Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Old Charlton related photos

Comments

• Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Wasn't it some point in the early eighties a fence was put on the East Terrace towards the Jimmy Seed Stand that away fans could stand in. Kicked off against Pompey in 84 across the fence
    And Huddersfield.

• Options
    Cracking pair of shorts on Steve A there - haha
    Haven't seen Steve for years, last time was at a remote Northern away game (think he'd moved to Lancashire).

His sister was in my class at primary school.
    used to do plenty of away's with him back in the day, haven't seen him since before the first lockdown, but used to catch up at least once a year at a reunion vets game.

He moved up north some years ago now
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Wasn't it some point in the early eighties a fence was put on the East Terrace towards the Jimmy Seed Stand that away fans could stand in. Kicked off against Pompey in 84 across the fence
    And Huddersfield.

Great angle - any idea what fencing was for? Don't recall ever seeing that..
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    And Huddersfield.

Wasn't that when the Jimmy Seed cover was being built, so it was for the away fans? 
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    And Huddersfield.

The whole ground was fenced off at one time…. As was pretty much every other ground in the. Football League. The fences that killed 97 at Hillsborough.
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    And Huddersfield.

The whole ground was fenced off at one time…. As was pretty much every other ground in the. Football League. The fences that killed 97 at Hillsborough.
    referring to the wooden picket fencing dividing the terrace rather than the fencing at the front...
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    And Huddersfield.

referring to the wooden picket fencing dividing the terrace rather than the fencing at the front...
    Was definitely used for away fans.
  • Options
    Definitely the Valley but I cannot work out what the structure is at the south end nor do I have any memory of anything resembling this. Can anyone enlighten me?
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Definitely the Valley but I cannot work out what the structure is at the south end nor do I have any memory of anything resembling this. Can anyone enlighten me?
    The main stand (now west) is on the left and the JS stand is on the right. However the roof line does look odd.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The main stand (now west) is on the left and the JS stand is on the right. However the roof line does look odd.
    It's the JS but the roofline looking odd is a bit of an optical illusion. The corner where the left hand side meets the front is just to the left of the floodlight in the foreground.
    took me a few views to see that - did look odd until you pointed it out!
  • Options
    It's the JS but the roofline looking odd is a bit of an optical illusion. The corner where the left hand side meets the front is just to the left of the floodlight in the foreground.
    FFS, got it now cheers @DaveMehmet, it still took me ages to twig! 
  • Options

There used to be a big mound here and goal posts where some training took place. It dips down sharply to the end of the West Stand.  The guy in the middle isn't taller than the East Terrace.

• Options

There used to be a big mound here and goal posts where some training took place. It dips down sharply to the end of the West Stand.  The guy in the middle isn't taller than the East Terrace.

He might be @1905
  • Options

Got thrown in that wooden hut a couple of times.....on one occasion a burly copper took great delight in throwing a medicine ball at those in attendance
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well I was expecting an envelope full of cash NOT to put up anymore pictures of the Scottish pre season tour , but nothing. So here are a few more -

Mick admires his dream set of wheels at Alloa
  • Options
    Cowdenbeath

and Dunfermline

• Options
    Posted on Twitter by @1dev - 1936. Does anyone know what the building above the East Terrace was?

Great pic - never seen that before. Looks like a scoreboard in the ground rather than a building outside it?
  • Options

Brings back so many memories.
    All the years I stood on the East Terrace, 1962-82, if we came from Abbey Wood on the train we would go through the Abbey Grove turnstiles.
    If we came by bus we would usually walk from Woolwich Road along Charlton Lane and Harvey Gardens and come in through the covered end turnstiles.
    Once we started driving to games we used to park in Eastmoor Street or Stones or somewhere off the Woolwich Road. Then it was Lads of the Village/Thames Barrier Arms, The Victoria and The Horse and Groom or Watermans Arms before the game.
    Never did drink in the Antigallican. Or the Oak for that matter
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Posted on Twitter by @1dev - 1936. Does anyone know what the building above the East Terrace was?

brilliant ... completely new pic for me ... but not convinced it is the Valley
  • Options
    Definitely 100% the valley.
  • Options
    Acab said:
    Then what are the buildings? 
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Acab said:
    Then what are the buildings? 
    There were a few bombs dropped in the locality 4/5 years later. I suspect not every building withstood the might of the Luftwaffe.
  • Options
    Steve Bridge postcard, currently on eBay. Man Utd away in the cup.
    Looks like Ian and Ronnie Whitehead in there. They used to love in Harvey Gardens