Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton women news - 2023-24 fixtures (p56)

Comments

• Options
    The draw for round 5 will be covered live on the BBC News channel during their sports programme on Monday, so some time between 6.30 and 7pm.

• Options
    Is that a dual voltage British rail class 377 Electrostar?                    ... nice.   :)
  • Options
    I guess they will be playing at non league grounds but if they were drawn to West Ham, Spurs or Arsenal (and unlikely I know) they play at the man's stadiums I will go to those 3 grounds as never been to those. Only the old grounds. 
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Home against Birmingham City. That's a very disappointing draw, although I guess at least it's at home and will be more competitive than if we'd got one of the big WSL sides.

Meanwhile, highlights of the Wimbledon game are up on Youtube.
  • Options
    5 Feb: Coventry United, HOME, 2pm. At The Oakwood. £8 adult, £4 over-65 or under-18, in advance. £2 extra on the day.
    12 Feb: Sheffield United, away, 2pm. At Bramall Lane. £7 adult, £5 concessions.  Tickets from here.
    19 Feb: week off, international weekend. England v Italy (friendly) at Coventry.
    26 Feb: Birmingham City, HOME, FA Cup round 5. Time, venue & prices TBC
    5 Mar: Southampton, HOME, 2pm. At The Valley. £8 adult, £4 over-65 or under-18, in advance. £2 extra on the day.
    12 Mar: Birmingham City, away, 2pm. At St Andrews. £8 adult, £6 senior or u-18, £1 u-11. Tickets from here

The game at the Valley on 5 March isn't included in the offer that season ticket holders for the men's team can get a free ticket. Women's season ticket holders will have a paper ticket posted to them.

From what I can see on the Birmingham website, their women's matches are segregated, which I don't remember ever seeing before. Away fans get the western half of the lower bit of the main stand. I somehow doubt there's any risk of us selling out our allocation.
  • Options
    26 Feb: Birmingham City, HOME, FA Cup round 5. 2pm. At The Oakwood. £8 adult, £1 over-65 or under-18, in advance. £2 extra on the day.

Tickets are now on sale from the club website. Season tickets won't be valid, as it's the FA Cup. From this round onwards the default kickoff shifts from 1pm to 2pm as it's assumed everyone still involved will have lights.
  • Options
    Anyone with a women's team season ticket, keep an eye on the post - my ticket for the Valley game on 5 March arrived this morning. Not bad, receiving it before tickets are on general sale.
  • Options
    Goalless at the break against a drastically improved Coventry.  Even game
  • Options
    Break in play.  Ella Rutherford is in a bad way having hurt her knee in a challenge.  She’s audibly in a lot of pain and in need of a stretcher.
  • Options
    Was she stretchered off in the end?
    Poor girl, hope it isn’t too bad 🙏🏻🤞🏼
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Was she stretchered off in the end?
    Poor girl, hope it isn’t too bad 🙏🏻🤞🏼
    Yes. Just being loaded into an ambulance I think. 

Didn’t look great and she was in a lot of pain 

still goalless
  • Options
    12 additional minutes to break the deadlock

coventry Defending in numbers!
  • Options
    All over 1-0

not pretty but deserved
  • Options
    Delighted 😁 
  • Options
    not the best game but great result
  • Options
    Glad we won but hope Rutherford OK
  • Options
    Scrappy game but deserved the win. Ref didn't give a blatant handball in the first half (girl's hand above head height) and missed a few chances. Rutherford certainly in pain and wish her all the best. 
  • Options
    Best crowd of the season, 556
  • Options
    I understand Ella has done an ACL. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Crusty54 said:
    Feck!
    Thats really not good 😌 
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Crusty54 said:

That is really sad for Ella Rutherford.

When you consider that the 3 top European female players in the recent Balloon d'Or:
    Alexia Putellas, Beth Mead and Vivianne Miedema are all injured with ACL's.
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:

That is really sad for Ella Rutherford.

When you consider that the 3 top European female players in the recent Balloon d'Or:
    Alexia Putellas, Beth Mead and Vivianne Miedema are all injured with ACL's.
    4 Charlton Women players recently now. Nike are launching a boot designed especially for women which may reduce this injury amongst women players.
  • Options
    26 Feb: Birmingham City, HOME, FA Cup round 5. 2pm. At The Oakwood. £8 adult, £1 over-65 or under-18, in advance. £2 extra on the day.

Tickets are now on sale from the club website. Season tickets won't be valid, as it's the FA Cup. From this round onwards the default kickoff shifts from 1pm to 2pm as it's assumed everyone still involved will have lights.
    Checked at the ticket office today (and bought a ticket). Anyone over 11 years will have to pay the £8.
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:

Checked at the ticket office today (and bought a ticket). Anyone over 11 years will have to pay the £8.
    Checking the ticket site, it does say under-11 not under-18. My apologies to any disappointed 12 year olds I have misled.
  • Options
    I only recently became aware of the ACL issue in the women’s game - it’s being investigated but no-one seems to have an answer. I met Hannah Godfrey of CAFC (who has been out with it for three months) recently. Wishing Ella and all others a speedy recovery. 
  • Options
    It was heavily discussed in the build up to the Euros final.
    Thats when a few of the England girls mentioned they’d been approached by the boot manufacturers to see if they could customise boots specifically for girls.
    I think it would be mad not to tbh
  • Options
    I only recently became aware of the ACL issue in the women’s game - it’s being investigated but no-one seems to have an answer. I met Hannah Godfrey of CAFC (who has been out with it for three months) recently. Wishing Ella and all others a speedy recovery. 
    It's down to a variety of factors. Boots designed for women are needed but it has been suggested that training for women needs to be changed to strengthen muscles and ligaments.
  • Options
    I expect the training angle is something that hasn't properly been explored. At lot of women's teams are run and trained by men. Probably the way you would train a man ignoring the physiological differences (excuse the political incorrectness!)
  • Options
    edited February 2023

I believe it was about a decade ago when I realized that the Percentage of female players in the top two divisions that had suffered with ACL'S was higher than Male footballers.

One suggestion was the female body shape but Ellen White (3 ACL) and Vivianne Miedema's body shape is different to Beth Mead's for example. Still different to men and the likes of John Salako and JFC had 2 ACL injuries so not a simple explanation.

I wonder about Woman's rugby but its a different type of contact sport. 

Though the recently retired England's record goal scorer's body shape is definitely changing as Ellen and her hubby are expecting their first baby !