Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Bradford 13/2/18 post-match views

Comments

• Options
    Anyone here think that Marshall could play RB if Solly got injured?
  • Options

JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

Said it before and i'll say it again, we have a much better squad than Shrewsbury. But we have a manager who has 1 formation, no clue on how to adjust things depending on how the game is developing and who doesn't appear to know how to get the best out of his players.

If we'd swapped managers back in August then i'd bet every last penny that the Shrewsbury manager would have us higher in the table than 7th, and that Robinson would have Shrewsbury nowhere near the play offs.

Why? Where's your evidence.

I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if we have roughly similar squads. Your comments about the Shrewsbury manager are all speculation. I'm guessing you don't even know his name.

Criticise Robbo by all means, and I did in my match review, but leave Shrewsbury and their squad of legends out of it.
    He's been a success and won promotion at every club he's been at. Then took over a Shrewsbury side who were BOTTOM of league one less than 18 months ago. Kept them up, and now has them TOP of league one.

Tell me what Robinson has done. One successful season with MK Dons when he was fortunate enough to get Will Grigg and Benik Afobe in on loan and have a kid called Dele Alli come out of the youth team.

Hurst took over Shrewsbury in October 2016 and took them from bottom to 18th.
    Robinson took over in November 2016 when we were 11th and 3 points off the play offs. We finished 13th, and were 13 points off the play offs.

Hurst now has Shrewsbury top of the league.
    Robinson has us treading water and actually closer to the relegation zone (14 points) than the promotion places (15 points).

So i stand by my opinion that if we'd swapped managers we'd be doing better under Hurst and Shrewsbury would be worse off under Robinson.
    You've just looked him up lol
    You accused Chris of using results to push his anti-Robinson agenda a couple of days ago. As a manager, that’s exactly what he should be judged on. And our recent loss of points is down to Robinson.

You’ve not only been provided with opinion, but fact as welll.

It appears you’re the only person with an ‘agenda’.
    Chill. Read my match review. I'm critical of Robinson. Increasingly so. Based on what I see on the pitch though. I just don't agree that we have one of the top three squads in the league. Under Duchatelet? Are you sure about that @Chris_from_Sidcup and @ValleyGary ?!
    Absolutely no chance.

If Chris was a journalist his editor would be telling him he can't make such sweeping statements about squads without some sort of evidence. I thought initially he might have a point, but I was surprised to find when I looked up their squad that they have three players transferred from the Prem and about eight from the Champs. I'd say if anything theirs may be stronger. But you haven't convinced me that ours 'is much stronger'.

Ok @JamesSeed , I’ll have a go at this, and bare in mind I’m not a Robbo-hater.

Coming from the Premier league / higher league should not be any form of indicator, just because someone is at another club does not in any way mean they can do it for you (Doodoo, Sanogo etc)

I’m convinced if you had asked all league One managers at the start of the season to look at the squads, most would have had us top three, possibly top two.

If you go through our squad this season

Keeper – Amos is not Gordon Banks but is very secure for this level, there are few better in this league

Defence – Solly, Pearce and Bauer all have considerable higher level experience. Dasilva is the stand out left back in this division, a class above. Konsa is worth millions and attracting top level interest.

Def / Midfield – Kashi also impressed at a higher league than this. Foster-Caskey is no thrills, but not a clear weak link, Aribo impresses when he plays, Jackson is a more than efficient 4th choice to have in your locker.

Mid / Attack – Holmes was wanted by the league above, Magennis has international pedigree and is wanted in the league above. Fosu could arguably make the league team of the season. Marshall is solid and provides a team role. Pretty sure most teams in this league would have taken Billy Clarke this summer. Kaikai and Malvididi (certainly the latter) look more than enough at this level.

Only mitigating argument imo is we don't have a real goal scorer in our team, but with the Magennis up top on his own approach, we don't play a style of play that would be a fit for a natural goal scorer anyway.

No need to go into the merits of each player. The only point I was making is that our squad isn’t necessarily ‘much better than Shrewsbury’s’.

We have quite a decent squad, but on paper so have Shrewsbury. Three from the Premier league, about eight from the Championship. We’ve got a few players from League One, not just higher league players. I expect a Shrewsbury fan might be able to state a case for the players in their squad.

And that’s it really.
    Hold up @JamesSeed you can't have it both ways squire. You can't on one hand accuse people of making 'sweeping statements about squads without some sort of evidence' and then on the other hand dismiss a breakdown of the key components of the squad as not needed. Squads are made up of individuals, its the first place you look for evidence' !!

You want to defend this point about your retrospective study of the Shrewsbury squad, fair enough. My point is I don't think any people who work in the game and know it a hell of a lot better than me and you would have looked at our respective squads at the start of the season and backed Shrewsbury to finish above us. And I am 100% convinced that not one person would have seen them finishing 25 points ahead of us (as it currently looks like they will).

Do you, even with your retrospective look, genuinely believe Shrewsbury's squad (particularly based on their resources) should be 25 points ahead of ours?

Along with their outperformance there is undoubtedly a degree of underperformance on our part. No one would convince me otherwise of that.

I know about our squad. It’s theirs we don’t really know that much about.

I agree we are underperforming. I think I agree they shouldn’t be so far ahead of us. But I haven’t seen them play yet.

There’s an element of Leicester about what they’re doing. Leicester had some good players, and they make the best of them.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

No
  • Options
    Also, that Ajose challenge was a joke. The defender knew exactly what he was doing and stopped Ajose progressing into the box.
  • Options
    When is Robinson going to learn that it's not possession that wins matches, it's goals and not conceding any will always get at least a point.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Yes, if you want to weaken the defence further! If you are going for out and out attack at home it is an option. But we never do that.
  • Options

When is Robinson going to learn that it's not possession that wins matches, it's goals and not conceding any will always get at least a point.

Yet we also need to concentrate on playing our own style of Football.

Yesterday we were all over Bradford (they only had Wyke in our half for most of the first 45mins) because we were passing it around them, then towards the end and then the majority of the second half we resorted to long ball and copying the Bradford tactics!!
  • Options
    Marshall seems to be in the 'legs gone' phase of his career - I'd say that if he wants to extend it much he'll need to convert into a FB
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Marshall seems to be in the 'legs gone' phase of his career - I'd say that if he wants to extend it much he'll need to convert into a FB

He's got the legs but he's to much of a sprinter

i.e. He'll go at top speed for a minute or two yet then need longer to recover

What Marshall needs to sort out is putting in a decent cross and when to do it rather than standing by the line having a contest with the defender to see who can stare at the ball for longer than the other
  • Options
    Not getting excited about making the Play Offs. Even if we made them we would not win them and get promotion under this game management.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:

Easy to forget that Marshall has recovered from a very serious injury since he joined us.

His pace was his defining attribute and a combination of serious injury and an age of 30 plus may have taken its toll.

He always looked good playing against us (not difficult I accept) so perhaps we have been unlucky rather than incompetent with this signing.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

That's a possibility if we play 3 at the back. JDS may be better suited to that system also
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

LenGlover said:

Leuth said:

Easy to forget that Marshall has recovered from a very serious injury since he joined us.

His pace was his defining attribute and a combination of serious injury and an age of 30 plus may have taken its toll.

He always looked good playing against us (not difficult I accept) so perhaps we have been unlucky rather than incompetent with this signing.
    I'm always impressed with Marshall's workrate and tracking back.
    In my mind, he's played specifically on the right to help protect Solly, who's looking increasingly vulnerable.

It's bound to reflect on some of Marshall's forward play.
    But he's every inch a team player.

He might not have the flair of Fosu, but he is direct - and can be very effective if brought into the game.

In any case, despite our lack of clear cut chances created, it was Marshall that was unlucky not to score with a very decent shot against the post.
    And it was Marshall's very deliberate cross that picked out Magennis for our goal.

Very much agree with the last three posts.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Leuth said:

Didn’t he chip in with another assist last night? And was a whisker from scoring himself?

What exactly were people’s expectations of Marshall? I think he has underperformed a bit, which is fair enough given his injury, but I also think he has done pretty well so far and is the best crosser of a ball on our books imho. Also his defensive work shouldn’t be overlooked particularly when other attacking players such as Fosu and Mavididi aren’t doing the same....
  • Options
    HandG said:

LenGlover said:

Leuth said:

Didn’t he chip in with another assist last night? And was a whisker from scoring himself?

What exactly were people’s expectations of Marshall? I think he has underperformed a bit, which is fair enough given his injury, but I also think he has done pretty well so far and is the best crosser of a ball on our books imho. Also his defensive work shouldn’t be overlooked particularly when other attacking players such as Fosu and Mavididi aren’t doing the same....
    Yes and yes technically.

However the goal was all about Fosu's run of virtually the length of the pitch before picking out Marshall. The assist concept falls down in instances like Magennis' goal last night as Fosu gets no credit for his considerable part in it.

That said Marshall deserves credit for being in position to receive the pass from Fosu and make the cross.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

Said it before and i'll say it again, we have a much better squad than Shrewsbury. But we have a manager who has 1 formation, no clue on how to adjust things depending on how the game is developing and who doesn't appear to know how to get the best out of his players.

If we'd swapped managers back in August then i'd bet every last penny that the Shrewsbury manager would have us higher in the table than 7th, and that Robinson would have Shrewsbury nowhere near the play offs.

I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if we have roughly similar squads. Your comments about the Shrewsbury manager are all speculation. I'm guessing you don't even know his name.

Criticise Robbo by all means, and I did in my match review, but leave Shrewsbury and their squad of legends out of it.
    He's been a success and won promotion at every club he's been at. Then took over a Shrewsbury side who were BOTTOM of league one less than 18 months ago. Kept them up, and now has them TOP of league one.

Tell me what Robinson has done. One successful season with MK Dons when he was fortunate enough to get Will Grigg and Benik Afobe in on loan and have a kid called Dele Alli come out of the youth team.

Hurst took over Shrewsbury in October 2016 and took them from bottom to 18th.
    Robinson took over in November 2016 when we were 11th and 3 points off the play offs. We finished 13th, and were 13 points off the play offs.

Robinson has us treading water and actually closer to the relegation zone (14 points) than the promotion places (15 points).

So i stand by my opinion that if we'd swapped managers we'd be doing better under Hurst and Shrewsbury would be worse off under Robinson.
    You accused Chris of using results to push his anti-Robinson agenda a couple of days ago. As a manager, that’s exactly what he should be judged on. And our recent loss of points is down to Robinson.

Chill. Read my match review. I'm critical of Robinson. Increasingly so. Based on what I see on the pitch though. I just don't agree that we have one of the top three squads in the league. Under Duchatelet? Are you sure about that @Chris_from_Sidcup and @ValleyGary ?!
    Absolutely no chance.

If Chris was a journalist his editor would be telling him he can't make such sweeping statements about squads without some sort of evidence. I thought initially he might have a point, but I was surprised to find when I looked up their squad that they have three players transferred from the Prem and about eight from the Champs. I'd say if anything theirs may be stronger. But you haven't convinced me that ours 'is much stronger'.

Coming from the Premier league / higher league should not be any form of indicator, just because someone is at another club does not in any way mean they can do it for you (Doodoo, Sanogo etc)

I’m convinced if you had asked all league One managers at the start of the season to look at the squads, most would have had us top three, possibly top two.

Keeper – Amos is not Gordon Banks but is very secure for this level, there are few better in this league

Defence – Solly, Pearce and Bauer all have considerable higher level experience. Dasilva is the stand out left back in this division, a class above. Konsa is worth millions and attracting top level interest.

Def / Midfield – Kashi also impressed at a higher league than this. Foster-Caskey is no thrills, but not a clear weak link, Aribo impresses when he plays, Jackson is a more than efficient 4th choice to have in your locker.

Mid / Attack – Holmes was wanted by the league above, Magennis has international pedigree and is wanted in the league above. Fosu could arguably make the league team of the season. Marshall is solid and provides a team role. Pretty sure most teams in this league would have taken Billy Clarke this summer. Kaikai and Malvididi (certainly the latter) look more than enough at this level.

Only mitigating argument imo is we don't have a real goal scorer in our team, but with the Magennis up top on his own approach, we don't play a style of play that would be a fit for a natural goal scorer anyway.

No need to go into the merits of each player. The only point I was making is that our squad isn’t necessarily ‘much better than Shrewsbury’s’.

We have quite a decent squad, but on paper so have Shrewsbury. Three from the Premier league, about eight from the Championship. We’ve got a few players from League One, not just higher league players. I expect a Shrewsbury fan might be able to state a case for the players in their squad.

And that’s it really.
    Hold up @JamesSeed you can't have it both ways squire. You can't on one hand accuse people of making 'sweeping statements about squads without some sort of evidence' and then on the other hand dismiss a breakdown of the key components of the squad as not needed. Squads are made up of individuals, its the first place you look for evidence' !!

You want to defend this point about your retrospective study of the Shrewsbury squad, fair enough. My point is I don't think any people who work in the game and know it a hell of a lot better than me and you would have looked at our respective squads at the start of the season and backed Shrewsbury to finish above us. And I am 100% convinced that not one person would have seen them finishing 25 points ahead of us (as it currently looks like they will).

Do you, even with your retrospective look, genuinely believe Shrewsbury's squad (particularly based on their resources) should be 25 points ahead of ours?

Along with their outperformance there is undoubtedly a degree of underperformance on our part. No one would convince me otherwise of that.

I agree we are underperforming. I think I agree they shouldn’t be so far ahead of us. But I haven’t seen them play yet.

There’s an element of Leicester about what they’re doing. Leicester had some good players, and they make the best of them.
    isn't that the point though. Some people don't think Robinson is making the best of the players he has or has had.

He insisted on playing 4231 last season when he didn't have the players to do it and we dropped down the table and flirted with relegation. Remember he was brought in to "give us the best chance of gaining promotion".

This season he's had two windows to get the squad he wanted, a squad he has lavished praise on and loudly thanked Meire and Duchatelet, until very recently for providing for him.

Yet we are still inconsistent, inflexible and possibly unfit.

Getting the most out of the players is the manager's job at the 98% of clubs who don't have money to burn.

So far he hasn't and people's patience is wearing thin.

I'll repea
  • Options
    edited February 2018
  • Options

Leuth said:

He's got the legs but he's to much of a sprinter

i.e. He'll go at top speed for a minute or two yet then need longer to recover

What Marshall needs to sort out is putting in a decent cross and when to do it rather than standing by the line having a contest with the defender to see who can stare at the ball for longer than the other
    He put two great crosses in yesterday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2018

JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if and their squad of legends out of it.

Absolutely no chance.

And that’s it really.

isn't that the point though. Some people don't think Robinson is making the best of the players he has or has had.

He insisted on playing 4231 last season when he didn't have the players to do it and we dropped down the table and flirted with relegation. Remember he was brought in to "give us the best chance of gaining promotion".

This season he's had two windows to get the squad he wanted, a squad he has lavished praise on and loudly thanked Meire and Duchatelet, until very recently for providing for him.

Yet we are still inconsistent, inflexible and possibly unfit.

Getting the most out of the players is the manager's job at the 98% of clubs who don't have money to burn.

So far he hasn't and people's patience is wearing thin.

a
    I’m beginning to agree as it happens.
    I still think his recruitment hasn’t been too bad given the circumstances and lack of cash.

It’s the tactics that annoy me. Slowing the game down when we’re one up is dumb. Assuming it’s his idea of course.

I know I’m being targeted as a big fan of Karl’s, but when we won those three games in a row recently I was, I think, one of the few posting that we won despite not playing very well. We haven’t played well for a whole match for ages.
    ‘Just win matches’ is a reasonable mantra, but even winning matches can mask deeper problems.

I have had doubts for some time, but some of the vitriol on here is unwarranted and over the top.

If we get into the playoffs and acquit ourselves well I’ll be happy for him to stay, possibly.
    Failure to reach the playoff and it’s probably ‘off with his head’ from me.
  • Options
    Don't forget, according to our manager, Shrewsbury are not going to last the pace.
  • Options

Don't forget, according to our manager, Shrewsbury are not going to last the pace.

Tbf I think most people thought that.
  • Options

We can't cope with 90 minutes + stoppage time - we drop our bundle after 80 minutes whereas Shrewsbury have scored late goals to gain points time and time again.

What chance have we got lasting the entire season Robbo?
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    People say KRs hands have tied striker-wise but he let Ajose (and Hanlan and Umerah) and played KAG on the wing.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Maybe, but the manager is supposed to know better than us mere mortal fans.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Yes, this is the time of year (crap winter weather, heavy pitches etc) when you expect the smaller side to start struggling

Instead it's Wigan who are having a mini blip
  • Options

They are the Leicester city of league one.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Rob7Lee said:

My conclusion, we have some good players on the 'skill' front. Fosu, JFK and others. What all of them pretty much lack (and i'm including Robinson in that) is a footballing brain.

When there is the choice of a pass or a shot we choose the wrong one, when there's two passes on we chose the wrong one. The only one who doesn't with any regularity is Da Silva.

Thats whats costing us and stopping us from being higher, and something we can't really change.

Add to that, Robinsons subs and their timing in particular were awful again, can anyone tell me what was our shape for the last 10 minutes?

It's harder to make the right decisions when you're playing in front of a team sitting back. Our patient passing style gives teams time to get back and get themselves organised.

How often do we get in behind teams?
    How many properly clear cut chances do we create?
    How many penalties do we win?
    How often do we score from set pieces?

Maybe KR needs to sacrifice his ideal style and try something else. It would be less predictable and having the option of going more direct can create different types of chances.

So often we're asking one of our flair players to beat 2/3 players and whip a perfect cross against out outnumbered attack, or score a wonder goal.
    I should imagine even KR can see his system isn't working. Presumably he's too stubborn or stupid to change it and probably both, bearing in mind MKD fans warned us this would happen.