Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Oldham | Sat 06 Jan | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options

Oldham have never won away at Charlton in any competition in their history (P25 W0 D11 L14), although their last four visits have all been drawn.

There you go. Late Christmas present from Charlton Athletic... 0-1
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    More woe. 0 - 1

What’s worse is I really can’t be bothered to drag myself there.
  • Options
    3-1 mavididi to score on debut
  • Options

2-1 to Charlton. I don't think Oldham have won since Doyle has been out with the blood clot issue.

Oldham have never won away at Charlton in any competition in their history (P25 W0 D11 L14), although their last four visits have all been drawn.

So that mean CAFC will see that record ended LOL. Oh god all this negativity is rubbing off on me now help. But seriously Oldham will be happy take YET another draw.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Why not try Jacko up front?
  • Options
    dizzee said:

It's been done before. He's always three seconds too late to get where he needs to be
  • Options
    I put down Charlton to win on the predictions thread. Then I saw it was a Kids for a Quid game. We never win games when we have promotions like this.
  • Options
    I can’t be bothered to make the trip down the A11 today. Pompey and Gills games were enough live misery for me for a while. I’ll watch this on ifollow.
  • Options
    edited January 2018

I can’t be bothered to make the trip down the A11 today. Pompey and Gills games were enough live misery for me for a while. I’ll watch this on ifollow.

Oddly I seem to look forward to these doom and gloom games more than others, perhaps because of the low expectations.

• Options
    chilham said:

Leaving @dickplumb to provide his own reply, also as a regular at Middle Park Ave, I would comment that Barnes is a natural RB and Anfernee tends to play regularly in midfield for the U-23s. Barnesy looked a bit off-the-pace at the last Checkatrade game at The Valley, but may be a better option now, given the flexibility of Dijksteel. Jamie Molloy (sp) has also done well as wingback.

I had high hopes for Aaron Barnes at the beginning of the Season. But he got a real roasting at left back against Norwich in the pre season friendly and has not looked the same player. I don't think Robinson trusts him. Jamie Mascoll is very left footed but is a very promising player with pace to burn.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Shall I wait up until 11pm for the match thread and a possible goal fest ?

No.
  • Options
    2-1 addicks, Mavididi to net a brace
  • Options

Could KR be the first Charlton manager to lose at home to Oldham (or did he do that last year?).

We are unbeaten in the last 25 matches against them at home.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

chilham said:

Leaving @dickplumb to provide his own reply, also as a regular at Middle Park Ave, I would comment that Barnes is a natural RB and Anfernee tends to play regularly in midfield for the U-23s. Barnesy looked a bit off-the-pace at the last Checkatrade game at The Valley, but may be a better option now, given the flexibility of Dijksteel. Jamie Molloy (sp) has also done well as wingback.

I had high hopes for Aaron Barnes at the beginning of the Season. But he got a real roasting at left back against Norwich in the pre season friendly and has not looked the same player. I don't think Robinson trusts him. Jamie Mascoll is very left footed but is a very promising player with pace to burn.

I agree with what you say about Djiksteel in midfield, but at the present time I also (agree?) that Djiksteel would be a better right back than Barnes.
    Barnes, and his family are great, but I think Robinson jumped the gun a bit with him, maybe because of the fragility of Solly. Also Barnes being used several times out of position at left back hasn't helped him where he needs to fully learn the right back role in mens football. The Barnes example is yet another example where one needs to proceed cautiously with young players, who essentially need to be bedded in rather than thrown in.
    Goodness knows who is available today, although I would start with the 19 year old Mavididi on the bench, and I think that is what will happen.
  • Options
    Are people leaving Reeves out of their suggested line ups because he’s injured or because he’s cack? Just wondered as I hadn’t heard that he was injured and he is most definitely cack.
  • Options
    edited January 2018

Shall I wait up until 11pm for the match thread and a possible goal fest ?

No.

Oh plesse do...
    I'm in woopwoop, dodgy internet, i need some verve !!!
    Do them Mavididi do them good !!!
  • Options
    7-1
  • Options
    Sorry to keep banging on about lone strikers/formations etc, but in a season where we've struggled for goals our away win (3-4) at Oldham stands out.
    Without Magennis we played a more fluid game. We didn't have the long ball to the big front man to fall back on, which actually improved us if anything, with Holmes, KAG, Clarke and Fosu looking threatening.
    I just know Karl will start with 'Big Josh' Magenniiiiiiiiiiiis though.
  • Options
    http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/oldham-athletic-richie-wellens-latics-14114218

Interesting article in which Richie Wellens talks about all the loan players they've lost in the last few days. Kean Bryan, Jack Byrne, and Eoin Doyle have all gone back to parent clubs, Peter Clarke has joined Bury, and it looks like Queensy Menig is next our the door. When we played them they'd just gotten Byrne and Bryan in, and the two definitely added a bit of quality.

I'm hoping we play them at a good time when their team is in flux and that we can take advantage. I have a good feeling about today, don't know why. And now we'll probably get tonked.

What's also interesting is that Wellens talks about Doyle being out 8-9 weeks with the blood clot in his leg. I know we were interested in him in the summer, and there's been some talk of getting him in in January, but that feels like a non-starter to me. It seems at best he'd be back around early March, and wouldn't have played for 2.5 months at that point. Plus, with such a serious injury as a blood clot, you don't want to take any chances.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    dizzee said:

Lets just try two up front first.
  • Options
    Draw...hopefully a score draw, but most likely a 0-0 bore draw. Please don't lose again.

Hope I'm wrong and we pick up 3 points, but think we're low on players, form and confidence at the mo. Takeover talk must have put the players and managers in to a period of uncertainty especially if it was the first they'd officially heard of it. Plus the morale will be rock bottom following KM's resignation!!!

Need the deal done and dusted and then we can all move forward.

Get out there lads, forget all the off field politics and play for the fans and the badge. We might not be in the stands but we still follow you.
  • Options
    I was lucky enough to miss the debacle against Gillingham, although 3 points from 8 games and a Cup defeat at AFC Wimbledon speaks for itself.

In terms of Karl Robinson’s position, the unprecedented number of injuries has to be taken into account, as does the absurdity of going into September with only one recognised striker. Josh Magennis’ atrocious form over the last month or two has brutally exposed the stupidity of leaving the squad short in that critical area, although it might have been so different had we managed to get Godden or Doyle.

On any objective basis, this game is likely to produce another very disappointing result, although my gut feeling is that we’ll get our act together and manage a long overdue win.

One thing is certain - it will be a scarily lowcrowd
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/oldham-athletic-richie-wellens-latics-14114218

Interesting article in which Richie Wellens talks about all the loan players they've lost in the last few days. Kean Bryan, Jack Byrne, and Eoin Doyle have all gone back to parent clubs, Peter Clarke has joined Bury, and it looks like Queensy Menig is next our the door. When we played them they'd just gotten Byrne and Bryan in, and the two definitely added a bit of quality.

I'm hoping we play them at a good time when their team is in flux and that we can take advantage. I have a good feeling about today, don't know why. And now we'll probably get tonked.

What's also interesting is that Wellens talks about Doyle being out 8-9 weeks with the blood clot in his leg. I know we were interested in him in the summer, and there's been some talk of getting him in in January, but that feels like a non-starter to me. It seems at best he'd be back around early March, and wouldn't have played for 2.5 months at that point. Plus, with such a serious injury as a blood clot, you don't want to take any chances.

As you say @SDAddick, an interesting perspective from Richie Wellens.

There also can’t have been many midfield players treading the boards in the third tier over the years who go by the name of ‘Queensy’
  • Options
    seth plum said:

dickplumb said:

chilham said:

I agree with what you say about Djiksteel in midfield, but at the present time I also (agree?) that Djiksteel would be a better right back than Barnes.
    Barnes, and his family are great, but I think Robinson jumped the gun a bit with him, maybe because of the fragility of Solly. Also Barnes being used several times out of position at left back hasn't helped him where he needs to fully learn the right back role in mens football. The Barnes example is yet another example where one needs to proceed cautiously with young players, who essentially need to be bedded in rather than thrown in.
    Goodness knows who is available today, although I would start with the 19 year old Mavididi on the bench, and I think that is what will happen.
    To be fair to Robinson, Barnes looked quite good at fullback throughout the rest of preseason, and he'd played left back both earlier in preseason and at U23 level.

It's hard. This isn't the Karlan situation where we go into the season with three fit senior strikers, two of whom can't play together effectively, with a manager who always wants to play 4-4-2. This is trying to ease a young player in in preseason, admittedly out of position, in hopes that he'll learn some things. It's unfortunate that that game seems to have had such a lasting impact on the young man. I think the blow that night was twofold in that he had a bad game and Dijksteel was apparently excellent at right back, moving the latter ahead of the former in the pecking order.

Hopefully Barnes gets a run out on Tuesday night. He showed enough early on in preseason to indicate he has something about him, good athleticism and good going forward. It may also be best for him to go out on loan in the second half of the season to get some senior football experience.
  • Options
    Blucher said:

SDAddick said:

As you say @SDAddick, an interesting perspective from Richie Wellens.

There also can’t have been many midfield players treading the boards in the third tier over the years who go by the name of ‘Queensy’
    Oh its a top drawer name in my opinion.
  • Options

Are people leaving Reeves out of their suggested line ups because he’s injured or because he’s cack? Just wondered as I hadn’t heard that he was injured and he is most definitely cack.

Reeves isn’t ‘cack’, the problem is Sarr. We are asking him to play a game at the moment that he’s not suited for and he’s drawing attackers to him because he’s a chocolate teapot faced with hot water if he hasn’t got BFG there and he’s also expected to start each play when we have the ball and he can only play it to the left or to the right and when that stalls the player with the ball boots it across field to the other wing and leaves our midfield totally out of the play. We need somebody at the back who plays it to the guys in the midfield and let them run the show
  • Options
    The problems are that we can't score and we can't defend. Apart from that we are not bad.
  • Options
    Konsa starts, passed fitness test
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!