Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket Tour of New Zealand, 2017/18 (with no cricket in 2017)

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2018
    Just trying to work out what we expect the test side to be when the two match series gets started in just under three weeks... I think I'd start the first set with the following:

Cook, Stoneman, Root, Malan, Livingstone, Bairstow, Stokes, Ali, Woakes, Broad, Anderson

If Root would still rather bat at four then perhaps play Bairstow at three (maybe? could Malan do that job?) then pick Foakes in place of Livingstone and pass over the gloves...

Decisions, decisions... either way I'm expecting Livingstone or Foakes to make their Test debut.

The only players who definitely aren't in my team are Vince and Crane (not good enough currently) as well as Overton and Wood who are decent back up bowling options but not consistent at the top level (in Wood's case due to injury troubles).
  • Options
    I would replace Livngstone with Vince.
  • Options
    Livingstone not done much on Lions Tour to Windies. And come home early with ankle injury.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

I would replace Livngstone with Vince.

Agree. If you are gonna put Vince in the Ashes firing line he deserves a chance against a less potent attack too.

Not that I would have taken him to Oz in first place.
  • Options

Willliamson scored a great ton and is a class player - however Ali turned the game with his bowling and won it for England with that three-wicket burst so the MOM is fair enough.

If Williamson had scored those winning runs off the last ball should Ali still have got MOM because I am 100% sure Ali would not have been awarded it.

Ali's haul of 3-36 was nowhere near, in the context of the game, as big a contribution of 112 not out ( exactly 25% of the total runs scored in the match off the bat). In fact, I would go on to argue that, despite Ali's bowling figures and 19 runs, Woakes' dismissal of Guptill early on and his final 3 overs of death bowling when he contributed to two dismissals and only went for only 16 runs (plus 15 runs with the bat) actually won it for us.

So I still think Williamson deserved it even though he was on the losing side.

• Options
    South Africa 40-3 and ABV has just been run out!
  • Options

Anyone know when the dates for the Sri Lanka tour will be released? Really fancy popping over for some of that.

Yes, me too, though I might have to do the ODIs in Kandy due to a business event in November that I ought to attend. This is what I received from Red Dot Tours who organised tickets for me last time I saw England in Sri Lanka.

Test Matches

Galle (6th to 10th November 2018), Kandy (14th to 18th November 2018) and Colombo (23rd to 27th November 2018).

ODIs

Dambulla (10th October 2018), Dambulla (14th October 2018), Kandy (17th October 2018), Kandy (20th October 2018) and Colombo (24th October 2018).

T20

Colombo (27th October 2018).

Are these dates definite? There is nothing confirmed on ECB site or any of the UK tour company sites?

Has been suggested to me that Galle is a nice area and a friend I know has access to a house nearby. Anybody any experience of the area or ground?
  • Options
    Good fight from SA, especially Markram who's worked so hard for that century. Just feel they're probably 100runs too many to get.
  • Options

Just trying to work out what we expect the test side to be when the two match series gets started in just under three weeks... I think I'd start the first set with the following:

Cook, Stoneman, Root, Malan, Livingstone, Bairstow, Stokes, Ali, Woakes, Broad, Anderson

If Root would still rather bat at four then perhaps play Bairstow at three (maybe? could Malan do that job?) then pick Foakes in place of Livingstone and pass over the gloves...

Decisions, decisions... either way I'm expecting Livingstone or Foakes to make their Test debut.

The only players who definitely aren't in my team are Vince and Crane (not good enough currently) as well as Overton and Wood who are decent back up bowling options but not consistent at the top level (in Wood's case due to injury troubles).

Unless Anderson and Broad fire, I think we will lose
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Willliamson scored a great ton and is a class player - however Ali turned the game with his bowling and won it for England with that three-wicket burst so the MOM is fair enough.

If Williamson had scored those winning runs off the last ball should Ali still have got MOM because I am 100% sure Ali would not have been awarded it.

Ali's haul of 3-36 was nowhere near, in the context of the game, as big a contribution of 112 not out ( exactly 25% of the total runs scored in the match off the bat). In fact, I would go on to argue that, despite Ali's bowling figures and 19 runs, Woakes' dismissal of Guptill early on and his final 3 overs of death bowling when he contributed to two dismissals and only went for only 16 runs (plus 15 runs with the bat) actually won it for us.

So I still think Williamson deserved it even though he was on the losing side.

Yeah - but he didn't, did he?

When Ali took those wickets the Kiwis were in control and cruising with wickets in hand.

Suddenly they went from three down to six down at a crucial stage - thanks to Ali.

Getting wickets in those middle overs is very tough - batsmen normally just nurdle the ball about, so Ali broke the game open for England.

Not just wickets either - his 3.6 economy rate put the Kiwis under huge pressure towards the end.
  • Options
    Seemingly it all kicked off in the SA v Aus Test. Lyons has been charged with a Level 1 offence for dropping the ball on ABV while he was still on the ground following his run out and Warner and De Koch had to be held back from smacking each other in the interval.
  • Options
    i dont think behaviour will get any better until something drastic happens ..

Aussies are by far the worst
  • Options

Seemingly it all kicked off in the SA v Aus Test. Lyons has been charged with a Level 1 offence for dropping the ball on ABV while he was still on the ground following his run out and Warner and De Koch had to be held back from smacking each other in the interval.

"Long ban Gary"
  • Options
    Favourite chant of the barmy out there for Warner “Sonny Bill Williams , Sonny Bill Williams ...”
  • Options
    Quentin v De Kock it seems.
  • Options
    redman said:

Anyone know when the dates for the Sri Lanka tour will be released? Really fancy popping over for some of that.

Yes, me too, though I might have to do the ODIs in Kandy due to a business event in November that I ought to attend. This is what I received from Red Dot Tours who organised tickets for me last time I saw England in Sri Lanka.

Test Matches

Galle (6th to 10th November 2018), Kandy (14th to 18th November 2018) and Colombo (23rd to 27th November 2018).

ODIs

Dambulla (10th October 2018), Dambulla (14th October 2018), Kandy (17th October 2018), Kandy (20th October 2018) and Colombo (24th October 2018).

T20

Colombo (27th October 2018).

Are these dates definite? There is nothing confirmed on ECB site or any of the UK tour company sites?

Has been suggested to me that Galle is a nice area and a friend I know has access to a house nearby. Anybody any experience of the area or ground?
    The Galle area is lovely. From Hikkaduwa (about ten miles north) to Koggala (about ten miles south) is a lovely stretch of coast. Unatwatuna has a bit of a back-packer feel if that's your thing. Buses are really cheap to use, and run consistently, and beep-beep tuk-tuk taxis are plentiful (but you have to negotiate the fee in advance). There is a new train service too, built after the tsunami, that runs along the coast but I don't have any detail about it nor have I used it. Plenty of restaurants to choose from these days, some in hotels, and some out. Galle Fort is really nice (and has some great hotel restaurants), and you can watch the cricket in the ground from up there, but it's a good distance to see exactly what is happening. From memory, there are usually plenty of tickets available for the test matches (most locals prefer the one day stuff). On a good day, it takes about 2 - 2.5 hours to get to Galle from the airport - it used to be a lot longer, but the road has improved in the last ten years.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

That Warner is one really obnoxious piece of shit.

He is the definition of a cnut
  • Options
    Dave Warner is an absolute knob-jockey of the highest order, loves giving it out to people yet cries like a baby when he gets a taste of his own medicine.

Also noticeable how he picks on a relative newcomer in DeKock, and doesn't have a go at the likes of DuPlessis, DeVilliers or Morkel - probably as he knows that they would wrap a bat around his head double lively.

Final point is that if he was really inclined to give DeKock a right hander, then he could have done, but he was quite happy being 'held back' by his teammates!
  • Options
    Next ODI v NZ starts tonight at 10.00pm.
  • Options

Dave Warner is an absolute knob-jockey of the highest order, loves giving it out to people yet cries like a baby when he gets a taste of his own medicine.

Also noticeable how he picks on a relative newcomer in DeKock, and doesn't have a go at the likes of DuPlessis, DeVilliers or Morkel - probably as he knows that they would wrap a bat around his head double lively.

Final point is that if he was really inclined to give DeKock a right hander, then he could have done, but he was quite happy being 'held back' by his teammates!

Just don't get the hate for Warner. I'd have him and his attitude in our team any time. Our only lairy player leaves it to drunken episodes in nightclubs.
  • Options
    yeah, Warner would never hit anyone in a bar/club.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

No he would (no whoosh required). He'd hit a smarmy, cocky little northern git acting racist.
  • Options

Next ODI v NZ starts tonight at 10.00pm.

Weather in Dunedin today is fine. NZ back to full strength with Ross Taylor playing. Ball by ball can be followed on www.stuff.co.nz

By the way, nothing to do with anything really, but does anyone know why it's England and not MCC for the tour of Oz and NZ this year?
  • Options
    Riviera said:

MrOneLung said:

No he would (no whoosh required). He'd hit a smarmy, cocky little northern git acting racist.
    Joe root?
  • Options
    Batting, having been put in.