Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Has a spelling mistake ever pissed you off

Comments

• Options
    Of course we don’t regularly write letters these days so much of the polite conventions have dwindled away but I do remember for mischievous reasons often starting my letters to officialdom with 
    Dear Sir / Madman
    Why was you writing letters to Sandgaard.?
  • Options
    I have an inexplicable on going problem with choosing the correct usage of the words bare, bear or bair.
    Gets me every time.😩
  • Options
    I have an inexplicable on going problem with choosing the correct usage of the words bare, bear or bair.
    Gets me every time.😩
    What's bair when it's at home?
    Bare as in naked, bear as in the animal, bear as in carry. 
  • Options
    Was fucked off when my sexy milf boss sacked me!  One fucking letter...
  • Options
    Not a misspelling but my favourite website address was when Powergen set up their website for Italy - www.powergenitalia.com.
    don't forget the pen/pencil stationery shop whose website was penisland.com and the website listing agents for actors which was whorepresents.com 
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    As a bit of a spelling nazi who works with a load of very well educated engineers not a Day passes when I don’t want to punch someone for brutalising our language
    You’ve just outed yourself, presumably you’re one of CL’s Gramar Police?
  • Options
    Anyone else had a simple spelling mistake make them mad?
    It’s very rare for a spelling not to piss me off. 
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    limeygent said:
    I was working on my genealogy a while back, and after going back a few generations successfully found out that my surname could be spelled about six different ways. Apparently during the time when not everybody could read and write, the census takers spelled peoples names the way they thought they should. My genealogy research has been very challenging as a result.
    Is it Slimy Gent?
  • Options
    Two give me the pip, Brake with regards to vehicle being spelt Break, and Great as in Great Britain being spelt Grate
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As a bit of a spelling nazi who works with a load of very well educated engineers not a Day passes when I don’t want to punch someone for brutalising our language
    Do they punch you back for unnecessary capital letters and missing full stops?
    And a good kicking for the missing comma?
  • Options
    Darrel being spelled Daryl or Darryl or Darel
  • Options
    Daryl or Darryl or Darel being spelled Darrel
  • Options
    Spelled being spelled as spelt 

spelt being spelt as spelled 

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Not a misspelling but my favourite website address was when Powergen set up their website for Italy - www.powergenitalia.com.
    don't forget the pen/pencil stationery shop whose website was penisland.com and the website listing agents for actors which was whorepresents.com 
    If I recall correctly, it was the tourist information site for Pen Island, not a stationary shop
  • Options
    Lack of proper punctuation pisses me off. 
  • Options
    Of course we don’t regularly write letters these days so much of the polite conventions have dwindled away but I do remember for mischievous reasons often starting my letters to officialdom with 
    Dear Sir / Madman
    sir/madam always used to be the write way of course. I honestly don't know what would be the correct way for a formal letter!
  • Options
    The various wrong spelling of the word accommodation, always annoys me
  • Options
    It didn't piss me off but it made me laugh. A supervisor's appraisal of a junior member of staff: "his speeling is not very good".
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I had a manager in Thailand who used to give cheques every week to staff. She used to send me an email each week before issuing the cheques which read, “Tomorrow I will sing the cheques. The total is xxxxx”. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    My name is actually Darrel so I see y's, l's, r's and n's dropping into my name or replacing other letters all the time. Do not disrespect someone by spelling their name incorrectly, it's rather upsetting.
    I blame your parents, with all due respect.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    When people spell shite, when they mean shit.
    Wet spam instead of West Ham.
    Both examples make the writer come across as childish.

However, a good sketch of cock and balls where you least expect to find it, is not childish, but very humorous 
  • Options
    Used to be a chippy in Penge that advertised Fish, Chips and Burger's.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Darrel being spelled Daryl or Darryl or Darel
    To be fair i'd say that Daryl and Darryl are both far more common than Darrel.
  • Options
    What play was it? Debbie Does Dallas?