Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Memorable graffiti round London from over the years

Comments

• edited February 2018
    CAFC

From OFAH
  • Some of it is witty and some artistic but 99% is shite.
    Have a thought for those out in all weathers trying to get it off.
  • I remember seeing something in the Deptford area years ago, I think it was "I spit on your 47 vegetables". What is that supposed to mean?
  • Not London, but this was done on the side of a carriage from the heritage railway near my old house in Kidderminster.

• I remember “Be Cool But Care” along a local railway line somewhere?!? I’m guessing maybe between Kidbrooke and Blackheath?

Definitely outside Blackheath station on the way to Lewisham.

It was accompanied a little down the track by "LONG MAY THE SUN SHINE UPON YOU". Both very 60s.
  • In a similar vein, I remember something at school (Eltham Green) in the 60s....

If I were the sun
    And I saw the things that people had done
    I would eclipse myself
    For ever

Thought that was pretty cool too, but can't recall exactly where it was though.
  • Two I always liked from Southampton - someone had graffitid THE PIRATE BAY over a closed down blockbuster, and someone else on the side of a fish and chip shop in massive letters is CHIPS
  • I seem to remember the Dire Straits love over gold album title was taken from a Deptford graffiti/mural, a couple of them grew up in the area allegedly.
  • This little gem was done in Thamesmead a couple of years ago , it was only there a few days then the council painted it over .
  • Sponsored links:

• On the foot tunnel in Floyd Road, right opposite the club shop:
    "Langton must die"

It was there for years, but I never met anyone who knew the story behind it.

The person who this is about has been going to Charlton for years and is still about.

Will be talking with him in the next few days ,i know the story behind it but will get his okay first before saying anything.

Seen a great photo of him standing beside it .
  • Davo55 said:

I remember “Be Cool But Care” along a local railway line somewhere?!? I’m guessing maybe between Kidbrooke and Blackheath?

Definitely outside Blackheath station on the way to Lewisham.

It was accompanied a little down the track by "LONG MAY THE SUN SHINE UPON YOU". Both very 60s.
    I remember them too,they were there for years.
    Think it was actually worded "May the long time sun shine upon you"
  • edited February 2018
    DA9 Mark kofler was Jools Hollands lodger when he lived in Deptford and they did a spontaneous gig at my local when i lived there we called the boozer "the mad house" was next to the power station---so Dire Straights were defo in Deptford around 1979
  • Don’t like graffiti.
  • Give peas a chance.
  • Remember one as a kid in Lewisham on the railway bridge “Sidney is a Puff”, said a lot for the schooling system in Lewisham in the 70’s
  • My favourite was when the "Free Oz" on the side of a pub in Plumstead was turned into Free Booze with an arrow pointing to the front.

I was innocent, my lawyer fucked me.
  • It even has websites dedicated to it - genius

@bdl - whats this about your gusset?
  • Sponsored links:

• Secret walls

In the nomadic garden just off Bethnal green rd best place for London graffiti
  • rananegra said:

I remember in the early 80s there was what would now be called a viral marketing campaign by the band "Case" who painted their name all over the place - it was on one of the bridges next to the Blackwall Tunnel. I used to have their record it was a cracker.

And googling it found some more info about them
    http://transpont.blogspot.co.uk/2010/04/case-croydon-oi-and-oldest-graffiti-in.html

Case are still gigging oçcasionally.
  • Solidgone said:

Give peas a chance.

It’s still there, read my post further up
  • DA9 Mark kofler was Jools Hollands lodger when he lived in Deptford and they did a spontaneous gig at my local when i lived there we called the boozer "the mad house" was next to the power station---so Dire Straights were defo in Deptford around 1979

transpont.blogspot.co.uk/2009/11/dire-straits-in-deptford.html?m=1
  • Not sure if the wayward dart, a good 20 ft up, is still at Barnhurst station, but if so should definitely be listed as some kind of memorial to bad dart players everywhere.
  • Used to be a road sign about ten feet up outside what is now Lewisham nick and someone had written on it “go go gadget arms”
  • stonemuse said:

DA9 Mark kofler was Jools Hollands lodger when he lived in Deptford and they did a spontaneous gig at my local when i lived there we called the boozer "the mad house" was next to the power station---so Dire Straights were defo in Deptford around 1979

transpont.blogspot.co.uk/2009/11/dire-straits-in-deptford.html?m=1
    An old friend of mine had them play at his wedding reception around that time.
  • There is a great one on the M25 as you go clockwise towards Watford.

"GIVE PEAS A CHANCE"
  • At the Student's Union in Plymouth Uni in the early 2000's someone had written:

"As I sat here broken hearted,
    I tried to shit but only farted!"