Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Bradford 13/2/18 post-match views

Comments

• Options
    JamesSeed said:

clb74 said:

JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

clb74 said:

Blimey Covered end you couldn't get enough of Robinson at the Bromley meeting

He was on a roll then. There were 100+ there and not one critical question from the shrinking violet antis ;-)
    I think most fans generally agree on KR. He seems to be able to motivate players at times, but not enough to make them a consistently winning team.

He stubbornly refuses to play any other system than 4-2-3-1 and everyone can see it is not working.

He appears to be tactically redundant and gets outwitted by the majority of other coaches.

He's recruited a squad of talented but short light weight players and then complains every game, when they are "roughed up". Well it was your choice KR and if you don't know L1 by now you should.
    And to cap it all he won’t play Aribo, and tells the team to slow the pace of the game down when we’re winning. I’m not impressed at all.

But my point was, where were all the knockers at the meetings? If they were there they were sitting on their hands.
    I was there James and i did ask a couple of questions at the meeting.

I don’t really remember any negative questions, although I remember him talking about the 4231 formation. Defending it from your vicious questioning maybe? ;-) My comment about Sarr certainly has him on the ropes.

But you remember the mood was very positive as we were playing well and winning matches. The mood would be very different if he was a guest today. It shows how things have gone so badly wrong since then’ which is a shame for us, Karl and the club generally.

I get singled out as a Karl defender, but I’ve been critical for some time. Increasingly so at the moment for his tactical naivety and intransigence. And I wish he’d hold his hand up when he gets things wrong. But no doubt a few wins and a tactical switch up and I’ll be more positive.

Some of the comments on the forum are over the top and overly personal. Gobby scouser, Fat Controller. It’s all pretty embarrassing isn’t it? Or perhaps we’ve been watching too much Arsenal Fan TV? Maybe I’m just out of touch. It just lacks class to me. Especially as he’s always so complimentary about Charlton fans.
    Despite your name, I dont think you've been around football very long.
  • Options
    Marshall's curling effort was going in but for a brilliant save from their keeper onto the post. Had a great view of that from padded seats in West Upper (my mate won a couple of tickets in the City Addicks raffle).

A draw was a fair result but both sides could've knicked it. Fosu missed a great chance late on by firing over when well placed.

The foul by Solly was bad but the one on Ajose was worse....really wreckless. Thought Ajose made a couple of neat runs (that one and Fosu nearly found him in the 6 yard box). He might surprise a few people in the run-in.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Sage said:

Also, that Ajose challenge was a joke. The defender knew exactly what he was doing and stopped Ajose progressing into the box.

Solly did something similar to an on-rushing Shrewsbury attacker moments earlier.
    He did, thank you for pointing that out as I admittedly had forgot. - I said at the time he is lucky not get more than a yellow card as it looked a bit from behind and was never going to get the ball, it was like a professional tackle to stop the attack from progressing.

However, I do think that the Ajose one was a little worse. The location on the pitch it was, the fact it prevented him to progress into the box, the fact the Bradford player was absolutely nowhere near the ball and completely took out Ajose.

Either way, I do think the referee could've controlled the game better than it played out. It was always going to be 'competitive' as Grayson put it.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

clb74 said:

He was on a roll then. There were 100+ there and not one critical question from the shrinking violet antis ;-)
    I think most fans generally agree on KR. He seems to be able to motivate players at times, but not enough to make them a consistently winning team.

He stubbornly refuses to play any other system than 4-2-3-1 and everyone can see it is not working.

He appears to be tactically redundant and gets outwitted by the majority of other coaches.

He's recruited a squad of talented but short light weight players and then complains every game, when they are "roughed up". Well it was your choice KR and if you don't know L1 by now you should.
    And to cap it all he won’t play Aribo, and tells the team to slow the pace of the game down when we’re winning. I’m not impressed at all.

But my point was, where were all the knockers at the meetings? If they were there they were sitting on their hands.
    In my experience that’s always been the case in such situations, with the partial exception of Meire. There’s a courtesy / deference factor involved. The guest is “giving up their time” to meet fans and even if there are critics there a majority of those present will want to keep things on an even keel. People will very rarely criticise a club guest to their face. And if they did it would probably be counter-productive.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Greenie said:

JamesSeed said:

clb74 said:

JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

clb74 said:

I don’t really remember any negative questions, although I remember him talking about the 4231 formation. Defending it from your vicious questioning maybe? ;-) My comment about Sarr certainly has him on the ropes.

But you remember the mood was very positive as we were playing well and winning matches. The mood would be very different if he was a guest today. It shows how things have gone so badly wrong since then’ which is a shame for us, Karl and the club generally.

I get singled out as a Karl defender, but I’ve been critical for some time. Increasingly so at the moment for his tactical naivety and intransigence. And I wish he’d hold his hand up when he gets things wrong. But no doubt a few wins and a tactical switch up and I’ll be more positive.

Some of the comments on the forum are over the top and overly personal. Gobby scouser, Fat Controller. It’s all pretty embarrassing isn’t it? Or perhaps we’ve been watching too much Arsenal Fan TV? Maybe I’m just out of touch. It just lacks class to me. Especially as he’s always so complimentary about Charlton fans.
    Since 1964? Despite your name I think you’ve been around too long. 26 flags for abuse tells its own story. You’re a bully maybe @Greenie ?
    Weird.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Greenie said:

JamesSeed said:

clb74 said:

JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

clb74 said:

Since 1964? Despite your name I think you’ve been around too long. 26 flags for abuse tells its own story. You’re a bully maybe @Greenie ?
    Yep thats right, be afraid mate, I'll have yer dinner money and flush yer head down the bog.
    OR
    Maybe it was a joke....a joke.....you decide, oh you have....!

Where do we get 'em from??
  • Options
    The Solly tackle was the classic "taking one for the team" tackle to stop their attack, someone had to do it. A "bad" yellow, rather than a red though

I was actually more concerned about Fosu picking up another yellow. He was cautioned for a high foot, giving them a free kick opportunity. I suspect that if he hadn't already been booked, he would have picked up a yellow for that
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    First you're a bully. Then a twat. Then a revolutionary
  • Options
    Greenie said:

JamesSeed said:

Greenie said:

JamesSeed said:

clb74 said:

JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

clb74 said:

Yep thats right, be afraid mate, I'll have yer dinner money and flush yer head down the bog.
    OR

You see, you do have a sense of humour.
  • Options
    edited February 2018

The Solly tackle was the classic "taking one for the team" tackle to stop their attack, someone had to do it. A "bad" yellow, rather than a red though

I was actually more concerned about Fosu picking up another yellow. He was cautioned for a high foot, giving them a free kick opportunity. I suspect that if he hadn't already been booked, he would have picked up a yellow for that

It's about time we started taking opposition players out on the half way line, rather than letting them run through unchallenged to score.

Despite this did anyone else notice how our players were saying sorry for fouling them & giving their players a little rub of the head or a pat ?
    Ffs man up Charlton, it's no wonder no one is intimidated playing us. Don't say sorry, say I'll get you good & proper next time. We'll be apologising for scoring soon.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Greenie said:

JamesSeed said:

Greenie said:

JamesSeed said:

clb74 said:

JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

clb74 said:

OR

Oh dear oh dear.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Cool.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Leuth said:

Anyone here think that Marshall could play RB if Solly got injured?

Yes - badly! As a wing back though maybe.....his strongest position is Right midfield in a 4-4-2. That would mean changing formation - and that ain’t gonna happen!
  • Options
    edited February 2018

It's about time we started taking opposition players out on the half way line, rather than letting them run through unchallenged to score.

Despite this did anyone else notice how our players were saying sorry for fouling them & giving their players a little rub of the head or a pat ?
    Ffs man up Charlton, it's no wonder no one is intimidated playing us. Don't say sorry, say I'll get you good & proper next time. We'll be apologising for scoring soon.
    We lack a midfield enforcer. We should consider my new mate @Greenie
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Leuth said:

Cool.
    I feel my post might have been clearer if my own flag count was visible in it. What I mean is, that you are all pretenders to the throne
  • Options
    Greenie said:

JamesSeed said:

Greenie said:

JamesSeed said:

Greenie said:

JamesSeed said:

clb74 said:

JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

clb74 said:

OR

Oh dear oh dear.
    Ok you’re probably right, I’m being dumb. This is a football forum and I’m way too sensitive.
    Apologies an’ all that.

PS Please don’t stick my head down the toilet.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Greenie said:

Leuth said:

Cool.
    I feel my post might have been clearer if my own flag count was visible in it. What I mean is, that you are all pretenders to the throne
    @leuth I thought you were a softie!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You've deeply offended me
  • Options
    Hopefully Pearce will be back in the side but I think we are just not physical enough where it matters - midfield - and we just get over-run in the last 20 minutes of most games, thus putting more pressure on the back four. Simples really, of course if we were to start scoring goals when we are on top, different story.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

You've deeply offended me

Snowflake
  • Options
    addick05 said:

Hopefully Pearce will be back in the side but I think we are just not physical enough where it matters - midfield - and we just get over-run in the last 20 minutes of most games, thus putting more pressure on the back four. Simples really, of course if we were to start scoring goals when we are on top, different story.

Playing in an under 23 side next Monday, so unlikely to be in the squad this week
  • Options
    ross1 said:

addick05 said:

Playing in an under 23 side next Monday, so unlikely to be in the squad this week
    Ooh I could flag you for that :smile:
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Only been to a couple of matches in last two seasons. Given that Reeves was KRs 1st choice no 10 and despite being fit(ish) he hadn't featured in our recent losses, who has that role? Do front four rotate? Is that why we let teams get at us, none know their defensive role?
  • Options

Ten observations:

1. Despite a stable, full pre season, we consistently don’t look fit enough to last 90 mins
    2. We played some lovely stuff, attacking with verve and intent, until we scored. And then we changed.
    3. Dasilva is getting better and looked a class above anything else in our team. We will miss him next year
    4. On the other side, Solly is worryingly looking a shadow of the stand out player he was a few seasons ago
    5. Took much attacking play is now on Fosu’s shoulders. He’s a real box of tricks and he will make wrong decisions and frustrate, but he’s an exciting player and will be getting special attention from opposition.
    6. Pleased for Magennis, I’d still rather see him with a partner playing off him in a two
    7. I’d pick one from Kashi / Forster-Caskey. If Jake is not getting in the box and chipping in with shots / goals, there is not enough variation there.
    8. Kaikai looked decent, and seemed to link well with Fosu. We need End product with this inter-play stuff though
    9. I’m happier with Bauer in the back four. I’d be even happier with Pearce there
    10. RobInson needs the team to finish the season strongly to stand a chance of saving his job. We are not currently a team getting better, and we need to be.

Interesting that Robinson picks up on point one, in his press conference yesterday by bringing out spreadsheets about the players fitness. So how long have you been a lifer and do you agree with the latest "Would Ya?"

• Options
    The ebb and flow of this forum is fascinating. The rage and fury immediately after a defeat, followed by resigned reasoning, a period of calm, then the build up of hope and groundless optimism. All to be cruelly dashed once again. Repeat.

After a win it's all a bit less frantic, from what I can remember.

It's always useful to have pot noodles and the EU to fall back on midweek.
  • Options

Scoham said:

Rob7Lee said:

My conclusion, we have some good players on the 'skill' front. Fosu, JFK and others. What all of them pretty much lack (and i'm including Robinson in that) is a footballing brain.

When there is the choice of a pass or a shot we choose the wrong one, when there's two passes on we chose the wrong one. The only one who doesn't with any regularity is Da Silva.

Thats whats costing us and stopping us from being higher, and something we can't really change.

Add to that, Robinsons subs and their timing in particular were awful again, can anyone tell me what was our shape for the last 10 minutes?

It's harder to make the right decisions when you're playing in front of a team sitting back. Our patient passing style gives teams time to get back and get themselves organised.

How often do we get in behind teams?
    How many properly clear cut chances do we create?
    How many penalties do we win?
    How often do we score from set pieces?

Maybe KR needs to sacrifice his ideal style and try something else. It would be less predictable and having the option of going more direct can create different types of chances.

So often we're asking one of our flair players to beat 2/3 players and whip a perfect cross against out outnumbered attack, or score a wonder goal.
    I should imagine even KR can see his system isn't working. Presumably he's too stubborn or stupid to change it and probably both, bearing in mind MKD fans warned us this would happen.
    It's odd that people haven't noticed when he has changed it (when subs have come on).
    He should change from the start sometimes, if not only to keep opposition managers guessing.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

The ebb and flow of this forum is fascinating. The rage and fury immediately after a defeat, followed by resigned reasoning, a period of calm, then the build up of hope and groundless optimism. All to be cruelly dashed once again. Repeat.

After a win it's all a bit less frantic, from what I can remember.

It's always useful to have pot noodles and the EU to fall back on midweek.

The life of a football fan. Completely irrational behaviour in any other context.

Meire never 'got' that with her 'customer' mentality.