Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Oldham | Sat 06 Jan | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• edited January 2018
    Can't see Madvididi starting.

..... Amos
    Konsa Bauer Sarr DaSilva
    ......... Aribo... Kashi
    Marshall.... Holmes..... Magennis
    ............. KAG

With that front four, interchange will be so inportant. We've seen a lot less of it lately. Expect Marshall to stay wide but hope the other three move and change and look to press.

Also wouldn't be overly surprised if Reeves starts ahead of Marshall. I think Marshall has gotten off to lightly for criticism while some of the comments surrounding Reeves have been insanely over the top.
  • Leaving @dickplumb to provide his own reply, also as a regular at Middle Park Ave, I would comment that Barnes is a natural RB and Anfernee tends to play regularly in midfield for the U-23s. Barnesy looked a bit off-the-pace at the last Checkatrade game at The Valley, but may be a better option now, given the flexibility of Dijksteel. Jamie Molloy (sp) has also done well as wingback.
  • Even if we were to lose 10 on the trot Robinson would not change his preferred 4231.
    2.1 Oldham and Robinson 's days are numbered.
  • chilham said:

Leaving @dickplumb to provide his own reply, also as a regular at Middle Park Ave, I would comment that Barnes is a natural RB and Anfernee tends to play regularly in midfield for the U-23s. Barnesy looked a bit off-the-pace at the last Checkatrade game at The Valley, but may be a better option now, given the flexibility of Dijksteel. Jamie Molloy (sp) has also done well as wingback.

Cheers @chilham I struggle to remember the regular U23 viewers.
  • Normally I would say a nailed on win but as we seem to only play for 45 minutes at the moment this could be yet another banana skin. But I am going for 2-0 to us
  • robroy said:

It will be the same old same old.

Oldham will come and park the bus and try and catch us on the break, freak goal from a corner/on on break.

If we get the Charlton from the start of the season that can put away the chances we will win 3-1.

If its current Charlton 1-1 or 0-1.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE start putting away those chances!

Please oh please start creating chances...
    I would put Mevididi in midfield, get Kashi to feed him ball into space and let him run free. he's not a target man.
    And play Magennis up front, he will score
  • Shit awful game, we concede early, look dreadful 1st half, then come out and look better in the 2nd and eventually score from a late Holmes set piece.
  • MAVIDIDI
  • Can't go tomorrow. Wasn't expecting much anyway. Never seen a good game involving Oldham. Expect them to nick it.
  • Sponsored links:

• I noticed this was yet another game when both us and Millwall are at home with 3PM kick-offs. Can only assume that the police think that because we are in different divisions and the smaller crowds (especially as the Millwall game is a cup game) then they can safely go ahead. Was a time when it never happened.
  • cafc-west said:

I noticed this was yet another game when both us and Millwall are at home with 3PM kick-offs. Can only assume that the police think that because we are in different divisions and the smaller crowds (especially as the Millwall game is a cup game) then they can safely go ahead. Was a time when it never happened.

Charlton v Oldham on a bleak Saturday afternoon in January. Could kick off big time.
  • I know Reeves has been rubbish FA, but is he injured again as you have left him out of the 18 man squad for tomorrow?
  • Stubborn draw from Oldham
  • cafc-west said:

I noticed this was yet another game when both us and Millwall are at home with 3PM kick-offs. Can only assume that the police think that because we are in different divisions and the smaller crowds (especially as the Millwall game is a cup game) then they can safely go ahead. Was a time when it never happened.

Charlton v Oldham on a bleak Saturday afternoon in January. Could kick off big time.
    Charlton vs Oldham, Millwall vs Barnsley, two glamour fixtures!
  • could of been off to Wembley Sunday for a big day out, but never the less wasn't to be, need a win really do. and think well get it 2-1 coming from behind
  • ross1 said:

I know Reeves has been rubbish FA, but is he injured again as you have left him out of the 18 man squad for tomorrow?

I thought he came off injured...? If wrong then I'd have him on the bench
  • robroy said:

It will be the same old same old.

Oldham will come and park the bus and try and catch us on the break, freak goal from a corner/on on break.

If we get the Charlton from the start of the season that can put away the chances we will win 3-1.

If its current Charlton 1-1 or 0-1.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE start putting away those chances!

Do you have a crystal ball? :) Oh I forgot, every game is the same! It really is going to be a chore to drag myself to this!
  • ross1 said:

I know Reeves has been rubbish FA, but is he injured again as you have left him out of the 18 man squad for tomorrow?

I thought he came off injured...? If wrong then I'd have him on the bench
    I don't recall KR mentioning any injury, which he did do for JFC
  • Some of the worst matches I have seen at the Valley have featured Oldham Athletic.

Which.of our non scoring strikers willl fail to score this week ?

O.1

There were some good ones in the 80s
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2018
    The 3-4 win up at Oldham in September was a great performance, certainly for the first 30 mins. After that Fane came on, kicked the crap out of us, got sent off for his troubles, and we were happy to hang on v. 10 men. I think Kashi and JJ ran out of steam.

So who played up front? Well not Magennis who was injured, so nominally, Clarke. We scored four and could have scored more. Just saying.
  • 1-0 Marshall to poke one home.
  • Would be very happy to see Mavidida start
  • Just how clued up are the club, I have just received the normal "match preview" from them that states "One to watch - Eoin Doyle". This is a player who KR was supposedly interested in signing this month until it was announced that he is suffering from a blood clot and is likely to miss the rest of the season. He is also not currently an Oldham Athletic player as his loan spell from Preston N E has just finished. Is it any wonder we are in such a mess ?
  • Almost all the previous post are possible outcomes.

I will be there, but can't really work out why, games v Oldham are nearly always dull, I am sure the feeling is mutual.

I prefer to cast my mind back to October 1975 when we won 3-1 at home to the Lattics in the old Div 2. Wasn't a bad game, but from my point of view I consider this the day I truly became a Charlton fan. It was not my first match at The Valley, but it was the first time I had been allow to go unaccompanied by an adult.

Back on topic I am rather optimistically going for a repeat tomorrow 3-1

• SDAddick said:

Can't see Madvididi starting.

..... Amos
    Konsa Bauer Sarr DaSilva
    ......... Aribo... Kashi
    Marshall.... Holmes..... Magennis
    ............. KAG

With that front four, interchange will be so inportant. We've seen a lot less of it lately. Expect Marshall to stay wide but hope the other three move and change and look to press.

Also wouldn't be overly surprised if Reeves starts ahead of Marshall. I think Marshall has gotten off to lightly for criticism while some of the comments surrounding Reeves have been insanely over the top.

If Reeves plays- suggest you watch him for 10m, which I have done, he hides from the ball at any opportunity and hardly ever makes himself available for a pass.
  • Magennis should be firmly on the bench, absolute shithouse
  • Maginnis hasn't been good but maybe Mavadidi will reignite him?
  • I see there's a few on here, like myself, who recognise that, in good times and bad, in the sun and in the rain, until death do us part, any home fixture against Oldham is 100% guaranteed to be abysmal.

16/17: 1 - 1
    11/12: 1 - 1
    10/11: 1 - 1
    09/10: 0 - 0
    96/97: 1 - 0 After Curbs finally relented to the Covered End's repeated requests to bring him, David Whyte Whyte Whyte rises from the bench to save the day with about 5 minutes to go
    95/96: 1 - 1
    94/95: 2 - 0 David Whyte Whyte Whyte scores one and sets on up for Keith Jones.
    90/91: 1 - 0

So two lessons you can take from that:

1. David Whyte was brilliant. 2 weeks after scoring against Oldham in 1994, he played in the home match against Millwall on New Year's Day and the crossbar denied him what would have been the probably the greatest goal that had ever been scored in that fixture.
    2. For the last three decades, any home fixture against Oldham not featuring David Whyte has been an entirely dull and joyless affair.

I see Karl's suddenly got all brave about needing new players, etc. Probably the only manager in the league who planned to do the bulk of his transfer business in January rather than pre-season. No sympathy from me, he knew what he was signing up to when he came in. Don't believe for one second that the takeover speculation has had any bearing whatsoever on Roland's transfer budget, so all this stuff about having 6 players ready to come in sounds like bollocks to me. Hopefully he's found some time in between spouting off to work on our defensive frailties, cos we were an absolute disgrace last weekend.

Winter, Spring, Summer or fall,
    This game will definitely finish 1 all,
    And I'll be there, yes I'll be there
    Cos I've got no friends.
  • Harry Lennon on the programme cover. A cover appearance usually means the player has an awful game.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!