Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Memorable graffiti round London from over the years

Comments

• Options

I remember “Be Cool But Care” along a local railway line somewhere?!? I’m guessing maybe between Kidbrooke and Blackheath?

I remember this.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    This used to be all over the place at school in the late 70’s/early 80’s. Didn’t have a clue what it was and thought it just spelled Bom. I even asked my Dad what it was and he didn’t know. Was ages before someone told me it stood for British Movement
  • Options
    Years ago late 70's on the inside of a old routemaster bus.They had an advert which said "Please move down inside the bus,to make some more room for us"
    underneath in black marker was written "That is right without a doubt,but how the fuck do I get out"

Well it tickled me anyway :)
  • Options
    The one that always hit my funny bone was on the wall in one of the cellars at Greenwich baths - local bands used to practice in there.
    Amongst a lot of other scrawl was

"WATTIE IS A FUCKING NORTHERN SHITBUCKET"

Wattie being lead singer of the Exploited, a second wave of punk band, obviously someone in South London had taken a dislike to him....
  • Options
    “Far away is close at hand in images of elsewhere” used to be visible from trains outside Paddington.

“Fuk of Cunt” on wall of Erith Scool in about 1970. We used to try to order one in local shops. Education isn’t what it used to be
  • Options
    Used to see “John + Monkey” about a lot (mainly in Sidcup) in the 80’s.
  • Options
    milo said:

Logger jeal got poo finger’ in Pelton Road as you walked to the Thames waterfront. Anyone that drank in the Cutty Sark pub would probably have seen it.

It was there for decades, never understood it.

And on the Woolwich Road just before the flyover ‘the blows off’ - never got that either

It was a line that John Lennon cut from the final version of "Come Together"...
  • Options
    In the Lord Northbrook in Lee, pre refurb, there was a great bit of graffiti on the back of the toilet door. "Charlton B-Mob where the f*ck are Millwall", or something similar. Someone had drawn an arrow at b-mob and written "2 bob c_nts", so i guess there were some Millwall who drank in there. Always made me laugh
  • Options

I remember “Be Cool But Care” along a local railway line somewhere?!? I’m guessing maybe between Kidbrooke and Blackheath?

I remember this.
    Between blackheath/lewisham, Also a stop clause 28 (might be the wrong number) there for years.

I regularly drive underneath the give Peas a chance M25 bridge near M40 junction, starting to fade now with lots more modern graffiti alongside it
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Riviera said:

"George Davies is innocent"

He wasn't though was he?
    Of that crime, yes.*

Of various others, no.

*I heard he couldn’t have done it because he was doing another job at the same time.
  • Options
    YTS1978 said:

In the Lord Northbrook in Lee, pre refurb, there was a great bit of graffiti on the back of the toilet door. "Charlton B-Mob where the f*ck are Millwall", or something similar. Someone had drawn an arrow at b-mob and written "2 bob c_nts", so i guess there were some Millwall who drank in there. Always made me laugh

Ha, social media of yesteryear.
  • Options

On the foot tunnel in Floyd Road, right opposite the club shop:
    "Langton must die"

It was there for years, but I never met anyone who knew the story behind it.

It was going to be

Langton must die Addicks unterstützen.

It was done by one of our German supporters but he got interrupted before he could finish.
  • Options

YTS1978 said:

Ha, social media of yesteryear. </blockquote

Indeed! That place was a shithole, but I was very disappointed they didn't preserve the graffiti and hang it up somewhere in the pub, as a nod to its pre-gastro roots! Bit like when they renovate places and accidentally uncover tiles under the plaster, or a beautiful wooden floor under the carpet and then lovingly restore them!

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Outside the dole office when it was in Norman Road:

Cats like plain crisps

There was another that began “Princes of the satin wage” but I can’t remember it all.
  • Options
    Saw this scrawled on a wall.
    Don't drink and drive, smoke dope and fly.
  • Options
    Wise words from a graffiti artist.
    "Life is like a shit sandwich, the more bread you have the less shit you eat".
  • Options
    On the bog wall in the The Stag back in the 80's was...

"Ein volk, Ein Rech, Ein Brian Smith" (Sheffield United FC)
  • Options
    In Tun Wells in the early 90s someone wrote 'STOP THIS WAR'. A few months later someone else tried to change 'war' to 'wabbit' but got disturbed, so for years it said 'STOP THIS WABBI'.
  • Options
    Uboat said:

In Tun Wells in the early 90s someone wrote 'STOP THIS WAR'. A few months later someone else tried to change 'war' to 'wabbit' but got disturbed, so for years it said 'STOP THIS WABBI'.

who disturbed you?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    UNORFADOX written on a railway bridge on North Circular
  • Options
    When I was growing up there was some Graffiti underneath the railway line on Well Hall Road which read ‘Biggest British Problem Grafetti’. Some came along and sprayed underneath ‘second British problem - Spelling’.
  • Options
    If anyone would have ventured around to the garages in Prentice Court mid 80s they would have witnessed " SINK HEADS ARE BACK".
    The purpretrator of said graffiti was informed of his error.
    He actually lived in a ground floor flat around there.

Another good one on bog walls was (on one side), bog tennis look right.
    And on other side "look left".
  • Options

If anyone would have ventured around to the garages in Prentice Court mid 80s they would have witnessed " SINK HEADS ARE BACK".

I have to confess I am still non the wiser on either bits of graffiti - I've had a long lunch and tried and tried to work these out - but I still don't get them - sorry (and don't rip the p#ss if it's stunningly obvious)
  • Options
    "langton must die" was in a few places---- was told it was from Skinhead days and it was a guy who use to go to charlton and had pissed West Ham off ---it was on a wall near a bridge over the A2 at Blackheath "Langton will die ----WHU"
  • Options
    Beardface said:

Is that outside The Den?
  • Options

I have to confess I am still non the wiser on either bits of graffiti - I've had a long lunch and tried and tried to work these out - but I still don't get them - sorry (and don't rip the p#ss if it's stunningly obvious)
    1. Re-arrange SINK
    2. What do you spend a lot of time doing with your head when watching tennis.
  • Options

"langton must die" was in a few places---- was told it was from Skinhead days and it was a guy who use to go to charlton and had pissed West Ham off ---it was on a wall near a bridge over the A2 at Blackheath "Langton will die ----WHU"

Wonder if he's still alive.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Wasn't nothing to do with Coronation Street (at the time) was it?
    Maybe their was a few avid West Ham fans who took an interest?