Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Old Charlton related photos

Comments

• Not old photos but photos of old subjects.

This was the notorious Burnley match. 
  • This has been shared with the museum. 
  • Not old photos but photos of old subjects.

What was notorious about the game against Burnley? I just remember a routine 4-1 win.

The second leg was only memorable for there being 64 of us up there . Most got in on players complimentaries, me and my 2 mates paid!
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    Not old photos but photos of old subjects.

What was notorious about the game against Burnley? I just remember a routine 4-1 win.

The second leg was only memorable for there being 64 of us up there . Most got in on players complimentaries, me and my 2 mates paid!
    Ah you weren't in the Horse & Groom or in uniform that match. The Police grossly underestimated the potential for problems. 
  • JohnnyH2 said:

Ah you weren't in the Horse & Groom or in uniform that match. The Police grossly underestimated the potential for problems. 
    That was the FA cup tie in 1994 I thought. Did they smash up the Horse &Groom twice?
  • JohnnyH2 said:

That was the FA cup game, was like the wild west in there!!
  • Sorry, I got confused as the Swindon ticket is for the FA Cup. It was indeed the FA Cup, not the league Cup.
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:

That was the FA cup tie in 1994 I thought. Did they smash up the Horse &Groom twice?
    It was a near riot in the H&G that day, not twice, but the following season let’s just say revenge was sought and served 
  • Sponsored links:

• Simonsen said:
    Simonsen said:
    kentred2 said:
    Charlton at Millwall. 2.1.89. 
    Rare Millwall victory. One nil in the 87th minute. 
    I was there that day, stood in the terrace along the side. Think it was Scott Minto's debut (in midfield) 
    Best place to go at their place, as long as you did not get sussed!
    Agreed. I normally went in the corner for Charlton games (made an exception that day) but if I watched Millwall v Whoever, I always stood down the side. Good view. 
    As a kid, I sat on the concrete base of the floodlight at the corner diagonally opposite the away corner.  That was a very good view, too.

I didn't feel anything like the antipathy toward the scum I do now.  Quite often my brother and I would to The Den one Saturday and The Valley the next and I believe that wasn't that uncommon a practice.
  • The dark days, but boy was the blood flowing. See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil. Genk, July 2015. The Parkes,Thomas Driesen, Katrien Meire, the parents and Roland. Dark days indeed.

Rare photo of Sue Parkes without a vol-au-vent.
  • SE7toSG3 said:
    DA9 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:

It was a near riot in the H&G that day, not twice, but the following season let’s just say revenge was sought and served 
    My Red Fiesta XR2 got bumped by a transit load of fleeing Burnley fans in Rathmore Road, every window had been broken, the occupants looked petrified, they were followed by a large group of builders dressed as Charlton supporters who had emptied a nearby skip into the van, mistakingly I guess, my memory is vague as it was so long ago but I do remember the damage to my car! 

The Burnley fans didn't stop to exchange details and I and my fellow supporter in the car were 'off duty' at the time and powerless to take action. 
    It was a yellow transit van if my memory serves me correctly? I was walking up the lower road and a poster on here passed me, said hello and gave me a knowing smile. Wasn't sure what it was for then I saw the van a bit further up, stuck across the road. Have a vague memory of a traffic cone sticking out of one of the windows.
  • SE7toSG3 said:
    DA9 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:

My Red Fiesta XR2 got bumped by a transit load of fleeing Burnley fans in Rathmore Road, every window had been broken, the occupants looked petrified, they were followed by a large group of builders dressed as Charlton supporters who had emptied a nearby skip into the van, mistakingly I guess, my memory is vague as it was so long ago but I do remember the damage to my car! 

The Burnley fans didn't stop to exchange details and I and my fellow supporter in the car were 'off duty' at the time and powerless to take action. 
    It was a yellow transit van if my memory serves me correctly? I was walking up the lower road and a poster on here passed me, said hello and gave me a knowing smile. Wasn't sure what it was for then I saw the van a bit further up, stuck across the road. Have a vague memory of a traffic cone sticking out of one of the windows.
    All very interesting but where're the photos?
  • SE7toSG3 said:
    DA9 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:

Ah, the good old days.

Now when I were a lad. 
  • I’m told this is Charlton v Bradford, 1930s. Is it?

• Possibly.

Shirts and terrace seem right but what's going on with the away kits 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2021
    A job for the X-Files? 

The away player looking back towards the goal has kit which is spot on for Bradford City 1932 or thereabouts but as the Great Cardiganed One has pointed out - what is happening with the shirts of the other opposition players?

Is it simply that the further one goes from the camera lens then the clarity lessens and the stripes have lost definition?  I vaguely recall something about foreshortening in photography where distances can appear distorted so the players with the seemingly white shirts could be much further away than it looks on the photo but, like the puzzled Dougal in the FatherTed explains perspective sketch, I'm not convinced ...............
    but then, barring the paranormal, I going to go for this as the answer.
  • Newcastle August 91. First home game at Upton Park 
    Wasn't  that the first game that keepers were not allowed to handle the ball from a pass back?
    No that was the following season, first game was against Grimsby at Upton Park 92/93
  • I’m told this is Charlton v Bradford, 1930s. Is it?

I don't think it is. The Covered end was roof was put on in 1934 so timing could be right, but that isn't the Covered End, which reached to the front of the terracing and the end of the terracing - the roof in this picture does neither. 
  • Yes, looks like Chelsea, the keeper is lying on the beach.
    Good spot. He's even put his towel down to lie on.