Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Bradford 13/2/18 post-match views

Comments

• Options
    He has to take a lot of the blame, but he also needs to be given a chance to sort it out given we are still very much in play off contention.
  • Options
    Robinson’s weaknesses have been there to see all along. Like the way his teams set up, it is all so predictable. He attempts to cover up his shortcomings in a number of ways. The pre-season nonsense of all those games on consecutive days alongside working the players really hard. I don’t see us as amongst the fittest in the league. Two friendlies on the same day. The stars that come along to training. The revolutionary use of drones (make up your own jokes here) in training.
    If we don’t beat a really poor MK Dons side (without Chuks Aneke who picked up a hamstring injury last night) then then surely even the most ardent fan of our manager will realise what most of us have known for some time, Robinson really isn’t all that.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Ajose tackle could have been a red. Wreckless challenge, seen a few times now and it's Filth.

Our issue is we are a team of bottlers. As soon as we score we get rattled!
  • Options
    If we had a decent manager we would be doing far better - the last 3 games have demonstrated KR's shortcomings.

Once the takeover goes through I'll be happy for him to go unless by some miracle we dramatically improve.
  • Options
    Kashi and JFC are a like for like sub, good if one tires. Aribo has done enough to be the other in the pairing and could be replaced by..........

• Options

JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

Said it before and i'll say it again, we have a much better squad than Shrewsbury. But we have a manager who has 1 formation, no clue on how to adjust things depending on how the game is developing and who doesn't appear to know how to get the best out of his players.

If we'd swapped managers back in August then i'd bet every last penny that the Shrewsbury manager would have us higher in the table than 7th, and that Robinson would have Shrewsbury nowhere near the play offs.

Why? Where's your evidence.

I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if we have roughly similar squads. Your comments about the Shrewsbury manager are all speculation. I'm guessing you don't even know his name.

Criticise Robbo by all means, and I did in my match review, but leave Shrewsbury and their squad of legends out of it.
    He's been a success and won promotion at every club he's been at. Then took over a Shrewsbury side who were BOTTOM of league one less than 18 months ago. Kept them up, and now has them TOP of league one.

Tell me what Robinson has done. One successful season with MK Dons when he was fortunate enough to get Will Grigg and Benik Afobe in on loan and have a kid called Dele Alli come out of the youth team.

Hurst took over Shrewsbury in October 2016 and took them from bottom to 18th.
    Robinson took over in November 2016 when we were 11th and 3 points off the play offs. We finished 13th, and were 13 points off the play offs.

Hurst now has Shrewsbury top of the league.
    Robinson has us treading water and actually closer to the relegation zone (14 points) than the promotion places (15 points).

So i stand by my opinion that if we'd swapped managers we'd be doing better under Hurst and Shrewsbury would be worse off under Robinson.
    You've just looked him up lol
    You accused Chris of using results to push his anti-Robinson agenda a couple of days ago. As a manager, that’s exactly what he should be judged on. And our recent loss of points is down to Robinson.

You’ve not only been provided with opinion, but fact as welll.

It appears you’re the only person with an ‘agenda’.
    Chill. Read my match review. I'm critical of Robinson. Increasingly so. Based on what I see on the pitch though. I just don't agree that we have one of the top three squads in the league. Under Duchatelet? Are you sure about that @Chris_from_Sidcup and @ValleyGary ?!
    Absolutely no chance.

If Chris was a journalist his editor would be telling him he can't make such sweeping statements about squads without some sort of evidence. I thought initially he might have a point, but I was surprised to find when I looked up their squad that they have three players transferred from the Prem and about eight from the Champs. I'd say if anything theirs may be stronger. But you haven't convinced me that ours 'is much stronger'.

But what those stats don't tell you is the character of the squad. Jimmy Seed, Curbs and Powell all rated character higher than any other factor. I'm not sure Robinson and Gallen look closely enough at that. I could be wrong of course. It's just a guess.

However, right now I'd probably swap managers with Shrewsbury, but that would be based on a gut feeling and the way they finish games better than us (which is based on stats). And because I'm fed up with watching us playing a different way once we have a lead.

I'm also fed up with the refs in this division. If we haven't picked up injuries yesterday I'd be amazed. What did that Australian defender have against Ajose. A couple of the City players gave him a tap on the shoulder as a 'well done for taking one for the team' assuming he'd be sent off. Some have said Ajose wasn't heading straight at the goal. We'll that isn't the only factor involved in a decision like that. It was a professional foul but also reckless and dangerous. And he was through on goal, just not straight in front of the goal. Gotta be a clear red card.
  • Options
    I'll stick to last night's referee. Not fit for purpose. JFC had to go. McMahon had to go. Both correctly booked for fouls. Both subsequently committed cynical fouls, patently warranting cautions but Kinseley chose to apply his own rules. JFC clearly knew he shoulda been taking an early bath. McMahon could barely keep a straight face as the black clad bungler theatrically mimed the pull back. As for the flying drop kick on Ajose, in which universe was that not a straight red card for serious foul play? It was probably panicked clumsiness rather than sinister, it certainly wasn't denying a clear goal scoring opportunity, despite what some hysterics will shriek, but a two footed chest high assault is foul play and dangerous. To Ajosé's enormous credit, he jumped straight up, rather than roll around feigning injury. Not that that influenced Kinseley who was marching about in his own little world. The players had him rumbled early on. He ostentatiously swanned about lecturing players on holding at corners/free kicks, then took no action when they wrestled each other at the restart. Most ludicrously when he slowly, vaingloriously, lectured Bauer, Konsa and their markers at a 2nd half free kick, gesturing to keep their arms down, then when the kick was taken, Konsa's marker, without once looking at the ball, rugby tackled Konsa to the ground on the 6 yard line - Kinseley: no action. Special mention here for the perhaps vision impaired East Stand Lino - didn't give a thing the whole game, no matter how close to him or blatant the transgression.
    All of which is as effete as it is overwritten, cos Kinseley's corruption of the rules probably didn't, on balance, alter the outcome. He is though both a peacock and a coward and should hand in his whistle and yellow card today, with a cheque for his fraudulently obtained fee and expenses.
  • Options
    Against the bigger (as in size) teams we get outmuscled. KR does seem to have a liking for a certain type of player, which has left us with a side full of flairy individuals, but one with a slight lack of steel. Magennis and Pearce are our most physical players, and neither were signed by KR.

It's notable that our best recent performance was against Walsall, who play in a similar way.
  • Options

Against the bigger (as in size) teams we get outmuscled. KR does seem to have a liking for a certain type of player, which has left us with a side full of flairy individuals, but one with a slight lack of steel. Magennis and Pearce are our most physical players, and neither were signed by KR.

It's notable that our best recent performance was against Walsall, who play in a similar way.

This is one factor but only one and relatively minor in the outcome of recent games.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

If we had a decent manager we would be doing far better - the last 3 games have demonstrated KR's shortcomings.

This is weapons grade understatement - well done sir.

• Options
    Very predictable. I would argue that if we had Diarra playing instead of Forster-Caskey we would have won all our past three games. Even a half fit Diarra would dominate the mid field whereas Jake, for all his obvious talent, doesn't. Josh played well, good to see and Fosu was a delight.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

Said it before and i'll say it again, we have a much better squad than Shrewsbury. But we have a manager who has 1 formation, no clue on how to adjust things depending on how the game is developing and who doesn't appear to know how to get the best out of his players.

If we'd swapped managers back in August then i'd bet every last penny that the Shrewsbury manager would have us higher in the table than 7th, and that Robinson would have Shrewsbury nowhere near the play offs.

I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if we have roughly similar squads. Your comments about the Shrewsbury manager are all speculation. I'm guessing you don't even know his name.

Criticise Robbo by all means, and I did in my match review, but leave Shrewsbury and their squad of legends out of it.
    He's been a success and won promotion at every club he's been at. Then took over a Shrewsbury side who were BOTTOM of league one less than 18 months ago. Kept them up, and now has them TOP of league one.

Tell me what Robinson has done. One successful season with MK Dons when he was fortunate enough to get Will Grigg and Benik Afobe in on loan and have a kid called Dele Alli come out of the youth team.

Robinson took over in November 2016 when we were 11th and 3 points off the play offs. We finished 13th, and were 13 points off the play offs.

Robinson has us treading water and actually closer to the relegation zone (14 points) than the promotion places (15 points).

So i stand by my opinion that if we'd swapped managers we'd be doing better under Hurst and Shrewsbury would be worse off under Robinson.
    You accused Chris of using results to push his anti-Robinson agenda a couple of days ago. As a manager, that’s exactly what he should be judged on. And our recent loss of points is down to Robinson.

Chill. Read my match review. I'm critical of Robinson. Increasingly so. Based on what I see on the pitch though. I just don't agree that we have one of the top three squads in the league. Under Duchatelet? Are you sure about that @Chris_from_Sidcup and @ValleyGary ?!
    Absolutely no chance.

If Chris was a journalist his editor would be telling him he can't make such sweeping statements about squads without some sort of evidence. I thought initially he might have a point, but I was surprised to find when I looked up their squad that they have three players transferred from the Prem and about eight from the Champs. I'd say if anything theirs may be stronger. But you haven't convinced me that ours 'is much stronger'.

But what those stats don't tell you is the character of the squad. Jimmy Seed, Curbs and Powell all rated character higher than any other factor. I'm not sure Robinson and Gallen look closely enough at that. I could be wrong of course. It's just a guess.

However, right now I'd probably swap managers with Shrewsbury, but that would be based on a gut feeling and the way they finish games better than us (which is based on stats). And because I'm fed up with watching us playing a different way once we have a lead.

I'm also fed up with the refs in this division. If we haven't picked up injuries yesterday I'd be amazed. What did that Australian defender have against Ajose. A couple of the City players gave him a tap on the shoulder as a 'well done for taking one for the team' assuming he'd be sent off. Some have said Ajose wasn't heading straight at the goal. We'll that isn't the only factor involved in a decision like that. It was a professional foul but also reckless and dangerous. And he was through on goal, just not straight in front of the goal. Gotta be a clear red card.
    I'm sure we covered this the other day. And aside from their keeper on loan from Man U, a couple of outfield players on loan from Norwich and a kid they signed in January from Middlesbrough, their entire side who have played in the majority of their games this season are mainly from lower or non league.

Ours is the other way, with most of our squad coming from a higher level.

Not sure where all Shrewsbury's premier league and championship players are.
  • Options

The Ajose challenge was cynical and wasn't a red because he still had some work to do, but a yellow doesn't seem to be a fair punishment either. There probably isn't an answer - you just have to suck it in really.

The answer is a sin bin.

Two yellows = 10 mins in the bin
    Simulation (or "cheating" to give it its proper name) = 10 mins in the bin (possibly a suspension as well?)
    An "orange" card challenge like the one on Ajose = 15 mins in the bin
    "Professional" foul/handball denying a clear goal-scoring opportunity = 15 mins in the bin
    If you've already been in the bin, subsequent yellow cards = another 10 mins in the bin
    Violent conduct = red card (expulsion from remainder of match + automatic 3 match suspension)
  • Options

I'll stick to last night's referee.

Another little but good one. Magennis went off for treatment, play restarts, he runs back on. About a minute later the ref remembers, turns round and waves...to no one.
  • Options

JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

Absolutely no chance.

I'm sure we covered this the other day. And aside from their keeper on loan from Man U, a couple of outfield players on loan from Norwich and a kid they signed in January from Middlesbrough, their entire side who have played in the majority of their games this season are mainly from lower or non league.

Ours is the other way, with most of our squad coming from a higher level.

Not sure where all Shrewsbury's premier league and championship players are.
    They’re in their squad.
  • Options
    edited February 2018

The Ajose challenge was cynical and wasn't a red because he still had some work to do, but a yellow doesn't seem to be a fair punishment either. There probably isn't an answer - you just have to suck it in really.

The answer is a sin bin.

Simulation (or "cheating" to give it its proper name) = 10 mins in the bin (possibly a suspension as well?)
    "Professional" foul/handball denying a clear goal-scoring opportunity = 15 mins in the bin
    If you've already been in the bin, subsequent yellow cards = another 10 mins in the bin
    Violent conduct = red card (expulsion from remainder of match + automatic 3 match suspension)
    It would be appropriate, but it isn't within the current laws of the game and I doubt it will be in the short to medium term at least.
  • Options

I'll stick to last night's referee. Not fit for purpose. JFC had to go. McMahon had to go. Both correctly booked for fouls. Both subsequently committed cynical fouls, patently warranting cautions but Kinseley chose to apply his own rules. JFC clearly knew he shoulda been taking an early bath. McMahon could barely keep a straight face as the black clad bungler theatrically mimed the pull back. As for the flying drop kick on Ajose, in which universe was that not a straight red card for serious foul play? It was probably panicked clumsiness rather than sinister, it certainly wasn't denying a clear goal scoring opportunity, despite what some hysterics will shriek, but a two footed chest high assault is foul play and dangerous. To Ajosé's enormous credit, he jumped straight up, rather than roll around feigning injury. Not that that influenced Kinseley who was marching about in his own little world. The players had him rumbled early on. He ostentatiously swanned about lecturing players on holding at corners/free kicks, then took no action when they wrestled each other at the restart. Most ludicrously when he slowly, vaingloriously, lectured Bauer, Konsa and their markers at a 2nd half free kick, gesturing to keep their arms down, then when the kick was taken, Konsa's marker, without once looking at the ball, rugby tackled Konsa to the ground on the 6 yard line - Kinseley: no action. Special mention here for the perhaps vision impaired East Stand Lino - didn't give a thing the whole game, no matter how close to him or blatant the transgression.
    All of which is as effete as it is overwritten, cos Kinseley's corruption of the rules probably didn't, on balance, alter the outcome. He is though both a peacock and a coward and should hand in his whistle and yellow card today, with a cheque for his fraudulently obtained fee and expenses.

Agree with all of that. JFC stupid for the push but that tackle was late for next week and he'd had no protection so he had a bit of sympathy from me. The drag back via the collar of the shirt had me shaking my head but I lost it with the Ajose hack. From the West I could clearly see how high and studs up that was and not for one second did I doubt it was a straight red under any interpretation of the rules.
  • Options

The answer is a sin bin.

It would be appropriate, but it isn't within the current laws of the game and I doubt it will be in the short to medium term at least.
    Well it bloody should be!

The football authorities are happy to fanny about around the edges of the game, bringing in silly cosmetic changes or making unnecessary changes to the laws (offside, anyone?), but struggle with something more fundamental and beneficial.
  • Options

JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

Absolutely no chance.

Ok @JamesSeed , I’ll have a go at this, and bare in mind I’m not a Robbo-hater.

Coming from the Premier league / higher league should not be any form of indicator, just because someone is at another club does not in any way mean they can do it for you (Doodoo, Sanogo etc)

I’m convinced if you had asked all league One managers at the start of the season to look at the squads, most would have had us top three, possibly top two.

If you go through our squad this season

Keeper – Amos is not Gordon Banks but is very secure for this level, there are few better in this league

Defence – Solly, Pearce and Bauer all have considerable higher level experience. Dasilva is the stand out left back in this division, a class above. Konsa is worth millions and attracting top level interest.

Def / Midfield – Kashi also impressed at a higher league than this. Foster-Caskey is no thrills, but not a clear weak link, Aribo impresses when he plays, Jackson is a more than efficient 4th choice to have in your locker.

Mid / Attack – Holmes was wanted by the league above, Magennis has international pedigree and is wanted in the league above. Fosu could arguably make the league team of the season. Marshall is solid and provides a team role. Pretty sure most teams in this league would have taken Billy Clarke this summer. Kaikai and Malvididi (certainly the latter) look more than enough at this level.

Only mitigating argument imo is we don't have a real goal scorer in our team, but with the Magennis up top on his own approach, we don't play a style of play that would be a fit for a natural goal scorer anyway.

No need to go into the merits of each player. The only point I was making is that our squad isn’t necessarily ‘much better than Shrewsbury’s’.

We have quite a decent squad, but on paper so have Shrewsbury. Three from the Premier league, about eight from the Championship. We’ve got a few players from League One, not just higher league players. I expect a Shrewsbury fan might be able to state a case for the players in their squad.

And that’s it really.

But I do sort of agree with his main point. Yes, it’s entirely possible we’d do better if we swapped managers. We’d probably stop sitting on a lead for a start. But I don’t know that for sure. It’s just an opinion.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Posting without reading.

Deja vous.
  • Options

Our squad may not be as strong as it could be, but we do have better players than Shrewsbury.

I'd argue that's just a fallacy Mut as we see it through Charlton tinted specs. The facts and the table do not lie, and I'm not convinced that our players are actually as good as we sometimes claim them to be.
  • Options
    Still posting without reading.

I actually think the two words in my post above say it all but here goes anyway:

I arrived home last night feeling curiously indifferent to the earlier unsurprising events in SE7 and chose to talk to my wife and then read my belatedly acquired January Voice of The Valley rather than post on here.

First half we absolutely dominated for 20-25 minutes and played some good stuff which culminated in a well taken header by Josh Magennis following a brilliant run of almost the entire length of the pitch by Tarique Fosu to set him up which made getting soaked and frozen just about worthwhile overall on balance. Prior to the goal we had struck the woodwork but other than those two attacks I don't recall the Bradford goalkeeper making a save worthy of the name. Bradford came into it more after the goal but we still probably shaded the remainder of the first half.

In the second half 11 Northern gentleman of dubious personal hygiene and questionable parentage (expressed rather more succinctly and repetitively by the Covered End Choir) imposed their superior physical size and strength onto proceedings and took over control. Fosu in particular suffered some rough treatment but give him credit he wasn't afraid to come back for more. We retreated deeper and deeper and did our usual Moses trick (parting like the Red Sea) as only we know hour and an equaliser was inevitable.

Sure enough it came around the 75 minute mark and the only question then was whether Bradford would go on to claim all 3 points despite some death throe twitching for us just before the final whistle and in time added on.

Yes I know there are 14 games left and all that but last night was the proverbial six pointer and we needed to win it if we have serious aspirations of a) reaching the play offs and b) winning them.

My forecast is top 10 if we are lucky.
  • Options

He has to take a lot of the blame, but he also needs to be given a chance to sort it out given we are still very much in play off contention.

how long do we give him if we had got a more than 2 points out of recent games then i may be with you, but were chasing 6th spot yes that's right 6th spot in FECKING LEAGUE 1. the games in hand will count for f all as we will have to win them. this club doesn't do must win games we just roll over.
  • Options

JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

Absolutely no chance.

Ok @JamesSeed , I’ll have a go at this, and bare in mind I’m not a Robbo-hater.

Coming from the Premier league / higher league should not be any form of indicator, just because someone is at another club does not in any way mean they can do it for you (Doodoo, Sanogo etc)

I’m convinced if you had asked all league One managers at the start of the season to look at the squads, most would have had us top three, possibly top two.

If you go through our squad this season

Keeper – Amos is not Gordon Banks but is very secure for this level, there are few better in this league

Defence – Solly, Pearce and Bauer all have considerable higher level experience. Dasilva is the stand out left back in this division, a class above. Konsa is worth millions and attracting top level interest.

Def / Midfield – Kashi also impressed at a higher league than this. Foster-Caskey is no thrills, but not a clear weak link, Aribo impresses when he plays, Jackson is a more than efficient 4th choice to have in your locker.

Mid / Attack – Holmes was wanted by the league above, Magennis has international pedigree and is wanted in the league above. Fosu could arguably make the league team of the season. Marshall is solid and provides a team role. Pretty sure most teams in this league would have taken Billy Clarke this summer. Kaikai and Malvididi (certainly the latter) look more than enough at this level.

Only mitigating argument imo is we don't have a real goal scorer in our team, but with the Magennis up top on his own approach, we don't play a style of play that would be a fit for a natural goal scorer anyway.

No need to go into the merits of each player. The only point I was making is that our squad isn’t necessarily ‘much better than Shrewsbury’s’.

We have quite a decent squad, but on paper so have Shrewsbury. Three from the Premier league, about eight from the Championship. We’ve got a few players from League One, not just higher league players. I expect a Shrewsbury fan might be able to state a case for the players in their squad.

And that’s it really.
    Hold up @JamesSeed you can't have it both ways squire. You can't on one hand accuse people of making 'sweeping statements about squads without some sort of evidence' and then on the other hand dismiss a breakdown of the key components of the squad as not needed. Squads are made up of individuals, its the first place you look for evidence' !!

You want to defend this point about your retrospective study of the Shrewsbury squad, fair enough. My point is I don't think any people who work in the game and know it a hell of a lot better than me and you would have looked at our respective squads at the start of the season and backed Shrewsbury to finish above us. And I am 100% convinced that not one person would have seen them finishing 25 points ahead of us (as it currently looks like they will).

Do you, even with your retrospective look, genuinely believe Shrewsbury's squad (particularly based on their resources) should be 25 points ahead of ours?

Along with their outperformance there is undoubtedly a degree of underperformance on our part. No one would convince me otherwise of that.

shrewsbury sqaud still havent got a better sqaud than us, look rolands a twat but recent results are the fault of a manager who doesnt have tactics and is trying to win fans over by challenging referees.
  • Options

how long do we give him if we had got a more than 2 points out of recent games then i may be with you, but were chasing 6th spot yes that's right 6th spot in FECKING LEAGUE 1. the games in hand will count for f all as we will have to win them. this club doesn't do must win games we just roll over.
    I'd give him until the end of the season. Let him sort things out - We are not getting relegated and he knows what is expected of him.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Still posting without reading.

I actually think the two words in my post above say it all but here goes anyway:

I arrived home last night feeling curiously indifferent to the earlier unsurprising events in SE7 and chose to talk to my wife and then read my belatedly acquired January Voice of The Valley rather than post on here.

First half we absolutely dominated for 20-25 minutes and played some good stuff which culminated in a well taken header by Josh Magennis following a brilliant run of almost the entire length of the pitch by Tarique Fosu to set him up which made getting soaked and frozen just about worthwhile overall on balance. Prior to the goal we had struck the woodwork but other than those two attacks I don't recall the Bradford goalkeeper making a save worthy of the name. Bradford came into it more after the goal but we still probably shaded the remainder of the first half.

In the second half 11 Northern gentleman of dubious personal hygiene and questionable parentage (expressed rather more succinctly and repetitively by the Covered End Choir) imposed their superior physical size and strength onto proceedings and took over control. Fosu in particular suffered some rough treatment but give him credit he wasn't afraid to come back for more. We retreated deeper and deeper and did our usual Moses trick (parting like the Red Sea) as only we know hour and an equaliser was inevitable.

Sure enough it came around the 75 minute mark and the only question then was whether Bradford would go on to claim all 3 points despite some death throe twitching for us just before the final whistle and in time added on.

Yes I know there are 14 games left and all that but last night was the proverbial six pointer and we needed to win it if we have serious aspirations of a) reaching the play offs and b) winning them.

My forecast is top 10 if we are lucky.

Why do we always make things difficult for ourselves.
    We’ve still got a couple of games in hand on Bradford.
    Let’s hope all our games remain 0-0 until the last minute when we score. We seem to play ok until we score.

Hopefully with new owners (who hopefully will improve the squad), and a new outlook, next season will be much happier, whatever league we’re in.
  • Options
    PWR.
    Going to keep it short and have had a lot of time to think over last night's performance.

First half we were superb, passing the ball very well and moving Bradford around the pitch. We got Marshall involved more and was unlucky not to open to scoring early on. He also provided the cross for Magennis' goal. As soon as we went 1-0 up however, we just seemed to stop playing.

Second half, Bradford had nothing to lose so was always going to come at us, fair enough that is to be expected. But we didn't deal with their directness and their threat. Constantly Dasilva was caught out of position in the second half as he was having to do two jobs because neither Fosu or Kaikai were prepared to track back and help as much as Marshall does with Solly. In this instance, I would've taken one of them off and swapped Marshall to the left and maybe gone more 4-3-3 with Aribo coming on.

Game management is a clear problem, that much is obvious. We don't organise well enough, we panic and can always see us conceding when we are one goal ahead.

I came away last night thinking that if we don't get 3 points on Saturday away at MK Dons, we 100% won't be going up and making play-offs this season.

When we play well and create chances, we have to take them and be at least two goals up, because otherwise we just aren't going to be picking up the results between now and the end of the season to get to where we need to be.