universe out there and it’s been around for such a length of time that I think it would take something to challenge the very physics that govern our world to really understand it, ie another universe.

The more I read, the more I believe in the multiverse theory. Too many unanswered questions that point toward something beyond our universe that makes it all tick

I look forward to each and every discovery and pray I live to an age where we discover other intelligent life

"So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure,
    How amazingly unlikely is your birth;
    And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space,
    'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!"
  • Options
    edited December 2017

This is all above me (pun intended)

Surely space is all around you not just above?
    So's love smart arse!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

TBF we seem to know the probable mass of the universe so can estimate how many planets there are. There is a vast amount unaccounted for, hence dark matter but unless you are into parallel universes what we believe to be the visible mass is what there is to work with. The billions of years evolution to anything more complex than single cell organisms is a significant factor.

PS. When I say "we" I mean "scientists and mathematicians". I personally am just like a cyclist accidentally veering onto a motorway, intellectually speaking.
    Taking that analogy, I'd like to think I'm on my mobility scooter.
  • Options
    1StevieG said:

3blokes said:

We could end up meeting life but not as we know it -

I think they call that a Klingon.......
    Why is Captain Kirk like a sheet of Andrex?

They both get rid of Klingons.
  • Options

Just think, out there somewhere, there's people just like us, praying for a take over!

Yes, Blackpool.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Distance and timescales would make it highly unlikely that we will as a species ever encounter other life forms.

MAYBE Our level of knowledge and understanding of space and even science in general, is actually light years behind what it will one day be. Science has evolved to disprove previously "proven facts" I don't see that changing.
    The universe is billions of years old. Life and civilisations I’m convinced will have sprung up and died out any number of times. We might “miss” each other by millions of years. Add to that the significant distances involved and I think even though there will be and has been life out there the chances of us running into any of them are virtually nil.

• Options
    What we will miss is colonisation of our solar system, unless they hurry up and crack eternal life that is, and quite a few diseases too, hurry it up chaps.
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

Talal said:

In today's Sun Rod Liddle said there is definitely, 100% no other life out there. Nasa may as well just stop.

I don't believe there is other life out there because being of a scientific bent I go on evidence. I'd like there to be other life, I think there's a good chance there's other life, even in our solar system on/in the moons of the gas giants, but I have no evidence that there is.

I've no idea who Rod Liddle is. If he'd produced an argument as to why he thought it very unlikely, fair enough, but to says there definitely isn't other life is the mark of an idiot.
    He didn't, it was an odd little piece that I just laughed at. I believe he's Millwall, think his name's been mentioned on here before and the general consensus was indeed, idiot.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Heard on a podcast that while we don't know when life began on earth we do know that it began almost immediately after the conditions became viable to do so. It wasn't a case of one day life started rather that the opportunity arrived and it would have been almost instant.

This sort of thing is so so far beyond my intellect but I could read and listen about it all day.

Edit: it wasn't that we don't know when life began on earth, it was that there is more certainty In the time it took to start after the conditions were viable for it to do so vs when that moment was.
  • Options
    "A guy on planet far away enough from here with a stupidly powerful telescope could look at Earth and still only see dinosaurs on it"

Someone is confusing space exploration with John Lewis Xmas ads
  • Options

Stevelamb said:

In all honesty if an alien life form came accross earth they’d still think we were pointlessly primitive and move on. I don’t think anyone really realises how advanced you’d have to be to master interstellar travel and cover massive distances in a time frame that would be reasonable. We think way too highly of ourselves. Another thought is that maybe we are incapable of having the correct resources anywhere on earth to be useful in an interstellar civilisation, which is another reason why they would have left the earth well alone.
    Pointlessly primitive? Possibly. Move on? Absolutely no way. Can you imagine a civilisation so advanced that it had learned to travel between different solar systems and yet so devoid of curiosity that it would leave us alone? The very notion is absolutely preposterous. I don't suppose you remember the excitement in the scientific community over the meteorite Allan Hills 84001. That was just because they thought it might contain evidence of bacteria, yet here on Earth we have 8.7 million species and you imagine we'd be ignored. Believe me, we might not all be in line to receive the apocryphal anal probes of alien greys, but whoever discovers us will be watching their very own version of Life on Earth for as long as we can possibly maintain a show.