Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket Tour of New Zealand, 2017/18 (with no cricket in 2017)

Comments

• Options
    wmcf123 said:

I think Bairstow should almost certainly be given a go at the top of the order. He's a cracking batsman and a fine outfielder. Yes he's also great behind the stumps but Foakes and even Buttler are more than capable there.

We've been scratching around for a decent opener and number three for years since Strauss and Trott left the team. Bairstow playing in the top three naturally opens the spot for Stokes at six while Ali and the keeper, whoever it may be, can bat at seven and eight.

I'd personally be very happy with a team of Cook, Stoneman, Bairstow, Root, Malan, Stokes, Foakes, Ali, Woakes, Broad, Anderson going into the New Zealand series. Or Cook, Bairstow, Vince if that's your preference. I just don't like Vince at all. :-)

Bowling attack looks ordinary . NZ start as favourites, for me
    I really like Anderson, Broad, Woakes and Stokes in the conditions. If Ali can find his summer form as well he should be capable of taking a few wickets as well.

The Ashes were depressing but we'll see. I'm expecting a 1-0 win or 1-1 drawn series.
  • Options
    Incredible game in the PSL coming to a conclusion btw
  • Options
    SA beat Aus by 6 wickets to level the series
  • Options

wmcf123 said:

I think Bairstow should almost certainly be given a go at the top of the order. He's a cracking batsman and a fine outfielder. Yes he's also great behind the stumps but Foakes and even Buttler are more than capable there.

We've been scratching around for a decent opener and number three for years since Strauss and Trott left the team. Bairstow playing in the top three naturally opens the spot for Stokes at six while Ali and the keeper, whoever it may be, can bat at seven and eight.

I'd personally be very happy with a team of Cook, Stoneman, Bairstow, Root, Malan, Stokes, Foakes, Ali, Woakes, Broad, Anderson going into the New Zealand series. Or Cook, Bairstow, Vince if that's your preference. I just don't like Vince at all. :-)

I really like Anderson, Broad, Woakes and Stokes in the conditions. If Ali can find his summer form as well he should be capable of taking a few wickets as well.

The Ashes were depressing but we'll see. I'm expecting a 1-0 win or 1-1 drawn series.
    We are still lacking a genuinely quality pace bowler. Anderson is decent but only top class when it swings. Broad seems a shadow of his former self and only seems to bowl the odd quality spell. Stokes is a 4th choice bowler. Woakes can make it a decent foursome if he brings one day form to the test side.

Ali's not a test match spinner and never will be. With Woakes' batting ability meaning he can bat at 8, I really hope we can replace Ali and Broad over the next year but no real idea who they could be.
  • Options

wmcf123 said:

We are still lacking a genuinely quality pace bowler. Anderson is decent but only top class when it swings. Broad seems a shadow of his former self and only seems to bowl the odd quality spell. Stokes is a 4th choice bowler. Woakes can make it a decent foursome if he brings one day form to the test side.

Ali's not a test match spinner and never will be. With Woakes' batting ability meaning he can bat at 8, I really hope we can replace Ali and Broad over the next year but no real idea who they could be.
    Fair assessment and I pretty much agree.

Slightly unrelated but I'm sure it won't be long until Cook retires. That's part of the appeal of moving Bairstow into the top three for me (Root seems allergic to the idea).

If Cook retires and both Stoneman and Vince plus whoever else we try there over the next two years can't find any form, we could have a revolving door of openers on our hands.

Having Bairstow up there would add some experience and stability that we would lose by dealing with a Cook retirement.

I also think Bairstow has the best temperament of anyone in the current team to deal with batting in the top three.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Incredible game in the PSL coming to a conclusion btw

which one and why ?
  • Options
    Lahore winning in the Super Over. It featured...a lot of things.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Lahore winning in the Super Over. It featured...a lot of things.

Any streakers?
  • Options
    Super over.

See Denly only got 3 in main innings.
  • Options
    I really wonder what the penalty for streaking is in Dubai. Probably involves being thrown off a cliff
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

wmcf123 said:

Fair assessment and I pretty much agree.

Slightly unrelated but I'm sure it won't be long until Cook retires. That's part of the appeal of moving Bairstow into the top three for me (Root seems allergic to the idea).

If Cook retires and both Stoneman and Vince plus whoever else we try there over the next two years can't find any form, we could have a revolving door of openers on our hands.

Having Bairstow up there would add some experience and stability that we would lose by dealing with a Cook retirement.

I also think Bairstow has the best temperament of anyone in the current team to deal with batting in the top three.
    yeah I would have Root at 3 and Bairstow at 4, although agree we can have it the other way seeing as I cannot see Root doing it.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

I really wonder what the penalty for streaking is in Dubai. Probably involves being thrown off a cliff

Perhaps you should try it Leuth and see!
  • Options
    James Whitaker leaving as selector.
  • Options

Leuth said:

You really want to see Leuth's willy don't you :-)
  • Options

Leuth said:

You really want to see Leuth's willy don't you :-)
    He won't be seeing it for very much longer if he does decide to streak in Dubai!
  • Options

James Whitaker leaving as selector.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/43373702
  • Options
    Stokes misses the Ashes Tests. Now he will miss the Lord's Test against India

As if Test match cricket didn't have enough challenges, it also feel like the legal process is also working against it
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Fourth 10 wicket haul for Rabada after only 28 tests. Steyn holds the national record with five in 86 tests...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It will be very exciting for Test cricket to see Rabada take on Australia in the last two Tests....oh wait
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    http://www.nzc.nz/live-streaming

NZ XI 14-3 from 10 overs

Anderson with two wickets (Latham & Guptill), Broad with one (Raval).

Nicholls and de Grandhomme at the crease.
  • Options
    15-4, de Grandhomme gone to Mark Wood.
  • Options
    30-5 and a wicket maiden for Moeen Ali.

Now James Vince is bowling... talk about insulting.
  • Options
    376 all out

Centuries for their numbers 6 and 8 who both retire out! Worrying lack of penetration with the soft pink ball
  • Options

376 all out

Centuries for their numbers 6 and 8 who both retire out! Worrying lack of penetration with the soft pink ball

• Options
    These warm up games are a joke. We are 266-9. But how can this be so with Vince (batting at 3 and 35 not out) and Root (batting at 4 and 15 not out)?

The clue is in the info from Cricinfo (which clearly hasn't been updated to account for all the innings):

Day 2:
    England 1st innings:
    Drinks: England - 41/3 in 14.0 overs (AN Cook 20, DJ Malan 4)
    England: 50 runs in 15.4 overs (95 balls), Extras 1
    England: 100 runs in 23.6 overs (145 balls), Extras 6
    Tea: England - 114/6 in 27.0 overs (L Livingstone 30, MM Ali 4)
    L Livingstone: 50 off 55 balls (9 x 4, 1 x 6)
    England: 150 runs in 36.4 overs (221 balls), Extras 6
    1x7 ball over (44th over, bowled by AY Patel)
    Drinks: England - 187/9 in 44.0 overs (L Livingstone 66, JM Anderson 5)
    England 1st innings: MD Stoneman allowed to bat twice to make up the numbers
    England: 200 runs in 47.2 overs (286 balls), Extras 11
    England 1st innings: AN Cook allowed to bat twice to make up the numbers

So, in reality, we are probably 266-12 and should have been 171 all out!

The one positive is that Livingstone scored 88. And I think that was from just one innings. I think.
  • Options
    think it was agreed the day 1 we would bowl all day not matter how many wickets taken and the reverse on day 2.
  • Options
    A pretty poor show when 2 Kiwis retired out, whereas none of our players made 3 figures
  • Options

A pretty poor show when 2 Kiwis retired out, whereas none of our players made 3 figures

Perhaps they might though had they been allowed to bat five times instead of being restricted to two innings!