Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Blackpool v Charlton | Sat 27 Jan | 3pm KO | ***GAME OFF***

Comments

• Options
    bellz2002 said:

What's the difference between pitches now and in the 60s when they were often a mudbath and played in all conditions? Is it due to new safety issues or what? Just appears to be so many more games called off in past 10 years or so than used to be.

I guess we don’t want to see players slipping over and chipping a finger nail or getting a bit of dirt on their Hair bands.
  • Options
    Moral 0.0 draw
  • Options

A shame they couldn't have delayed the game by an hour, maybe they could have worked on that one corner

We still wouldn't score
  • Options
    edited January 2018

bellz2002 said:

What's the difference between pitches now and in the 60s when they were often a mudbath and played in all conditions? Is it due to new safety issues or what? Just appears to be so many more games called off in past 10 years or so than used to be.

I guess we don’t want to see players slipping over and chipping a finger nail or getting a bit of dirt on their Hair bands.
    And players these days are well paid professional athletes who train their entire lives in the hopes of having what, a 10-15 year career. And clubs are huge entities with high turnover in revenue, and with all the money at stake they don't want to risk their biggest assets.

You can see these as good or bad (or both) developments in the game, but remember Norman Hunter and his ilk didn't make tackles at anywhere near the speed that happens today. And the speed the modern game is played at makes the risk of muscle injuries more common, part of the reason they don't want to play on bog-pitches.
  • Options
    Hey! I'm up here! Sh*t happens.

No use crying over spilt milk, and all that...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Saved me a fiver. I was going to watch on iFollow today.

Sorry for all you guys that have gone. Hope some of you are making a weekend of it.
  • Options
    Alternative fixture at AFC Blackpool v Carlisle city, about a mile away I think. KO 3pm.

AFC BLACKPOOL
    Jepson Way
    Blackpool
    Lancashire FY4 5DY

https://www.afcblackpool.org.uk/default.aspx

• Options
    That pitch looks superb compared to when I was last there and it was 90% covered in sand
  • Options
    Watching 'The princess bride' on Youtube instead of ifollow
  • Options

Ohhhh good shout, haven't seen that film in ages!
  • Options

Alternative fixture at AFC Blackpool v Carlisle city, about a mile away I think. KO 3pm.

AFC BLACKPOOL
    Jepson Way
    Blackpool
    Lancashire FY4 5DY

Northwich Victoria are in their league now
  • Options
    In the ground. To my untutored eye, the pitch looks ok - nothing wrong that a bit of sand near the corner flag wouldn’t put right.
  • Options
    What pub are people heading to, if you’re staying up?
  • Options

AFC BLACKPOOL
    Jepson Way
    Blackpool
    Lancashire FY4 5DY

How is their game still on?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Hey! I'm up here! Sh*t happens.

No use crying over spilt milk, and all that...

There's the problem. The groundsmen are great dealing with rain, snow & ice. but you know what its like when a pint goes over...........
  • Options
    I live up here. The weather hasn't been that bad or unusual for this time of year. Based on today's decision i' m amazed they are able to play any home games in the winter.
  • Options
    Honestly the pitch isn’t bad at all, it’s a bit wet - Steward said Robinson didn’t want it on.

Journo on Twitter has said the Blackpool fans are saying they’ve played on a lot lot worse.
  • Options
    Croydon said:

AFC BLACKPOOL
    Jepson Way
    Blackpool
    Lancashire FY4 5DY

How is their game still on?
    Confirmed on by their 'bars manager.' as at 2.15pm. I texted him to ask. "Sure is" he said.
  • Options

AFC BLACKPOOL
    Jepson Way
    Blackpool
    Lancashire FY4 5DY

When non league trumps professional football!
  • Options

You killed my football match. Now I kill you
  • Options
    Damn... bought my Match pass on ifollow then found out it was off
  • Options
    Anything in the rumours that the game maybe played tomorrow?